PDA

View Full Version : Go Team Aasimar!

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-05-28, 08:08 PM
So I'm firing up a Ptolus PbP over on Rawhide's boards somewhere in the next few weeks, and the possibility has come up of generating an all-aasimar party. I think it might have actually been my idea, now that I think back.

Anyway: clearly there are some issues to think about. For starters, that means an entire party of non-humanoids so things like charm person are out the window. Since they'd all be LA+1, they'd have relatively fewer HP than a more typical party per their ECL, especially at lower levels, though the resistances make up for at least some of that.

So...what else am I not thinking of?

And of course...cool or stupid?

Indon
2007-05-28, 08:11 PM
Awesome, of course.

Assimar, I do believe, can grab some feats tailored for them; I seem to recall seeing on this forum one about getting wings (Outsider Wings, I think it's called), but I can't say where it's from.

Warpfire
2007-05-28, 08:17 PM
Assimar

Is that what a tiefling calls an aasimar?

ocato
2007-05-28, 08:19 PM
You could balance this with a half-aasimar style party, give them a dual-heritage ability (counting as both) or somesuch. That way you get all the flavor and none of the calories... I mean problems.

Worth considering.

2007-05-28, 08:43 PM
You could balance this with a half-aasimar style party, give them a dual-heritage ability (counting as both) or somesuch. That way you get all the flavor and none of the calories... I mean problems.

Worth considering.

Yeah, and there was an article on the WotC site maybe a year ago, that breaks several of the famous +LA races down into a level progression, which would allow people to be "minor aasimar" as +0 LA.

I dunno. Clearly there should be more reading done on my part.

Indon
2007-05-28, 08:44 PM

Yes. Yuan-ti as well, in fact!

TheOOB
2007-05-28, 09:18 PM
Even using the WotC level progressions you still suffer from the problum that the Aasimar does not gain enough to justify LA +1, but it too powerful for LA 0. Everyone and their mother has a LA 0 level varient, here is mine.

Light Born
-Medium: As Medium creatures, light borns have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
-Light born's base land speed is 30 feet.
-Darkvision out to 60ft
-+2 racial bonus to diplomacy and sense motive checks
-Resistance to acid 5, cold 5, eletricity 5
-Cure Minor Wounds, Light, and Virtue as spell-like abilities usable once per day with a caster level equal to their character level
-Favored Class: Paladin, a light born paladin may multiclass freely

Kurobara
2007-05-28, 09:21 PM
There's a Lesser Aasimar from Player's Guide to Faerun that just changes them from Outsider (Native) to Humanoid (Planetouched) - that'd knock off the LA (though i think they're still a little overpowered for LA+0 at that point, if only due to the two positive ability mods) and solve the problem of immunity to stuff like charm person.

TheOOB
2007-05-28, 09:26 PM
Its the bonus to two mental stats with no penalties that makes aasimars too powerful, not the outsider type. The outsider type grants just as many weaknessess as resistances (thought not quite as sevear as a non-native outsider).

Macrovore
2007-05-28, 09:26 PM
I didn't like the "lesser planetouched." The outsider type isn't all that gave them a +1 LA. it's mainly the ability scores. Aasimar get +2 CHA and WIS and no penalties. Tieflings get +2 DEX and INT and -2 CHA. I'm all for taking away the tiefling's CHA penalty, and maybe giving the Aasimar something extra, but IMO, the LA is well-deserved.

Jack Mann
2007-05-28, 09:32 PM
Well-deserved? Necessary, perhaps, but surely not well-deserved. Just like hobgoblins, they're just too weak for the LA. This isn't to say that they should be LA 0, but those ability modifiers just aren't as good as getting an extra class level. A level 1 Aasimar is not the equal of a level 2 human. The difference becomes somewhat less as they gain levels, but they're never quite as good as their LA 0 counterparts, except perhaps in a game that allows LA buy-off.

So more than a little something. Enough to boost their total abilities to the equivalent of a class level.

Amiria
2007-05-29, 02:46 AM
A long time ago I've read here about making Aasimar and Tiefling +1 LA templates.

I like the idea and we have incorporated it in my RL D&D group. So you could have a Human Aasimar => Human racial traits + Darkvision, the resistances, abilitiy and skill bonuses, and Daylight.

woc33
2007-05-29, 03:26 AM
ignore the LA, the entire party has the same LA so you could just say that it doesn't exist and give them encounters 1 level higher

CrazedGoblin
2007-05-29, 04:25 AM

haha :smalltongue:

Soepvork
2007-05-29, 04:52 AM
Yeah, and there was an article on the WotC site maybe a year ago, that breaks several of the famous +LA races down into a level progression, which would allow people to be "minor aasimar" as +0 LA.

There you go: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a :)

Charity
2007-05-29, 05:08 AM
Just give them all twice as much money and give the players a years supply of buns...
Just an impartial opinion.

Lots of folk swear by the LA buy off... I don't really know how that works, though it can't be that hard...

Buns.

Oh and wings, wings would be cool... eh for them... just an impartial opinion and all.

Were-Sandwich
2007-05-29, 05:25 AM
I always wanted to play an Aasimar, who used to be an Archangel, but fell for some reason. Maybe with little horns, and a halo of fire, and take Outsider Wings.

Dark Tira
2007-05-29, 05:48 AM
Its the bonus to two mental stats with no penalties that makes aasimars too powerful, not the outsider type. The outsider type grants just as many weaknessess as resistances (thought not quite as sevear as a non-native outsider).

Actually, that's kind of the point of the lesser versions. Although it's oft overlooked, lesser planetouched are also vulnerable to all the spells and effects that affect outsiders in addition to the standard humanoid vulnerabiities.

kjones
2007-05-29, 08:10 AM
Is it just me, or is paladin a really bad favored class to have, since Paladin's can't really do the whole multiclassing thing?

Talya
2007-05-29, 08:12 AM
Is it just me, or is paladin a really bad favored class to have, since Paladin's can't really do the whole multiclassing thing?

it's okay if you choose to multiclass out of paladin later, but you can't go back to it.

That means Aasimar fallen paladins have a very easy transition to blackguard. :smalleek:

Person_Man
2007-05-29, 09:30 AM
Official WotC LA+0 version right here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a). +2 Cha, Light once per day, +2 Listen and Spot, Resistance 2 to acid, cold, and electricity.

Aasimar screams out for someone to play a Crusader, his retarded cousin the Paladin, or his evil magic immune goatee wearing uncle, the Hexblade/Paladin of Tyranny (or Blackguard).

Dark Tira
2007-05-29, 10:12 AM
Official WotC LA+0 version right here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a). +2 Cha, Light once per day, +2 Listen and Spot, Resistance 2 to acid, cold, and electricity.

Not quite true. According to the rules for Racial Classes, if you take the first level you have to take all the levels before gaining normal class levels. Otherwise, there'd be a bunch of single level succubi running around.

Golthur
2007-05-29, 10:52 AM

Depends. If you play Forgotten Realms, the paladins of certain deities can multiclass freely. I once had a multiclass paladin of Torm/psychic warrior. Awesome character.

High-Chancellor
2007-05-30, 04:18 AM
They all have the same LA anyways, so why bother? They're the PCs! It's not like you're pitting them up against other PCs or anything.

2007-05-30, 05:40 AM

Oh, yeah...what a bother, that. I'm changing the favored class to "Any" so these guys have some more options.