PDA

View Full Version : Manowar

Nomrom
2007-05-27, 02:19 PM
I got into metal a little more than a year ago. I of course heard about the band Manowar, but I had never heard any of their stuff. When I saw they had a new CD, Gods of War, out, I decided to buy it. I thought it was really good. I wanted to know what other people thought of it in comparison to the rest of their stuff. Better? Worse? About the same? Same type of style? I'm kind of low on money so I like to know these things before I buy CD's.

Driderman
2007-05-27, 02:31 PM
Manowar is good for laughs and if you like Hero Metal, you'll probably be slightly ashamed that you also enjoy them for their artistic merits :smallbiggrin:

If you want to listen to real metal, I suggest something else. Been some time since I've been into the Metal scene so I wouldn't really know what to suggest.... Nile are good though, if I remember correctly.

cthulhu_waits
2007-05-27, 04:44 PM
No offense to the fans out there, but I find Manowar to be a complete joke. I liked them when I was 14 and my best friend was telling me how bad they sucked, but I didn't listen. I should have because I'm ashamed to admit I ever liked them. They are the Kiss of the heavy metal. And no, Kiss is not heavy metal. They're just crap.

If you get an urge to listen to Manowar, just listen to Iron Maiden instead. Similar types of music, but one is a real band and the other is a bad joke.

But to answer your question: if you liked one album you'll probably like the others because as near as I can tell they do the same album over and over again. This is the content of every album:

WE ARE THE KINGS OF METAL AND WE WILL KILL ALL OUR ENEMIES WITH SWORDS AND BATTLE AXES AND THEN RIDE MOTORCYCLES!

At least, that's what I remember.

Logic
2007-05-27, 05:20 PM
No offense to the fans out there, but I find Manowar to be a complete joke. I liked them when I was 14 and my best friend was telling me how bad they sucked, but I didn't listen. I should have because I'm ashamed to admit I ever liked them. They are the Kiss of the heavy metal. And no, Kiss is not heavy metal. They're just crap.

If you get an urge to listen to Manowar, just listen to Iron Maiden instead. Similar types of music, but one is a real band and the other is a bad joke.

But to answer your question: if you liked one album you'll probably like the others because as near as I can tell they do the same album over and over again. This is the content of every album:

WE ARE THE KINGS OF METAL AND WE WILL KILL ALL OUR ENEMIES WITH SWORDS AND BATTLE AXES AND THEN RIDE MOTORCYCLES!

At least, that's what I remember.
I liked only 2 of the "greatest hits" from Iron Maiden. Their most recent CD was very good.

As for Manowar, I can't give a concrete opinion, because I don't remember any of their music.

Lord of the Helms
2007-05-27, 07:42 PM
Manowar is probably the most inconsistent band in the universe. There's seriously no album of theirs I can listen to from beginning to end, but I'll be damend if they haven't made some excellent tunes. I personally would name Fighting the World, Battle Hymns, Sign of the Hammer and Louder than Hell as the closest they came to making mostly enjoyable albums, but even those have some songs that I woul only listen to at gunpoint or out of morbid curiosity.

I didn't really like their last album. The narrations really annoyed me, and to be frank their attempts at making "classical" interludes just don't appeal to me in the slightest. It does feature some really fun songs though, stuff like Sleipnir, King of Kings and Sons of Odin are nicely done catchy heavy metal numbers.

And Driderman: Nile isn't bad at all, but a bit, well, off stylistically, when we're talking about a traditional metal band like Manowar :smallwink:

Dhavaer
2007-05-27, 07:55 PM
As with most bands, some stuff I love, some stuff is okay, some I can't listen to. Warriors of the World (United) and Call to Arms are some of my favourites.