PDA

View Full Version : The Roy, The Green Glow and The Anti-Life Shell

Trillium
2015-11-06, 03:43 PM
I was re-reading some of the older comics and I noticed an interesting thing... People were joking/speculating that Roy himself glowing green was either residue of Lyrian's gate magic, Zz'dtri taking revenge on Durkon, etc... and you know who else has green magic? Grubwiggler.
Grubwiggler, who once made Roy a golem. Who made Roy INTO a golem, that is.

And you know who's (or, rather, what's) exempt from Anti-life Shell's effects? Elementals, outsiders, undead and constructs. Could some of Grubwiggler's golemagic still linger inside Roy? Maybe bone golems in OOTSverse utilize (tiny) amount of starmetal? Could his bones still basically be a bone golem, just supressed by him being alive?

I'm not sure how it may turn out, but that may be an aswer. Roy is still partially a golem, and maybe he can relinquish his life and free will, to become a golem with a single program - kill Durkon? After all, with a bunch of priests to destroy the golem and raise Roy back afterward, it ain't much of an inconvenience, really.

rbetieh
2015-11-06, 03:52 PM
I was re-reading some of the older comics and I noticed an interesting thing... People were joking/speculating that Roy himself glowing green was either residue of Lyrian's gate magic, Zz'dtri taking revenge on Durkon, etc... and you know who else has green magic? Grubwiggler.

And you know who's (or, rather, what's) exempt from Anti-life Shell's effects? Elementals, outsiders, undead and constructs. Could some of Grubwiggler's golemagic still linger inside Roy? Maybe bone golems in OOTSverse utilize (tiny) amount of starmetal? Could his bones still basically be a bone golem, just supressed by him being alive?

I'm not sure how it may turn out, but that may be an aswer. Roy is still partially a golem, and maybe he can relinquish his life and free will, to become a golem with a single program - kill Durkon? After all, with a bunch of priests to destroy the golem and raise Roy back afterward, it ain't much of an inconvenience, really.

Doesn't that imply that Resurrection spell is not a perfect fix for deadness?

Pyrous
2015-11-06, 04:46 PM

Resurrection is not a perfect fix for deadness. True Resurrection is*.

*Deceased's soul must be free and willing. Deceased must not have died of old age. Deceased must not be dead more than 10 years per caster level. If there are no remains, deceased must be unambiguously identified. This spell can't resurrect constructs or undead creatures.

Shoelessgdowar
2015-11-06, 05:31 PM

Resurrection is not a perfect fix for deadness. True Resurrection is.

Plus it is implied in Durkula's comment:

:durkon: "Nothing that's still alive can penetrate this barrier..."

His mistake is the emphasis, so the respinse could be:

:roy: "Well lucky for me, I'm not still alive, I'm a Bone Golem that is alive again"

AlurenDarkfire
2015-11-06, 07:44 PM
Half-Golem Roy is my new favorite theory.

Ornithologist
2015-11-06, 08:12 PM
We won't know for sure on Roy's possible half golem state until he gets hit by lightning.

Or we can assume that it's very hard to make a half golem - half human creature, and that Durkon spending ten minutes of screen time, wouldn't be able to do it, much less with V destroying the golem.

I would prefer that Roy break the celing on top of him.

Really, I'm suprised no one picked up stakes, not even belkar.

Domino Quartz
2015-11-07, 01:47 AM
So this is the new fashionable theory? Haley is half-celestial, Therkla is Redcloak's niece, Belkar is going to become undead guaranteed, and now Roy is half Bone-Golem? Come to think of it, it's a little surprising that I haven't seen this one before.
But seriously, no. The bone golem was killed when V stomped on it as a dragon, and from then on it was just Roy's skeleton.

Morquard
2015-11-07, 02:55 AM
Only Roy's head was used in the resurrection spell, the rest of his body grew back after the spell was done.

nysisobli
2015-11-07, 06:05 PM
Well the green glow could be caused by a certain green dragon family who lives a valley over, remember its important to be open minded.

StLordeth
2015-11-07, 09:29 PM
Only Roy's head was used in the resurrection spell, the rest of his body grew back after the spell was done. Yeah pretty much this.

Very interesting and different theory though! Haven't heard that one yet.

Pyrous
2015-11-08, 12:11 AM
Only Roy's head was used in the resurrection spell, the rest of his body grew back after the spell was done.

Doesn't that imply that Roy's current body grew from an enchanted skull?

Snails
2015-11-08, 12:33 AM
Doesn't that imply that Roy's current body grew from an enchanted skull?

FWIW, generally speaking, it is assumed that a destroyed magic item (e.g. a golem) is non-magical. It is not obvious that it must be the case.

137beth
2015-11-08, 03:07 PM
Maybe it's a discount bin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0088.html) version of Antilife Shell, and it doesn't block out animals or half-animals! That would allow a half-camel like V to walk through the anti-life shell!
Of course I'm ignoring the fact that clerics don't need to purchase their spells, and that if V were allowed to participate in the fight, V could just dispel the anti-life shell.

Oooh, or maybe the MitD will enter as the representative of the Easter pantheon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?293047-MitD-007-GoldenEyes-%28Please-Read-the-First-Post%29&p=16480896&viewfull=1#post16480896), and be able to destroy the anti-life shell!
Although that might not actually work: even if my completely implausible joke conjecture were true, the MitD wouldn't be able to attend herself, and doesn't have a high priest as far as we know. And even if a HPoMitD did show up, they would be bound by the same rules preventing the other gods from interfering.

EDIT:
Or better yet, one of the "no"-voting gods is actually Trigak, who will demand three votes for themselves, thereby breaking the tie and rendering Hel's vote irrelevant.

SaintRidley
2015-11-08, 09:15 PM
Plus it is implied in Durkula's comment:

:durkon: "Nothing that's still alive can penetrate this barrier..."

His mistake is the emphasis, so the respinse could be:

:roy: "Well lucky for me, I'm not still alive, I'm a Bone Golem that is alive again"

Nearly as silly a response as this:

:roy: "Lucky for me I'm not still alive. I'm moving."

WindStruck
2015-11-08, 10:13 PM
Well anyway, speaking of the thread title, we'll have to see if Roy swinging his sword with a green glow will change what happens...

After all, anti-life shell seems kind of like the thing energy very damaging to undead my disrupt.

Kranerian
2015-11-09, 09:27 AM
Oooh, or maybe the MitD will enter as the representative of the Easter pantheon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?293047-MitD-007-GoldenEyes-%28Please-Read-the-First-Post%29&p=16480896&viewfull=1#post16480896),

Do his worshipers get chocolate rabbits and marshmallows? If so, count me in.

dtilque
2015-11-09, 11:41 PM
Do his worshipers get chocolate rabbits and marshmallows? If so, count me in.

The MitD ate all the Easter candy. Sorry.

Fish
2015-11-10, 12:38 AM
Ninja Turtles will save the day. Everybody knows they can easily penetrate that barrier.

After all, they're heroes in a half-shell.

dancrilis
2015-11-10, 05:07 AM
Ninja Turtles will save the day. Everybody knows they can easily penetrate that barrier.

After all, they're heroes in a half-shell.

Much as I like the Turtles I am afraid that we have confirmation that the OOTS universe takes place in the DC multiverses (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0359.html), Darkseid might be able to help with controlling Anti-Life however.

Kantaki
2015-11-10, 06:11 AM
Much as I like the Turtles I am afraid that we have confirmation that the OOTS universe takes place in the DC multiverses (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0359.html), Darkseid might be able to help with controlling Anti-Life however.

Shouldn't they be part of Marvel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0560.html)?:smalltongue:

Onyavar
2015-11-10, 06:52 AM
and now Roy is half Bone-Golem? Come to think of it, it's a little surprising that I haven't seen this one before.
But seriously, no. The bone golem was killed when V stomped on it as a dragon, and from then on it was just Roy's skeleton.

That's what Rich wanted us to believe all along!

More seriously, I had also been one of those who favored the theory that the bone golem period will have a further story impact... until V stomped the golem for good.
Now, looking back at it, I'm oddly believing that this is actually one of the more plausible theories as to why Roy healed all his wounds - right along with "ancestral sword channeling the ghost of his gramps", "azure city smith didn't mention another enchantment on the sword that so far never triggered for reason whatever" and "Roy champion of Thor".

I'm still waiting for the reveal though.

Trillium
2015-11-10, 07:47 AM
Gah!
But I just realized! The whole Crystal Golem incident was just a foreshadowing! Why would Rich remind us about golems and Grubbwigler (and show us his green dweomer for the first time), if it wasn't a foreshadowing? It wasn't crucial to the plot in any way!

WoDHells
2015-11-10, 08:47 AM
If you think about it, aren't we ALL half bone-golem?

DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN

Rift_Wolf
2015-11-10, 09:46 AM
Nah, didn't you see the way he air juggled Durkon just now? Clearly the bone golem was Spinal from Killer Instinct. Roys Wounds healed because round three started. Durkon's didn't because his bones weren't exported from a long forgotten beat em up. However, he's now wise to Roys powers and is turtling till the timer runs out. What Roy really needs is for his sword to channel the ghost of Ray Harryhausen so the bone golem can be animated again, albeit incredibly slowly, before it can unleash it's Ultra Combo and drop Durkon off the Edge of the mountain to be finished off by Sweet Zombie Belkar. Or Reptile.

martianmister
2015-11-20, 07:33 PM
This is the funniest thread on this forum. :smallbiggrin: