PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need Help Creating Diablo and Baal from Diablo 2 Game

Molan
2015-11-05, 11:45 PM
Hello Playground.

I need help creating a pair of BBEGs.

The project is Diablo and Baal from the Diablo 3 games.

Criteria:
- No Gestalt
- Diablo built for party of level 14-16 adventurers.
- Baal built for level 20's+
- No Gestalt
- No Traits
- Max 2 Flaws
- no ToB/ToM
- Diablo should somehow incorporate a possessed Warrior character, and Baal should somehow incorporate a possessed Mage.

Help!

Kol Korran
2015-11-06, 12:29 AM
An important question: do you plan sing them in the same story context as s in the game? Meaning, will they just be a one time battle encounter? (Diablo in he'll, Baal at the Worldstone) or do you envision more interaction with the world, with the PCs? If so, what exactly would you like them to be able to do?

Spore
2015-11-06, 03:02 AM
For Dibbels himself I'd go for a customized Cornugon. Use a self centered Fireball for the flame aura and give him a flame breath (x times HD/2 Fire and Holy Dmg, DC 10 + Con + HD/2). Are you trying to emulate the Diablo 3 or Diablo 2 Bossfight? Does this mean he should be able to cast Ice Assassin or not? If you give Diablo all that, you should probably just use a Pit Fiend, give your players some assistance (Holy Weapons for example), make it the only battle of the day and turn up the difficulty to eleven. It's the Lord of Hell and not some random encounter pushover.

Molan
2015-11-06, 10:16 AM
An important question: do you plan sing them in the same story context as s in the game? Meaning, will they just be a one time battle encounter? (Diablo in he'll, Baal at the Worldstone) or do you envision more interaction with the world, with the PCs? If so, what exactly would you like them to be able to do?

Mostly I envisioned the end fight, tbh. Diablo spends most of his time during the story just trampsing across the world with some poor old guy in tow. Granted the forces of Hell all seemed to crop up wherever he tread but HE didn't necessarily do much.

Baal conversely built up a huge army and led it on a massive assault on the barbarians, so he had a good deal more interaction. So I guess I'm split on him. Thing is that I really enjoyed the PCs progression through Act V so I'm loathe to change it and give them more pre-world stone action.

This is D2 setting, to answer the other question that was prompted.

Spore
2015-11-06, 03:22 PM
The project is Diablo and Baal from the Diablo 3 games.!

This is D2 setting, to answer the other question that was prompted.

Uh....well?

Hunter Noventa
2015-11-06, 03:29 PM
I vaguely recall there being some kind of official Diablo 2 supplements for 3.0 way back in the day, if you can track those down it MIGHT have something for Diablo, but I don't think it was ever updated for the expansion.

Molan
2015-11-06, 05:54 PM
Uh....well?

That was a typo, lol...decisively D2.

Battleship789
2015-11-06, 07:48 PM
For Diablo, you could probably get away with an unmodified pit fiend. Ability-wise, they are pretty similar and they even look alike. Remember that Diablo (and Baal) rarely use their melee attacks, preferring to spam magic.

Going off the game for Diablo (Diablo 2):

Basic Melee attacks: Okay, easy enough...
Charge Melee attack: Again, pretty easy
Cold Based Melee attack: Looks like a touch attack that applies a slow and cold damage, maybe Shivering Touch or applying a Slow/movement reducing effect on a melee attack? I know there are cold spells that reduce movement, but I cannot think of one right now
Firewall: Wall of Fire :smallwink:
Fire Nova: Pretty similar to an Enlarged Greater Fireburst (CArc)
Firestorm: Just a Firestorm cast at ground level?
Pink Lightning: This does Lightning and Physical damage...Not sure where to go here. Possibly a souped up version of Lightning Bolt? A half lightning/half physical breath weapon? (Even if it isn't technically a breath weapon, he certainly spams it like one...)
Bone Cage on Town Portal: Uh, Dimensional Lock/Anchor with Spell Thematics?

You could probably take out a few of the pit fiend's SLAs that don't fit with Diablo (invisibility being the worst offender) and swap in Firestorm, Wall of Fire, and Greater Fireburst and call it a day. If you want to go further you can change the feat selection (probably removing Cleave and Great Cleave and replacing them with more SLA boosting feats) and add custom abilities like the cold touch or the lightning attack (removing the disease and poison effects from his physical attacks?)

I can't think of any specific creatures that would fit nicely as a template for Baal (Demogorgon miiiiiight work..., Fiendish Codex) but you can go through his in-game abilities and find D&D comparisons that can give you a starting point:

Tentacle summoning (Black Tentacles or a creature), Fire Nova, Ice/Cold Wedge, curses (reduced AC?, taking damage for casting spells?), teleportation, mana drain (losing spell slots/PP?), and clones (Body Outside Body/Clone/Simulacrum/Ice Assassin/Custom Ability).

Molan
2015-11-06, 10:17 PM
That's pretty excellent, lol.

Demogorgon's an option but a bit of a stretch. I think your out fiend mods are spot on.

Any idea how to create one such creature as the result of a possessed mortal turning IN to a super powered demon warlord?

Spore
2015-11-06, 10:48 PM
Pathfinder has Demon Possessed Templates. Aiden (in the retcon the dark wanderer is the son of King Leoric and Diablo 1's Warrior) is most likely a very high level fighter. Personally I wouldn't give Baal a possessed form just because a demon on itself is powerful enough. Stacking wizard casting upon it seems overkill.

XionUnborn01
2015-11-07, 02:05 AM
In case you're wondering, the Diablo 2 tabletop can be found on Amazon here (http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-Tabletop-RPG-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/078691548X/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Y6S3HQ0JL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR123%2C160_&refRID=1698A2DQD29DPYSRNG31) I remember it being a really low power level but if you can find the guide somewhere, you may be able to use it as a reference.

Molan
2015-11-07, 02:17 PM
Thank you both!

Yea I just haven't been sold on plunking down more money on books just yet if it could be avoided. This could help though.

So far the PCs are only into the desert, and I'm enjoying torturing the crap out of them with mummies and heat and horrible death beetles. But I want these fights to have to real impact that they did in the game when you first go to face them, while keeping them mechanically solvent.

Diablo ideas are super helpful though. And yea I assumed the wanderer was the D1 warrior and just like a level 15+ fighter.

[EDIT]: I should mention it's a five man crew, Barbarian (who's considering dipping fighter), Paladin (Scythe, Lance charge/Crit/Smite based), Rogue/Assassin (considering dipping shadowdancer), Dread Necromancer, and a Sorcerer. So they're pretty damage heavy, not much versatility.

Battleship789
2015-11-07, 04:14 PM
If you want to go with the Dark Wanderer and Diablo having the same stat sheet (which I think is what is causing confusion), I can't think of anything mechanically that would fit, except for Polymorph Any Object cheese [Heavy cheese, PAO cast twice for the same type makes it permanent: Human to Large Devil lasts 12 hours (only relation is Kingdom, both are animals), then Large Devil to Diablo is permanent (Same Kingdom, Class, Size)] or True Mind Switch (which doesn't make sense, as there would have to be a Diablo body sitting around). I don't think there is any build that can be both a high level fighter and Diablo from a human base. Shapechange or a normal Polymorph effect won't work because they can be dispelled and Diablo is his true form, not the Wanderer, and I don't think there exists any 5-8 level combination of classes and prestige classes that gives the options that Diablo would need to be able to fight in his true form at a decent power level (Large Size, SLAs, claws, bite, Fear Aura, etc.). Also, using items to fill in the gaps doesn't fit fluff-wise, other than giving them to him in a Soulstone artifact.

IMO, it is probably best to give the Wanderer and Diablo separate stat blocks as Diablo is only using the Wanderer as a host so he can walk around Sanctuary without being detected by Tyrael, as far as I can remember, with the same reasoning for Baal and Tal Rasha. If you plan on making the party fight the Dark Wanderer, I'd go with a 12-15th level fighter with the Half-Fiend template. That gives the fighting skills of the Wanderer plus a few abilities that hint Diablo has possessed him. Calling back to the Wanderer is pretty easy during the fight with Diablo: if the party asks about the Wanderer, have Diablo say something along the lines of "I threw that husk of a mortal body away, this is my true form," or have the party witness the Wanderer turn into Diablo, ala the Act 4 cutscene.

I will try to stat up full versions of Diablo and Baal tomorrow. I was going to do so yesterday, but I was running on zero sleep for 30 hours and I am going to be busy today.

Spore
2015-11-07, 05:08 PM
I don't think the transformation into Diablo is reversible either way so you could just sacrifice the host body to practically yourself in order to "summon" Diablo. Prince Albrecht, Aiden and Leah are consumed by transforming into Diablo. Every time a soulstone is involved so maybe just make this a Magic Jar spell (DC 10+1/2 a Pit Fiend's HD + Pit Fiend's Cha) to possess Albrecht (possibly just a noble), Aidan (Fighter) or Leah (Bard).

They are later devoured, allowing Diablo to maintain a physical form on the Prime Material (and thus making it impossible for the casters to banish him with a simple spell).

Molan
2015-11-07, 06:13 PM
If you want to go with the Dark Wanderer and Diablo having the same stat sheet (which I think is what is causing confusion), I can't think of anything mechanically that would fit, except for Polymorph Any Object cheese [Heavy cheese, PAO cast twice for the same type makes it permanent: Human to Large Devil lasts 12 hours (only relation is Kingdom, both are animals), then Large Devil to Diablo is permanent (Same Kingdom, Class, Size)] or True Mind Switch (which doesn't make sense, as there would have to be a Diablo body sitting around). I don't think there is any build that can be both a high level fighter and Diablo from a human base. Shapechange or a normal Polymorph effect won't work because they can be dispelled and Diablo is his true form, not the Wanderer, and I don't think there exists any 5-8 level combination of classes and prestige classes that gives the options that Diablo would need to be able to fight in his true form at a decent power level (Large Size, SLAs, claws, bite, Fear Aura, etc.). Also, using items to fill in the gaps doesn't fit fluff-wise, other than giving them to him in a Soulstone artifact.

IMO, it is probably best to give the Wanderer and Diablo separate stat blocks as Diablo is only using the Wanderer as a host so he can walk around Sanctuary without being detected by Tyrael, as far as I can remember, with the same reasoning for Baal and Tal Rasha. If you plan on making the party fight the Dark Wanderer, I'd go with a 12-15th level fighter with the Half-Fiend template. That gives the fighting skills of the Wanderer plus a few abilities that hint Diablo has possessed him. Calling back to the Wanderer is pretty easy during the fight with Diablo: if the party asks about the Wanderer, have Diablo say something along the lines of "I threw that husk of a mortal body away, this is my true form," or have the party witness the Wanderer turn into Diablo, ala the Act 4 cutscene.

I will try to stat up full versions of Diablo and Baal tomorrow. I was going to do so yesterday, but I was running on zero sleep for 30 hours and I am going to be busy today.

That would be fantastic. Also very good points. Yea I guess I was thinking there would be some way to have one character that's possessed who eventually becomes the Act 4 Diablo monster but I would agree that practicality sort of negates that. The Dark Wanderer duel is a good idea just from the standpoint of cool. I mean instead of vanishing and dropping monsters on the PCs at the beginning of Act 3 he could just fight them. Could add for some plot twists.

Seems like employing the Soul Stone as an item that creates the effect is a simple enough mechanical bridge. I would appreciate your stat work though.

I don't think the transformation into Diablo is reversible either way so you could just sacrifice the host body to practically yourself in order to "summon" Diablo. Prince Albrecht, Aiden and Leah are consumed by transforming into Diablo. Every time a soulstone is involved so maybe just make this a Magic Jar spell (DC 10+1/2 a Pit Fiend's HD + Pit Fiend's Cha) to possess Albrecht (possibly just a noble), Aidan (Fighter) or Leah (Bard).

They are later devoured, allowing Diablo to maintain a physical form on the Prime Material (and thus making it impossible for the casters to banish him with a simple spell).

Which brings me to THIS quote which I also really appreciate. I think the Magic-Jar-Possession effect, being centered around a "head" item that is forcefully jammed into the Host's (Warrior's) skull really ties the whole thing together nicely. Throw on the Fiendish template and we've really got something, methinks.

The Glyphstone
2015-11-07, 06:21 PM
If you don't mind tweaking canon a bit, you could have the Dark Wanderer be a recurring mini-boss at the end of each 'act'. In Act 2, he's just a high-level Fighter, maybe with some demon allies, and he retreats via some sort of item/Contingent spell of teleportation when he's reduced to low health. In Act 3, now he's got the Fiendish or Half- Fiend template, as Diablo's essence is starting to visibly leak out of him, and you get another miniboss+minions fight. At the end of Act 4, they are expecting Dark Wanderer, Round 3, but instead Diablo is like 'nuts to this' when they confront him (suggestion to use the Hellforge as the end-boss battle site, rather than being a sidequest) and rips his way out of the meatsack in front of them for the real boss fight.

Battleship789
2015-11-08, 03:27 PM
That would be fantastic. Also very good points. Yea I guess I was thinking there would be some way to have one character that's possessed who eventually becomes the Act 4 Diablo monster but I would agree that practicality sort of negates that. The Dark Wanderer duel is a good idea just from the standpoint of cool. I mean instead of vanishing and dropping monsters on the PCs at the beginning of Act 3 he could just fight them. Could add for some plot twists.

Seems like employing the Soul Stone as an item that creates the effect is a simple enough mechanical bridge. I would appreciate your stat work though.

Which brings me to THIS quote which I also really appreciate. I think the Magic-Jar-Possession effect, being centered around a "head" item that is forcefully jammed into the Host's (Warrior's) skull really ties the whole thing together nicely. Throw on the Fiendish template and we've really got something, methinks.

Forgot about Magic Jar... :smallredface: That should work perfectly!

As for stat blocks:

Diablo, Lord of Terror
Large Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful)
HD 20d8+160 (250 hp)
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 80 ft. (good)
Init: +12
AC 45; touch 21; flat-footed 37
(-1 size, +8 Dex, +24 natural, +4 deflection)
BAB +20; Grp +37
Attack Claw +32 melee (2d8+13)
Full-Attack 2 Claws +32 melee (2d8+13) and 2 wings + 30 melee (2d6+6) and bite +30 melee (4d6+6) and tail slap +30 melee (2d8+6)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Breath Weapon, Chilling Touch, Constrict 2d8+26, fear aura, improved grab, pounce, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities Damage reduction 15/magic and good and silver, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fear, fire and poison, resistance to acid 20, electricity 20 and cold 20, regeneration 15, see in darkness, spell resistance 30 (25 vs good), telepathy 100 ft., true seeing, unholy aura
Saves Fort +24 Ref +24 Will +24
Abilities Str 37, Dex 27, Con 27, Int 26, Wis 26, Cha 26
Skills Balance +10, Bluff +31, Climb +35, Concentration +31, Diplomacy +10, Disguise +31 (+33 acting), Hide +27, Intimidate +33, Jump +42, Knowledge (arcana) +31, Knowledge (nature) +10, Knowledge (the planes) +31, Knowledge (religion) +31, Listen +31, Move Silently +31, Search +31, Spellcraft +33, Spot +31, Survival +8 (+10 on other planes, +10 when tracking), Tumble +33
Feats Corrupt Spell-like Ability, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (wall of fire), Shock Trooper
Environment The Chaos Sanctuary
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 20
Treasure Quadruple standard
Alignment Lawful Evil
Advancement None
Level Adjustment -

Combat
Diablo’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons he wields, are treated as magical, evil-aligned and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Breath Weapon (Su)
80 ft. Line, once every 1d4 rounds, damage 40d6 electricity and untyped (half damage is electricity and half damage is untyped), Reflex Save DC 28 half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Chilling Touch (Su)
As a standard action, Diablo may make a melee touch attack. On a successful attack, the target takes 15d6 cold damage and is slowed for 5 rounds. A DC 33 Fortiude Save halves the damage and the slow effect's duration. The save DC is Strength-based.

Constrict (Ex)
Diablo deals 2d8+26 points of damage with a successful grapple check.

Fear Aura (Su)
Diablo constantly radiates a 20-foot-radius fear aura. A creature in the aura must succeed on a DC 28 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 20th). Creatures normally immune to fear are still subject to the fear aura, though they gain a +5 bonus on the Will save. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by Diablo’s aura for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, Diablo must hit with his tail slap attack. He can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

If he wins the grapple check, he establishes a hold and can constrict.

Pounce (Ex)
If Diablo charges an enemy, he can make a full attack at the end of the charge.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will—blasphemy (DC 25), fireball (DC 21), fire storm (DC 26), greater dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), mass hold monster (DC 27), power word stun, wall of fire, widened greater fireburst (DC 23); 1/day—meteor swarm (DC 27). Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

True Seeing (Su)
Diablo continuously uses true seeing, as the spell (caster level 20th).

Unholy Aura (Su)
Diablo continuously uses unholy aura (DC 28), as the spell (caster level 20th), bonuses included in stat block. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Regeneration (Ex)
Diablo takes normal damage from good-aligned silvered weapons, and from spells or effects with the good descriptor.

Baal, Lord of Destruction
Large Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful)
HD 25d8+275 (387 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (10 squares), fly 80 ft. (good)
Init +18
AC 55; touch 26; flat-footed 45
(-1 size, +10 Dex, +30 natural, +6 deflection)
BAB +25; Grp +41
Attack Tendril +36 melee (2d6+12)
Full-Attack 8 Tendrils +36 melee (2d6+12)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Constrict 2d8+24, Curse, Festering Appendages, Hoarfrost, improved grab, Spell Rift, spell-like abilities, Vile Effigy
Special Qualities Damage reduction 20/magic and good and silver, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fear, fire and poison, resistance to acid 20, electricity 20 and cold 20, regeneration 20, see in darkness, spell resistance 35 (37 vs good), telepathy 100 ft., true seeing, unholy aura
Saves Fort +31 Ref +30 Will +30
Abilities Str 35, Dex 30, Con 32, Int 26, Wis 30, Cha 35
Skills Balance +12, Bluff +40, Climb +39, Concentration +39, Diplomacy +14, Disguise +40 (+42 acting), Hide +34, Intimidate +42, Jump +46, Knowledge (arcana) +36, Knowledge (nature) +10, Knowledge (the planes) +36, Knowledge (religion) +36, Listen +38, Move Silently +38, Search +36, Spellcraft +38, Spot +38, Survival +10 (+12 on other planes, +12 when tracking), Tumble +40
Feats Combat Reflexes, Corrupt Spell-like Ability, Improved Initiative, Maximize Spell-Like Ability (greater fireburst, greater shout), Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (greater dispel magic, greater teleport), Superior Initiative
Environment The Worldstone Chamber
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 25
Treasure Quadruple standard
Alignment Lawful Evil
Advancement None
Level Adjustment -

Combat
Baal’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons he wields, are treated as epic, evil-aligned and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Constrict (Ex)
Baal deals 2d6+24 points of damage with a successful grapple check.

Curse (Su)
As a standard action, Baal may curse all creatures in a 20 ft. radius burst within 100 ft. for 5 rounds. Baal may choose one of two curses (DC 34 Will negates), the save DC is Charisma-based.

Defense Curse—Any creature who is under the effect of this curse loses all Armor and Shield bonuses to AC for the duration of the curse.
Blood Spells—Any creature who attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability while under the effects of this curse takes 2 damage per spell level and must make a concentration check (DC 10 + damage taken) to cast the spell.

Festering Appendages
As a swift action, Baal may summon 1d2 Festering Appendages within 100 ft.. Festering Appendages are medium Lawful Evil Outsiders with the following stats:

HD 3d8+33 (45 hp)
Speed 0 ft.
AC 25 (+10 Dex, +5 Natural), touch 20, flat-footed 15
BAB/Grapple +25/37
Space/Reach 5 ft./10 ft.
Attacks +36 2 Tendrils (2d6+12)
SA Constrict (as Baal), Improved Grab (as Baal)
SQ Damage reduction 15/epic and good and silver, Immunity to Fire and Poison, Resistance acid 20, electricity 20 and cold 20, fast healing 10, spell resistance 25, Mindless
Saves Fort +14, Ref +13, Will +13
Abilities Str 34, Dex 30, Con 32, Int -, Wis 30, Cha 34
Feats Combat Reflexes, Power Attack

Festering Appendages are immune to all of Baal's Spell-Like Abilities and Supernatural Abilities.

Hoarfrost (Su)
As a standard action, Baal may emit a wave of Hoarfrost. Hoarfrost does 30d6 cold and unholy damage (half cold and half unholy, DC 34 Reflex for half) in a 60 ft. cone. Additionally, all affected creatures are subjected to a bull rush attack (Hoarfrost has a +17 bonus on the opposed Strength check) and are automatically pushed back an additional 5 ft. for each 5 points by which the wave beats their Strength checks, in a straight line between Baal and the creature. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, Baal must hit with his tendril attack. He can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

If he wins the grapple check, he establishes a hold and can constrict.

Spell Rift (Su)
As a standard action, Baal rips spells away from spellcasters in a 60 ft cone (DC 34 Will negates.) Spellcasters who fail the save lose one prepared spell from each spell level known. Spellcasters who do not prepare spells instead lose a spell slot from each spell level known. This ability may only be used every 1d4+1 rounds.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will—blasphemy (DC 29), greater dispel magic, greater shout (DC 30), greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), mass hold monster (DC 31), power word stun, widened greater fireburst (DC 27), 1/day—implosion (DC 31), power word kill. Caster level Xth. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

True Seeing (Su)
Baal continuously uses true seeing, as the spell (caster level 25th).

Unholy Aura (Su)
Baal continuously uses a 150% powered unholy aura (DC 34), as the spell (all effects are increased by 150%: Deflection to AC +6, Resistance to Saves +6, SR 37 vs Good, 1d6*1.5 Strength Damage, caster level 25th), bonuses included in stat block. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Vile Effigy (Su)
As an immediate action, Baal may create a clone of himself at any point within 100 ft. and he may choose to swap locations with the clone (this does not provoke an attack of opportunity.) The clone is mechanically identical to Baal as of the time of the clone's creation (there is a slight difference between Baal and the clone: a DC 50 Perception check is able to identify the real Baal) except it has half of Baal's hit points when the clone was created and it does not have the Vile Effigy ability. Baal and the clone are immune to each others' Spell-Like Abilities and Supernatural Abilities. The clone acts on Baal's Initiative count. Baal may only have one clone active at a time; if he reuses this ability, the previous clone is destroyed. After using this ability, Baal must wait 1d4+1 round before using it again.

Regeneration (Ex)
Baal takes normal damage from good-aligned silvered weapons, and from spells or effects with the good descriptor.

I apologize ahead of time for any math mistakes/typos, I am pretty tired right now. And I have no idea if they are CR'd appropriately. Though, I am pretty satisfied with how they turned out.