PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Heat and your games?

Jon_Dahl
2015-11-06, 02:30 AM
How do you guys handle heat in your games? I'm talking about hot summer (spring/fall) days. I think most games are set in summers, but it's not unusual to have 90° F during summers for several days in almost any country.

A character in very hot conditions (above 90° F) must make a Fortitude saving throw each hour (DC 15, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage. Characters wearing heavy clothing or armor of any sort take a -4 penalty on their saves. A character with the Survival skill may receive a bonus on this saving throw and may be able to apply this bonus to other characters as well. Characters reduced to unconsciousness begin taking lethal damage (1d4 points per hour).

Do you have your armored and heavily clothed characters roll these rolls, or do you always have enough Endure Elements spells with you?

I have modified the rule so that "armor of any sort" is always "metal armor of any sort". This is highly debatable, but it has worked almost ok in my games. It still hurts melee guys A LOT.

Umbranar
2015-11-06, 02:40 AM
Currently Im playing in a desert campaign. My character is a native and has a ring of sustainance and a Comfort Cloak to survive. The rest of the party has to worry about endure elements all the time. Its basicly the only time we worry about heat since most of our games tend to be in temperate environments and our DMs dont bother raising or lowering the temperature to a threathening point.

Andezzar
2015-11-06, 02:52 AM
In the long run it is just a 500 gp surcharge on your adventuring gear. Least Crystal of Adaptation takes care of this problem.

If you start in a desert setting, people who take heavy armour should be penalized.

While I don't think armor should generally incur the save penalty, there are some weird cases with the RAW. Mithral must have tremendous heat dissipation properties, a full tin can (Full plate) does not incur the penalty if it is made from that material. A suit of chainmail does not incur the penalty even though it covers roughly the same area as a full plate.