PDA

View Full Version : Provocative signatures

LCR
2007-05-28, 10:44 AM
Now, I do know that it is not allowed for us to discuss politics or religion here, neither in the fora nor in PM's. What about signatures?
A certain user's signature featured a link to a topic which I found ... let's say provocative. I wouldn't say offensive, but I didn't like the fact that I couldn't answer without violating any of the rules.
The question is:
Am I allowed to link to pages that clearly state an opinion on a sensible topic, be it political, religious or otherwise?
Edit: Let me clarify: I don't want to link to such a page, I am merely annoyed that other people do.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-28, 10:45 AM
I think it may not be strictly allowed or disallowed, but it seems to me more like a cheap trick to get around the Giant's rules.

Jayabalard
2007-05-28, 10:54 AM
I'd find one of thier posts, report it for the link in the sig and give a good description why you think it's not right, and let the mods deal with it.

LCR
2007-05-28, 10:57 AM
I don't really want to denunciate anybody. I'd just like to know in general.

Don Beegles
2007-05-28, 11:17 AM
I believe that it has been ruled that links to sites that are against the rules are OK as long as the material against the rules is not actually in the signature, and it is clear that the link may be provocative. I believe the issue came up two XMases ago when Vorpal Tribble wanted to quote Isaiah in his signature, and needed to link it instead. Granted, I could have forgotten and be dead wrong, but I think that's what the deal was.

Rawhide
2007-05-28, 11:29 AM
Please report one of the user's posts and indicate that it is about the signature.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-29, 09:10 PM
I believe the issue came up two XMases ago when Vorpal Tribble wanted to quote Isaiah in his signature, and needed to link it instead. Granted, I could have forgotten and be dead wrong, but I think that's what the deal was.
Nope, you got it pretty straight on. Still got the infraction glaring at me everytime I go to my User CP to tick me off.