PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making a new PC's background work

Seruvius
2015-11-07, 10:55 AM
I am currently DM-ing Hoard of The dragon Queen for a group of people who are all new to DnD. One of the PC's is playing a Gnome Bear totem barbarian (modelled on the Nac-Mac-Feegle from terry pratchet). I loved the idea so have helped her make it work (special starting 2 handed weapon that isnt heavy etc.).

The problem is that as part of her Background, the character was basically out drinking and when she woke up her tribe of gnome-barbarians had disappeared and no one she asked even seems to have heard of them, as if erased from history. I at first thought it a cool bit of fluff for her and gave the odd hint but now they are on the road from Baldurs gate to Waterdeep and she is taking the missing tribe aspect quite seriously and is making a lot of effort at each stop to find out anything about them. I want to reward this first time DnD player for Roleplaying as well as she is, but I can't seem to come up with a story that seems satisfying.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thrudd
2015-11-07, 11:38 AM
I am currently DM-ing Hoard of The dragon Queen for a group of people who are all new to DnD. One of the PC's is playing a Gnome Bear totem barbarian (modelled on the Nac-Mac-Feegle from terry pratchet). I loved the idea so have helped her make it work (special starting 2 handed weapon that isnt heavy etc.).

The problem is that as part of her Background, the character was basically out drinking and when she woke up her tribe of gnome-barbarians had disappeared and no one she asked even seems to have heard of them, as if erased from history. I at first thought it a cool bit of fluff for her and gave the odd hint but now they are on the road from Baldurs gate to Waterdeep and she is taking the missing tribe aspect quite seriously and is making a lot of effort at each stop to find out anything about them. I want to reward this first time DnD player for Roleplaying as well as she is, but I can't seem to come up with a story that seems satisfying.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Work it into the adventure, if you plan on keeping her on track. She can find out her tribe was kidnapped by the dragon cult, or the red wizards, or someone else related to the plot. They were recruited by a good dragon and teleported or flown away to somewhere they were needed, and she got left behind. Make sure wherever they are or whatever happened, it makes sense that she will continue pursuing the dragon cult plot to resolve her questions.

Mr.Moron
2015-11-07, 11:48 AM
Throw in some NPCs in a simliar situation. Not gnome-barbarians mind you, folks that just found themselves in area suddenly with everyone else basically having forgotten basic facts about the world.

A man who was making camp at the foot of the world's tallest mountain which was supposed to be *right* over there, pointing to a place with no mountain and nobody every thinking one was there.
An elf who has been hauled off the local madhouse for claiming humans are extinct and have been for thousands of years, and cannot comprehend how they are around.
A bizarre looking creature that's half-man, half-armadillo and unlike any known race in the setting. He swears up and down he doesn't notice anything odd will consistently mistake the gnome for a halfing if pressed he'll seem confused not knowing what a gnome is.

Basically you want to establish without explicitly saying so that something, or someone is pulling in folks from alternate dimensions. Then find a way to tie this back into the core the adventure path. I'm not familiar but if it involves any evildoers pursuing magic artifacts, or trying to summon something from another plane that could be a good point to tie things in.

Seruvius
2015-11-08, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the replies. The parallel worlds mixing idea I do quite like, though as Thrudd said it is probably a good idea to keep it all tied to the main plot of fight nasty dragon cult. Ooh i think I've got an idea now. Stopping mcguffin -> bring gnomes back from wibbly wobbly parallel dimension.