PDA

View Full Version : HD by size.

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-28, 12:33 AM
The usual method of representing "big and tough" is to give the mob more HD. Here's an alternative take on it. Increase(or decrease) the size of their HD based on their size, using the same scale as with weapon damage. This also applies to characters of course. This way, it also makes the choice between Small casters and Medium casters less obvious(Smaller=more AC, to hit, but MUCH squishier). Thoughts?

Dhavaer
2007-05-28, 12:36 AM
This would make Dwarves the best wizards instead of Gnomes. I can't really say if that's a good thing or a bad thing. A Great Red Wyrm Sorcerer would be hella scary under these rules, though.

Fizban
2007-05-28, 12:49 AM
AAUUUGGHHHH! I just commented on a different thread about the use of the word "mob". Mob is plural. It is NOT an acceptable word for a single creature, unless one is referring to a swarm or mob templated creature, which are actually multiple creatures and are thus describable as mobs. I'm about ready to go hunt down whoever started that use of the word "mob", and.....you get the idea.

Now that that's out of my system: normally larger creatures have higher con scores, and smaller creatures usually have lower, which affects hp more than a single die size change normally will. You'd need an obscenely large die to make up for the number of hit dice a really big creature normally has anyway. For PC's I don't really see why, unless you think the bonuses for being small are too good, or those for being large aren't good enough. It's roughly worth a feat (improved toughness) for an increase.

Lemur
2007-05-28, 12:57 AM
Mob can be a single word, if you're using it in the sense of an AI creature in a game. Mob is an abbreviation for "mobile blahbity blah" or something like that in such a case. It's only supposed to be used for computer/video game related things, not pen and paper matters (nor larping, I suppose).

In any case, using mob in this instance is irregular, but don't freak out about its use.

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-28, 01:23 AM
I have no problems with using the term "mob" instead of "monster". It's shorter, 99% of all RPGers understand what you mean, and it's really only irritating if you're exceptionally anal about your English(which I am not. I'm only slightly anal about my English. :smalltongue:)

What I'm suggesting is that the HD increases in size(from 1d4 to 1d6, for example, if you're a Large arcane caster), and the number of HD can go down(this is especially relevant when you have Demons that use Blasphemy, which is based on HD). This also makes it so for example, Pixies become 1d4(from 1d6 Fey, and being Small), making them incredibly squishy, if you can catch them(their bonuses to AC, SLAs, etc.)

Dhavaer
2007-05-28, 01:27 AM
Wait, you're applying this to racial hit dice as well? That's... going to be interesting when it comes to dragons and similar.

Fizban
2007-05-28, 01:48 AM
While I've recently become somewhat anal about my english, it's more that I've broadened the hate of "netspeak" in real life and on forums (where you have plenty of time to type actual words), to hate of anything that is or sounds like a term that originated or may have originated in an MMO. Specifically WoW. Specifically my hate of people that act like WoW is all revolutionary and new, when it's based off of RPG stuff that's been around for decades, and is mocked by these same WoW players.

Anyway, once again I digress.

I still don't see what this change does. Or rather, I see what it does but it doesn't make much sense mechanically to me. Creatures that are meant to be squishy already have small hit dice, and those that are meant to be un-squishy have large hit dice. Adjusting hit dice based on size difference from medium is just going to make the squishy creatures (such as the previously mentioned fey) squishier and the not-squishy creatures un-squishable (such as the previously mentioned dragons). Aside from the size of the hit dice, a creatures squishyness is also well calibrated by it's con score and number of hit dice.

But the thing I like least is that it takes an aspect of creature type that never changes, the hit die, and makes it a new variable that has to be calculated for each creature.

Edit: upon further research (consisting of a quick wikipedia search) I remain unconvinced that the use of the word "mob" to refer to a single creature cannot have such lofty origins as you claim. I maintain my conviction that it is merely a bastardization of the noble English language inflicted upon us by the scourge that is the "massively multiplayer online game". /pompous.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-05-28, 01:55 AM
"Mob" is an abbreviation for Mobile Object. It has been around since computer games. Or at least Nethack. No one thinks WoW invented it. No one over the age of 12, anyway.

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-28, 05:17 AM
I first heard the term used around the year 2000, when I played my first MMORPG. It's been around since before then, when most online games were MUDs(the one I played appears to have been a sort of modified MUD, considering the early versions actually allowed players to run scripts from their client.)

Back on topic, the objective of the proposed change/houserule is to more accurately represent the difference. A small, fey creature should not be taking more than a single lucky stroke to splatter. Dragons and Gigantic Undead/Constructs should be taking you plenty of hacking away(or a really lucky triple 20, if you're going that way) to take down.