PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How do I get the Celerity Domain in the FRCS?

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-06, 06:27 PM
What it says on the box. I am away from books and most sites are blocked. I haven't been able to find a Forgotten Realms deity with the Celerity Domain.

Thanks in Advance!

ComaVision
2015-11-06, 06:35 PM
I don't believe there is a deity with the Celerity domain in FRCS.

inb4 I'm proven wrong by the next post

Necroticplague
2015-11-06, 06:45 PM
Use the Heretic of the Faith feat. Lets you exchange one domain from your god for one other one (and lets you echange favored weapon and makes it really hard for you to lose clerichood.)

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-06, 07:32 PM
Celerity goes to Ehlonna, Fharlanghn, Olidammara, Xan Yae, and Zuoken, none of which I believe are in Forgotten Realms or Eberron, just Greyhawk.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-11-06, 08:01 PM
It wasn't printed in any FR book or any Eberron book, so it won't have any of those settings' deities listed. However, in FRCS on the second page of the characters chapter is a list for converting core characters and PHB deities to FR equivalents. Ehlonna = Mielikki; Fharlanghn = Selune, Shaundakul; Olidammara = Oghma, Sune, Tymora; and Xan Yae and Zuoken aren't in the PHB so they're not listed. Xan Yae is in Complete Divine and almost certainly has a FR equivalent, Zuoken is in XPH and could almost be considered setting-neutral, unless psionics are inherently a part of the setting already.

GilesTheCleric
2015-11-06, 09:41 PM
Deities with Celerity:

Brandobaris, Gh
Corellon Larethian, Gh, FR (CD 109, 110, DaD 58, 62, Drag283 39, PHB 32, 106, RotW 20, FaP 125, FRCS 238, DA5 104)
Ehlonna, Gh
Erevan Ilesere, Gh
Fharlanghn, Gh
Grankul, Gh
Huhueteotl, Gh
Istus, Gh
Labelas Enoreth, Gh
Olidammara, Gh
Rillifane Rallathil, Gh
Sheela Peryroyl, Gh
Solonor Thelandira, Gh
Traveler, Eb
Vhaeraun, Gh
Xan Yae, Gh
Zuoken, Gh
All this and more could be yours for the low, low price of free in my upcoming domain handbook!
Your only choice is Corellon Larethian, assuming your GM will allow you to use domains not listed in the FR books. The sum of all of of Corellon Larethian's domains are: Celerity, Chaos, Community, Elf, Good, Liberation, Magic, Plant, Protection, and War. I haven't yet gotten to "C" yet in my final list of deities, so I don't know the sum of available favoured weapons; you'll have to check each of the sources listed. Celerity is from one of these sources: LGD 37, LGCS 11 (Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0, Living Greyhawk Campaign Setting).

Curmudgeon
2015-11-06, 10:46 PM
Your only choice is Corellon Larethian, assuming your GM will allow you to use domains not listed in the FR books. The sum of all of of Corellon Larethian's domains are: Celerity, Chaos, Community, Elf, Good, Liberation, Magic, Plant, Protection, and War. I haven't yet gotten to "C" yet in my final list of deities, so I don't know the sum of available favoured weapons; you'll have to check each of the sources listed. Celerity is from one of these sources: LGD 37, LGCS 11 (Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0, Living Greyhawk Campaign Setting).
It's from Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0, page 37. However, that might be a tough sell in a FR campaign. Celerity domain is originally from Complete Divine, but Celerity is excluded from Corellon Larethian's list there (page 109). It's only in the Living Greyhawk setting that Celerity is added. Good luck getting that Greyhawk-specific source approved in a Forgotten Realms campaign.

Honest Tiefling
2015-11-07, 03:22 PM

Wait, why can't he take one of the other gods? Many of those are in Faerun as well as Corellon. Or are you saying he's the only decent choice?

GilesTheCleric
2015-11-07, 03:39 PM
If they're in both settings, then the OP is free to take them as the GM allows. I didn't see any sources for the others from 3.X FR books, but I also might have read over the abbreviations that aren't obviously FR (ie that start with an "F"). I can list the sources for all of them if you like.

Honest Tiefling
2015-11-07, 03:50 PM
Brandobaris, Corellon Larethian, Erevan Ilesere, Labelas Enoreth, Rillifane Rallathil, Sheela Peryroyl, Solonor Thelandira, and Vhaeraun all have appearances in the Forgotten Realms Faiths and Pantheons, but lack the Celerity domain, because as more knowledgeable people have pointed out, it wasn't in print at the time.

Basically, any racial elven/halfling/dwarven god is probably in Faerun.

Crake
2015-11-07, 10:58 PM
Is there something stopping you from making a cleric that follows an ideology rather than a deity in forgotten realms?

UrsusArctos
2015-11-07, 11:06 PM
Is there something stopping you from making a cleric that follows an ideology rather than a deity in forgotten realms?

If you don't worship a god in Forgotten Realms, your soul is put into a wall after death for eternity. That goes for everyone, not just clerics.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-07, 11:07 PM
If you don't worship a god in Forgotten Realms, your soul is put into a wall after death for eternity. That goes for everyone, not just clerics.
Where's that from?

GilesTheCleric
2015-11-07, 11:09 PM

I have a list of all rules relating to taking domains, and I don't recall any allowing pantheon picks mechanically in FR.

UrsusArctos
2015-11-07, 11:11 PM
Where's that from?

It first showed up in Faiths and Avatars, and was later detailed again Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Third Edition. Probably a couple more books too.

EDIT: It's called the Wall of the Faithless.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-07, 11:27 PM
I have a list of all rules relating to taking domains, and I don't recall any allowing pantheon picks mechanically in FR.
There don't need to be any new rules there; the general rules for Clerics in Player's Handbook apply in the FR setting also. From page 5 of Player's Guide to Faerûn:
FORGOTTEN REALMS Campaign Setting: Chapters 1 through 3 of Player’s Guide to Faerûn update and supersede Chapters 1 and 2 of the FORGOTTEN REALMS Campaign Setting.
Chapter 1 of FRCS (specifically, page 8) is where the 3.0 rule requiring Clerics to have patron deities is, and the entire first two chapters of FRCS are defunct in a 3.5 setting.

GilesTheCleric
2015-11-08, 12:24 AM
Did you mean the general rules from Deities and Demigods? That's where the pantheon rules are. Those rules are more specific than the PHB ones.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-08, 01:22 AM
No, I wasn't referring to worship of pantheons, but rather eschewing deities and picking domains related to a cause.

Inevitability
2015-11-08, 03:47 AM
You can be a dragonwrought kobold with Extra Domain...

Er, right. We're looking for sensible solutions here.

Perhaps your character has travelled from another world (through the plane of shadow) to the FR? Deities should still be able to grant spells across those boundaries, right?

Alternatively, forget about the Wall, worship an idea, and just plan towards lich or something. Why be afraid of death if you can't die?

torrasque666
2015-11-08, 10:24 AM
No, I wasn't referring to worship of pantheons, but rather eschewing deities and picking domains related to a cause.
Could be a rule that the DM is enforcing. Some DMs find the whole "must worship a deity" thing to be a limiter on a cleric's power, so they can't just pick the two best domains for whatever concept they're doing. They'll have to pick the deity that closest fits their concept. Especially as some domains (War for example) specifically references the deity in question for the power, and without a deity they lose the benefit of that power. (War for example, specifies the deity's favored weapon. Ideals have no listed favored weapon, and thus, if you take it without worshiping a god you don't get a weapon)

Honest Tiefling
2015-11-08, 01:16 PM

Technically speaking, nothing at all. But by the rules in the Campaign setting if you don't have a god, you don't get divine spells, at all. It even applies to other divine spellcasting classes. So you could just worship an idea, but you'd just become a crappy fighter.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-08, 02:31 PM
But by the rules in the Campaign setting if you don't have a god, you don't get divine spells, at all.
I guess you didn't read my post here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20049360&postcount=16), because that's a 3.0-only rule; it was removed for D&D 3.5.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-08, 02:57 PM
That heretic feat will work fine. Thank you all.