PDA

View Full Version : FMA Alchemist Class. (PEACH)

Kyace
2007-05-28, 01:41 PM
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.

Alchemists.

Alignment: Any

Hit Die: d6

Alchemist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Alchemy

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Trait

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Trait

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Trait

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Bonus Feat

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Trait

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Trait

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9|

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9|Bonus Feat

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Trait

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11|

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Trait

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Bonus Feat[/table]

Class Skills: Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points: 4+Int, x 4 at first level.

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Alchemists are proficient with all simple weapons and one martial weapon they select at first level. Alchemists are proficient with light armor and shields (Not including tower shields). Alchemists must draw transmutation circles to perform their alchemy and armor heavier than light restrict movement and may ruin circles drawn. Alchemists in heavier armor may activate transmutation circles in heavier armor with no penalty. Roll the arcane spell failure as normal when an alchemist draws a transmutation circle in medium or heavier armor, if the result is a failure, then the circle will do nothing.

Alchemy:
Alchemists perform transmutations to cause changes in matter. At its most basic, alchemy requires a transmutation circle drawn (usually in chalk, however ink, blood, carved, tattooed and even embroidered circles may be used), which is a move action, then requires a standard action to perform the alchemy while touching the circle with a hand. The transmutation circle remains afterwards and may be used again to perform the same alchemy to recreate the same effect.

Transmutations are based, out of character, on the lowest level of alchemist that could perform it. Henceforth, where there text says Alchemist Level X, this means a transmutation that requires an alchemist of at least level X to perform. An alchemist has a measure of energy it takes to perform alchemy, called Alchemy Energy, which for a fully rested alchemist is equal to their Constitution ability score. It takes an alchemist 4 points of Alchemy Energy to perform their most advanced transmutation (The transmutation’s Alchemist Level is equal to their own). It costs 2 points to perform a transmutation of Alchemist Level the level below their own. It costs 1 point to perform transmutations of ALs 2 below their own level or less. Any transmutation with AL of half their AL or less requires no Alchemy Energy points. Alchemy Energy regenerates at a rate of 1 per hour. For example, a level 7 Alchemist could perform an AL 7 transmutation for 4 AE, or an AL 6 transmutation for 2 AE, or an AL 4 or 5 transmutation for 1 AE, or a transmutation of AL 3 or less at no cost.

Example Transmutations:
Direct Damage: The most basic direct damage transmutation deals xd6 damage, where x is the AL. This damage is typed, either pseudoelemental, such as acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic, or mundane, such as bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing. This damage is dealt as a ranged touch attack using Alchemist Level of the transmutation instead of BAB and Intelligence instead of Dexterity. The attack is medium range, 100 feet + 10 per AL of the transmutation. The type of energy, and the Alchemist Level of the transmutation is set when the transmutation circle is drawn.
Area Damage: At the time the transmutation circle is drawn, the direct damage may be applied to a spherical area instead. One or more of the d6 of damage may be spent to enlarge the radius of the area by 5 feet. (Thus an AL x transmutation will deal xd6 damage to a 5 ft radius or (x-1)d6 damage to a 10 feet radius, (x-2)d6 to a 15 feet radius and so on). Reflex save halves the damage, with the save being 10 + 1/2 the AL of the transmutation + the alchemist’s int.
Prolonged Area Damage: At the time the transmutation circle is drawn, some or all of damage dealt by an area damage transmutation may be converted to continuous damage. For each 4d6 of instant damage the area attack would have dealt, 1d6 per round for a number of rounds equal to the AL of the transmutation. Prolonged damage is dealt, upon entering the area, as soon as the transmutation is performed and on the start of your turn. Reflex save halves the damage, with the save being 10 + 1/2 the AL of the transmutation + the alchemist’s int.

Example: A level 10 alchemist could draw a AL 10 transmutation circle which deals 10d6 damage to one target, or a 9d6 damage to a 10 foot radius sphere, or a 10 foot radius sphere that deals 3d6 damage (1d6 normal area damage + 2d6 prolonged damage) this round and 2d6 damage every round for 10 rounds.

Wall: This transmutation gathers nonmagical matter from the floor to build a wall. The wall is made of the same matter as the floor. The wall is x feet high and x times 5 feet wide, with x HP and normal hardness for that material, where x is the AL of the transmutation. The wall may be climbed or jumped as normal. A wall created by a transmutation cannot be further raised or built upon by alchemy, however the matter may be lowered back into the floor by a transmutation of the same AL or higher. The range of this transmutation is short (25 feet + 5 per 2 AL) and if creatures are in the squares you target, they may make a reflex save to move to the side they wish, choosing randomly if they fail.

Create Weapon: Using alchemy, you can turn local nonmagical material into a quick but short-lived weapon. The weapon may be any weapon you are proficient with. The weapon lasts for x rounds and acts as a magical weapon with bonus +(x/4) where x is the AL of the transmutation. The weapon has HP equal to the AL and hardness as normal for the base material. You cannot create a weapon out of material with is already under the effect of a transmutation. The range of this transmutation is short (25 feet + 5 per 2 AL) and the weapon ends up in the same square the material came from.

Create Object: Using alchemy, you may create an object out of local nonmagical material. You may turn x pounds of matter into an object of any time you could craft normally, where x is the AL of the transmutation. You must then succeed a craft check against the normal DC of the object. If you succeed on the craft, you end up with a crude-looking but functional object. You may deconstruct an object made this way back into the material it came with another transmutation of equal or greater AL. Most people will not buy objects made this way. The range of this transmutation is short (25 feet + 5 per 2 AL) and the object ends up in the same square the material came from.

Create Chimera: Fusing two creatures together, alchemists can create chimeras. You may combine two nonmagical living creatures, each can have no more Hit Dice than half of the AL of the transmutation. To succeed, you must succeed a melee touch attack against both targets and both targets much fail a special fort saving throw in which they may add their intelligence ability scores (not modifiers) to their throw. The save DC is 10 + (AL /2) + your Int mod. If they fail this fort save, the two creatures merge permanently to become a chimera. The resulting chimera has HD equal to the greater HD of either target creature, the greater ability score for each ability score from the target's ability scores, the greater speed for each mode of movement either target. All other features, including class and racial features, skill ranks, BAB and saves are pooling, with the creature using the better of overlapping features. The resulting chimera has the memories of both target creatures, including spells/powers known. The process of becoming a chimera has an unhinging effect on intelligent creatures: newly created chimeras with intelligent scores greater than 2 must make a Will Save or become insane (as the spell Insanity). The alchemist has no special control over the chimera, however if the more intelligent of the target creatures were trained with the "handle animal" skill, the resulting chimera is considered trained. If a target succeeds their fort save, they automatically succeed on all saves against "create chimera" by the same alchemist for the next 24 hours.
Alchemy does not appear to be able to turn a chimera back into the base creatures, however limited wish, miracle, or wish can restore the creatures back to their normal forms. Targeting a dead chimera, it is possible to raise either base creature (leaving the other as a corpse in the remaining body mass) or even to raise the resulting chimera with the raise dead spell.
A chimera created by alchemy is a different creature than the chimera found in the Monster Manual, they only share the name.

Traits:

Cleaving Touch:
Requires Touch of Alchemy
If your Touch of Alchemy attack deals enough damage to bring a target to 0 or less HP, you may make a second touch of alchemy attack against a second target for free as a swift action.

Crafting Prodigy:
Any craft skill [such as craft(basketweaving)] you have at least 1 rank but less than 5 ranks in, treat as if you have 5 ranks in. Selecting this trait once applies it to all skills which qualify.

Damage Widen:
Select one form of damage from acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic, bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing. When you draw transmutations circles to deal damage of that type, you now have AL/2 virtual d6 of damage in addition to the normal d6 you would get for the AL of the transmutation. These virtual d6 may not be used to deal damage, however they can be spent to increase the size of area damage attacks. You may select this trait multiple times, each time you do so you may apply it to another form of damage.

Hands Free Transmutation:
You no longer need to touch transmutation circles with your hands to activate circles; however you must still have the transmutation somewhere on your person to activate it. The transmutation circle takes up a magic item slot, usually on your hands or neck. This is usually done by wearing jewelry or clothes with the circle in the design; however chalk on skin may be used in a pinch. The circle must still be drawn (or crafted or embroidered) and with all decisions needed made at drawing (such as AL and damage type) made when the circle is put to clothe, metal, skin or whatever. You may have two different transmutations on two different magic item slots and select when performing which one to activate.

Healing Touch:
Once a day per living target, you may perform alchemy to help speed healing. The transformation turns AL lethal damage into nonlethal damage, which the body can then heal as normal.

Overlap Circles:
You may now draw two or more transmutation circles overlapping. The greater resulting transmutation circle has an AL equal to the sum of the ALs of the partial circles. When you perform the greater transmutation, you are treated as perform all partial circles at the same time. Each partial transmutation has the same AL as the partial circle it came from, but the total AL of the whole transmutation is used to decide the AE cost. For example: you could overlap an AL 3 sonic direct damage circle with an Al 5 electricity direct damage circle to create an AL 8 circle. This circle can be used to deal 3d6 sonic damage to one target and 5d6 electric damage to a second target, which may or may not be the same target as the first. You may no longer activate each partial circle, only the greater circle as a whole. This trait may be used on all transmutation circles, not just damage dealing ones.

Touch of Alchemy:
Select a type of damage from acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic, bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing. When drawing a transmutation circle that deals damage of this type, you may elect to perform it as a melee touch attack instead of a ranged touch attack. If you do so, treat all d6 of damage as rolling 5. You may not select this trait a second time.

Weapon Proficiency:
Select one martial or exotic weapon. You are now proficient with that weapon. You may select this trait multiple times, each time you do so you may apply it to another weapon.

Edit 1: Added Table, Chimera and traits
Edit 2: Added handle animal as class skill and cleared up chimera section.
Edit 3: Changed Create Chimera to follow Fusion's example.

Cubey
2007-05-28, 02:01 PM
I like it! Fits the flavour, requiring both Intelligence and Constitution, and the transmutations aren't set in stone, but general rather.

I'd adjust the cost in Alchemy Energy for transmutations though - a level 10 alchemist can make a 10d6 attack for 4 AE, but 9d6 one would cost only a half of it. Maybe it's just an issue for the Direct Damage transmutations.

I'd also change it so that you can't switch the type of energy of your attack, at least not for free - because types like Sonic are too powerful in DnD rules. Maybe have it as physical (bludgeoning) damage as default, and have the alchemist spend d6 (just like when enlarging the area) to change the type - one for basic things like Fire or Ice, two for Acid and three for Sonic.

Also a deconstruct transformation would be prudent - of course, it would work only on inanimate matter. An instakill transformation (think Kimbley) could be ruled in too, of course with save DCs and an appropriately high AE cost.

Kyace
2007-05-28, 11:20 PM
My reasoning was to view AE as recovery times. It takes 4 hours to recover 4 AE and only 2 hour to recover 2 AE. At 2 AE, they can perform at their second best 12 times a day, but only 6 times a day at the very best. However, the real cost of using your second best isn't the AE, it is the fact that you may have ended the fight earlier. I figure the average encounter NPC should have HD equal to max d6 you can throw. You have limited actions per round so I figure players will usually attack "all out" even if you get less damage per AE. It takes a move action to change how high the AL is set (to draw a new circle), so most players will go into a fight with a max damage circle predrawn. I figured if I did a run off of 4 AE, 3 AE, 2 AE then 1 AE until half AL, then everyone would either attack full AL or half AL.

Also, the energy is set when the circle is drawn. It takes a move action to change the energy. In a more finalized version, alchemists will be able to select bonus "traits" every couple rounds. One such trait would let you focus on an damage type (such as fire) which would gives you more d6 for attacks made with that type, but gave you less d6 for attacks made with others, however I want to see if the alchemy system holds water before I do so.

About the deconstruction thing, I figure players are free to describe how the alchemy looks, just the exact damage is set by the system, so a 10d6 fire damage might be flames jumping from the ground to cover the target, or the elements in the flesh of the target igniting and exploding or a series of mirrors made from loose sand focusing sunlight to cook the target. I had a few ideas in which alchemists could exchange range for d6, so a touch attack would cause more damage than a short range attack cause more damage than a medium range which would cause more than a long range, however I wasn't sure how to scale it so I left it off for now. I'd like everything to scale from level 1 to level 20 and I really don't know how to make "save or head explodes" do that. Each "create wall" and "create object" has a deconsctruction use build in.

Thanks for the advice Cubey, I will consider making the AE scale linear instead of doubling.

Akennedy
2007-05-29, 09:09 AM
I like it so far, but I would think he would have a high fort rather than a high ref, (if you have some sort of reasoning that I'm oblivious to, I'd like to read it please! :D)

Kyace
2007-05-29, 11:51 PM
I like it so far, but I would think he would have a high fort rather than a high ref, (if you have some sort of reasoning that I'm oblivious to, I'd like to read it please! :D)

The hardest part of the class is that there doesn't appear to be a typical alchemist. Edward Elric would appear to be a high dex/high reflex alchemists however that may not be the norm. Mostly, I figured that most alchemist-vs-alchemist fights appear to involve a lot of near misses of attacks (as an effort to keep the fights going longer and being more interesting, I'm sure) I gave alchemists good reflex and will saves (honestly, you never see spellcasting classes without good will saves; I guess once you figure out how to reshape the physical laws of the universe, shaking off a sleep spell is easy.) I'm not sure what is good reflexes due to personal talent or general alchemical combat training.

Ioth
2007-05-30, 10:06 AM
looks nice, while reading it I had to continually remind myself about the points used for the things, and yeah the costs for a diffrent energy type would make sense where it starts out as piercing, bludgening or slashing, 1d6 cost, fire, lightning or ice 3d6 cost sonic or force. (otherwise nothing would stop someone from just constantly going with sonic/force.) well anyways other then that it seems good, oh also you should give them craft (alchemy Int

Or at least something slightly similar like an abbilty to fuse stuff together, actually they're alchemy abbilty should probably even give them the abbilty of +50% of X minimum 1, to craft.

This would be a little powerful but it makes sense.

Wraithy
2007-05-30, 12:12 PM
excellent, though you might want to rename "create chimera" for the same reason you couldn't have "create Homunculus", allready in the monster manual. some things just don't carry over to D&D-mostly names.
how long would it take to draw a transmutation circle, would there be a check involved?

Kyace
2007-05-30, 02:39 PM
I didn't actually list force as a type of damage that can be applied. Going back to the SRD, it seems the only real advantage that sonic and acid have is that they ignore hardness against objects. Looking at Psionic Powers that deal energy damage, the only differences between psionic energy damage and alchemic energy damage is that psionic fire and cold deal +1 damage per d6, sonic deals -1 damage per d6, cold uses a fort save instead of reflex and they don't list acid damage. Basically, this means an alchemist has effectively an unlimited use limited power version of shatter, however since alchemists could deconstruct nearly any object, I think it fits.

If everyones feels sonic is overpowered, I can apply the -1 per die damage penalty, but currently I don't think it needs it.

Good catch Wraithy, I didn't even think about MM chimeras. I'll make a note saying that alchemist created chimeras are a different type of creature than 'common' multiple-headed ones. Hopefully that will be enough. On a related note, think I should make handle animal a class skill for chimera users?

It takes a move action to draw a transmutation circle, however the circle may be used multiple times. Most factors are set at the time the circle is drawn, such as weither a circle deals damage, raises a wall, or something else, what type of damage the circle deals, weither the circle deals direct, area or prolonged area damage and the AL of the circle. There is no check to draw the circle, however drawing it in medium or heavy armor applies the arcane spell failure that the circle won't work. A player in heavy armor can use an already drawn circle at no penalty. To draw a circle and use it to transmute is a move action plus a standard action.

Wraithy
2007-06-02, 07:36 AM
arcane spell failure for wearing armour? god help Alphonse

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-02, 11:35 AM
arcane spell failure for wearing armour? god help Alphonse

Eh, he's some sort of wierd template, so the armor doesn,t effect his alchemy.

Nice job Kyace, I love FMA.

puppyavenger
2007-06-02, 01:45 PM
why exactly the ASF again?

RationalGoblin
2007-06-02, 02:10 PM
Perhaps Al is some sort of warforged or warforged only template?

Oh, and could you stat out the Homonculi and the more human-like Chimeri? I would be interested to see how they work.

And perhaps you could add a free proficenicy (spelled wrong, I know) or weapon speciality for any one type of weapon?

Edward Elric would have wrist blades, Major Hughes would have those little knives, Roy Mustang would have ray attacks(?) Al would have... Hmm, unarmed? Hawkeye would have pistols.

On another note, I would love to play in a PBP game set in the FMA universe.

Poerts
2007-06-02, 02:51 PM
Thanks for making me feel like a weeaboo again. I freakin' hate you Kyace.
Also, if memory serves me right crazyfatgoblin, neither hughes or hawkeye were alchemists.

Wraithy
2007-06-02, 03:20 PM
i suppose if we really wanted to make an alchemist class fma style we would have to write an entire suplemental book about it, there are just so many possibilities with this class. you'd need a to divide transmutations up in to difficulty groups like spells (but still keep the current system of Al and points), you'd need alot of different abilities and..... just loads of stuff, waay to mutch work unless you're paid

Rama_Lei
2007-06-02, 04:58 PM
I'd add a lawful requirement for the laws of alchemy.

Kyace
2007-06-03, 12:56 AM
why exactly the ASF again?Mostly for metagaming reasons and to explain why none of the alchemists wore armor in the series. Typically any class that doesn't have some sort of restriction against armor ends up with level 3 players in full plate. If it is a big deal, draw the transmutation circles before hand on cards and pull them out to use them. Still a move action but no ASF.

Perhaps Al is some sort of warforged or warforged only template?

Oh, and could you stat out the Homonculi and the more human-like Chimeri? I would be interested to see how they work.Create Chimera allows human-like chimera, they just get to add their int scores to the fort save if they wish to resist and both base creatures must have less than half the HD of the alchemist. Technically, there isn't even anything preventing someone from combining two humans into a single chimera... Which in hidesight might allow for some interesting uses of the Leadership feat. Hopefully any DM would say that once your followers are higher than what your leadership level will allow, they quit following you.

Just to water test human-like chimera, there are a few in this spoiler:

Loa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_characters_of_Fullmetal_Alchemist#Loa)- The bull human chimera that knocked Greed's head off with a hammer:
Originally a level 2 warrior and a 5 HD bull (bison (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bison.htm)).
Loa
Large Magical Beast (augmented animal/humanoid)
HD 7d8+21 (56 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
Init: +1
AC 13 (-1 size, +4 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 13
BAB +5; Grp +15
Attack Gore +10 melee (1d8+9) or Large warhammer +10 (2d6+9 x3)
Full-Attack Gore +10 melee (1d8+9) or Large warhammer +10 (2d6+9 x3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Stampede
Special Qualities Low-light vision, scent
Saves Fort +10, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities Str 22, Dex 11, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills Intimidate +5, Jump +8, Listen +7, Spot +5, Swim +8
Feats Alertness, Endurance, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush
Environment Devil's Nest (bar)
Organization Solo or Greed's gang (Greed + 2d4 Chimeras)
Challenge Rating 3
Treasure Standard
Alignment Lawful Neutral
Advancement by class; Favored Class Any
Level Adjustment --

The human had stats Str, Dex, Con 11, Int, Wis, Cha 10. The bull had Str 22, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 4. As it is unique, there shouldn't be enough in one place for the stampede to come into play.

Shou Tucker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_characters_of_Fullmetal_Alchemist#Shou_Tucke r)- Half human and half bear thing:
Originally a level 5 human Alchemist and a 6 HD brown bear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bearBrown.htm).
Shou
Large Magical Beast (augmented animal/humanoid)
HD 6d8+5d6+44 (91 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
Init: +1
AC 15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
BAB +7; Grp +19
Attack Claw +14 melee (1d8+8)
Full-Attack 2 claws +14 melee (1d8+8) and bite +9 melee (2d6+4)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Improved grab
Saves Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +7
Abilities Str 27, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills Concentration +12, Decipher Script +12, Handle Animal +12, Listen +4, Knowledge (Arcana) +12 Knowledge (Nature) +12, Spellcraft +9, Spot +7, Swim +12,
Feats Endurance, Run, Track, Skill Focus (Decipher Script, Handle Animal, Knowledge (Arcana) and Knowledge (Nature)).
Environment Devil's Nest (bar)
Organization Solo or Greed's gang (Greed + 2d4 Chimeras)
Challenge Rating 7
Treasure Standard
Alignment Chaotic Evil
Advancement by class; Favored Class Any
Level Adjustment --

Can perform alchemy as a 5th level alchemist but usually fights using lesser chimeras (such as dog/lizard chimera). He selected Healing Touch as his alchemy trait at 3rd level.

Shou had a nonelite array with Str 9, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 12. The bear had Str 27, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6. Yes, the bear was more wise than him. Yes, the chimera is "smarter than the average bear."

And, because it amused me:
The Owl (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/owl.htm)-Bear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bearBrown.htm) Chimera. From a 6 HD brown bear and a 1 HD owl.

Owl-Bear Chimera
Large Magical Beast (augmented animal)
HD 7d8+28 (63 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 40 ft. (average)
Init: +3
AC 17 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
BAB +5; Grp +17
Attack Claw +12 melee (1d8+8)
Full-Attack 2 claws +12 melee (1d8+8), bite +7 melee (2d6+4), talons +7 melee (2d6+4)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Improved grab
Saves Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +4
Abilities Str 27, Dex 17, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6.
Skills Listen +14, Move Silently +4, Spot +10 (+18 in Shadowy), Swim +12
Feats Endurance, Run, Track, Alertness, Weapon FinesseB
Environment Cold or Temperate Forests
Organization Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating 3
Treasure None
Alignment Always Neutral
Advancement 8-11 HD (Large); Favored Class
Level Adjustment --

Brown Bear had Str 27, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6.
Owl had Str 4, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 4
The Bear had +4 bab and the Owl had +0 bab, but since they both got their BAB from animal hit die, I went ahead and gave them BAB for 7 HD of animal die, instead of adding them. I'll leave it up to DMs to decide when it makes sense to stack HD for features or not. Personally, I wouldn't allow someone to turn two level 4 wizards into a level 8 wizard, but instead give them an 8 HD wizard that casts spells as a level 4 wizard... but with twice as many spells per day. :P Effectively a Wizard 4/Wizard 4. Now, if they tried that with two fighters, the DM is more than welcome to let them stack and take a feat away from one of them. The Owl-Bear's Fort and Reflex saves were lower because I made the HD stack, but with 17 dex and 19 con, I doubt it really hurts it.

And perhaps you could add a free proficenicy (spelled wrong, I know) or weapon speciality for any one type of weapon?

Edward Elric would have wrist blades, Major Hughes would have those little knives, Roy Mustang would have ray attacks(?) Al would have... Hmm, unarmed? Hawkeye would have pistols.

On another note, I would love to play in a PBP game set in the FMA universe.
Alchemists can select one martial weapon at first level to be proficient and can use the traits to become proficient with more weapons.

I'd add a lawful requirement for the laws of alchemy.
State Alchemist might have a lawful bent to them, but the class was meant to cover all alchemist, not just the state ones. Still, quite a few of the state ones were willing to bend or break the rules so they might not be too lawful.

Fizban
2007-06-04, 01:36 AM
Well, as for the battles being long and people missing a lot, it only has 3/4 BAB, and the campaign probably used the defense bonus variant.

Obviously there will need to be a trait or feat to completely remove the need to draw a circle, al la Ed, probably with a reduction in ability when not using a hard circle.

Really, most of the fighting was just trading blows with anime flashiness, and transmuting can be covered mostly with the abilities listed. I'd leave chimeras and hommunculi out of it for players, usable on a plot only basis myself.

Kyace
2007-06-05, 06:23 PM
Well, as for the battles being long and people missing a lot, it only has 3/4 BAB, and the campaign probably used the defense bonus variant.

Obviously there will need to be a trait or feat to completely remove the need to draw a circle, al la Ed, probably with a reduction in ability when not using a hard circle.

Really, most of the fighting was just trading blows with anime flashiness, and transmuting can be covered mostly with the abilities listed. I'd leave chimeras and hommunculi out of it for players, usable on a plot only basis myself.
I'm not sure I wish to allow players to create human chimeras but I also dislike artificial barriers. Having noticed the Fusion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fusion.htm) psionic power, I think I'll rework chimeras to be in line with the power, with the greater of the HD between the two base creatures instead of the sum and an XP cost. Does that sound more reasonable?

Fizban
2007-06-06, 12:00 AM
It's not that I'm opposed to it mechanically in general, I just don't think that those abilities, as portrayed in the show, are very PC appropriate. They might be good for a PrC, something like "Student of the Forbidden", who learns how to create chimeras, hommunculi, and the red stone. Would have a non-good prerequisite. You'd need a way to create the red stone to actually get useful hommunculi anyway, and since these all involve some serious screwing up of people, they can be grouped into a thematic PrC.

Kyace
2007-06-06, 02:19 PM
It's not that I'm opposed to it mechanically in general, I just don't think that those abilities, as portrayed in the show, are very PC appropriate. They might be good for a PrC, something like "Student of the Forbidden", who learns how to create chimeras, hommunculi, and the red stone. Would have a non-good prerequisite. You'd need a way to create the red stone to actually get useful hommunculi anyway, and since these all involve some serious screwing up of people, they can be grouped into a thematic PrC.

Hmm, very good point. I'll see if I can rework it toward that.