PDA

View Full Version : Tome Of Battle...

Akennedy
2007-05-27, 02:05 PM
Just half a question/statement...

I've been putting some thought into introducing my group to the tomb of battle, however, in interest of keeping magic stronger (IMO, should be stronger regardless, hell, It's magic after all), thought of making magic under a recharge system, similar to what Unearthed Arcana suggests (or perhaps a spell point system where you recharges so many points per round, or concentrate to gain points back. Something like that).

I'm aiming to make melee classes more interesting than "You hit him with your mace" while keeping magic decently good. However, I realize recharge magic would lead to a party never needing to sleep, however, I thought it may be a okay idea.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Scorns? Lemme know asap!
Thanks for your time!

Matthew
2007-05-27, 02:10 PM
You're going to kill your entire group in a bloody battle and then entomb them?

Seriously, though, you're basically turning up the power of your group. It'll be fine, so long as you realise that it's going to screw with CR, EL, Experience and Wealth by Level. None of these should matter too much, so long as you are aware of them. It's not to my personal taste, but there's no reason to care about that either...

Fizban
2007-05-27, 02:12 PM
First of all, it's tome of battle, not a tomb.

Second, magic will still be better than ToB melee, it won't have lost any of it's reasons for being the awesome. The difference is that while magic is awesome, the fighters will be able to perform their role of fighting without the casters blowing all their spells to set up a situation where the fighter can do so. ToB makes fighters capable of doing their thing, but they still can't do as much as a caster can.

Powering up casters will just mess things up.

Arg, ninja'd on the spelling.

Ryuuk
2007-05-27, 02:16 PM
Consider using the vitalizing variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm#spellPointVariantVitalizing) then. You said so yourself, magic is stronger, you probably shouldn't be throwing spells around in the same way a martial adept throws around maneuvers. Under this variant, Spells wear down the caster, but it's also possible to regain them without needing eight ours of continuous sleep. 1 hour will get you back to 1 third your points, 2 to 2 thirds and the remaining 6 to full.

Spellcasters wouldn't be able to go on forever, but a break every once in a while will refresh them plenty enough. It would work out pretty well, the warriors focus on working their body so they can push it farther. The casters focus on their mind so they can't go on forever, but can do much more.

Akennedy
2007-05-27, 02:19 PM
For the record, I should read the dictionary more >_>
Well, kay, the only particular thing I don't like about the tom<b>E</b> of battle if that the abilities are usable unlimited times a day. While understandable why they can, I think it would keep fighters elevated enough to pose a threat to a casters, and keep casters good enough to not have to worry about spells per day. It may or may not be a dumb reason to upgrade casters with fighters, je ne sais pas.

Akennedy
2007-05-27, 02:22 PM
Consider using the vitalizing variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm#spellPointVariantVitalizing) then. You said so yourself, magic is stronger, you probably shouldn't be throwing spells around in the same way a martial adept throws around maneuvers. Under this variant, Spells wear down the caster, but it's also possible to regain them without needing eight ours of continuous sleep. 1 hour will get you back to 1 third your points, 2 to 2 thirds and the remaining 6 to full.

Spellcasters wouldn't be able to go on forever, but a break every once in a while will refresh them plenty enough. It would work out pretty well, the warriors focus on working their body so they can push it farther. The casters focus on their mind so they can't go on forever, but can do much more.

I'm liking your thoughts... I'm liking them a lot....
However, with that variant, it can get a little messy with spells that get rid of fatigue and exhaustion (clerics. I think restoration). However, I like the plan as of yet. (thank you!)

Yuki Akuma
2007-05-27, 02:34 PM
Magic is innately stronger than martial maneuvers. That's just the way it is. The infinite uses thing doesn't make a difference; after all, look at your pal the Warlock.

Whiplord
2007-05-27, 03:04 PM
For the record, I should read the dictionary more >_>
Well, kay, the only particular thing I don't like about the tomE of battle if that the abilities are usable unlimited times a day. While understandable why they can, I think it would keep fighters elevated enough to pose a threat to a casters, and keep casters good enough to not have to worry about spells per day. It may or may not be a dumb reason to upgrade casters with fighters, je ne sais pas.

Thing is, a decent wizrd doesn't need unlimted uses to take down a fighter. usually no more than 1-2 spells.