PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Circle of the Sun

JNAProductions
2015-11-06, 12:24 PM
Circle of the Sun

Bonus Cantrip-When you select this Circle at second level, you gain the Firebolt and Light cantrips as druid spells.

Radiant Blaze-Once per long rest you may expend a use of your wildshape to take the form of a Plasma Mephit for 10 minutes. You are still able to cast Firebolt and Light in this form, but cannot cast any other spell. At fourth level the Plasma Mephit form uses your spell save DC in place of its own, its AC increases to 13, its maximum hitpoints increase to 30, the damage of Solar Flare increases to 3d6, and the damage of Death Burst increases to 2d10. At eighth level the form gains a 30 foot fly speed, its maximum hitpoints increase to 40, the form may make two claw attempts when it takes the attack action, the damage of Solar Flare increases to 4d6, and the damage of Death Burst increases to 3d10.

Blaze of the Sun-At sixth level, you may add your Wisdom modifier to any fire or radiant damage you deal.

Body of Light-At tenth level, you continuously shed 10' bright light and an additional 10' of dim light. (You can dismiss or bring back this light as a bonus action.) In addition, you have resistance to fire and radiant damage. In addition, you have advantage on saving throws against any effects caused by undead.

Solar Inferno-Your Radiant Blaze feature improves. You may now become a Plasma Mephit once per short rest and may remain in the form for a full hour. While in Plasma Mephit form you are now able to cast Druid evocation spells. Solar Flare increases to 5d6 damage and now recharges on a 5-6.

For Plasma Mephit stats, see Flahy's post down below. Credit goes to Flashy for Radiant Blaze and Solar Inferno.

Mith
2015-11-06, 10:54 PM
Two thoughts on this:

1) The title has a spelling error in this (a nitpick I know, but it bothers me.)

2) I feel like Supernova would work better as a 1/ short rest explosive attack, that does a lot more damage, but comes at a cost of some sort, rather then just a stepped up version of Radiant Blaze.

JNAProductions
2015-11-06, 10:58 PM
Two thoughts on this:

1) The title has a spelling error in this (a nitpick I know, but it bothers me.)

2) I feel like Supernova would work better as a 1/ short rest explosive attack, that does a lot more damage, but comes at a cost of some sort, rather then just a stepped up version of Radiant Blaze.

1) Ha-ha, you passed the test! ...

No, no one buying that? Yeah, I goofed up. Thanks for pointing it out.

2) What would you suggest for the mechanics on it?

Mith
2015-11-06, 11:10 PM
I'm picturing something more explosive, which causes knock back with a chance to prone, which probably means that you need to reduce the damage to keep from this being too strong of an ability. Perhaps make this a 1/long rest ability, since Radiant Blaze is 1/short rest.

I cannot really give any suggestion for hard mechanics, since I have no real experience with 5e yet (I own the books, but I have yet to run a game)

Flashy
2015-11-07, 04:00 AM
2) What would you suggest for the mechanics on it?

How about...

Radiant Blaze-Once per long rest you may expend a use of your wildshape to take the form of a Plasma Mephit for 10 minutes. You are still able to cast Firebolt and Light in this form, but cannot cast any other spell. At fourth level the Plasma Mephit form uses your spell save DC in place of its own, its AC increases to 13, its maximum hitpoints increase to 30, the damage of Solar Flare increases to 3d6, and the damage of Death Burst increases to 2d10. At eighth level the form gains a 30 foot fly speed, its maximum hitpoints increase to 40, the form may make two claw attempts when it takes the attack action, the damage of Solar Flare increases to 4d6, and the damage of Death Burst increases to 3d10.

Solar Inferno-Your Radiant Blaze feature improves. You may now become a Plasma Mephit once per short rest and may remain in the form for a full hour. While in Plasma Mephit form you are now able to cast Druid evocation spells. Solar Flare increases to 5d6 damage and now recharges on a 5-6.

Plasma Mephit
Small Elemental
Armor Class: 12
Hit Points: 22
Speed: 30 feet

STR: 7 (-2) DEX: 12 (+1) CON: 11 (+0) INT: 9 (-1) WIS: 12 (+1) CHA: 10 (+0)

Damage Immunities: Radiant, Poison
Condition Immunities: Poisoned
Languages: Primordial, Sylvan
Challenge: 1/2

Illumination: The Plasma Mephit sheds bright light in a 15 foot radius and dim light for an additional 15 feet.

Death Burst: When the mephit is reduced to zero hit points it explodes in a burst of heavenly fire. Each creature within 5 feet must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, taking 6 (1d10) radiant damage on a failed save or half as much on a successful one.

Actions:

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 feet, one creature. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) slashing plus 2 (1d4) radiant damage.

Solar Flare (Recharge 6). The mephit releases a 30 foot line of solar fire. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, taking 7 (2d6) radiant damage on a failed save or half as much on a successful one.

It gives the Sun Druid an option that works moderately well for blasting, but still keys off of one of the primary druid resources (wildshape). I tried to dial the Radiant Blaze form in at CR 1/2 at 2nd level, CR 1 and 4th level and CR 2 at 8th level, which would make the form a single step up from the normal Land Druid progression. With luck I succeeded!

JNAProductions
2015-11-07, 10:41 AM
I like it (a lot)... So I think I'm just gonnna steal it. Nice job, Flashy!

1Forge
2015-11-07, 12:01 PM
what class is this a prestige for?It looks like a druid or cleric but it could be a wizard.never mind I re read it and found it. It looks good to me though I don't really play druids.

JNAProductions
2015-11-07, 12:03 PM
It's a subclass. For Druids. Hence the name "Circle".

1Forge
2015-11-07, 12:04 PM
It's a subclass. For Druids. Hence the name "Circle".

yup sorry about that lol.

RakiReborn
2016-02-12, 09:58 AM
I really like these ideas. Can i use some in my Circle of Elements i am 'brewing or as inspiration for it? Ofcourse, if you let me use it, i'll include a link to this thread ;)

JNAProductions
2016-02-12, 01:51 PM
Feel free to.

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-12, 03:30 PM
That you have to expand a wildshape use is kinda weak for a weak form. Little too much a weak moon druid. I'd just give it once a short rest on third level en later something else, or give something special in this form, more special than it is now.

I really like this overall, though, nicely done!

ThatKreacher
2016-02-13, 01:39 AM
I personally feel like Sacred Flame cantrip would be very fitting!