PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Arcane Blade: Original Class (WIP)

GanonBoar
2015-11-07, 03:19 PM
The closest 5e gets to a spellsword without multiclassing is the Eldritch Knight, a class which I personally find lacklustre, and I have yet to find a Spellsowrd homebrew I actually like. So I decided to make my own! Presenting... The Arcane Blade!

An elf swings his sword while enveloping his foes with flames. His fireballs clear the way for his sword as he cuts down the enemy. A halfling mutters something before charging with her Rapier. Her spell causes confusion in her opponents, and they provide no resistance as she mows them down. A dwarf's Battleaxe looks like the claws of a Dragon to the enemy lines, sowing fear deep in their hearts.

An Arcane Blade is a Wizard who is more than a wizard, a Swordsman that is more than a Swordsman. An Arcane Blade may never have found where they belong, or they may have known this was their destiny since birth. Whatever their story, an Arcane Blade combines the strategic prowess and spellcasting of a Spellcaster with the undiluted power of a Melee Combatant.

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Cantrips known
Spells known
1st level slots
2nd level slots
3rd level slots
4th level slots
5th level slots

Fighting Style
-
-

-
-
-
-

Spellcasting

-
-
-

Blade Path, Extension of Arm
-
-
-
-

Ability Score Improvement
-
-
-
-

Blade Path Feature
-
-
-

Extra Attack
-
-
-

-
-
-
-

Ability Score Improvement, Blade Path Feature
-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-

Weapon Expertise
-

Blade Path Feature
-

-
-

-

-

Blade Path Feature

Synchronized Sword

As an Arcane Blade, you have the following class features:

HIT POINTS
Hit Dice: 1d10 per arcane blade level
Hit Points at First Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier

PROFICIENCIES
Armour: All Armour and Shields
Weapons: Simple and Martial
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Strength
Skills: Choose two from Arcana, Insight, History, Athletics, Acrobatics, and Stealth

EQUIPMENT
• (a) a martial weapon and a shield or (b) two martial weapons or (c) a martial weapon and 3 javelins
• (a) chain mail or (b) leather and a simple weapon
• (a) an explorer's pack or (b) a dungeoneer's pack or (c) a scholar's pack
• an arcane focus

SPELLCASTING
At 2nd level, your arcane studies have developed into fully fledged spellcasting.See below for the arcane blade spell list.

Cantrips. You learn 3 cantrips of your choice from the arcane blade spell list, which is detailed below. You learn an additional cantrip at 3rd, 7th, and 14th level.
Spell Slots. The Arcane Blade spellcasting table shows you how many slots you have to cast your spells of first level and higher.
Spells known at First level and Higher. You learn 2 spells from the arcane blade spell list.
Spellcasting Ability.Your spellcasting ability is Intelligence. The save DC and attack modifier for your spells are as follows:

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

FIGHTING STYLE
At 1st level, you can choose one of the following fighting styles.
ARCHERY
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
DEFENSE
You gain a +1 bonus to AC when wearing armour.
DUELING
When wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
GREAT WEAPON FIGHTING
When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
TWO WEAPON FIGHTING
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

BLADE PATH
At third level, you become accustomed to using your sword and mind together in a particular style. Choose either the Path of the Flame, Path of the Mind, or Path of the Blade, all detailed below. Your Blade Path grants you features at 3rd level, and again at 5th, 8th, 14th, and 18th level.

EXTENSION OF ARM
You have an intimate relationship with your weapon. Beginning at 3rd level, you can choose one of your weapons and cast a ritual that bonds them to you. You must be touching the weapon for the duration of the ritual or it will not work. The ritual takes a duration of one hour and can be done over a short rest. You can only have one weapon bonded to you at a time. If you wish to make a new weapon your bonded weapon, you can dispel your bond insantly at will. When a weapon is bonded to you, you can summon it to your hand as a bonus action during your turn. As long as it is on the same plane, you know its precise location, and you can summon it from anywhere.

ABILITY SCORE IMPROVEMENT
You can increase one of your ability scores by 2 or increase two of them by 1 at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level. You cannot increase an ability score over 20 with this feature (unless otherwise stated.)

EXTRA ATTACK
Beginning at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the attack action on your turn.

WEAPON EXPERTISE
At 13th level, you can choose one of the following damage types:
•BLUDGEONING
•PIERCING
•SLASHING
Whenever you make a weapon attack of the chosen damage type, you add half of your Intelligence modifier (rounded down) to the damage.

SYNCHRONISED SWORD
At 20th level, whenever you cast a spell, you can make a weapon attack as well. This does not count as your bonus action.

PATH OF THE FLAME
You have a fire inside your heart and have learned to focus it to cause greater damage with your spells. Despite the name, Arcane Blades who follow this path are experts with casting all kinds of evocation spells, but most choose a particular type of damage to focus their studies on. Those who commit themselves to this path focus on the Blade and Mind working in unison, using damaging spells as much as their sword to destroy their enemies.

BATTLEMAGE
Beginning at third level, you have adapted to using your evocation spells when you fight. You can cast evocation spells with somatic components during combat even when holding a weapon or shield in both hands.

SPECIALITY
At 5th level, you adopt a damage tyoe as your speciality. Whenever you deal this type of damage with a spell, you add your Intelligence modifier to the damage.
•ACID
•COLD
•FIRE
•LIGHTNING
•POISON

BLADE CASTING
Beginning at 8th level, whenever you cast an evocation cantrip as an action, you can make a weapon attack as a bonus action.

BURNING BLADE
Beginning at 14th level, you can augment your weapon with the damage type you chose at 5th level. For a duration of minutes equal to 10 + your Intelligence modifier minutes, you add your Intelligence modifier to the weapon's damage and to any attack rolls you make with that weapon. Also, for the duration, when you deal damage to an opponent with this weapon, you may choose whether it deals the regular type of damage or the damage type you chose at Level 5 for the purpouse of overcoming resistance/exploiting weakness. You can do this a number of times equal to half of your Intelligence modifier (rounded up), with a minimum of 1. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

FLAME FOCUS
Beginning at 18th level, your evocation spells have twice the range. Also, if you have no enemies within a 10 foot radius, you have time to focus your aim as a bonus action, giving you advantage on attack rolls with evocation spells.

PATH OF THE MIND
Arcane Blades who follow the Path of the Mind have honed their minds to be as powerful as possible. For them, their sword is just a tool: their mind is their real weapon.

ARCANE CHANNEL
Beginning at level 3, you may use your bonded weapon as an arcane focus. Your weapon can also perform somatic components of spells as if it were a hand, so you can cast spells withs omatic components even when holding a weapon or shield in both hands.

STUDIOUS
At level 5, you may choose two spells for which you have slots from another class' spell list. You may choose an additional spell at level 10 and one more at level 15.

CONTROLLED CASTING
Beginning at 8th level, you can cast a cantrip as a bonus action instead of an action.

IMPROVED MIND
Beginning at 14th level, you can channel your power through your weapon more effectively than any other class. For a duration equal to 1 + Your Intelligence Modifier minutes, you can cast spells of 3rd level and lower even when you are out of spell slots for that level. Your weapon also deals magical damage for the purpouse of overcoming resistance for the duration. You can do this a number of times equal to half of your Intelligence modifier (rounded up), with a minimum of 1. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

ULTIMATE CASTER
At 18th level, you gain one 6th level spell slot. You also learn one 6th level spell of your choice from the wizard spell list.

JNAProductions
2015-11-07, 03:25 PM

>>>

You... Look, this class is barely even started and it's already overpowered. The very concept is flawed-you want a better gish than the existing options. That's inherently unbalanced.

GanonBoar
2015-11-07, 05:03 PM
This is my first go at making a class, so if you coups give me something specific to fix, I'd really appreciate or. To clarify, I don't want a better gish-I just have always have had an idea of what a gish should be and I couldn't realise it with vanilla 5e.

JNAProductions
2015-11-07, 05:04 PM
What do you want out of a gish?

GanonBoar
2015-11-07, 05:10 PM
I always had a picture of a clever tactitian with a sword in one hand and a fire in the other. I liked a fighter Sorcerer the best but Intelligence is redundant for them, and I wanted to mix in some parts of the bladelock as well. Yes, I know I could accomplish this with multiclassing, but I hate multiclassing so heavily. There were also some more unique points I wanted.

GanonBoar
2015-11-07, 08:00 PM
Added some class features. Had more done, but for some reason got deleted when I saved changes :P

weaseldust
2015-11-07, 08:01 PM
Making a whole class is a lot of bother and takes a lot of effort to balance. I would suggest making a new Wizard archetype because you want something that looks a lot like a Wizard anyway (though why not use the new Bladesinger in that case?). Or you could just replace some Wizard class features. In the past (before the Bladesinger), I have suggested to players that a martially-inclined Wizard swap out the spellbook, the ritual casting, and the Arcane Recovery feature, gain proficiency with medium armour, shields, and one-handed melee weapons, and bond with one weapon that serves as their spellbook and arcane focus and can teleport to their hand like the Eldritch Knight's. Maybe increase the hit dice to d8 as well.

You can also (or instead) create spells to reproduce whatever specific powers you want included. E.g. you mention "a sword in one hand and a fire in the other". So you could make a new cantrip that lets you use a free hand and a bonus action to make a melee spell attack dealing d6 fire damage (i.e. a bit like two-weapon fighting, but with fire).

If you want to make a tactician, make spells that give tactical advantages to you or your allies. E.g. a spell that lets every ally in a certain radius disengage and move 20 feet with their reaction, or one that alters the initiative order for a turn, or one that prevents enemies from moving away from you or your allies.

GanonBoar
2015-11-08, 03:38 AM
I understand what you mean, but there are some things that I can't accomplish that way. Also, I've never tried making a class before, so this is kind of an experiment to see if I can make a balanced one. Also, our group rarely allows homebrew that we din't make unless they really like it, and they don't really like Bladesinger.

DracoKnight
2015-11-08, 03:46 AM

>>>

You... Look, this class is barely even started and it's already overpowered. The very concept is flawed-you want a better gish than the existing options. That's inherently unbalanced.

Yeahhhhhhhhh. . . I have a bit of a reputation on the forum (I think) of appreciating really broken things (what can I say, I'm a powergamer at heart). . . but I agree with JNA. . . even this is WAAAAAYYYYY too broken for me :P

GanonBoar
2015-11-08, 03:58 AM
How, Exactly? I've barely started it so the only things that could be wrong with it is the number of spells or spell slots? Like I said, this is my first go at making a class, so if you see something wrong please point it out so I can fix it, rather than just saying 'it's broken'.

DracoKnight
2015-11-08, 04:09 AM
How, Exactly? I've barely started it so the only things that could be wrong with it is the number of spells or spell slots? Like I said, this is my first go at making a class, so if you see something wrong please point it out so I can fix it, rather than just saying 'it's broken'.

Making it a half-caster would go a long way towards helping maintain balance.

GanonBoar
2015-11-08, 04:21 AM
Making it a half-caster would go a long way towards helping maintain balance.

That is what I intended to do. What do you think I can do to make it more of a half-caster? Remove the level 9 spells?

GanonBoar
2015-11-08, 04:35 AM
Got all the class features up. I've finished one Blade Path, so that should be up soon. The others should be up by tomorrow. Also, I've had people telling me that it's too OP, so if you could actually gve me something specific to fix I can work on making it more balanced.

DracoKnight
2015-11-08, 04:46 AM
That is what I intended to do. What do you think I can do to make it more of a half-caster? Remove the level 9 spells?

Half-casters get spells through 5th level. They start getting spells at 2nd level.

GanonBoar
2015-11-08, 05:09 AM
Ok, I'll do that. Do you think it would be OP, however, if I gave one of the paths more spells? At least up to 8th Level? It's supposed to be a sliding scale, with Path of the Blade being mostly melee, Path of the Flame being sort of a mix, and Path of the Mind being mostly caster. Also, is it ok if the get spells at 1st level? That just feels better to me.
BTW, Path of The Flame is up.

DracoKnight
2015-11-08, 11:30 AM
Ok, I'll do that. Do you think it would be OP, however, if I gave one of the paths more spells? At least up to 8th Level?

Hell. Yes. That's OP. Now, If you were to do something like the Paladin's Oath Spells, no, that's not OP (btw, Paladins are a prime example of a half-caster.)

Also, is it ok if the get spells at 1st level? That just feels better to me.

Look at the Paladins and the Ranger. That's what you're looking at for a half-caster.

What you've currently built right now, is essentially the bladesinger with higher hit dice and the Eldritch Knight's War Caster ability. If your table hates the bladesinger they won't allow this as is.

GanonBoar
2015-11-08, 11:46 AM
OK then, I'll make them half-casters. What do you think of the path of the Flame, btw? I thought it might be a little OP...

GanonBoar
2015-11-17, 12:36 PM
Took a long time, but Path of the Mind is finally up.

bloodshed343
2015-11-17, 03:26 PM
There are lots of ways to do this archetype which don't require spellcasting at all. A gish is not just a wizard with a sword. If you take away the spellcasting, it leaves you free to add features that are on par with martials, but have a distinctly magical feel, similar to a monk's ki abilities. This is the only way, I feel, to make a true gish that's balanced.

Mr.Moron
2015-11-17, 03:37 PM

>>>

This is not necessarily true. If the current implementation of a concept is weak, overly limited, or just plain awkward a new more powerful, flexible or expansive implementation may be best for the health of the game. It's unproductive to think of "Balance" in terms of "Is this no better than any particular option currently printed?" but rather in terms of

"Does this enhance the game by it's existence?"
"Does this fix a problem?"
"Does this play to the strengths of the system?"
"How does it compare to the most compelling content available?"

What matters with a design that occupies the same niche as existing content is this: All other things being equal would the table would be as enjoyable or more so with this design (or set of designs) at the table than what's already available? If the answer to that question is "Yes", then it's a good design even if it's strictly better than the current options in that niche.

This is not a commentary on this class in particular, or Caster/Warriors in 5e generally. It's just a statement on the view I think is most productive with judging this kind of content.
(Though the abundance of "Arcane Warrior"-type classes making appearances in 5e homebrew might hint that as compared to other concepts, this niche is not as satisfactorily filled by official content)

JNAProductions
2015-11-17, 03:40 PM
Fair enough, but there's already so many options for gishes (Bladelock, Valor Bard, Paladin, Cleric, Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster, Bladesinger, and god only knows how many multiclass options) that it's highly unlikely for this specific niche to be unoccupied.

Mr.Moron
2015-11-17, 03:54 PM
Fair enough, but there's already so many options for gishes (Bladelock, Valor Bard, Paladin, Cleric, Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster, Bladesinger, and god only knows how many multiclass options) that it's highly unlikely for this specific niche to be unoccupied.

It's certainly has occupants though Paladin, Cleric and Arcane Trickster are certainly not "Arcane Warriors" by even liberal definitions. Rather it's that the current implementations are failing to fill that niche in a way that's satisfactory. The niche is filled it's just not filled with something that does things they way people are hoping it would.

Seriously, it seems like a good quarter of all 5e Homebrew classes are some variety of "Spell Sword", "Sword Mage" or a similar concept under a different name. We aren't consistently seeing "Like a Druid, only done right!", "This is a wizard, done my way!" or "Like a Rogue, but cooler" stuff pop up all the time. That's a red flag about the way that the Arcane Warrior in particular has been treated.

JNAProductions
2015-11-17, 03:57 PM
I think that's more a testament to how cool the concept of an Arcane Warrior is rather than a lack of support in the official material. But, this will be my last post on the matter here. If we wish to continue this, you should make a new thread, Mr. Moron.

Mr.Moron
2015-11-17, 03:59 PM
I think that's more a testament to how cool the concept of an Arcane Warrior is rather than a lack of support in the official material. But, this will be my last post on the matter here. If we wish to continue this, you should make a new thread, Mr. Moron.

Fair enough. I've said what I wanted.

To the OP: What's with the odd spell progression? I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of introducing new class templates but this caps out really early, getting their highest spell level at 9th. Among other things it makes 15th level dead. Any potential balance issues aside this is just really odd and leave a lot less to look forward to in later levels. Do you have a specific intent with this template and have you considered alternatives ways to achieve it?

GanonBoar
2015-11-17, 04:13 PM
Well, no, to be honest. I just went with the sorcerer spell progression and took out everything after 5th level spells.

Mr.Moron
2015-11-17, 05:10 PM
Well, no, to be honest. I just went with the sorcerer spell progression and took out everything after 5th level spells.

It's probably best to go with the Ranger/Paladin spell progression in that case. Switching over to another template is fine if you have reason for doing so, but probably shouldn't reach their spell level cap before 15th-17th level or so.

GanonBoar
2015-11-18, 01:51 AM
Ok, thanks!

Turtlemancer
2015-11-18, 05:51 PM
The closest 5e gets to a spellsword without multiclassing is the Eldritch Knight, a class which I personally find lacklustre, and I have yet to find a Spellsowrd homebrew I actually like. So I decided to make my own! Presenting... The Arcane Blade!

An elf swings his sword while enveloping his foes with flames. His fireballs clear the way for his sword as he cuts down the enemy. A halfling mutters something before charging with her Rapier. Her spell causes confusion in her opponents, and they provide no resistance as she mows them down. A dwarf's Battleaxe looks like the claws of a Dragon to the enemy lines, sowing fear deep in their hearts.

An Arcane Blade is a Wizard who is more than a wizard, a Swordsman that is more than a Swordsman. An Arcane Blade may never have found where they belong, or they may have known this was their destiny since birth. Whatever their story, an Arcane Blade combines the strategic prowess and spellcasting of a Spellcaster with the undiluted power of a Melee Combatant.

First thing don't listen to anyone who says this doesn't need to exist, it does. The Eldritch knight fills the niche to some degree but provides no real flexibility with the concept. And making It an Archetype fore something else would just be crap, and lets be honest If you are just gonna play an Archetype Elditch Knight would beat any archetype you could make as its based on fighter. I hate it when people compare this idea to a Gish though, The idea most people are shooting for is much closer to the Dusk Knight from 3.5

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Cantrips known
Spells known
1st level slots
2nd level slots
3rd level slots
4th level slots
5th level slots

Fighting Style
-
-

-
-
-
-

Spellcasting

-
-
-

Blade Path, Extension of Arm

-
-

-

-

-
-

-

-

Blade Path Feature

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Ability Score Improvement, Blade Path Feature

-

-

-

-

-

Extra Attack

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Weapon Expertise

-

Blade Path Feature

-

-

-

-

-

Blade Path Feature

Synchronized Sword

As an Arcane Blade, you have the following class features:

HIT POINTS
Hit Dice: 1d8 per arcane blade level
Hit Points at First Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier

Why 1d8 most Half casters get 1d10 I did this on my Shaman but this was more due to the fact that the class was a bit of a skill monkey as-well and my Aura's scare the living crap out of me, balance wise. If you have a reason I wont bring it up again.

PROFICIENCIES
Armour: All Armour and Shields
Weapons: Simple and Martial
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Strength
Skills: Choose two from Arcana, Insight, Religion, Athletics, Acrobatics, and Stealth

Why religion? isn't this and arcane class, History would be more appropriate and tie in closer to it as a Warrior Scholar.

EQUIPMENT
• (a) a martial weapon and a shield or (b) two martial weapons or (c) a martial weapon and 3 javelins
• (a) chain mail or (b) leather and a simple weapon
• (a) an explorer's pack or (b) a dungeoneer's pack or (c) a scholar's pack
• an arcane focus

Looks good but I do have something I would like to bring up.

SPELLCASTING
At 2nd level, your arcane studies have developed into fully fledged spellcasting.See below for the arcane blade spell list.

Cantrips. You learn 3 cantrips of your choice from the arcane blade spell list, which is detailed below. You learn an additional cantrip at 3rd, 7th, and 14th level.
Spell Slots. The Arcane Blade spellcasting table shows you how many slots you have to cast your spells of first level and higher.
Spells known at First level and Higher. You learn 2 spells from the arcane blade spell list.
Spellcasting Ability.Your spellcasting ability is Intelligence. The save DC and attack modifier for your spells are as follows:

Might wanna add cantrips known to your table. Also I guess this is why you went 1d8? I'm not sure that's necessary.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

FIGHTING STYLE
At 1st level, you can choose one of the following fighting styles.
ARCHERY
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
DEFENSE
You gain a +1 bonus to AC when wearing armour.
DUELING
When wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
GREAT WEAPON FIGHTING
When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
TWO WEAPON FIGHTING
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

This is purely personal but I have always thought the idea of a Magic Warrior Duel Wielding didn't work, I know a lot of people like the look but I think such a combatant would be more likely to use great weapons, Polarms, and Single weapons. As that could leave a hand free For spell Casting, that's just me though its up to you on this.

BLADE PATH
At third level, you become accustomed to using your sword and mind together in a particular style. Choose either the Path of the Flame, Path of the Mind, or Path of the Blade, all detailed below. Your Blade Path grants you features at 3rd level, and again at 5th, 8th, 14th, and 18th level.

You just missed an awesome pun. How about War Path?

EXTENSION OF ARM
You have an intimate relationship with your weapon. Beginning at 3rd level, you can choose one of your weapons and cast a ritual that bonds them to you. You must be touching the weapon for the duration of the ritual or it will not work. The ritual takes a duration of one hour and can be done over a short rest. You can only have one weapon bonded to you at a time. If you wish to make a new weapon your bonded weapon, you can dispel your bond insantly at will. When a weapon is bonded to you, you can summon it to your hand as a bonus action during your turn. As long as it is on the same plane, you know its precise location, and you can summon it from anywhere.

ABILITY SCORE IMPROVEMENT
You can increase one of your ability scores by 2 or increase two of them by 1 at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level. You cannot increase an ability score over 20 with this feature (unless otherwise stated.)

EXTRA ATTACK
Beginning at 10th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the attack action on your turn.

WEAPON EXPERTISE
At 13th level, you can choose one of the following damage types:
•BLUDGEONING
•PIERCING
•SLASHING
Whenever you make a weapon attack of the chosen damage type, you add half of your Intelligence modifier (rounded down) to the damage.

Comparing it to similar features. you could just make this whenever you make a weapon attack, you may add your Intelligence modifier on top of the damage and it will be perfectly fine.

SYNCHRONISED SWORD
At 20th level, whenever you cast a spell, you can make a weapon attack as well. This does not count as your bonus action.

This doesn't seem like a capstone, if feels more like a core skill, might consider granting it earlier.

PATH OF THE FLAME
You have a fire inside your heart and have learned to focus it to cause greater damage with your spells. Despite the name, Arcane Blades who follow this path are experts with casting all kinds of evocation spells, but most choose a particular type of damage to focus their studies on. Those who commit themselves to this path focus on the Blade and Mind working in unison, using damaging spells as much as their sword to destroy their enemies.

BATTLEMAGE
Beginning at third level, you have adapted to using your evocation spells when you fight. You can cast evocation spells with somatic components during combat even when holding a weapon or shield in both hands.

I would change this to when holding a two handed weapon or a single weapon in one hand. But again that's just me.

SPECIALITY
At 5th level, you adopt a damage type as your specialty. Whenever you deal this type of damage with a spell, you add your Intelligence modifier to the damage.
•ACID
•COLD
•FIRE
•LIGHTNING
•POISON

You should grant this at level 3 when you take your path.

BLADE CASTING
Beginning at 8th level, whenever you cast an evocation cantrip as an action, you can make a weapon attack as a bonus action.

BURNING BLADE
Beginning at 14th level, you can augment your weapon with the damage type you chose at 5th level. For a duration of minutes equal to 10 + your Intelligence modifier minutes, you add your Intelligence modifier to the weapon's damage and to any attack rolls you make with that weapon. Also, for the duration, when you deal damage to an opponent with this weapon, you may choose whether it deals the regular type of damage or the damage type you chose at Level 5 for the purpouse of overcoming resistance/exploiting weakness. You can do this a number of times equal to half of your Intelligence modifier (rounded up), with a minimum of 1. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Either make this a passive damage buff like Improved Smiting, or make it like an elemental smite. As it is its a bit overly complicated. The resistance feature though is nice.

FLAME FOCUS
Beginning at 18th level, your evocation spells have twice the range. Also, if you have no enemies within a 10 foot radius, you have time to focus your aim, giving you advantage on attack rolls with evocation spells.

PATH OF THE MIND
Arcane Blades who follow the Path of the Mind have honed their minds to be as powerful as possible. For them, their sword is just a tool: their mind is their real weapon.

ARCANE CHANNEL
Beginning at level 3, you may use your bonded weapon as an arcane focus. Your weapon can also perform somatic components of spells as if it were a hand, so you can cast spells with somatic components even when holding a weapon or shield in both hands.

If you are going to give this to all your archetypes it is a cor feature and should be part of the base class otherwise you just give people blue balls when they finally get to pick their archetype.

STUDIOUS
At level 5, you may choose two spells for which you have slots from another class' spell list. You may choose an additional spell at level 10 and one more at level 15.

Aw, I was hoping this was a warrior illusionist, well shucks. I am not fond of abilities that let you take spells from another spell list, in my opinion, it is just asking for trouble.

CONTROLLED CASTING
Beginning at 8th level, you can cast a cantrip as a bonus action instead of an action.

IMPROVED MIND
Beginning at 14th level, you can channel your power through your weapon more effectively than any other class. For a duration equal to 1 + Your Intelligence Modifier minutes, you can cast spells of 3rd level and lower even when you are out of spell slots for that level. Your weapon also deals magical damage for the purpouse of overcoming resistance for the duration. You can do this a number of times equal to half of your Intelligence modifier (rounded up), with a minimum of 1. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Nope,no, not happening, just no. Second parts fine but the first part is a complete and utter NO!

ULTIMATE CASTER
At 18th level, you gain one 6th level spell slot. You also learn one 6th level spell of your choice from the wizard spell list.

This is just not worth it.

On a not I think you should look into the idea if making each archetype, based on a different school of magic and how that school might interact with combat tactics. Otherwise this might as well be an Archetype.

GanonBoar
2015-11-19, 12:33 PM
@Turtlemancer
Each point addresses one of your own, in order.

•Good catch on the hit die, the d8 is from when they were full casters. I'll make it a d10.
•Eh, I just went with Religion just because, if you think History is better than sure, I'll change it.
•What would you like to bring up about the equipment?
•Cantrips known is on the table.
•I mean, maybe. I just like having two weapon fighting as an option.
•Ha,ha, maybe.
•Ok. I just thought it'd be too OP
•All other skills like that make it a bonus action. This doesn't.
•Eh, I like it how it is.
•Really? Level 3 seems a little early, if you consider when Draconic Sorcerer's get their similar ability.
•I like it how it is, but if you really think it needs to be changed, I'll consider it.
•See, Flame Path only lets you use evocation spells like that. Mind Path lets you use any spells, since its a more heavy caster.
•I couldn't think of anything else tbh. If you have a better idea, I'm all ears.
•Yeah, I thought so. Any ideas? I couldn't think of anything else.
•Same as above.

Turtlemancer
2015-11-19, 05:50 PM
Well honestly If you made the path of the mind more strongly revolve around Enchantment and illusion you could build a warrior who uses magic to distract enemies and dominate the battlefield.

But If you want to make them an all around caster type maybe look into some anti-magic features, or features that let them turn an enemies magic against them.

As far as new archetypes. The Illusionist warrior Idea, a Necromancer/Battle-master, Adjuration/TANK!, maybe a teleporting magic jedi?

ruy343
2015-11-20, 03:13 PM
Judging on the above comments, the class probably wasn't balanced when it was first posted, but on a cursory overview, it looks pretty good now.

As long as you keep asking yourself at each stage, "how does this compare to a Paladin of equivalent level?", you should be fine.

You might consider reducing the spell selection of the class to include fewer spells overall, considering that this individual is likely memorizing spells anyway. That will help greatly in reducing/balancing the class's power.

Ivellius
2015-12-01, 04:31 PM
I'm sure it's gotten better from where it was. The 14th level Path features look extremely strong, though. Flame Focus should probably require at least a bonus action to aim. I do like Ultimate Caster, though. Extra Attack should probably be at 5th or 6th level, not 10th. The Paths in general have a lot of the Class Features, so some things should probably be shifted to the base class chassis.

Seriously, it seems like a good quarter of all 5e Homebrew classes are some variety of "Spell Sword", "Sword Mage" or a similar concept under a different name. We aren't consistently seeing "Like a Druid, only done right!", "This is a wizard, done my way!" or "Like a Rogue, but cooler" stuff pop up all the time. That's a red flag about the way that the Arcane Warrior in particular has been treated.

I've seen Shaman as a pretty common Homebrew idea.

Sicarius Victis
2016-08-12, 02:34 AM

>>>

So I'd just like to toss in my opinion here. Wanting a better option than what you have is NOT inherently unbalanced. Look at the Ranger class. Is it inherently unbalanced to want a better Ranger? No, because the official Ranger is badly-made and just plain bad. It's not unbalanced to want a better version of something that's not actually good or well-supported, and gish play-styles in 5e are very much not supported. Look at the options for gish characters. We have the Valor Bard, who's just a caster that can stab people a bit. We have the Bladesinger, who's similar to the Bard but will almost definitely waste just about every available spell slot on trying to survive in the combats that they're supposed to be used in. We have the Paladin, who's actually qquite powerful, but just about all of their spells are buff spells and the new concentration rules render buffs much weaker. And we have the Eldritch Knight, who I admit is still a bit more well-made than the Ranger, but not by much. A 20th-level Eldritch Knight will cast a grand total of 11 spells per day, plus cantrips, and doesn't really have all that much else that they can do.

So yes, while wanting a better one CAN be unbalanced, it is not INHERENTLY unbalanced, and in this case I consider it to be completely reasonable. So I'd suggest thinking about WHY someone would need something better, instead of just jumping straight to "That's totally unbalanced!"

BurchardOfEn
2016-08-12, 04:08 AM
CONTROLLED CASTING

This does not have a qualifier of what else you have to do to make this the case. If this is just allowing a Path of the Mind Arcane Blade to spam two cantrips(which scale) every turn, then this just isn't acceptable for any reasonable play. It's basically an at-will form of "Quicken Cantrip" if that explains why it's completely broken. I'd say add your Intelligence mod to cantrip damage as an appropriate alternative.

IMPROVED MIND

Arcane Blade: "Drat, I'm out of spells; I guess it's time to nova!"
Rest of the Party: "Wait, what?":confused:

I could suggest maybe replacing this with something like the Overchannel feature from the Evocation Wizard. Aside from that, I don't really know what could be done for this one.

sephorth
2016-08-16, 02:31 PM
Love it. Can't wait to try