PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help assassinating someone and get away with it

MicHag
2015-11-06, 08:55 AM
Hi,

in our current campaign i have been given a secret mission (unknown to other players) by the DM.

The situation:
I have to kill a high regarded figure. His protection is unknown to me currently, but most likely he will be near a powerfull (more than i can handle) spellcaster in most situations. I will probably have to pick a time when that caster is not around and hopefully nobody else too.

I am a level 9 Warlock, with Flying and Invisibility.

What i am looking for is items (single-use is ok) and maybe a feat (i only just turned level 9 and can still pick a feat) that can help me do three things:

1. Allow me to be with the person alone
This one is hard, i will probably need to wait for the right occassion. I can turn invisible, but one of my other players can see invisible creatures, so it's not entirely safe. I have a high Bluff and a potion of Glibness so maybe i can turn a story into a situation where he is alone with me. Currently i haven't even met the person although i know who he is, but not where he is, so i have no idea what the situation will be like. The person is not aware i am going to assassinate him, but he does suspect someone is planning to assassinate him.

2. Allow me to kill him quickly and silently
The only way to kill him now is by Eldritch Blasting him. I am ok with that if need be, but if i can do that more quickly it would be better.
I have a ring of silence that might help to make the assassination silent.

3. Allow me to get away with it
Currently i plan to put the dead body in a Bag of Holding (DM approved).
I haven't yet decided if i want to rejoin the party after the assassination like nothing happened, or if i will leave the party (and start a new character).
In the latter case i have a situation in my head where i am alone with the person. Because the rest is not there i will exchange notes with the DM to actually kill the person, roll a few dice, maybe succeed. If i succeed i will write to the DM i put the dead person in the Bag of Holding and simply fly away never to be seen, and ask for one note back. Whatever the note the DM will give me, i will put up a show "Noooooo", cry, cry. Rip up the charactersheet "i won't be needing that anymore". The party will never find me or the person, hopefully assuming i died with the person, or maybe even at the hand of the person. I will tell them what happened after the campaign if they haven't caught onto what actually happened.

So any sugesstions (about 15k to spend now) that can help?

Thanks ;)

Uncle Pine
2015-11-06, 10:01 AM
You need to gather more info. What allies does your target have other than the spellcaster? How powerful is the spellcaster? What kind of spellcaster is him? What kind of protections is your target employing (spells, magic items, antimagic fields)? Does your target have close friends or a wife, children or other people who regards him as their "dearest loved one"?

Once you've gathered enough intelligence, you can hit like a truck: among those close to your target (= those who consider him their closest friend and/or their dearest loved one), choose the easiest secondary target and kidnap him/her. Then cast Love's Pain on your secondary target a generous number of times (either from a scroll, wand or staff or having him/her drink some potions). Congratulations: you killed your primary target!
Alternatively, if your target is the solitary type and you can't find a secondary target who suits your needs, buy a scroll of Mindrape (3.825 gp, well within your finances), cast it on the filthiest and dumbest commoner you can find, turn him into a suitable secondary target and proceed as above.
Ideally, the fact that you'll still need to kidnap someone (i.e. your target's wife, one of his children, his grandad, his best friend, etc.) and thus there is some risk involved will avoid books being thrown at you as the whole tactic isn't as cheap and simple as "I pick a random Joe down the street and kill the king with him".
If your target actually employs antimagic fields for defence, he's probably on a whole different level from you and you should reconsider your plan.

DarkSoul
2015-11-06, 11:59 AM
If you can catch him when he's unarmed, just throw the bag of holding over him and leave. There's only about 10 minutes of air in one, and if he still finds a way to rupture the bag, according to the SRD "All contents are lost forever."

Your best bet will be to strike when the wizard is preparing spells. If you can create a situation where the wizard has to expend some spells, even better. Perhaps stage an assassination attempt somewhere while you hide in his house and wait for nightfall. If you can catch him when he's sleeping, you won't need to restrain him. If you have to do it when he's awake you'll need some sort of holding or dominate effect.

bean illus
2015-11-06, 06:05 PM
1. Find the train station.
2. Visit Will Call to claim your free ticket.
3. Be there on time.

I like the gather info and appear outta nowhere approach.