PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Feat Help

Aquaseafoam
2007-05-27, 03:16 PM
Invert Spell [Metamagic Feat]

Inverted magic was developed for the purpose of fighting enemies who made heavy use of Antimagic fields. In essence, it treats normal squares as though they were effected by an Antimagic field and those affected by an antimagic field as if they were normal squares.

Prerequisites: Must have studied a tome containing the secret of inverted magic.

Benefits:When a spell is cast using this metamagic feat within an antimagic field, the spell behaves normally and is unaffected by any antimagic field. If cast outside an Antimagic field, the spell instantly fails. If the spell, at any time, passes through a square unaffected by an antimagic field, the spell fails as if it had encountered an antimagic field as a normal spell. Area of effect spells only affect squares within the antimagic field. If, at any time, the antimagic field moves, those squares no longer affected by the antimagic field lose effect as if they had encountered an antimagic field normally. An Inverted spell uses up a spell X slots higher than normal.

Special: This feat cannot be applied to spell with the summon descriptor or to the Spell Antimagic Field.

Okay, thats what I have so far. My problem is how many spell levels this should jack up a spell. I can see what could be potentially a few problems. A wizard preparing only inverted spells and antimagic field spells. On a side note, this feat will be extremely important in my upcoming campaign as there is a large group of enemies that projects Antimagic Fields that I will frequently have them encounter late game.

Hazkali
2007-05-27, 04:06 PM
Personally I would go with +1 or +2 spell level. The ability to overcome antimagic fields is a powerful one, but when the spell ceases to function outside an antimagic field it makes it less effective. I think +1 spell level is about right for Wizards and prepping casters, but +2 is right for Sorcerers and spontaneous casters, becuase the main area of abuse, oddly enough, is from Sorcerers, not Wizards.

When preparing a spell, unless the Wizard had knowledge that there was going to be enemies that had Antimagic fields (Beholders, etc) then there would be no point in prepping a spell with this, unless you also prepped an antimagic field in which to cast it, which is pointless. Sorcerers, on the other hand, could add this spontaneously and so be able to cast all their spells in an antimagic field given time.

What I would do, however, is increase the prerequisites. Maybe to Caster Level 10, with 2 other Metamagic feats, in addition to the "Studying the tome of Inverted magic", unless studying the tome has equally hard prerequisites.

Poppatomus
2007-05-27, 04:21 PM
then there would be no point in prepping a spell with this, unless you also prepped an antimagic field in which to cast it, which is pointless. Sorcerers, on the other hand, could add this spontaneously and so be able to cast all their spells in an antimagic field given time.

agreed that it should be lower for wiz than for sorc. Especially since, preparing an antimagic field to cast along with the spell effectivly raises the cost of the feat to +1 to the spell and a 6th level spell slot.

How does this feat work with, say a long duration mind effecting spell? could I cast one on you outside the field with no effect and then, if you entered the field during the duration of the spell the effect would trigger? (because the field just supresses magic, right, it doesn't disspell it.)

Aquaseafoam
2007-05-27, 05:20 PM
Right, so a +1 spell level for prepatory spell casters, and a +2 level for spontaneous casters.

Also, I think i'll also take your advice on the prereqs. The tome itself is a pain to get a hold of. The people with the antimagic fields use it mainly for their own spell casters, and anyone they find with knowledge of it likely doesn't have much longer to live.

To Poppatomus, you cant cast inverted spells outside an anti magic field, and your target must be within one also, if they move outside of it, it gets suppressed by the unaffected squares. If they reenter an antimagic field with it in effect, then yes, it triggers.