PDA

View Full Version : Help with Future Skills and Other Stuff

DeadlyGrim
2007-05-27, 08:34 PM
I'm going to be starting a RPG with a futuristic setting with my local gaming group. Now, we decided to try something new with this game and create our own system. Basically, we're going to incorporate aspects of different RPGs that we like and would be appropriate for the mood/setting/play style/etc. Pretty fun.

However, this does mean that there is a bit of work to do. So, my question to you guys is: what would be some good skills that would be of use in a futuristic setting?

Further information about setting: it will include spaceships and the like, cyberware, bioware, no "Matrix"-like thing (or, if it does, it will play a pretty minor part), lasers and such exists but are not usually man-portable (main weapons are projectile firearms, either using gunpowder-derivatives with electrical firing or magnetic acceleration), powered armor, no alien species, and a number of governments vying for control of the stars.

Oh, and I also already have d20 Modern, d20 Future, d20 Future Tech, Shadowrun 3rd Ed, Shadowrun 4th Ed, a number of Shadowrun supplements, and C°ntinuum in addition to oodles of D&D stuff. So, suggestions to get any of those books won't help, but if you know anything that is specifically from those books don't hesitate to suggest that.

Thanks!

Matthew
2007-05-27, 08:35 PM
Have you taken a look at D20 Future?

DeadlyGrim
2007-05-27, 08:38 PM
Yeah. I just edited my post to include the stuff I have already. Basically, I'm looking for stuff that people might not have thought of before.

MaxMahem
2007-05-28, 02:06 AM
GURPS.

While I find it's rule set cumbersome and needlessly complicated, for setting and background details it's books quite simply cannot be beat. While the GURPS Cyberpunk book (and associated adventures) are showing there age, the GURPS Transhuman space line of books are right up there on the cutting edge. Also the GURPS Ultra-tech, Bio-tech, Vehicles, Space, and possibly mecha would all be useful for you're setting.

I would especially recommend the Transhuman Space line of books again. They seem to be pretty much exactly what you are talking about.

TheOOB
2007-05-28, 02:10 AM
I'd would suggest taking a look at green ronins True20 system, it's very similar to D&D but is very adaptable to a future setting (more so then d20 future IMO).

Skills don't need to be changed for the most part. You need a skill for driving and piloting (and perhaps water craft). You need a computer skill. For the most part you can handle things via craft and profession skills (basically, if it needs to exist, but the PCs arn't likely to take it, it's a profession skill).

Jasdoif
2007-05-28, 03:47 PM
Have you considered simply not having rules for (non-combat) skills? Having a system for combat, and leaving everything else to the roleplaying.

DeadlyGrim
2007-05-28, 04:32 PM
>>Jasdoif
Yeah, but let's face it: games where there are absolutely no rules and everyone does it purely by roleplaying almost always fall into two camps - games that suck and games that are the stuff of legends. My players are good, but not that good. Plus, it helps prevent a whole lot of arguing when you have the rules to fall back upon. At least it prevents "No way, my character worked a year at GaiaCorp. He should be able to program a virus able to wipe out the Government's system super easy!" Plus, most of my players are powergamers at heart. Making little numbers go higher and higher give them a perverse little sense of pleasure.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-28, 04:48 PM
Have you considered simply not having rules for (non-combat) skills? Having a system for combat, and leaving everything else to the roleplaying.

Then you're admitting that combat is more important than noncombat. All characters will then be optimised only for combat or noncombat characters will have less stats.

You can always have no rules for skills, but make sure that everyone has a character sheet listing the characters ammount of skill in a set number of areas.

DeadlyGrim
2007-05-28, 06:21 PM
Oh, and I'm also going with a skill-based combat anyways i.e. you would have 6 ranks in Bladed Weapons or 10 ranks in Firearms instead of a BAB or what-have-you.

So, yeah, it would be pretty important to make sure that the amount of "filler" skills is minimal to none.