PDA

View Full Version : [Character Creation] Cyberpunk Avatar

RFLS
2015-11-07, 03:21 PM
Here's where we'll do the character generation for this game. Players are Lord Raziere, LoP, Space Lawyer, and AmberVael. To start with, everyone needs to post once, and only once, in this thread with their character name, high concept, and trouble. After that, I'll post with what's needed for the next phase.

Characters

Player: Lord Raziere

Character: Raita Kaminari
High Concept: Lightning-Bending Street Hacker
Trouble: Stands Out
Aspect: Corporate Distrust

Player: LoP

Character: Dorje, a.k.a "DJ"
High Concept: Hedonistic, Thrill Seeking Soundbender
Trouble: Disillusioned Air Temple Trust-Fund Baby
Aspect: Corporate Saboteur

Player: Space Lawyer

Character: Anik Silaluk
High Concept: Waterbender Street Doc and 'Ware Dealer
Trouble: Shady Clientele
Aspect: Precision Trumps Power

Player: AmberVael

Character: Ava Singh
High Concept: Popular Model/Underground Brawler
Trouble: Made a Name For Herself (Twice)
Aspect: Razor Sharp Glassbender

Lord Raziere
2015-11-07, 04:18 PM
Name: Raita Kaminari
High Concept Aspect: Lightning-Bending Street Hacker

(why? because while a Lightning bender hacker who has a very unusual talent for using lightning more than fire may be memorable....the fact that its memorable is kind of a weakness in a cyberpunk world because your more easily identified.)

LoP
2015-11-07, 05:11 PM
I think I'm gonna retool my character idea a little, keep it a bit tighter.

http://i.imgur.com/JPFN2K9l.jpg

Name: Dorje, aka "DJ"
High Concept: Hedonistic, Thrill-Seeking Soundbender
Trouble: Disillusioned Air Temple Trust Fund Baby

(I'll probably offload some of these aspect descriptions onto later "other character" aspects for elegance's sake)

Space Lawyer
2015-11-07, 06:55 PM
Name: Anik Silaluk
Concept: Waterbender Street Doc and 'Ware Dealer
Trouble: Shady Clientele

Precision Trumps Power

Anik is a tall man, whipcord lean with a severe face. His dark skin indicates Water Tribe ancestry and substantial period of time spent outdoors. His eyes are deep blue and hidden behind glasses. He keeps his white-blonde hair cropped short. For clothing, he is usually wearing a tailored and armored suit under a labcoat.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/noblesse/images/2/2b/Yuriy02.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120316083827

Anik is calm, cool, and collected. He likes to take time to think through things, and hates being rushed. He is a bit of a neat freak, a useful trait in a street doctor, and extremely punctual. For all of this, he is rather lazy. He would much rather drink tea, tend to his greenhouse, and play pai sho than do most anything. He considers his waterbending to be a way to exercise and clear his mind. He likes to think of himself as a schemer and plotter, and can be patient and cunning for a time, but isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is. He is simply too fond of taking the easy route to things.

Great Fight
Good Lore
Good Craft
Fair Shoot
Fair Athletics
Fair Contacts
Average Will
Average Physique
Average Empathy
Average Resources

Doctor
Surgeon (Enhancements)
Chi Blocking Strikes
Friends in Dark Places
High-quality Workspace

Anik was closing up shop when a few gentlemen walked in. You know the type - large, angry fellows who seem to think that punching the world will make it give up whatever it denied them. Anyway, they tried to threaten Anik into doing some work on one of them for free. It seemed a shiny batch of military-grade cybereyes had fallen off the back of a truck, and one of the men wanted to upgrade. Anik coolly replied that he didn't do work for free, but that the men were free to pay in cash or in parts. They didn't take kindly to that, and scattered a few documents on the desk that Anik had just finished organizing. Anik in turn didn't take kindly to that. A few quick strikes, and the large men were piles of muscley pudding, their chi blocked. Moreover, certain parts were starting to turn frightful shades of red and purple as blood started going the wrong way and not flowing at all. The men did get operated on after all, and Anik did get paid. Just by clients who were happy to have some second-hand ware.

Precision Trumps Power

Friends in Dark Places
Center of the Web
Speak softly and carry a big stick
Knowledge is my shield/the great equalizer
Machinations within plots within schemes
Put the pieces together
Deliberate and methodical
Spiritual heritage, spirit bending
Water can wear down anything, eventually

AmberVael
2015-11-08, 12:34 AM
Character concept is very vague at the moment, but it will be in this post.

Earthbender, with a glass specialty. Maybe a street samurai type- fighty, a focus on short range combat, probably gets into illegal/underground fighting scenes.

Name: Ava Singh
High Concept: Popular Model, Underground Brawler
Trouble: Made A Name For Herself (Twice)

Edit: Okay, edited in basic aspects for my character. I'm thinking Ava is a very well known model (if not by name, then by face) who somehow got sucked into illegal brawling and fighting... and ended up loving it. She fights in some high tech, custom gear that doesn't give away her real identity, but is distinctive enough that combined with her skills she's made a name for herself there too. So she has two separate identities and neither of them are low profile in the slightest, and its ending up difficult to juggle.

Space Lawyer
2015-11-08, 12:38 AM
If you're going earthbender, AmberVael, then I think it might be best for me to change to waterbender. That way we cover all of the elements, and I can be (culturally) better at healing.

RFLS
2015-11-09, 06:03 PM
Alright, onto the next step. You'll follow this method for generating your first of three aspects:

The first phase is your character’s first true adventure—his first book, episode, case, movie, whatever—starring him. You need to think up and write down the basic details of this story for the phase’s summary. The story doesn’t need to have a lot of detail—in fact, a pair of sentences works pretty well—because your fellow players will add in their own details to this past adventure in the next two phases (as you will to theirs).

If you find yourself stuck, look to your character’s high concept and trouble. Find a dilemma that has a chance of throwing those ideas into focus. What problem do you get roped into because of your high concept or trouble? How does the other aspect help or complicate your life? Ask yourself the following story questions. If you have trouble answering them, talk to the other players and the GM for help.

Something bad happened. What was it? Did it happen to you, to someone you cared about, or to someone that you were coerced into helping?
What did you decide to do about the problem? What goal did you pursue?
Who stood against you? Did you expect the opposition you got? Did some of it come out of nowhere?
Did you win? Did you lose? Either way, what consequences arose from the outcome?

Once you’ve come up with the adventure, write an aspect that relates to some part of what happened.

A note on timing: Because two other characters will be involved in the following phases, this adventure needs to be something that isn’t so early in your character’s life that he hasn’t met the other protagonists yet. If one of you has decided that you recently showed up in the story, then the adventures involving that person happened recently. If some of you have been friends (or old rivals!) for a long time, then those adventures can take place further in the past. Your best bet is to not make these adventures specific in time; you can figure out that part once you know who’s involved in your story.

Again, do these in any order, but post only once per person before my next post. Also, I've edited the original post to reflect the characters as they are. The only change I've made is adding "(Twice)" to AmberVael's trouble, to reflect that both of her personas are high profile.

Space Lawyer
2015-11-11, 04:27 AM
Ok, this is the best I've been able to come up with so far:

Anik was closing up shop when a few gentlemen walked in. You know the type - large, angry fellows who seem to think that punching the world will make it give up whatever it denied them. Anyway, they tried to threaten Anik into doing some work on one of them for free. It seemed a shiny batch of military-grade cybereyes had fallen off the back of a truck, and one of the men wanted to upgrade. Anik coolly replied that he didn't do work for free, but that the men were free to pay in cash or in parts. They didn't take kindly to that, and scattered a few documents on the desk that Anik had just finished organizing. Anik in turn didn't take kindly to that. A few quick strikes, and the large men were piles of muscley pudding, their chi blocked. Moreover, certain parts were starting to turn frightful shades of red and purple as blood started going the wrong way and not flowing at all. The men did get operated on after all, and Anik did get paid. Just by clients who were happy to have some second-hand ware.

RFLS
2015-11-11, 03:14 PM
Ok, this is the best I've been able to come up with so far:

Looks good to me. What's the aspect you'll be taking away from that?

LoP
2015-11-11, 04:42 PM
Ok, let's do this.

The "philanthropic" Air Temple packages and sells a life-coaching program called Winds of Freedom, usually called WindFree. For a monthly fee, the truly down and out explore their moral and material shortcomings so they can make appropriate life changes and embrace "the freedom entitled to everyone" - which culminates in becoming a novice Air Acolyte... for an additional fee of course. Once an Air Acolyte, the Air Temple promises further enlightenment through complete devotion, eventually allowing even the most humble of mundanes the opportunity to reach personal nirvana, learn to unlock their inner bender, and join the Air Temple proper.

Its, of course, a pyramid scheme; its hinted that the easiest track to advancement into the cushy corporate halls of the Air Temple is to sell WindFree memberships to family and friends. And most WindFree meetings involve crushing, scathing critiques of members' personal failings, and then uplifting stories of the few WindFree members who ascended and became airbenders, living lives of either spiritual wholeness or material wish fulfillment; the Air Temple caters to all needs.

One of DJ's first acts of rebellion, once he was legally and financially secure in his trust fund, was to leverage those resources in hiring a team to infiltrate the Air Temple, access files on the "Ascended," the few successful alumni of the WindFree program who were now supposedly airbenders, and release them to the Ether for all to see.

The files showed that most of the mundanes-turned-airbenders were in fact always airbenders born into the Temple; others, like the celebrities that became associated with WindFree and made the lifestyle seem glamorous (to the poor) or spiritually righteous (to the already glamorous), were given fake airbending powers via special effects sensies or even simple cyberware. The most damaging reveal was that world famous action sensie star, Tam Cruzu, well known for his bizarre and crazy behavior even before becoming the celebrity icon for the Air Temple, had been dupe dinto thinking he actually had bending abilities, and was just always surrounded by gaslighting sycophants who faked "amazement" at his "gusts of wind" - usually generated by actual airbenders among his entourage.

The Air Temple was quick to squelch the info or spin it, so the damage was minimal; but it gave DJ a taste for corporate sabotage.

Aspect wise, I'm not sure yet... maybe "I Know a Guy..." or Corporate Saboteur or even Loved and Hated by the Celebrity Crowd​ or something.

Lord Raziere
2015-11-11, 05:56 PM
Raita....first adventure....

One of her first jobs as a hacker was to steal blueprints for a new kind of cyberware from a corps rival, it seemed good money and she had all the skills to do it, so she got in, she use her lightning bending to disable the locks, to mess with the cameras, to bend laser trip-wires out of her way, only to find out that the blueprints were fake and that it was all a trap set by the rival corps to catch any hired agents of the first company to try and take their stuff, and thus things got hectic and she had to fight and run her way out to make sure she survived. Now she knows that the corporations manipulations are full of layers and tend not to trust anyone giving her a job fully. Even someone with her talents were expendable to some people.

so I'd say....for this aspect....Corporate Distrust.

Space Lawyer
2015-11-11, 06:25 PM
Looks good to me. What's the aspect you'll be taking away from that?

Precision Trumps Power could be a good one, and it is a classic. Good reference to hitting at weak points like chi flows and the circulatory system rather than just pummeling the enemy. Chi and Blood Both Flow would also work, referencing the waterbender-based nature of his combat style.

RFLS
2015-11-11, 06:44 PM
Aspect wise, I'm not sure yet... maybe "I Know a Guy..." or Corporate Saboteur or even Loved and Hated by the Celebrity Crowd​ or something.

I like Corporate Saboteur, seems like it fits the game pretty well. I Know a Guy is basically the Contacts skill, though, so maybe shy away from that one.

Precision Trumps Power could be a good one, and it is a classic. Good reference to hitting at weak points like chi flows and the circulatory system rather than just pummeling the enemy. Chi and Blood Both Flow would also work, referencing the waterbender-based nature of his combat style.

I think Precision Trumps Power really fits that story, and I'm not really sure how invoking/compelling the second one would come up very often.

AmberVael
2015-11-11, 08:01 PM
Singh's sudden appearance into the underground fighting scene and quick rise towards the top has upset and concerned a number of people, some of whom have tried to displace her or sending her packing. Lately someone has been stepping up their attempts, and Singh has found herself harried by a variety of people trying to take her out of the picture. The last attack became an all out fight in an alleyway between Ava and four others, which she only won with a vicious hail of glass shards pulled from the surrounding buildings. She still doesn't know who is after her, but plans to find out.

Aspect: Razor Sharp Glassbender

Space Lawyer
2015-11-14, 07:37 PM
Knock-knock. Are we still doing this?

LoP
2015-11-14, 09:22 PM
Who's there? I am!

RFLS
2015-11-15, 06:47 AM
Who's there? I am!

Me too!

Okay, here's the next step. Each of you will write a complication of one of the other's stories. You'll involve your character in one way or another, and use that involvement to give your character another aspect. Space Lawyer will complicate LoP's, LoP will complicate Lord Razier's, Lord Razier will complicate AmberVael's, and Ambervael will complicate Space Lawyer's.

Sound good?

Lord Raziere
2015-11-15, 08:25 PM
um.....as someone who has done Fate games before, this...isn't actually necessary to make the aspects. its just advice. I find it goes a lot faster and better if we just define the other three aspects ourselves then get to skills and stunts. fate is just a toolkit, and if one of the tools ain't working, don't use it. if we get bogged down with this kind of thing, we might have people lose interest.

RFLS
2015-11-17, 11:41 PM
Hmm....fair enough. Alright. Everyone go ahead and post your other two aspects.

Lord Raziere
2015-11-18, 02:40 AM
Name: Raita Kaminari
High Concept Aspect: Lightning-Bending Street Hacker
Corporate Distrust
DIY Electronic Gear
"I love the thrill of taking a risk."

AmberVael
2015-11-22, 07:55 PM
Argh. Sorry for my slowness, guys. I've had a lot of distractions, and honestly they seem to be piling up rather than reducing. I don't think I can actually take another game right now, so I'm going to step out. Sorry for any inconvenience.