PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Warsighted Oracle of Battle: Worth it?

Arbane
2015-11-07, 01:24 AM
My GM's extremely charitable with retraining, so I was thinking of going from regular Oracle (Battle Mystery) to Warsighted Oracle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/archetypes/paizo---oracle-archetypes/warsighted). I'd lose 4 Revelations, but gain three re-allocatable combat feats via Martial Flexibility.

Anyone tried it, and is it worth it?

Pex
2015-11-07, 01:29 AM
If you're willing to spend feats on Extra Revelation you get the best of both worlds.

Arbane
2015-11-07, 01:50 AM
If you're willing to spend feats on Extra Revelation you get the best of both worlds.

That's pretty much my plan - it means I won't have many feats left for metamagic or other stuff, though.

(Un)Inspired
2015-11-07, 08:29 AM
What revelations are you craving? If you only care about 2 or 3 then Warsighted becomes much more appealing.

Captain Morgan
2015-11-07, 10:27 AM
That is true. The other thing about the Battle mystery though is many of the revelations grant you multiple feats for one as you level. So you'll want to think closely about what you hope to gain from the flexible feat slots, especially since you're gonna have lower BAB slowing down prerequisite thresholds.

I believe there is a new feat in Dirty Tactics Toolbox called Dedicated Adversary that can be used to achieve a favored enemy type effect, which is basically a floating +2 to hit and damsge.

Make sure you pick up the Fate's Favored trait to up your buff game, and probably Battle Cry as a normal feat. At level 1, you can use divine favor as a standard, battle cry as a swift, and martial flexibility into Dedicated Adversary as a move action, and gain +5 to hit, +4 to damage, and bonuses to saves. That's not too shabby. (Bleh, just checked the prerequisites, you'll need to be level 5 to get battle cry. Still, this is a rare case of the feat being better than the revelation, and the concept still applies.)

Arbane
2015-11-07, 02:37 PM
That is true. The other thing about the Battle mystery though is many of the revelations grant you multiple feats for one as you level. So you'll want to think closely about what you hope to gain from the flexible feat slots, especially since you're gonna have lower BAB slowing down prerequisite thresholds.

Truthfully, the feat that made me think it might be a good idea was Rat Catcher (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/rat-catcher-combat). (Our GM loooooves swarms, and our team is not well set up to beat them.) That combined with looking over the Combat Feat list and thinking "who would ever take this?" a lot. There's so many feats that might get used once or twice a campaign, tops.

Let's see - as of level 8, I've got Battlefield Clarity, Skill at Arms, Surprising Charge, and War Sight for revelations, and Power Attack, Divine Protection (the good version - the GM let me keep it), Furious Focus and Cornugon Smash for Feats.
If I go Warsighted, my plan was to exchange FF and Cornugon for Extra Revelation Feats to keep my Revelations, and get them back with the flexifeats when they'd be a good choice. (FF any time meleeing, Cornugon if up against anything scareable.)
The only remaining revelations I really want are Weapon Mastery (Either this or maybe Battle Cry at level 9) and Iron Skin (Level 13) - one of the other PCs is big on maneuvers, so that's covered. I don't really have any big plans for feats besides taking Quickened Spell at level 11.
One thing is I've only got 12 Int & Dex, so that walls off a lot of feats for now - I'd need to wait 'til the level 12 or 16 stat-raise to be able to use any feats that branch off of everyone's least favorite paywall, Combat Expertise. :smallannoyed:

And to think I originally chose Oracle because I wanted to keep things simple...

Make sure you pick up the Fate's Favored trait to up your buff game, and probably Battle Cry as a normal feat.

I didn't notice the Battle Cry feat was a swift action, so that's worth remembering. Thanks! (And save-rerolls are always good.) I already have Fate's Favored, so that's taken care of.

Captain Morgan
2015-11-07, 05:34 PM
Sounds like you've got this pretty well thought out. I probably would skip the Battle Cry Revelation. Standard Actions are too precious to you. I'm also not entirely impressed by Battlefield Clarity, but if your DM throws those conditions at you a lot I guess it can't hurt. But with the Battle Cry feat and Divine Protection I wouldn't think you're failing many saves anyway.

If you don't want to do maneuvers, you probably shouldn't bother Combat Expertise. Actually, you shouldn't bother with it anyway, since that Dirty Fighting feat came out in Dirty Tactics Toolbox which is way better and works as the prerequisite.

Arbane
2015-11-07, 06:21 PM
Sounds like you've got this pretty well thought out. I probably would skip the Battle Cry Revelation. Standard Actions are too precious to you. I'm also not entirely impressed by Battlefield Clarity, but if your DM throws those conditions at you a lot I guess it can't hurt. But with the Battle Cry feat and Divine Protection I wouldn't think you're failing many saves anyway.

I meant the Battle Cry Feat, not the Revelation - that one looks good.
Three of us almost TPKed a few levels back when two of us failed our saves vs. a Vargouille's paralyzing scream. That was un-fun.
A few sessions ago, my ENTIRE TEAM failed their saves vs a monster that could spam Charm Person. The GM gives us a free reroll once a session, so we all failed the save TWICE. (In a group where all but one people have good Will saves, at that...It wasn't even a high DC, we just rolled terribly.) I need _all_ the save-boosters I can get. :smallsigh:

If you don't want to do maneuvers, you probably shouldn't bother Combat Expertise. Actually, you shouldn't bother with it anyway, since that Dirty Fighting feat came out in Dirty Tactics Toolbox which is way better and works as the prerequisite.

I don't think the SRD has that one yet, what's it do?

Captain Morgan
2015-11-07, 06:29 PM
You can take advantage of a distracted foe.
Benefit: When you attempt a combat maneuver check against a foe you are flanking, you can forgo the +2 bonus on your attack roll for flanking to instead have the combat maneuver not provoke an attack of opportunity. If you have a feat or ability that allows you to attempt the combat maneuver without provoking an attack of opportunity, you can instead increase the bonus on your attack roll for flanking to +4 for the combat maneuver check.
Special: This feat counts as having Dex 13, Int 13, Combat Expertise, and Improved Unarmed Strike for the purposes of meeting the prerequisites of the various improved combat maneuver feats, as well as feats that require those improved combat maneuver feats as prerequisites.

Arbane
2015-11-07, 06:56 PM
And no prerequisites? Niiiiiice.

Pex
2015-11-08, 01:06 AM

They errata'd Divine Protection. It's now once per day as an immediate action. Not worth the feat.

Arbane
2015-11-08, 01:15 AM
They errata'd Divine Protection. It's now once per day as an immediate action. Not worth the feat.

My GM said it was OK to use the old version. (Because we need all the help we can get to make saves.)