PDA

View Full Version : Runelord 3.5 Homebrew Class

LordOfCain
2015-11-07, 12:09 PM
Is this over/underpowered. How is it compared to core classes. First time I tried to create a non-prestige class. Google Docs Link (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s65vTs-OHEiVoIO8129JueBQ7mTvBAB8lUMCD4rDMdA/edit?usp=sharing)

LordOfCain
2015-11-07, 12:57 PM
Any advice would be welcome. :smallbiggrin:

LordOfCain
2015-11-07, 06:37 PM
ANY of the 20 or so people that looked at that want to comment??

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-07, 08:52 PM
The chassis looks fine-- medium BAB and 6th level spells is about right for a partial caster.

The special abilities look good too, with two exceptions:

Arcane Sight is probably too strong for a first level ability-- it's a third level spell, remember. I'd start with Detect Magic at will, and upgrade to full-on Arcane Sight around 10-12, and Greater Arcane Sight around 15-18.
Weapon Finesse at 4th level is a bit odd-- the class doesn't otherwise have a particularly strong Dex focus. More than that, if you were going for a melee build you'd need Strength up until that point.

Rune Magic needs... more. As-is, it's very poorly defined. Going through bit by bit...

Rune Magic: A Runelord is capable of harnessing spells through runes. As they level up they gain access to more powerful spells.
Okay.

They use rune points to create runes. The cost of a spell in rune points is twice its level and if it has a gold piece or experience cost, half the gold piece cost and/or half the experience point cost in rune points.
2*spell level? Cool, though I'd note that 0-level spells cost nothing by that standard. The gold/exp is almost never going to come up, though. At 20th level, you might have what, 60 rune points? When you factor in the cost of the spell itself, you're talking maybe 100 gold/xp-- not a significant amount at all.

(You also don't have enough points to cast very many spells, but that's not necessarily the end of the world. Still, I recommend writing up a conventional spells/day progression and converting that into rune points-- that's what I've done for similar homebrew in the past)

Rune points that were not used from previous days are kept until the next and rune points are restored at midnight.
Okay, I think you mean that your points reset at midnight, but as written it also sounds like unspent points linger until the following day, so you can potentially double up on points/day.

Runes have to be activated like scrolls to be used and have to be carved or drawn on something.
A little more detail would be nice here. Can others use them with UMD checks? If they have the spells on their lists? Do you have to decipher them? But most importantly: do they last until used, like scrolls, or is there a time limit? Because if not, you could spend a week loading up on runes, then nova your way through every fight.

A Runelord can turn all bard and cleric spells he/she can handle to into runes.
So your list of spells known is that of the bard and cleric combined? Okay. You should specify what happens when a spell appears on multiple lists.

(By the way, be patient-- critiquing homebrew is a lot of work)

LordOfCain
2015-11-07, 09:59 PM
New Google Doc: Link (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xPiYnAEnOtHqfEBBb5xP50vUTvzCnTYgKGvZsfWVQkg/edit?usp=sharing)

LordOfCain
2015-11-07, 10:02 PM
You are supposed to be able to have more rune points from previous days. I will put a cap on the number that can roll over.

LordOfCain
2015-11-08, 10:24 AM
Anyone think it is over/under powered?

LordOfCain
2015-11-08, 04:34 PM
Personally I think that the pactmaker is a tad underpowered but I would like to see what others think.

Southern Cross
2015-11-09, 11:46 PM
I'd say the runelord shouldn't have arcane sight at 1st level - replace it with detect magic at 1st level, and give the character access to both forms of arcane sight at higher levels.