PDA

View Full Version : Kobolds: Do's and Don't's

FlumphPaladin
2015-11-06, 11:23 AM
Nobody's done this yet?! I can't believe my favorite humanoid has gone unnoticed for so long! I'll start...

DO: Make Tucker (http://tuckerskobolds.com/) proud.
DON'T: Make them indistinguishable from orcs or hobgoblins (if you use either).

Red Fel
2015-11-06, 11:35 AM
DO: Make use of swarming tactics and superior numbers.

DON'T: Make use of Diablo II sound effects. (No, Rakanish-YOU.)

DO: Feel free to give them personalities, as you should with any encounter.

DON'T: Feel free to reference Blizzard games. (Yes, I do take candle, thank you.)

DO: Create social or personal structures among them.

DON'T: Create a re-enactment of Kobolds Ate My Baby! (Unless you are, in fact, playing Kobolds Ate My Baby!)

Geddy2112
2015-11-06, 11:43 AM
Do: Gestalt(not the character build, the sum of parts greater than the whole), hive mind, and rabble rabble rabble! Fight as one in large groups
Dont: Be mindless on an individual level.

Do: respect and revere dragons.
Dont: Shamelessly fangirl any dragon like reptile larger than you.

Do: cults and robes
Dont: cults and robes for no reason

Do: traps
Dont: complex traps- a pit of spikes is simple and elegant

RossN
2015-11-06, 11:54 AM
A lot of 3e Koboldisms are hard to work in 5e because 5e Kobolds have very poor mental abilities - with an Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma penalty it is hard to see them have many powerful spellcasters or advanced tactics. Still they can be interesting.

DO play up their culture; their hatred of Gnomes and awe of dragons.

DO play up their trap making as a savant ability; the fluff justifies them as clever trap artists so maybe they have an instictive 'feel' for traps.

Gracht Grabmaw
2015-11-06, 11:58 AM
DO make them craven, opportunistic and just a little unhinged.
DON'T make them stupid. There's a different between acting crazy and acting stupid. Stupid things with stats like kobolds don't live very long.

FlumphPaladin
2015-11-06, 12:20 PM
DO: Make them lawful. A kobold should keep his word at any cost... at least his word to another kobold.
DON'T: Make them predictable or naïve.

DO: Make them social... at least towards other kobolds.
DON'T: Make them helpless when alone. Depressed, maybe, but not catatonic.

DO: Make them racist... towards everyone but other kobolds!
DON'T: Make them genocidal maniacs.*

*I'm not fulfilling your law today, Godwin!

Ralanr
2015-11-06, 01:22 PM
Do: Remind people why the kobold population needs adventurers to deal with it. Not a scrawny kid with a sword, seasoned adventurers.

Broken Crown
2015-11-06, 02:26 PM
DON"T make them Tucker's kobolds. It's been done to death. It also misses Tucker's point: The idea was that even weak enemies can be a threat if they use good tactics; it WASN'T that kobolds, specifically, are awesome masters of trapmaking.

DON'T make them dragons. That's also been done to death. It also has nothing whatsoever to do with their legendary history; it's just something that someone made up for 3rd Edition.

DO make them distinct from goblins.