PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Campaign Mini-Boss: Grand Lake Elemental

Korasyl
2015-11-07, 03:26 PM
Hello, again. ^-^ Korasyl here, with a small problem at hand.

I need to design a Mini-Boss for the upcoming campaign I'm running, and I need some criticism to make it perfect.

Here's what I have so far:

Krenkozu
Gargantuan Elemental, Neutral

-------------------------------------------

Armor Class 19
Hit Points 230 (22d12 +110)
Speed 50 ft.

STR
30 (+10)

DEX
28 (+9)

CON
21 (+5)

INT
16 (+3)

WIS
24 (+7)

CHA
16 (+3)

Damage Resistances Fire
Damage Immunities Poison; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing
from Non-Magical Weapons
Condition Immunities Exhaustion, Grappled, Paralyzed,
Poisoned, Restrained, Prone, Unconscious
Senses Truesight 120 ft., Passive Perception 17
Languages Common, Aquan, Telepathy up to 90 ft.
Challenge 15 (13,000 XP)

Regeneration. Krenkozu regains 20 Hit Points at the start
of its turn, as long as it has at least 1 Hit Point, and its aquifer
is not cut off.
If Krenkozu takes Cold Damage, or is Petrified, this trait does not
work next turn.

Spellcasting. Krenkozu is a 5th Level Spellcaster. Its
Spellcasting Ability is Wisdom, with a Spell Save DC of 17.
(10 + WIS Modifier)

Cantrips: Ray of Frost, Shape Water, Mage Hand
1st-Level (4 Slots): Fog Cloud, Magic Missile
2nd-Level (3 Slots): Phantasmal Force, Gentle Repose
3rd-Level (2 Slots): Dispel Magic

Splitting. When Krenkozu loses 1/2 of its Max Hit Points, it will split
into two Huge Size category versions of itself. These versions do not regain
any expended spell slots, their remaining spell slots are equal to half of
Krenkozu's remaining spell slots, and their Max Hit Points is equal to half of
Krenkozu's remaining Hit Points when it splits. When a Huge Version of
Krenkozu loses 1/2 of its Max Hit Points, it will split into two Large Size
category versions of itself. These versions do not regain any expended spell
slots, their remaining spell slots are equal to half of the Huge versions remaining
spell slots, and their Max Hit Points is equal to half of the Huge Versions remaining
Hit Points when it splits.

Actions
Multiattack. Krenkozu makes two Constrict Attacks.

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 120 ft., one creature.
Hit: 23 (4d6 + 10) Bludgeoning Damage. If the target is Large or smaller,
it is grappled (escape DC 14) and pulled 20 feet towards Krenkozu. Until this grapple
ends, the target is restrained, Krenkozu tries to drown it, and Krenkozu can restrict
another creature, to a max of three.

What do you guys think? :D

JNAProductions
2015-11-07, 03:31 PM
Right, issue number one: This thing is CR 22 and the campaign is starting at level 1.

Outside that, I'm away from my books, so can't tell if it's appropiate at CR 22 or not.

Korasyl
2015-11-07, 03:33 PM
Right, issue number one: This thing is CR 22 and the campaign is starting at level 1.

Outside that, I'm away from my books, so can't tell if it's appropiate at CR 22 or not.

It's not like you guys are fighting it right off the bat. XD I told you~
This campaign will be Long and Hard.
You guys will reach level 8 before you reach this bad (not really) boy. :P

JNAProductions
2015-11-07, 03:35 PM
Oh, another issue-each time it splits, it doubles its remaining spell slots. Specifiy that upon splitting each half only gets half the remaining slots.

Korasyl
2015-11-07, 03:36 PM
Oh, another issue-each time it splits, it doubles its remaining spell slots. Specifiy that upon splitting each half only gets half the remaining slots.

Well, damn, I did not see that. o - o Thank you for pointing that out. ^-^
EDIT: Tis done~

2015-11-07, 04:13 PM
What do you guys think? :D

I think it's going to make for a very amusing fight at 8th level, considering how over-CR'd it is for its speed.

EDIT: 7 round kill for a party playing it smart...assuming they haven't completely screwed themselves over for this kind of fight.

Korasyl
2015-11-08, 01:31 AM
I think it's going to make for a very amusing fight at 8th level, considering how over-CR'd it is for its speed.

EDIT: 7 round kill for a party playing it smart...assuming they haven't completely screwed themselves over for this kind of fight.

So.. It's CR is way too high for its actual challenge? o - o I had a feeling 22 is too much. XD

Flashy
2015-11-08, 02:02 AM
So.. It's CR is way too high for its actual challenge? o - o I had a feeling 22 is too much. XD

According to the DMG it's approximately CR 13. Defensive CR is 15 (adjusted HP of a CR 15 monster, AC close enough to CR 15 not to change things), Offensive CR is 10 (DPR of a CR 7, high to hit bonus jacks it up three steps to CR 10). Average of offensive and defensive CR rounded up is CR 13.

The DMG has no suggestions for how to account for immobility with no at will ranged attacks, however. Personally I'd halve the hit point total when determining defensive CR, which sets the creature firmly at CR 10. This feels about right to me. The Splitting ability doesn't affect total number of hit points so I didn't factor it into the CR.

Korasyl
2015-11-08, 01:36 PM
According to the DMG it's approximately CR 13. Defensive CR is 15 (adjusted HP of a CR 15 monster, AC close enough to CR 15 not to change things), Offensive CR is 10 (DPR of a CR 7, high to hit bonus jacks it up three steps to CR 10). Average of offensive and defensive CR rounded up is CR 13.

The DMG has no suggestions for how to account for immobility with no at will ranged attacks, however. Personally I'd halve the hit point total when determining defensive CR, which sets the creature firmly at CR 10. This feels about right to me. The Splitting ability doesn't affect total number of hit points so I didn't factor it into the CR.

Alright. ^-^ Thank you for this information, Flashy.
Though, I do have another question for you:

Ideally, this Water Elemental is supposed to be THE lake itself, which is why I granted it no movement speed.
I have to ask: Should it be able to move? And it probably does need an at will ranged attack, doesn't it?

JNAProductions
2015-11-08, 01:38 PM

The splitting ability damn well affects its CR-offensively. It doubles, then quadruples its attacks.

2015-11-08, 01:56 PM
I have to ask: Should it be able to move? And it probably does need an at will ranged attack, doesn't it?

As of right now, it has 120 ft reach, so the only issue is that two level one characters (one Human Fighter with Sharpshooter and a magic bow, and one Human Sorcerer with Spell Sniper) can eventually kill this thing from just out of reach, as long as they've got enough arrows.

Korasyl
2015-11-08, 02:05 PM
As of right now, it has 120 ft reach, so the only issue is that two level one characters (one Human Fighter with Sharpshooter and a magic bow, and one Human Sorcerer with Spell Sniper) can eventually kill this thing from just out of reach, as long as they've got enough arrows.

That is true, since a single Fighter wielding a Longbow (Let's say, average damage of 6 without DEX Mod) could kill it with 38 arrows, if he/she hit every single time.

So the question remains..
Should I make this creature stronger? It IS supposed to be a mini-boss...

Flashy
2015-11-08, 02:23 PM
The splitting ability damn well affects its CR-offensively. It doubles, then quadruples its attacks.

My thinking was that since it still can't move the additional rays of frost still aren't beating the 46 dpr of the melee attack I was using in the first place, but your point is more than fair. If I were going to factor it in I'd probably treat the average dpr over three rounds as doubling in each progressive round. Factored in that's a CR 18 offensive rating, for CR 17 if you ignore that it can't move or CR 14 using my rough estimate of what immobile does to the defensive CR.

Korasyl
2015-11-08, 03:01 PM
My thinking was that since it still can't move the additional rays of frost still aren't beating the 46 dpr of the melee attack I was using in the first place, but your point is more than fair. If I were going to factor it in I'd probably treat the average dpr over three rounds as doubling in each progressive round. Factored in that's a CR 18 offensive rating, for CR 17 if you ignore that it can't move or CR 14 using my rough estimate of what immobile does to the defensive CR.

I've gone ahead and given it a movement speed of 50 ft. However, it still may not wish to move from it's original place, due to it's ability to regen health. (Which I'll probably increase to 15 or 20) I would give it a Swim Speed of 100 ft., but that would only be if it can get to a body of water bigger than it. :P

I'm also thinking of giving it a ranged attack, similar to a projectile attack. Thoughts?

Kempest
2016-03-05, 05:18 PM
are you kidding? this imba crazy bossmob and CR 14?

we fought this joke and its not funny :(

why do you make such imba homebrew stuff, not comparable or balanced with Monster Manual Stuff?