PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Nations

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-05-28, 05:25 PM
Discussion of Game and Tricks thread.

Ugh, great game, I love how it goes through all the stages. The nukes are a good addition, You just nuke a base and send in troops. Personally, my favorate nation are the Aztecs because when im in a fight i get more supplies.

Om
2007-05-29, 06:14 AM
I loved this game and its probably the best RTS I've played in recent years.

From what I can remember, I used to play a lot as the Russians and dominate the territory.

elliott20
2007-05-29, 08:44 AM
It's one of the few RTS out there where you can't play "Nomad" in attempt to lengthen the game.

I'm still a bit of a n00b at it since I'm having issues with my build order, but I've gotten quite decent with the Aztec rush.

Indon
2007-05-29, 08:52 AM
My personal favorites are the Americans. Perfect for when you're short in a resource early in the game, and can make the difference between being hopelessly behind and being competitive when the proverbial 'crunch time' comes.

I think they're in the expansion, though...

Maxymiuk
2007-05-29, 10:59 AM
I figured out I don't care either way about which nation I play, since I use pretty much the same strategy every time. By Enlightment I have an army of 60 (20 light infantry, 10 heavy, 10 each of cavalry) + peripherals (patriot or general, supply wagons, scouts) that can heal itself on the go (Versailles and Democracy FTW) and an artillery division of a dozen or so cannons trailing behind. That's typically enough to take out any one computer nation at any difficulty setting (driving straight for the capitol) with 0-30% losses, since once I smash their main army, they start sending units at me as fast as they can produce them, which means they arrive in easy to swallow chunks.

Of course, I typically set the end age to Enlightment. Once you get to Industrial and further, the whole game dynamic changes due to the introduction of aircraft, scouts getting sniper rifles and, most importantly, cavalry becoming tanks, which not only gives them ranged attacks, but suddenly makes your army take up much more space, thus making individual units far easier to isolate and destroy in a flanking maneuver.

Plus, when cruise missles and nukes enter the equasion - given the computer's inclination to spam them all over its territory - the game turns into a race between your army getting to the enemy capitol and your infrastructure (and wonders) turning into smoking ruins.

But if forced to choose a nation, I'd either go with Russia for territorial bonuses, or America for the free Wonder.

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-05-30, 05:06 PM
Yeah, i think the americans are expansion, because i don't have that in my version. As for the nukes, i usualy just get a missle shield and bomb their missle bases. As for nukes, what happens when armageddon reaches 0?

Maxymiuk
2007-05-30, 10:02 PM
As for nukes, what happens when armageddon reaches 0?

Game over. Everyone loses. To continue, play Fallout. :smallbiggrin:

Cybren
2007-05-30, 11:41 PM
Great game marred by bugs and lack of developer support.

Ponce
2007-05-31, 12:09 AM
I play the Japanese usually. Cheaper and more effective farms and fishermen at the beginning are extremely helpful. I also usually play only to the Enlightenment age, it starts getting silly after that, in my opinion.

The pathfinding of the units leaves something to be desired, however.

Cybren
2007-05-31, 12:10 AM
I usually pick random and pray I don't get Spain or Greece. THey're not terrible but they're not on the same level as America, Russia, or Egypt and such

Meeeeebit
2007-05-31, 06:37 PM
The game is fun for a whle then it runs out of things to do and the conquor the world thing is sort of lame then it all kinda goes downhill...but thats just my oppion.

Carry on with posting about aztec rushing :smallbiggrin:

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-05-31, 09:48 PM
Rise of Legends FTW. That's all I have to say, steampunk is awesome.