PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Using Modules- Do they really save time?

Kol Korran
2015-11-07, 02:05 PM
The inspiration for this thread came from a few discussions I read in other threads, recent personal experience with a Paizo AP, and a thread Yora wrote quite some time ago, but with quite interesting ideas. (Credit where credit is due. Good ideas there! I'll get to that later)

My group usually ran adventures and adventures we wrote on our own. But we're grown up (mid thirties), and have quite a lot of RL responsibilities, and so I felt I won't have enough time to properly prepare, and suggested we'll run one of Paizo's adventure paths instead. The reasoning was- "Hey! That will save me lots of time! They got locations, NPCs, battle stats, treasure and all of that written down, right? I just need to read up a bit before, and I'm ready, right?" one of my players, who GMed for another group, and tried something similar before, warned me: "It won't save you time. In fact, it may take you even more time!" It seemed nonsensical to me, and we were hyped by the concept of the AP (Wrath of The Righteous, if you're interested, I keep a log, with a link in my sig, but not necessary here). And we've began to play.

Everything written down, should be a breeze to prepare, right? Well... no... really not. :smallannoyed: My player was right- on average it takes me even more to prepare. Why is that so? Well, after some time playing, I've come to the following observations:
1- It's not your idea, it's someone else: This sounds obvious, but it has significant implications. The main one is that when you prepare an adventure yourself, the ideas are very fresh in your mind, they came from it! You understands the reasons, the flavor, the pacing, the situation and more, in which everything is set. You feel your adventure, and so you can more easily change it, respond to unexpected actions, and understand and feel it better. With modules, the material is often foreign to a degree, and you can spend a lot of time deciphering the reasons/ rational behind the design ("Why are they using all of these seemingly random encounters? Why isn't that location guarded from X?" and so on) It also takes time to learn of monsters/ feats/ spells/ tactics/ other game elements you rarely use, and need to brush up on/ relearn/ study. This take quite a bit of time, and make for a clunkier game when the PCs do something unexpected.

Adjustments for your party: APs are supposed to fit the "classic adventuring party", perhaps with slight adjustment to the theme of the campaign (desert, pirates, horror, mythic heroes and so on). As such, they will NEVER quite fit the party to a good degree, unless the party are all "random adventures, follow quest givers, interested mostly in combat". As I came to realize (and wrote about it in another thread), APs can rarely be used as fully written adventures, but rather as inspiration for adventure design. You seem to need to adjust for sooooo many things: power level, style of play, PCs personalities and background, house rules, party make up, treasure and gear, sometime even the setting and the world!
And this can take a lot more time than making it on your own really. Why? Because here you have to look through the design already there, decipher and sift through what you want to use, what you want to tweak, make balances, changes and so on... So you need to add/ adjust a lot of your won stuff, while dealing with what someone else intended, instead of just your own stuff.

3) Very little room to diverge from the path: This may be mostly true for Paizo's APs (Or "Plot-based adventures" as Yora calls them), which assume a fairly strict order of events (For most cases, some are a bit more lax, and have some sandbox feel, like kingmaker), and they don't much cope with unexpected actions by the PCs. I'm not blaming them- they CAN'T quite deal with the unexpected... Or can they? I'll later touch on Yora's idea of Task-based adventures, which suggest a way to deal with this problem. But in the Paizo APs, when (not IF) the party does something unexpected, you usually have very little help in the module itself. And more than that- you now have to respond to the actions, with a story and setting premises that are not of your own mind, so you understand them less, and respond more clankily. The bigger problem is that the APs RELY on the sequence, so once the PCs are off track, you either find a way to get them back (With some railroading), or you just kiss the AP goodbye, and do your own thing... But then why did you need it anyway?

This usually means that you need to do a lot of work in between sessions, (Adjusting consequences of PC actions) or before them (Trying to think of possible actions, which the module did not really include)

Not that great writing or design: To be fair, this is somewhat of a generalization. I haven't played all Paizo's APs, or even read all of them. I'm DMing the Ap I mentioned at the start, and played through a few modules by PbPs. I have read quite a few more though, and read about problems gamers have had with many of them. The APs seem to have lots of design problems. Some of the major repeating offenders I've seen:
- Very little connection between modules in the same AP: At the end of a module you usually have something that very, very loosely links to the next chapter. There is very little cohesion and sufficient recurring motifs, build ups for major NPCs and antagonists and so on. I understand the need for each module to be able to stand on it's own, but their main goal is to be played as a campaign, and it can't be that hard to include some added material to show progress of main features and themes throughout. A big reason for this problem is that the different modules are written by different people, and there seem to be no coordination of... you know... the campaign as a whole, as one story, not just adventures who follow each other. I've seen it done very badly in the AP I'm DMing, and read a few others, in which this glaring problem repeats.
Again, this means a LOT of work for the GM, but not writing his won story, but rather disentangling a messy story, and trying to find ways to make it work together.
- A LOT of "filler material": Paizo's adventures are choke full with combat which is there just to fill XP, is not really challenging, and has absolutely no impact on the story except for whether the PCs kill or are killed (since it's not challenging usually, the answer is simple), and give out treasure. My group has little game time, and so prefers fewer more challenging, more important encounters, but my guess is that many would prefer it as well than the "XP-grind". the amount of story development throughout a module, which usually stretch over 3 levels or so, can be done in 0.5-1.5 worth of levels at most.
Which again, leaves the GM with drastically adjusting the material- scrubbing a lot of ti and readjusting the rest.
- Twists and turns? Though there are a few examples to the contrary, Many of the Paizo quests are immensely straightforward- you are given a task, told the general threats involved, and... follow it through. Many guests really lack twists, surprises, mysteries, reveals. This often leads to less suspense, less of a story, less interesting choices, which is a lot of what the game is about, no?
-------------------------------------------

In the AP I'm using, I came to do a LOT of work to make it fit the group. from other campaign logs, playing PbPs, and forum questions, it seems that many GMs spend a lot of time readjusting modules. Are they really time saving? I don't much think so. But, they are useful as inspiration, and as a very general, basic structure I think.

Yora wrote quite an interesting thread, with intriguing ideas (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?303155-Task-based-adventures-and-published-adventure-modules&highlight=module) a while ago, which stuck in my head, and which I remembered recently. A core idea in the thread is for a different kind of modules- "Task based modules". In short- There is a setting, two or more groups, with somewhat conflicting agendas, each with their own basic plans, resources, and such. The module details (loosely), the events that will happen if the PCs weren't there. However, there is no sequence of events for what the PCs "Should" do, or how the adventure shall progress. The GM reacts to the PCs action, relying on the personalities, resources, plans, limitations, and possibly some "Cases and responses" simple discussion for the antagonist.

She goes further, suggesting to leave out stat blocks and such. the moduel could give suggestions, but leave the main adjustments for the GM. Focusing on REASONING, PURPOSE, and ROLE of the elements, rather than their stats or detailed info, which will most likely be changed by the GM. In short- provide decent inspiration, and basic structure to build upon and expand.

I quite like her ideas, and once this AP is through (We like playing the heavily modified version of it that we run), we'll most likely take that kind of approach. It won't solve all of the problems of time saving, but will at least fulfill it's purpose better, and the GM won't need to decipher the design of an adventure that isn't their own.
------------------------------------

Ok, long post so far. Some questions/ ideas for discussion:
1) Your own experiences with modules- how much tweaking did they need to be satisfactory? What worked? What didn't? Why?
2) How are modules of other games other than D&D 3.5/ PF handled? What sort of design do they take? What works? What doesn't? Why?
3) Anyone tried anything similar to the "Task based modules" Mentioned above? How did it work? Speaking of modules, not stuff you designed yourself (Which tends to run like it many times)

I hope this makes sense, just my observations.
Kol.

Florian
2015-11-07, 02:41 PM
I'll put it a bit bluntly.

As much as I like roleplaying, I'm simply lacking the time to do it the way I deem "right".

With my weekly group, we play APs and everyone agreed to play along, no hassle, no solo stuff. It's not as "deep" or "emotionaly/intellectually rewarding" as it could be, but it is entertaining and needs next to no prep time.

With my monthly group, we go into the deep end, heavily character based stuff, very improvisational, all that. It's good, it's fullfilling, but I'm pretty much exhausted aufterwards.

Truth be told, if I had to chose right now, I'd prefer the "Fastfood" over the well made cuisine, as I simply lack time to really engage in that.

mephnick
2015-11-07, 02:50 PM
Running modules reminds me of university homework. I have to read and memorize this thing someone else wrote and present it to the class. No thanks.

I have a pretty boring job so D&D is one of my creative outlets, I can't waste that time running a module.

Honest Tiefling
2015-11-07, 03:11 PM
I've never actually run a module for more then a single session (and that went...Unexpectedly), so take this with a grain of salt: Maybe the type of module matters? From what I understand, the Paizo Pathfinder ones are meant to showcase the setting and monsters, with a decent enough plot for newer DM's. They're not intended to be sandboxy, and suit a particular style of play. Perhaps a different series of modules would provide a better experience?

I do like Yora's idea of preparing what happens in the absence of the players, because that's typically what I do to prepare as a DM. What resources do the bad guys have, how do they operate, and what's their plan? That tends to work out better for me because then I don't have to rely on the players doing a particular thing and it's easier to improvise.

Thrudd
2015-11-07, 03:55 PM
It really depends on what you and your players expect from a game, in terms of immersion and verisimilitude. An adventure path is easy to run if you don't expect the game to be anything more than some characters engaging in some battles and challenges, without needing it to connect to backgrounds or any sort of larger campaign outside of what the adventure specifies.

Using modules without modification are fine for an episodic style where you begin each session by plopping the characters down at the beginning of the story or the entrance to the adventure location, tell them what it is they are meant to be doing there, and let them go for it. Example: "this week, you have followed a treasure map to the lonely mountain, where you have been told there is a giant magic jewel worth thousands of gold, and a hord of treasure besides within the abandoned dwarven city. You stand at the entrance to the city under the mountain. Go get it!"

Next week, or whenever they are finished with the mountain, you start another one. "This week, you have been asked by the local lords to find out who has unified the giant tribes into an army. You have followed some giants back to their fortress in the hills, hoping to infiltrate and get some information. Go !"

The assumption everyone must have is that they are adventurers that want to do this sort of thing, and don't need special cajoling or deeper personal motives to participate in any given adventure.

Talakeal
2015-11-08, 05:41 PM
No, they don't save time. To run a module properly actually takes me significantly more time than coming up with my own adventure from scratch.

However, writer's block isn't an issue of mine, and I usually have far more inspiration for games than I can ever use, and plenty of commute time I can spend going over my adventure ideas in my head. If you are having trouble coming up with ideas they are a very useful starting point even if you take them in your own direction.

If I run a module it is because something about it really grabs me rather than to save time. I don't usually do it though, as my players (and I understand this is not uncommon) seem to have a vendetta against modules and are much harsher critics of them than they are homebrewed adventures, even to the point of actively trying to sabotage them.

themaque
2015-11-08, 07:03 PM
IT varies widely for campaign to campaign and module to module for me.

Example Many of the Pathfinder adventure paths do feel... kind of tight to me? There isn't a lot of elbow room to expand.

Meanwhile the 2nd ed module Nights Below I'm a HUGE fan of. It felt full but with plenty of wiggle room for my own world/group. Admittedly, I've run it a couple of times now but I feel the material it provided helped and reduced the amount of time I would need.

Most successful GM's, I believe, use them as a framework. It's nice to have a pre-made structure you can build off of. It's only if you keep yourself slavishly devoted to them that you start to have problems.

So yes, They do save me time.

Comet
2015-11-09, 01:07 AM
I use modules for three things:

Numbers and maps. This is a huge time saver, even with a relatively simple system.

Remaining impartial. I'm running a pretty lethal sandbox. When I don't write the adventures I won't be upset if the players skip them or only experience parts of them. Also, I won't be tempted to soften my blows to avoid being seen as too harsh. In fact, I don't have to think about how the players are going to solve these modules at all. The adventure is what it is.

Surprising myself and challenging my creativity. The adventures I use are wildly different in theme, tone, mechanics and pacing. Fitting all of them together into a single campaign setting where the players are free to go wherever they wish, whenever they wish is great fun. At this point these modules are no longer in a vacuum, they begin interacting with each other. Spotting patterns and connecting them through the story and seeing players use tools gained in one module to effortlessly solve a major problem in another is the kind of stuff that creates campaign settings that are crazy and unpredictable in the best way possible.

In short, though, I'd say people just need to use better modules. It's true that they don't really save time, so there's no reason to use anything that isn't interesting or different enough on its own to warrant spending all that time getting to know someone else's material.

Florian
2015-11-09, 03:01 AM
Example Many of the Pathfinder adventure paths do feel... kind of tight to me? There isn't a lot of elbow room to expand.

I think it's important to point some things out:
An AP basically is fueled by the "War as Sport"-mentality and only makes sense when approached from this direction.
They also provide a set list of primary character motivations, in the form of Campaign Traits, that are a bit more concerned with reaching the campaign goal instead of some earlier goals. In addition, they put more emphasis on teamwork than on the individual character.

So yes, they seem to be tight when you're used to having each player bring a character with its own motivations and goals, something that actually is contraproductive to that sort of game.

For example, I would announce Jade Regent like this: Ok, people, this campaign is all about a trip bringing one of your childhood friends, who turns out to be a long-lost princess, home. You'll travell from fantasy italy to sweden, the arctic circle, china and then japan. Please read the Player's Guide for that and prepare accordingly.

Joe the Rat
2015-11-09, 09:35 AM
I've never actually run a module for more then a single session (and that went...Unexpectedly), so take this with a grain of salt: Maybe the type of module matters? From what I understand, the Paizo Pathfinder ones are meant to showcase the setting and monsters, with a decent enough plot for newer DM's. They're not intended to be sandboxy, and suit a particular style of play. Perhaps a different series of modules would provide a better experience?

Emphasis mine. Adventure Paths aren't modular, they're full storylines. If you need a world, a setting, a plot, these can be handy. The individual stories or sessions within the APs can be treated as modules, provided that you have the time to build a socket adapter to fit it to your own game. That's where the work comes in - making the published material fit your game, as opposed to making your game in the published material.

A truly modular module is a single event, location, or mission that the party undertakes. You'll have some setting to them, but it is often just a matter of swapping names and places to fit your world. I need a map, I need a stock of bogeys, I need a twist or challenge. Then I cut and paste for my game. You're in Redrock, not Barovia, the artifact in the vault has nothing to do with dragons, the Harpies all look like half-ravens, and the magic longsword has a twin in a future delve.

But I'm a tinkerer. My strengths are in fiddling with pieces, not building clever mazes. I can work up an adventure to run over the next few sessions, or I can take this Caves of Chaos thing and add a plot with a ritual to bind the sun god, and a little misdirection as to which of these monsters was responsible for taking the Black Chalice in the first place. Replace all Orcs with Hobgoblins or Gnolls (because there are no orcs here), have the rogue's missing sister be one of the prisoners in cave H, and I'm ready to roll. In short, give me some crunch, and I can fix the fluff to my players.

I do like Yora's idea of preparing what happens in the absence of the players, because that's typically what I do to prepare as a DM. What resources do the bad guys have, how do they operate, and what's their plan? That tends to work out better for me because then I don't have to rely on the players doing a particular thing and it's easier to improvise.I found this to be really good advice. Even on the micro-scale, remembering that villains don't just hang around waiting to be thwarted by the heroes is a good lesson. Spend too much time resting, and they get away. Fail to capture the boss of mission 1, and she'll be there to help in mission 2. Don't take a job for 2 weeks? Someone else will do it. Action and inaction have consequences on the world.

TheOOB
2015-11-09, 10:43 AM
Honestly, I ran a WotC campaign (tyranny of dragons) and in many ways it was more work than making my own content. There was a lot to read and memorize, and I has limited ability to improvise without risking breaking future adventures. I still enjoyed doing it, and would do so again in the future. Running pre-mades allows you to run adventures in a different style than you would normally, and teaches you some tricks you can use later.

When I make my own adventures I usually spend only about and hour or so a week actually designing, most the rest of the stuff I think up during down time and work and such.

King of Casuals
2015-11-09, 03:18 PM
I'm currently finishing up a Temple of Elemental Evil module that I've been translating from AD&D to pathfinder and its worked out really well (longest campaign that my kind of ADD group has EVER done, and doesn't show signs of stopping). If the book is written well enough that it creates an interesting story and creates encounters and characters that keep you players excited and invested, go for it.

BWR
2015-11-09, 03:56 PM
Emphasis mine. Adventure Paths aren't modular, they're full storylines. If you need a world, a setting, a plot, these can be handy. The individual stories or sessions within the APs can be treated as modules, provided that you have the time to build a socket adapter to fit it to your own game. That's where the work comes in - making the published material fit your game, as opposed to making your game in the published material.

A truly modular module is a single event, location, or mission that the party undertakes. You'll have some setting to them, but it is often just a matter of swapping names and places to fit your world. I need a map, I need a stock of bogeys, I need a twist or challenge. Then I cut and paste for my game. You're in Redrock, not Barovia, the artifact in the vault has nothing to do with dragons, the Harpies all look like half-ravens, and the magic longsword has a twin in a future delve.

But I'm a tinkerer. My strengths are in fiddling with pieces, not building clever mazes. I can work up an adventure to run over the next few sessions, or I can take this Caves of Chaos thing and add a plot with a ritual to bind the sun god, and a little misdirection as to which of these monsters was responsible for taking the Black Chalice in the first place. Replace all Orcs with Hobgoblins or Gnolls (because there are no orcs here), have the rogue's missing sister be one of the prisoners in cave H, and I'm ready to roll. In short, give me some crunch, and I can fix the fluff to my players.

I found this to be really good advice. Even on the micro-scale, remembering that villains don't just hang around waiting to be thwarted by the heroes is a good lesson. Spend too much time resting, and they get away. Fail to capture the boss of mission 1, and she'll be there to help in mission 2. Don't take a job for 2 weeks? Someone else will do it. Action and inaction have consequences on the world.

+1

I like modules and I like certain adventures, because while I spend time reading them and working on them to make sure they fit my game, the ones I choose are easy to do this with and are full of fun ideas and situations. I'm terrible at making adventures from scratch. I'm pretty good at adapting other people's stuff to whatever I'm running and making it work.
Pathfinder Adventure Paths are full-blown campaigns. They are necessarily straightforward (dare we use the term 'railroad'?) because you cannot take every class and optimization combo into account while stocking combat encounters and you can't take every possible action players might make while writing plot progression. If you don't demand absolute freedom in every respect in universe and out they can be quite fun. They can't really be worked into an existing campaign like most adventures or true modules can, because they assume that the AP is going to be the entirety of the game.
I have read a couple APs but not played or run them. My gf has played through a couple of APs with mixed results, with their impression varying from very good (War of the Burning Sky) to good (Shackled City) to so bad they gave up (Savage Tide).
I run old BECMI modules and adventures I convert, and they work brilliantly.

Micah Watt
2015-11-09, 08:08 PM
I think it depends on the module.

If you really gel with it, and the author writes in a style you relate to it can be very easy to assimilate a module, and it can be a huge time saver.

That being said, as the OP indicated, if it's not your own material, it may be hard to 'fit' to your group and your way of thinking. In that case it'll really slow you down.

When you write your own stuff you can make logic leaps and shortcuts because you have 'control' of the concept. That's more difficult to do with published material