PDA

View Full Version : Question: Does Hel know of the battle that is happening?

Vendanna
2015-11-07, 04:37 AM
I suspect that even if she is in "Proxy" form, she should know something is happening at this juncture, since the HPoH is channeling her divine power.

But probably she isn't issuing any threats to the mortal that is interfering because the other gods would hear she is having problems because she is in Proxy form?

Otherwise... Would she be directing her minion battle like Redcloak did with the giant octopus against the Holy shark of Lien? (not that it went well that one :smallbiggrin: )

factotum
2015-11-07, 02:23 PM
There's no indication that the Gods are aware of anything that is happening in the chamber. Summon Proxy seems to be a "fire and forget" spell that brings the proxy of the God to the chamber but then requires no further intervention, since none of the priests involved seem to have to keep concentrating or anything like that--they're all stood watching this battle.

EmperorSarda
2015-11-07, 03:06 PM
She can only see and hear the other gods.

However, she may know something is up due to the spells that her high priest has cast. She is probably aware of those.

Heksefatter
2015-11-07, 07:11 PM
I wondered the same, but I figured that we would have seen more comments from the proxy-present gods (Hel, Heimdal and Loki) in case they could see what was going on.

Emanick
2015-11-08, 12:40 AM
There is nothing the gods care about more than what is going on in this room. It seems inconceivable to me that any of them wouldn't be watching Roy's battle if they could - and, being gods, I assume they pretty much all can.

That being said, it's possible that Summon Proxy prevents the god being summoned from scrying on something else. It's pretty clear that the proxies can't watch the battle; if there's no version of the god's consciousness still up in god-heaven, or down in god-hell, or whatever, then I assume Hel, Loki and Heimdall still don't know what's going on.

Ruslan
2015-11-10, 06:55 PM
She can only see and hear the other gods.

However, she may know something is up due to the spells that her high priest has cast. She is probably aware of those.I believe a priest contacts his deity when preparing spells, not when casting them. Not saying Hel can't possibly be aware of what Durkula casts, but it'd not be standard D&D protocol.

rodneyAnonymous
2015-11-11, 02:22 AM
Perhaps the gods can see but not hear.

brian 333
2015-11-11, 03:10 AM
Why would any deity with a representative in the room not know what is going on in the room?

The OotS deities may not be omniscient, but they are powerful, and it has been shown that even lesser beings such as Eugene Greenhilt (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0500.html) can scry on the doings of mortals from the afterlife. Any deity (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0353.html) with an interest can look in on what's happening. This seems to me to be exactly the kind of thing the gods would watch.

factotum
2015-11-11, 03:57 AM
This seems to me to be exactly the kind of thing the gods would watch.

Why? As far as the Gods are concerned this is a meeting between themselves, the actions of the meeting organisers (the priests) are largely irrelevant at this point. To put it another way, it would be like the board of a major corporation taking an intense interest in what the cleaners who wiped the table down beforehand are doing...it just wouldn't happen.

gaspe
2015-11-11, 05:04 AM
I think the gods aren't even paying attention to the mortal world directly, look at the direction the gods are looking throght the fight. (i can't link the comics but look at the fourth panel of #1001 and the first panel of #1006)

Jeremiah31.3
2015-11-11, 05:51 AM
Why would any deity with a representative in the room not know what is going on in the room?

The OotS deities may not be omniscient, but they are powerful, and it has been shown that even lesser beings such as Eugene Greenhilt can scry on the doings of mortals from the afterlife. Any deity with an interest can look in on what's happening. This seems to me to be exactly the kind of thing the gods would watch.

The final scene from 998 seems to imply that the gods aren't aware of what's going on. But I would hazzard a guess that at this point if they've been waiting around for the usher to retrieve the demi-gods they likely would have peaked in to see what was going on.

Vendanna
2015-11-11, 08:54 AM
I believe a priest contacts his deity when preparing spells, not when casting them. Not saying Hel can't possibly be aware of what Durkula casts, but it'd not be standard D&D protocol.

The Deity shoulds aware of what spell is being casted from whom. After all even if High priest of Odin would want to cast a prepared spell, if it would go against Odin wish, the spell wouldn't come out. (common sense especially in the case the priest decides to use its power against the deity in question)

Remember, a cleric isn't casting a spell like a wizard. the cleric just tell the god. "please <deity> use your power here" then the deity is the one casting the spell. (and why I think Hel knows what is happening there, since she doesn't have a lot of clerics burning High spell slots)

Pyrous
2015-11-11, 09:42 AM
The Deity shoulds aware of what spell is being casted from whom. After all even if High priest of Odin would want to cast a prepared spell, if it would go against Odin wish, the spell wouldn't come out. (common sense especially in the case the priest decides to use its power against the deity in question)

Remember, a cleric isn't casting a spell like a wizard. the cleric just tell the god. "please <deity> use your power here" then the deity is the one casting the spell. (and why I think Hel knows what is happening there, since she doesn't have a lot of clerics burning High spell slots)

Then why they have to prepare the spell in the first place?

factotum
2015-11-11, 11:50 AM
I'm with Pyrous there. If the Gods were having to be personally involved every time their followers cast a spell they'd have no time to do much else. There are obviously exceptions made (such as when Thor allowed Control Weather to do something it shouldn't have been able to in Cliffport), but I think most of the time the gods just grant their power to their follower when they prepare their spells.

Ruslan
2015-11-11, 04:31 PM

Remember, a cleric isn't casting a spell like a wizard. the cleric just tell the god. "please <deity> use your power here" then the deity is the one casting the spell. (and why I think Hel knows what is happening there, since she doesn't have a lot of clerics burning High spell slots)Not in D&D lore, it doesn't. In standard D&D lore, the deity involved when the cleric is asking it for spells. Then, spells are granted, in a manner similar to this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm), and the cleric has them. Voila. The deity, being a deity, certainly can get involved in any aspect of the spellcasting, but more often than not, chooses not to. Again, in standard D&D lore. YMMV.

Pyrous
2015-11-11, 04:45 PM
Not in D&D lore, it doesn't. In standard D&D lore, the deity involved when the cleric is asking it for spells. Then, spells are granted, in a manner similar to this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm), and the cleric has them. Voila. The deity, being a deity, certainly can get involved in any aspect of the spellcasting, but more often than not, chooses not to. Again, in standard D&D lore. YMMV.

Or in OotS lore, like this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0040.html).