PDA

View Full Version : Designing a giant tree dungeon

Whiplord
2007-05-27, 07:23 PM
I'm attempting to design a dungeon based in a giant tree. I'm looking for ideas on what should be there, as well as encounters.

The party is level 3 level 3 characters, but the encounters should average somewhere around CR7, as the party is pretty powerful. They defeated a CR6 the other day with ease.

I'm thinking the tree should have about 7-8 levels with 3-4 rooms each, and then a treetop area, where a boos fight will occur. I'm thinking the boss will be some sort of bird encounter.

Not every floor needs to have encounters, so some suggestions for puzzles would be nice as well to mix things up. I'm horrible at thinking of puzzles.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

ocato
2007-05-27, 07:26 PM
I would make a central pillar like trunk with outlaying pathways that spiral upwards, with rooms jutting off. The battle at the top aught to be a somewhat small platform so that the boss has a chance of throwing/bullrushing/etc your guys off and down to the bottom of the tree. Even if this isn't a potentially fatal manuever, at full run it will remove a member of the party for 5+ rounds at least. Since you're toying with a bird (or a gang of Raptorians) there is little risk of the enemy itself falling.

High-Chancellor
2007-05-27, 07:32 PM
Perhaps some variant Dromites or other giant bug/larvae/caterpillar things.

One place that opens up to the outside with a giant woodpecker that tries to eat you, and he'll knock more holes through the bark to try to get at you.

Good times.

RationalGoblin
2007-05-27, 07:33 PM
Golden Sun much? :smalltongue:

Anyways, what the other person said sounds good. Perhaps a weaker varient of a Roc for a boss? (the bird)

I don't DM, so I can't help much.

Whiplord
2007-05-27, 07:37 PM
Oooh, I loved GS. I was thinking more LoZ though. Thanks for the suggesstions, keep em coming. Especially any puzzles.

Bitterbadger
2007-05-27, 07:55 PM
Some things to think about
Is this tree alive or long dead? Is it being kept alive with magic?
I also assume that it's pretty big if you're going to have rooms and such in it.

Remember, puzzles can be fun, but they should make sense within the context of the space. If creatures live in this tree, then they probably don't want to have to bypass a complicated system of color-coded locks, pulleys, and levers to go to the bathroom (although, if they are bird-people, then they could just fly to different levels of the tree).

If you are using an enemy that can fly, then there is little reason to have stairs, except in possibly smaller or more constrained areas where wings would be a hindrance. This would necessitate climbing on the part of the PCs, a dangerous task for any character (even the fighters, if they come under attack while doing so).

Also, 3 level 3 PCs should not be able to win a CR7 encounter. How much treasure did you give these guys anyways?

Whiplord
2007-05-27, 08:18 PM
Well they beat my CR5 in about 4 rounds with minimal effort and damage taken. It should be noted that the druid in the party has a wolf familiar, who contributes greatly.

And the tree is alive, I don't think magic is really a neccessity, as I'm planning on having it like natural hollows in the tree. Hugely convenient hollows granted, but still.

Dimitri
2007-05-27, 08:25 PM
Play "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" and pay close attention to the Great Deku Tree at the beginning.

EDIT: I just saw your comment about Golden Sun. Sorry

I really like insects and spiders inside the tree, and be sure to watch for fire spells and weapons. They could burn it down if the PC's aren't careful.

Raum
2007-05-27, 08:41 PM
I'm attempting to design a dungeon based in a giant tree. I'm looking for ideas on what should be there, as well as encounters.Are you creating a tree based ecology or a tree-house dungeon? If you're creating the second, is it still populated with whomever built it? If not, who chased them out? Or why did they leave? Answers to those questions should help define what is there.

If you're creating an ecology living in the giant tree, figure three to four basic ecology levels (each can have multiple sublevels) with large climbing predators (panthers or such) occupying the lowest level near the ground. The next layer up will have smaller climbing creatures such as smaller cats or apes. The third layer up (or top of the second layer if you prefer) would have smaller monkeys and birds while the top layer is open to attacks from larger flying creatures.

Note, I used normal animals as examples but you can easily swap them out with magical ecological equivalents. Also, if you have the time, read Midworld (http://www.amazon.com/Midworld-Alan-Dean-Foster/dp/0345350111/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-3069234-8972759?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180316580&sr=8-1) and / or Integral Trees (http://www.amazon.com/Integral-Trees-Larry-Niven/dp/0345460367/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-3069234-8972759?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180316725&sr=1-1) for ideas.

The party is level 3 level 3 characters, but the encounters should average somewhere around CR7, as the party is pretty powerful. They defeated a CR6 the other day with ease. It's generally easier for a party to take out a single opponent than to take several. It's possible for a group to take a much higher EL mob when it's solo even though a lower EL group causes difficulties.

Kyace
2007-05-27, 11:56 PM
Note, I used normal animals as examples but you can easily swap them out with magical ecological equivalents. Also, if you have the time, read Midworld (http://www.amazon.com/Midworld-Alan-Dean-Foster/dp/0345350111/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-3069234-8972759?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180316580&sr=8-1) and / or Integral Trees (http://www.amazon.com/Integral-Trees-Larry-Niven/dp/0345460367/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-3069234-8972759?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180316725&sr=1-1) for ideas.

Actually, Integral Trees was more about a free-fall ecosystem with tree islands than an tree based ecosystem. Everything native had some sort of flight. Including the trees. Thus, the human settlers depended on the trees much more than the native animals.

The things that make logically be inside a giant hallow tree, suitable for a level 3 group, might include fungus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/fungus.htm), monstrous spiders (large) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monstrousSpider.htm) and centipedes (huge) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monstrousCentipede.htm), giant wasp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/giantWasp.htm). As a boss, I think some large bug or if you'd like something smarter, I could see a pixie (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm#pixie) running the tree. Even a good pixie might take dim view of a group of people burning spiders' webs in their tree. Personally, I think most anything in a tree would either need a climb speed or a fly speed. 70 feet up is a bad place to fail a climb check.

A three person group don't have as many dice to roll so a few very good or very bad rolls can turn very easy fights into TPK and fights that they were supposed to run away from into easy XP. Before you sic a CR7 on them, ask yourself "what happens if the party all roll 1 on init, and are surprised". It is much more likely (roughly twice as likely) that a three party group all rolls low init than a four person one. It is also more likely that a smaller group will all fail spot checks than a large group.

Citizen Joe
2007-05-28, 12:03 AM
The XBOX game Brute Force has a few levels that are tree based. Basically spiral platforms around trees with bridges to other trees and/or hollowed out sections within them. It make for an interesting tactical situation for ranged combat with cover.

Fizban
2007-05-28, 12:21 AM
It's generally easier for a party to take out a single opponent than to take several. It's possible for a group to take a much higher EL mob when it's solo even though a lower EL group causes difficulties.

Can we please not use MMO speak? A mob is plural, not a single creature, and whoever started that use is just plain wrong. So very very wrong.

The meaning of the statement is however correct, your characters are using effective group tactics in such a way that they are creaming high powered single enemies. It is likely that if you sent even just two or three much lower CR opponents they would have significant trouble.

As for tree dungeons, everything I could say has been said.

Foolosophy
2007-05-28, 02:07 AM
Can we please not use MMO speak? A mob is plural, not a single creature, and whoever started that use is just plain wrong. So very very wrong.

while I dislike this particular term, you can not claim that an instance of "back clipping" * (from "mobile object" to "mob") , that a speech community has agreed on using, is wrong.
In the context used "mob" does not refer to the collective noun or an angry crowd.

*it could also be argued that it is a blending ( mobile object ) but clipping sounds more likely, seeing as some people see mobile unit or simply mobile as the origin of the word "mob" in games.

Fizban
2007-05-28, 02:27 AM
While the only source I've consulted is wikipedia, it doesn't seem likely to me that it's the acronym/clipping/whatever. I believe it's much more likely that it stemmed from typos and the like while playing and has entered common use like other forms of netspeak and abbreviations. Aside from the fact that I just plain hate the fact that a plural word is being used to refer to a single subject , the fact that this is a forum means that a poster has all the time in the world to type out a full message with normal words.

But this is a completely off topic argument that I am willing to drop, especially considering that I just had a back and forth in a different thread on the exact same word and use.

In an attempt to be useful to the conversation, might I suggest ripping something off from Twilight Princess and putting the party on bridges that rotate in the wind?

While flying creatures are an easy choice, since your party seems to be fine against single opponents, might I suggest a group of apes or dire apes?

Foolosophy
2007-05-28, 02:34 AM
Maybe also have the tree moving (Treant/Ent-like) around (maybe even over a long distance, start out somewhere in a mountain valley and have the final encounter in a huge forest near a lake?) while the group is busy reaching the top.

Starsinger
2007-05-28, 09:07 AM
Maybe also have the tree moving (Treant/Ent-like) around (maybe even over a long distance, start out somewhere in a mountain valley and have the final encounter in a huge forest near a lake?) while the group is busy reaching the top.

And then we can revive the Wind Crystal and stop Dark King? :smallamused:

Whiplord, for your boss encounter, maybe a Dryad, with this tree dungeon being her tree.
Tree Dependent (Su)

Each dryad is mystically bound to a single, enormous oak tree and must never stray more than 300 yards from it. Any who do become ill and die within 4d6 hours. A dryad’s oak does not radiate magic. Also, since you wanted a bird, a Dryad Druid with a Griffon as her animal companion?

B!shop
2007-05-28, 09:58 AM
What if the final boss is the tree itself?
Some kind of ent-like sentient tree core, with druid levels.

Wehrkind
2007-05-28, 10:12 AM
What if the final boss is the tree itself?
Some kind of ent-like sentient tree core, with druid levels.

Maybe the boss is an ent itself, piloting a giant tree-robot in an attempt to destroy a city? The party intercepts it as it moves towards the city from the wilderness, and must destroy enough systems to draw the ent out to fight before it starts wrecking everything.

Sort of a wierd Battletech/druidism cross-over, but what started as a joke might actually be pretty cool.

Whiplord
2007-05-28, 10:22 AM
Whiplord, for your boss encounter, maybe a Dryad, with this tree dungeon being her tree. Also, since you wanted a bird, a Dryad Druid with a Griffon as her animal companion?

ooh, I like that idea, but how would it stat out?

Starsinger
2007-05-28, 10:32 AM
I dunno let's see.. Dryad with... 3-5 levels of druid. Since dryads have naturally higher Charisma than wisdom I'd either let her use Charisma as her primary casting stat off the bat, or atleast let her take The Giant's fey blood feat.
Fey Blood (General)

You have one or more fey as ancestors, and as a result your druid powers come naturally to you rather than from any great insight into the nature of the world.

Prerequisites: Cha 11+, ability to speak the Sylvan language, humanoid or giant type.

Benefit: Your druid spellcasting powers are based on Charisma rather than Wisdom. To prepare or cast a druid spell, you must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell's level, and you gain bonus spells based on your Charisma score. The DC for saving throws against your druid spells is 10 + the spell's level + your Charisma modifier. This feat does not alter the means by which you prepare or cast druid spells; you must still prepare spells in advance, as normal. Because you are using your natural fey connection to nature as the conduit for your magical powers rather than any great insight, your spells are considered to be partially fey magic. Any druid of 4th level or higher with the Resist Nature's Lure class ability gains a +2 bonus to saving throws against your druid spells.

Special: You may only select this feat at 1st level, though you need not possess the druid class at that time. Your DM may limit this feat to certain appropriate races that would be likely to have crossbred with fey over the history of the campaign world. Although being a fey herself, I again say, I'd let her just get the benefit of the feat for free.

As for her griffon, I would just advance it as if it were a normal animal companion (i.e. not an advanced companion) sure that bends the rules to the point of breaking a few of them maybe, but Boss encounter and all that.

Raum
2007-05-28, 10:32 AM
Can we please not use MMO speak? A mob is plural, not a single creature, and whoever started that use is just plain wrong. So very very wrong.Amazingly, English is a living language. Terms, definitions, and usage change with times and cultures. And even when you define mob as a "disorderly crowd of people," it is singular. Oh, a bit of trivia, the usage you're objecting to seems to have originated in MUDs not MMOs.

In any case, it is simply a metagame term. Useful as a concise description of "non-player entities whose primary purpose is to be killed or defeated for a reward." A term which even those professing a dislike of its existence seem to understand.

Whiplord
2007-05-28, 10:40 AM
Another few questions:

1. I designed a level where the floor is just made of intertwining branches with plenty of space to fall. i was thinking of the fighting a group of apes, or dire apes as you had suggested here. One thing i thought would be interesting though would be to have them throw things at the players, attempting to harass from a distance for as long as possible.

2. How should treasure be awarded? I want to put some treasure in the dungeon, but how should it be found? This is a tree after all. I had an idea to hide a dead body with treasure on it in the spider area, but beyond that I don't know.

Starsinger
2007-05-28, 10:50 AM
2. Corpses are a great way to give out loot in dungeons without having someone ask, "Why is there a treasure chest inside of a tree?" (Yes, video games, I'm talking about you!) Maybe multiple corpses, to give the impression that they aren't the first group of adventurers who've attempted to brave the tree?

1. Isn't a question, nor do you really seem to be aiming at one in particular., I think the idea of being harassed by monkeys (okay, apes) throwing things is great. Are they throwing barrels? :smallamused:

Raum
2007-05-28, 11:04 AM
1. I designed a level where the floor is just made of intertwining branches with plenty of space to fall. i was thinking of the fighting a group of apes, or dire apes as you had suggested here. One thing i thought would be interesting though would be to have them throw things at the players, attempting to harass from a distance for as long as possible.Sounds good. You may want to look up (and utilize) the different terrain rules. An easy encounter with normal monkeys may become difficult when you're in the middle of climbing. (Can't use a shield or two handed weapon and you lose your Dex to AC.) Balance checks may also be warranted when traveling along a narrow limb.

2. How should treasure be awarded? I want to put some treasure in the dungeon, but how should it be found? This is a tree after all. I had an idea to hide a dead body with treasure on it in the spider area, but beyond that I don't know.Bodies are one method. You may also want to have an NPC (or knowledge check) give them hints about rare plants or animals in the tree. A clinging vine used in some arcanists' spell research, rare furs, a snake whose venom might be sold to alchemists making anti-venoms...or poisons, and even rare bits of "heartwood from the highest branch of a Great Tree" might have uses such as creating a masterwork or magical bow.

Starsinger
2007-05-28, 11:08 AM
Bodies are one method. You may also want to have an NPC (or knowledge check) give them hints about rare plants or animals in the tree. A clinging vine used in some arcanists' spell research, rare furs, a snake whose venom might be sold to alchemists making anti-venoms...or poisons, and even rare bits of "heartwood from the highest branch of a Great Tree" might have uses such as creating a masterwork or magical bow.

Which, if you go with the Dryad thing, makes even more sense, not only are these interlopers running amok in her tree, but they had the audacity to take bits of it?

Eerie
2007-05-28, 11:11 AM
If a tree is big enough, stick it in the middle of the ocean. This way its harder to die if you fall down.

Jack_of_Spades
2007-05-28, 12:04 PM
I'd suggest including some parts where the pcs could fight in the branches of the tree. Like, they are on a branch and have to ascend higher while getting shot at by wild elves. On top of that, a Wood Bear ( a Grizzly with a climb speed) is coming up the tree and it doesn't look friendly.

My favorite part of tree dungeons, I'm still working on my campaign where the world is a tree, is that it allows for characters to fight in multiple heights without worrying about how far they can turn, what their minimum velocity is, and whether they can hover or not.

Enzario
2007-05-28, 12:20 PM
I just had an idea of an entire dungeon in the tree based around a central chamber that contains a giant wasp nest. This tree just happens to be in the middle of prime logging territory, and the wasps are harassing/killing people who are working in the forest.
Interesting twist: combine this with the Dryad idea to create even more ethical quandries.
Dryad: CR 3
Horde of Giant Wasps: CR 10
Politicians: CR 50
Messing with your PCs' Minds: Priceless

There are some things XP can't buy. For everything else, there's Wish.

pedrokraemer
2007-05-28, 12:35 PM
I have just one word to you: DRUIDS

despite all the monsters tha could fit your dungeon, I suggest that you always set one ''band leader" with a couple of levels on the druid class.

Besides, you could make areas on your dungeon with permanent druid spells effects, like briars web, entangle, rusty grasp...

Mix the spell-effected area with creatures that can overcome the effect, like flying creatures in an entangled area.

Since the conception of a fey druid for your ultimate boss, I guess you could make some rooms to be the enemy itself, with branches attacking your PCS, as if the tree were alive (well, in fact, it is!)

Just one question, though: WHY are they trying to kick the fey-druid ass?

OH, almost forgot: would share with us your final dungeon?

Starsinger
2007-05-28, 12:42 PM
I sorta got the impression that the Dryad was trying to stomp on them.

Whiplord
2007-05-28, 12:55 PM
Basically the story concept I've come up with is this:

The PCs will come upon a small logging village. While there, they will meet Trent, a Lvl 4 Ftr who serves as the impromptu spokesman for the town. He will explain to the PCs that after a while of logging the forest, the men began to be attacked. after a while, they found out that there was a Ginat tree in the center of the forest inhabited by a Dryad.

Already old, the Dryad essentially snapped as soon as the men began cutting down her forest. She is essentially insane. Right as Trent is about to implore the PCs to help, the Dryad's griffon familiar will swoop down and fly off with a young boy. Trent begs the PCs to give chase, and defeat the Dryad as well as ave the boys life. He promises them a reward.

If the PCs choose to give chase they will be led to the tree. The Griffon will have obviously flown up to the top where his master is, and if the PCs wish to give chase, they will have to go through the tree.

Starsinger
2007-05-28, 01:04 PM
I don't think Fey age.. but that's a total nitpick. I like the background. Honestly, I feel bad for the Dryad.. I mean yeah, attacking the boy was wrong, but was attacking the lumberjacks? I mean they were in her home, hacking away. Any druids in the party might feel this way too, not to mention some characters might.

Are you going to have them be able to resolve this without killing the dryad? Maybe beating her in combat then subduing her? Or is she too far gone and must be destroyed?

And will the lumberjacks learn anything from this? "It's okay to invade other creatures' homes and plunder them, if something bad happens we can get adventurers to fix it!" The lumber jack questions are rhetorical, but man I like this shade of gray. *applause*

pedrokraemer
2007-05-28, 01:06 PM
Nice plot :smallbiggrin:

Did you considered making the dungeon entrance in an giant ant lair??? you could use one or two sub levels, with a lot of vermins an earth elementals before going to your dungeon. This would waste energy and spells of your megapower PCs, increasing te difficulty of your dungeon.

This dungeon will be awsome :smallwink:

pedrokraemer
2007-05-28, 01:08 PM
Are you going to have them be able to resolve this without killing the dryad? Maybe beating her in combat then subduing her? Or is she too far gone and must be destroyed?

And will the lumberjacks learn anything from this? "It's okay to invade other creatures' homes and plunder them, if something bad happens we can get adventurers to fix it!" The lumber jack questions are rhetorical, but man I like this shade of gray. *applause*

NICE :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Dark
2007-05-28, 01:16 PM
While the only source I've consulted is wikipedia, it doesn't seem likely to me that it's the acronym/clipping/whatever. I believe it's much more likely that it stemmed from typos and the like while playing and has entered common use like other forms of netspeak and abbreviations.

Well, now you've brought it up and we have to discuss it! You see, the first time I encountered this term was around 1994 on DikuMUDs. There, "mob" was definitely short for "mobile" and it referred to the monsters, who were the most numerous mobiles around. They were called "mob" or "mobile" in the game code and comments; the phrase "mobile object" wasn't used. More significantly, the area files that contained stats for all the monsters had a ".mob" extension. At the time, it was normal for anyone who ran a DikuMUD to edit these files in order to make the MUD original. I assume that all this helped "mob" to enter the players' jargon.

There's a strong link from MUDs to MMORPGs. The early ones were even called "graphical MUDs" before the new term became sexier. They started with the same player base, minus some die-hard fans of text interfaces. Everquest was even compared to Diku by its own marketing people. So it's no surprise if some of the jargon carried over.

"Mob" is a term of similar accuracy as "monster" which is old-school D&D jargon. Most of the PCs' opponents are not "monsters" in the ordinary sense of the word, but it's still used as a catch-all term that includes evil high priests, bears, otyughs, and uniquely deformed creatures. The 1st edition PHB even has a paragraph explaining this usage.

Aside from the fact that I just plain hate the fact that a plural word is being used to refer to a single subject , the fact that this is a forum means that a poster has all the time in the world to type out a full message with normal words.
Now you can rest content, knowing that it's not a plural word at all. But you're right on the other part, people on this forum should say BBEG just like everyone else.

Foolosophy
2007-05-28, 01:24 PM
And then we can revive the Wind Crystal and stop Dark King? :smallamused:

hum? Did I copy something from an existing movie/game/anime/book without knowing?

Starsinger
2007-05-28, 01:39 PM
hum? Did I copy something from an existing movie/game/anime/book without knowing?

Not exactly, but in Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, there is a tree dungeon, and it's a living tree, with monsters that have taken up residence. He asks you to kill them, and in return he moves across the world map, allowing you to reach the rest of the game... you just reminded me of that with your post.

martyboy74
2007-05-28, 02:45 PM
Make the tree fireproof. I don't care how many laws of physics or common sense you violate, if you don't, you might as well not make the dungeon. After all, you know how the players mindset with fire is. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0270.html)

Driderman
2007-05-28, 03:03 PM
Are you intending to let Trent tell the PCs that the villain is a Dryad?

Because I could certainly see some entertainment in the version where the villagers have never actually seen the villain and think it's some sort of foul witch, or hag or the like.
When they find out the villain is really a non-evil creature, I'm sure many interesting questions will arise :smallamused:

pedrokraemer
2007-05-28, 04:01 PM
Are you intending to let Trent tell the PCs that the villain is a Dryad?

Because I could certainly see some entertainment in the version where the villagers have never actually seen the villain and think it's some sort of foul witch, or hag or the like.
When they find out the villain is really a non-evil creature, I'm sure many interesting questions will arise :smallamused:

GOOD ONE!!!

It could be, even, a manipulation of some evil doer in the village, misleading the PCs to the tree...

Like some wizard, or a blackguard - OH, BETTER, A BLIGTHER, SINCE WE´RE TALKING ABOUT NATURA AND STUFF - who´s trying to blight everything, but can´t get near the dryad´s tree for some reason and needs them to make the dirty job for him...

THEN the PCs would only figure it out when it was too late...

OOooooooooo

That´s the kind of plot I like!!!:smallbiggrin:

Driderman
2007-05-28, 04:11 PM
GOOD ONE!!!

It could be, even, a manipulation of some evil doer in the village, misleading the PCs to the tree...

Like some wizard, or a blackguard - OH, BETTER, A BLIGTHER, SINCE WE´RE TALKING ABOUT NATURA AND STUFF - who´s trying to blight everything, but can´t get near the dryad´s tree for some reason and needs them to make the dirty job for him...

THEN the PCs would only figure it out when it was too late...

OOooooooooo

That´s the kind of plot I like!!!:smallbiggrin:

And thats most likely how the PCs will think too, even though it may be an innocent mistake. After all, why should friendly villagers and lumberjacks have any reason to believe a good creature of the forest intended to harm them?
When creatures start attacking innocent farmers and woodsman, the natural response would of course be to assume that something evil was behind it...

Of course, if we really want to go into the 'manipulative evil infiltrator' way, the PCs could meet a group of "druids" in the forest offering their assistance and advice on the situation. These of course being in League with the Blighter and misinforming the PCs:

"Oh yes, it is quite common knowledge among most druids around here that when a Dryad reaches a certain age they usually go stark raving mad and evil. Really, it'd be in everyone's interest if you put her down. While we're at it, her contagion might have spread to the tree and the animals under her command, better put them down too.
And what's this? Looks like the other trees in the forest are affected as well. We had better have those lumberjacks cut down this idyllic woodland as soon as possible, before the curse spreads. And kill all the animals of course, for the greater good.
No, we can't do it for you, we're pacifist druids, but we sure will appreciate your work..."

Grug
2007-05-28, 08:53 PM
I imagined an encounter that would fit well with the tree. You divide an entire "floor" into sections with some kind of wooden grate (or rotted wood, or something with holes). You have the players be attacked by something ethereal or that can pass through the holes easily, while the players have to break down the barrier to get at them.

if you want a puzzle, make a place that is full of entangles sinews of wood. They're so tightly wound together you can't get through. However, they're also creating the floor. You have to decide which sinews to cut so you can get through without having the floor give way.

Bassetking
2007-05-28, 09:47 PM
And thats most likely how the PCs will think too, even though it may be an innocent mistake. After all, why should friendly villagers and lumberjacks have any reason to believe a good creature of the forest intended to harm them?
When creatures start attacking innocent farmers and woodsman, the natural response would of course be to assume that something evil was behind it...

Of course, if we really want to go into the 'manipulative evil infiltrator' way, the PCs could meet a group of "druids" in the forest offering their assistance and advice on the situation. These of course being in League with the Blighter and misinforming the PCs:

"Oh yes, it is quite common knowledge among most druids around here that when a Dryad reaches a certain age they usually go stark raving mad and evil. Really, it'd be in everyone's interest if you put her down. While we're at it, her contagion might have spread to the tree and the animals under her command, better put them down too.
And what's this? Looks like the other trees in the forest are affected as well. We had better have those lumberjacks cut down this idyllic woodland as soon as possible, before the curse spreads. And kill all the animals of course, for the greater good.
No, we can't do it for you, we're pacifist druids, but we sure will appreciate your work..."

And, as such, set the stage for the second portion of the encounter. The PC's have defeated the Dryad, only to discover she is, in fact, only defending her forest, a very, very good creature, and that they have been the unwitting catspaws of the Blighter.

Round Two!

Players make their way back to the town, noticing the logging, despoilment, and general rape of the natural order. They are hurt, They are lower on supplies, and they are PISSED.

Use this fact.

The Blighter stiffs the players upon thier return. He's Evil, why on EARTH would he pay up? Do this publically, first thing upon returning to the town. The Logging town will protect the Blighter/Fake Circle; and it's up to your players to Diplomat their way through a Blue-collar town, trying to tell these commoners that their only livelyhood needs to cease, in order to avoid a Tactical Strike by Obad-Hai. FORCE your Trigger-happy, blood-boiling players to fight through an encounter's worth of small-town politics, beuracracy, and townfolk anger(Remember to reward XP for this!)

Round Three!

Your players get their sweet, savage revenge. They get to square off against the Blighter, the fake circle, and a Summoning Circle/Ritual magic that required the death of, say, an Avatar of Obad-Hai... Oh, I don't know, Our Dryad?:smallbiggrin:

Your players will not only get the promised "Loot" the Blighter was holding back from them, but will win the favor of a god, a town, and a REALLY sweet encounter.

For this, use the logging town itself as the Summoning circle. The town is constructed in such a manner that it channels and binds the unnatural destruction of the Forest, and draws from the deaths of highly-powered nature spirits. Use stone. Use Cobbled Roads, and a central Fountain/Well.

When the sun sets as the players are arguing with the Townsfolk, Pull out all the stops. Eldritch red light, spilling out from between the cobbles, Fainting Townsfolk, Rotting/cracking/whithering buildings and support structures. This "Town" Begins to actively reveal the true nature of the Blighter, and all natural structures within are affected. The Milled Timber of the Town, the finished logs, the town's lifeblood, turns to Mulch, cracked, dry husks. Flash-rot. Dry, husking un-natural wind whips up a duststorm surrounding the town... AND YOU HAVEN'T EVEN BROUGHT OUT THE BLIGHTER YET.

Bam.

Backlit, by the collapsing town-hall. He, and his circle stride forth to the well, to complete their vile deeds. The water is thick, choked with unnatural fungus and weeds. Roiling with defilation and putrid rot. They are calling forth a Bane Spell given form, a Titanic Anti-treant. An anathema to life of all kinds, and of the natural order in particular.

Make this fight BIG. Run a timer on that summoning circle (Say 20 rounds, we don't actually want them to SUMMON the thing, just to provide a percieved threat to the players).

And reward them just as big for making it through this.

Whiplord
2007-05-28, 10:06 PM
That sir, was amazingly epic. I'm gonna try and do that. My players might kill me for the whole politics thing, but it should be worth it.

Fishy
2007-05-28, 10:22 PM
If our giant-tree ecology necessarially has swarms of smallish things in the branches, larger creatures making up the middle, and the Dryad herself in the center, it seems like you want to find a way to make your players do the tree from the top down, for best dramatic effect.

So, give the Tree giant feet, and have it be stomping around anything that approaches it on the floor-level as it makes its way to... wherever it is going, and have the players watch the Griffon disappear into a passageway up in the branches with the abducted kid?

Whiplord
2007-05-28, 10:48 PM
While I'm at it, someone want to point me to a stat block for a blighter, or tell me what book it's in?

Starsinger
2007-05-28, 11:32 PM
Complete Divine, but if you can't get access to it, an Evil druid will suffice, but it won't be the same.

Whiplord
2007-05-29, 11:35 AM
No it's fine. I have that one.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-05-29, 12:40 PM
Need ideas? Play Faxanadu (Nintendo game of the 80s). The game takes place in and around the World Tree, and it's full of puzzles and ideas, and the music grows on you.

Possible other side-plots:

- One of the loggers is actually a minion of the dryad/blighter/antagonist and is doing his dirty work among the more civilized folk.

- group of necros (3rd party?) are trying to corrupt the treant and let it die, then perform a diabolical ritual to raise it as their greatest undead minion.

- Have some sections of the tree be areas of 'Wild Magic' ( See link:SRD Wild Magic Link (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/planes.html#wild-magic), or DMG section on Planes).

Cade Shadow
2007-05-29, 01:33 PM
Dryad: CR 3
Horde of Giant Wasps: CR 10
Politicians: CR 50
Messing with your PCs' Minds: Priceless

There are some things XP can't buy. For everything else, there's Wish.

That is great, mind if I sig it?

pedrokraemer
2007-05-30, 01:11 PM
That sir, was amazingly epic. I'm gonna try and do that. My players might kill me for the whole politics thing, but it should be worth it.

All players want to kill their DM. In this case, give them a really nice reason!!! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

I deffinetly liked the hole epic scenario. It started just as a hack´n´slash quest and finishes with the world hanging on the edge!!!

Besides, if none of your PCs are nature binded (such as a druid or a ranger, or a cleric of Oab-Hai or even Ellohna), I REALLY think that´ll work amazingly well :smallwink:

pedrokraemer
2007-05-30, 01:14 PM
While I'm at it, someone want to point me to a stat block for a blighter, or tell me what book it's in?

as starsinger told ya, the blighter is on the Complete Divine...

BUT it shows for the first time on Masters of the Wild, wich is a 3.0 book. Despite the version of your game (3.0 or 3.5), I really suggest you read this lat one, for all information and backgrounds on druids and nature binded.

Matthew
2007-06-06, 04:39 PM
This has the makings of a really fun adventure. How are things progressing?