PDA

View Full Version : Where to go with this character? [3.5]

Shnigda
2015-11-05, 06:41 PM
Hi all, been a while since I last posted, but I am at a quandary with how to progress my character and what items to buy for him.
I am currently thinking about upgrading my shortbow to a composite longbow (+1 STR) and am considering getting Staggering Strike ASAP (Which I think should be at level 9 unless I take a class at level 8 which grants me +1 BAB and another choice of feat). I am also considering getting rid of my short sword for a cutlass (Stormwrack p.107) as it is a finessable slashing weapon.

The current build is as follows (as far as I can tell there aren't any mistakes, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)(Also, the level up choices that I have made for the most recent level up will be in square brackets):

Race: Elf
Level: 8
Class: Rogue 5/Swashbuckler 2/[Shadowdancer 1] (This can be changed as we have only just leveled up at the end of the last session)
Alignment: CN
Deity: Olidammara
Ability scores: STR: 12 DEX: 24 (+1 at lvl 4, [+1 at lvl 8], +2 from gloves of dexterity) CON: 12 INT: 12 WIS: 10 CHA: 10
HP: 54 (49 at level 7)
Flaws: Meagre Fortitude
Feats (Following Pathfinder feat progression): Lvl 1: Dodge (for flaw), Two-Weapon Fighting. Lvl 3: Penetrating Strike (ACF for Trap Sense), Combat Reflexes. Lvl 5: Mobility. Lvl 6: Weapon Finesse (From Swashbuckler). Lvl 7: Craven. [Lvl 8: Hide in Plain Sight (From Shadowdancer)]
Skills: Balance: 5 ranks. Bluff: 10 ranks [+1 at lvl 8 to take to 11]. Disable Device: 1 rank. Hide: 10 ranks [+1 at lvl 8 to take to 11]. Move silently: 10 ranks [+1 at lvl 8 to take to 11]. Open lock: 5 ranks. Perform (Dance): 5 ranks. Search: 5 ranks. Sleight of Hand: 10 ranks [+1 at lvl 8 to take to 11]. Spot: 9 ranks. Tumble: 10 ranks [+1 at lvl 8 to take to 11]. Use Magic Device: 5 ranks [+2 at lvl 8 to take to 6].

Magic Items: Amulet of tears, Mithralmist chain shirt, Rapier +1, Shadow Cloak, Gloves of Dexterity +2, Crystal of return (lesser), Oil of Bless Weapon x1, Potion of Protection from Evil x1
Mundane Items: Short Sword (probably changing to a cutlass), Sap, Shortbow (probably changing to Composite longbow (+1 STR)), Tanglefoot bag x2, Thief's tools, Bag of Marbles x4, various other small items like bags, bedrolls etc...
Money: PP: 790, GP: 1233, SP: 7, CP: 0.

Any advice on what items would be much appreciated; what feats would be useful and whether there is a better alternative to Shadowdancer for my next level.
Also, please don't just point me to the Rogue's Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?156350-3-5-The-Rogue-Handbook-A-Fistful-of-d6), I have read that many a time and would just like some creative input from the community.
Thank you!

EDIT: Also, if there is any way of increasing the maximum dexterity bonus of my Mithralmist chain shirt that would be much appreciated!
EDIT 2: All books are available

nedz
2015-11-05, 07:56 PM
Obviously your level 9 feat will be Daring Outlaw (CSco p76).

It depends what you want to do with your character, which can depend upon the nature of the game you are playing it in.

Daring Outlaw adds your Swash and Rogue levels together for determining Grace and Sneak — so more levels of these would be obvious — choosing Rogue for Skill points or Swash for BAB. Your Int does seem a bit low for a skill monkey and limits Insightful Strike to +1 damage — so Swash 3 is of limited appeal.

A Shadowdancer dip is good for Hide in plain sight, but the rest of the class is too limiting to be useful.

Your stats don't really support casting, but you should be able to afford a stat boosting item.
Beguiler 1 / Unseen Seer X would give you some useful spells, but it's a little late in the game.

Ed:
A one or two level Warlock dip could be handy. A ranged touch magical attack and Det Magic are useful together with one or two least invocations. Eldritch Glaive would give you a reach touch magical attack, and there are several other options.

Flickerdart
2015-11-05, 08:13 PM
What books do you have available, and are you playing with fractional BAB? A dip into Swordsage will be pretty useful for you. Select stances, boosts, and counters that don't require melee weapons so you can use them with your bow as well as your sword.

xyianth
2015-11-05, 10:58 PM
At this point, you are heavily invested into qualifying for shadowdancer. Fortunately, those feats and skill ranks can also be used to qualify you for other things if that is not what you want anymore. Here are a few options to consider:

build: rogue 5/swashbuckler 2/totemist 2/umbral disciple 3/telflammar shadowlord 4/swordsage 2/telflammar shadowlord +2
feats: dodge[flaw], two-weapon fighting[1], combat reflexes[3], mobility[5], weapon finesse[6*], craven[7], spring attack[9], blind-fight[11], staggering strike[13], daring outlaw[15], shadow blade[17], gloom razor[19]

This gets you hide in plain sight(embrace of shadow), dimension door as a move action at-will (blink shirt bound to totem), shadow pounce, assassin's stance, dex to damage, save vs stagger, +7d6 sneak attack, and death attack. You can grab shadow jaunt as a maneuver to allow 2x full attacks in one round per combat.

If you don't want to be a shadow pouncer, you could instead try out thief of life:
build: rogue 5/swashbuckler 2/dragonfire adept 1/swordsage 2/thief of life 10
feats: dodge[flaw], two-weapon fighting[1], combat reflexes[3], mobility[5], weapon finesse[6*], craven[7], blend into shadows[9], staggering strike[11], daring outlaw[13], shadow blade[15], gloom razor[17], dragonfire strike[19]

This gets you hide in plain sight as a swift action(blend into shadows), assassin's stance, dex to damage, save vs stagger, +10d6 sneak attack, and the ability to gain immunities and temp hp from killing things.

And of course, if you just want to maximize sneak attack damage, you can splash as many classes that grant sneak attack until you get enough.

Note: rogue 5/swashbuckler 2/shadowdancer 1/totemist 2/telflammar shadowlord 4/rogue +6 is a perfectly fine build as well.

atemu1234
2015-11-05, 11:15 PM
Not too late to go Ur-Priest.