PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Can a phantom become a demon?

Xuldarinar
2015-11-06, 03:33 AM
I know it is a strange question, though one that people wouldn't have to limit to just a spiritualist's phantoms, but bare with me on this one.

Could a phantom undertake the transformation ritual and become a demon? If so, what would this mean for the phantom and their spiritualist?

This idea stemmed from an attempt, though not posted, of creating an archetype for the spiritualist that hosts a shadow demon. Recalling the ritual, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if a phantom undertook the process and what interactions would follow. Naturally, in this case, I'd assume the phantom would be of the jealousy emotional focus.

Edit: For reference, in the guide mentioned in my signature I discuss the ritual, and the ritual is detailed here. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/demon)

Milo v3
2015-11-06, 05:39 AM
I don't think it would work, as the ritual repeatedly mentions the participant as "mortal", and phantoms are not mortals. Also having a phantom turn into a demon would mean that the spiritualist has failed in their role as a tether keeping the phantom from reaching their afterlife.

Xuldarinar
2015-11-06, 06:50 AM
I don't think it would work, as the ritual repeatedly mentions the participant as "mortal", and phantoms are not mortals. Also having a phantom turn into a demon would mean that the spiritualist has failed in their role as a tether keeping the phantom from reaching their afterlife.

While I don't think it conflicts as much as you think thematically, especially if one took the fated guide approach.

I will concede, however, that yes.. Mortal would likely be the key word there to nix it.