PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next In Time for Christmas (Wanna make a new base class)

Turtlemancer
2015-11-06, 09:40 AM
Ok, I am hardly a celebrity around here and am relatively new to home-brew but I have a great grasp of balance and what makes a class cool. So I have decided I want to create a whole new class by Christmas time. However I don't have any really cool core Ideas other than wanting to make a base class. I mean I have plenty of archetype Ideas but really wanna make a base class. So here is the deal if anyone has a cool base class Idea but not the time to make it on there own submit the idea here.

The winner (Or the guy whose Idea I like the most, or whose Idea is the most popular depends how big the thread gets.) Will be given special credit on the final product AND I will work with them on the concept, (In short I will take your feedback and ask you if anything I am doing seems cool to you) While this feedback wont be exclusive your opinions will take precedent. I will Even let you play-test the class in my Indiana Jones style modern campaign.

Some Basic Guideline

Base Class- The class must be a Base Class in short it should be able to be split into at least two but preferably 3 archetypes.
Mechanically Flexible- If the Idea would work better as an Archetype I wont even look at it unless shopping for archetypes later.
Narrative Flexibility- The class cant be origin specific, in short no super specific origins that make it a one note class, if the class does not fit in with a number of backgrounds and races its not gonna catch my eye.
No Bad Guys- I will not want to make an evil class. I just wont, sorry but I am not a fan of bad guys so and it doesn't matter how cool your idea is it just isn't gonna appeal to me if its based on evil or bad guys.

Bonus Points

Good Guys- I am a sucker for a good old fashioned hero. This wont necessarily net you as much points as say an original Idea but if the class leans toward the Light side of the Force your gonna get browny points from me.
Archetypes- If you already have Archetypes in mind I will love you, the more thought out your Idea the better as it means we will be able to get the class to a testable state sooner, however don't overthink your idea.
Options- If you can keep your Idea broad enough to allow for a lot of cool options I would love that.
Originality- Nuff Said.
Dragons- Dragons! Dragons! Dragons on the road!
Not another DPS- Everyone makes damage class I would love to see a support or Control Style class Idea.
Christmas- If the class could LOOSELY tie into Christmas I would gush, as that's when I wanna take the class truly public.

The Penalty Box

Dark and Gritty- This ties into the no bad Guys and keeping it Original, I wont be as likely to want to work on a dark edgy class, and there are already so many on this sight. That's not to say there aren't some darker Ideas I might gush over (There are) so don't let that discourage you. Heck If you can manage to keep the Dark to a single Archetype you may get bonus points.
Over the Top- If your class is a grandiose special snowflake of uncontrollable specialness, things might not work out so good for you. Being original and slick is cool, wanting to be the immortal son of the gods with the power of Darkest blood magic who rebels against the heavens with angsty emo hair will down right disqualify you.

JNAProductions
2015-11-06, 10:20 AM
Ooh! Ooh! You could try making a Summoner class.

Turtlemancer
2015-11-06, 10:39 AM
That is certainly a good Idea.

But what would the Archetypes be like?

Celestial, Infernal, "Astral", Fey?

Or would they play with other concepts?

Like Constructs? Or Ectoplasmic Sculptures like the Shaper from 3.5?

Ill definitely keep that one in mind as that is a missing play-style and I was thinking about making a beast master class as I found the Ranger beast master to be lackluster.

JNAProductions
2015-11-06, 10:41 AM
Those all sound very good. I'd go with Celestial, Infernal, Demonic, and Fey.

Turtlemancer
2015-11-06, 10:43 AM
Ok, SO summoner with Celestial, Infernal, and Fey Archetypes.

Maybe Constructs and Abominations if I have enough time.

Anyone else?

JNAProductions
2015-11-06, 10:44 AM
Constructs are the least thematic of the bunch. Everything else is outside summoning, constructs are creation.

With such a wide variaton, I'd recomend that this have level 1 Archetypes, like the Cleric does.

Turtlemancer
2015-11-06, 10:53 AM
I would agree. I would think that you have a specific summon that you have a sort of "Pact" with. That's what makes you a summoner. I don't wanna go with the edolon with this though. I am thinking "Maybe" if I go with this you'll have normal weak summons then you'll have a really powerful summon you can conjure up once per long rest.

Or you will always have a summon, Base Summoner spells will mostly be buffs and such for your pet and team members while. Celestial will gain cleric style healing and such, Fey illusions and enchantment style spells for general mindfugery, and Infernal will come on the tale end as the "Damage" summoner, though I may look into a more Debuff oriented thing for them.

Looks like there is already a summoner type class on the forums but it does look a bit convoluted and op so its not a complete no.

But I am getting a bit ahead of myself I wanna see what other Ideas people spew out, but I think I will do a bit of playful experimentation on this.