PDA

View Full Version : OtOoTPCs Roy Cantrip (spoilers)

Gaelbert
2007-05-27, 06:49 PM
As I was reading through On the Origins of the PCs again, I happened to notice that, during his conversation with his dad, I believe Eugene insinuated that Roy knew some cantrips by saying that Roy would be back to cantrips. I don't have the book with me right now, and I don't know if it has been discussed before, but what do you think those spells are and when or if he might use them?

jindra34
2007-05-27, 06:50 PM
As I was reading through On the Origins of the PCs again, I happened to notice that, during his conversation with his dad, I believe Eugene insinuated that Roy knew some cantrips by saying that Roy would be back to cantrips. I don't have the book with me right now, and I don't know if it has been discussed before, but what do you think those spells are and when or if he might use them?

Been done before. The consensus was Roy was still learning them and could not use them.

Gygaxphobia
2007-05-27, 06:56 PM
Yeah I reckon there is a big difference between casting spells in a class room with your teacher helping and casting quickly in a combat situation.

Except in Harry Potter of course, where first years are taught to cast cone of cold and paralysis with one word :)

Studoku
2007-05-27, 06:59 PM
Except in Harry Potter of course, where first years are taught to cast cone of cold and paralysis with one word :)
Harry potter wizards hog all the good spells. They even get Slay Living without allowing saves.

Glarx
2007-05-27, 07:03 PM
But only if their alignment allows for it. Lawful Good, for instance, doesn't. Chaotic evil? OH YEAH!

Therefore, Wizards should not be LG, but instead, CE.

Thank you.

Ladorak
2007-05-27, 07:06 PM
Harry potter wizards hog all the good spells. They even get Slay Living without allowing saves.

Just as well they never taught him 'Avoidus Half-Orcus big-ass axeus.' Seriously, if I didn't love Thog before that, I do now.

moleytov
2007-05-27, 07:15 PM
Sooo... on topic:: if Roy was learning a cantrip - what would it be?

holywhippet
2007-05-27, 10:50 PM

Not quite. In Order of the Phoenix they make it clear that the unforgivable curses require a fair amount of darkness in the caster. Someone like Harry who is good by nature can't actually use them.

Icewalker
2007-05-27, 10:56 PM
Actually that line "You'll be back to cantrips within a week" isn't in Origins, it is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html)

But yeah, this has been discussed before.

Gaelbert
2007-05-27, 11:01 PM
Yeah I reckon there is a big difference between casting spells in a class room with your teacher helping and casting quickly in a combat situation.

V spent her childhood locked up in a literal "ivory tower" and her spells function fine.

SurlySeraph
2007-05-27, 11:35 PM
^ He meant that it's harder to cast in combat. Having people trying to kill you always is somewhat distracting when you haven't practiced your spells enough.

JaxGaret
2007-05-28, 02:18 AM
Technically, it is possible that Roy has an Apprentice level in Wizard.

However, it is highly unlikely.

factotum
2007-05-28, 02:25 AM
I don't think Roy ever wanted to be a wizard, so I doubt he even put the effort in to learn those cantrips, no matter how hard his father tried to teach them to him. Besides, cantrips in D&D are the so-called level 0 spells, which are the ones that are sort of useful but don't do a lot--e.g. create light, heal someone for 4 points of damage, that sort of stuff. None of them are likely to be useful to a 13th level character, and Roy isn't likely to be casting much of anything at the moment anyway, what with being slightly dead and all.

Darkbane
2007-05-28, 05:04 PM
I think what Eugene meant by that is that Roy would give up Fighter Training and go back to practicing his pathetic wizard spells.

Maulrus
2007-05-28, 08:11 PM
My interpretation was that Eugene meant that he would leave fighting for wizardry again. A less likely possibility is that he was refering to cantrips not as level-0 spells, but in a less literal sense, meaning (essentially), "You'll be back to basics in a week."