PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for the popup preview!

Scientivore
2007-05-28, 10:57 PM
I love the popup preview of thread contents. It's saved me more than once from even clicking on a thread with an ambiguous title. I don't just mean topics that are uninteresting to me -- I mean flaming and/or trolling that I'm better off avoiding since I'm only human after all.

I figure you guys get a kind of skewed ratio of negative-to-positive here since people generally don't talk about how well stuff works when it's working well, they just use it. So, here's my thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Catch
2007-05-29, 12:11 AM
P-positive commentary in the Site Issues forum?

What is this world coming to?

Scientivore
2007-05-29, 01:14 AM
P-positive commentary in the Site Issues forum?

What is this world coming to?

Hopefully a trend! I posted here about a month ago on how I love the "Go to first new post" button.

Personally, I'm powered mostly by coffee, sunlight and praise. I can't give them any coffee or sunlight but I figure that it sure can't hurt to add a little positivity here and there, and who knows? it might even help. :smallwink:

Rawhide
2007-05-29, 01:28 AM
Pity it might be short lived. That's probably the next feature to go if required.

J_Muller
2007-05-29, 06:10 PM
As it appears to have at this point...

Pity. That was a nice feature.

Scientivore
2007-05-29, 09:29 PM
Pity it might be short lived. That's probably the next feature to go if required.

Well. That was...brief. Boop.

Umm. I love...the boards being up! Yes. Thanks for doing what you can to keep the boards up.

EmeraldRose
2007-05-29, 09:50 PM
I....don't think I even got to see this feature! :smallfrown: Oh well...

Nevrmore
2007-05-29, 10:39 PM
Would it be cynical of me to assume that you are just systematically destroying everything we praise on this forum. Is that it?! I'm onto your schemes!

*cradles the last features he cherishes in his arms as he rocks back and forth singing Lullaby Baby*

Demented
2007-05-29, 11:22 PM
Would it be cynical of me to assume that you are just systematically destroying everything we praise on this forum. Is that it?! I'm onto your schemes!

*cradles the last features he cherishes in his arms as he rocks back and forth singing Lullaby Baby*

Shhh! If you don't mention it, they won't know it's there!

faerwain
2007-05-30, 02:33 AM
If they are smart, people with infractions should soon start to post here.

"Oh, how I love my infraction points! It's soo great to have them around!"

Castaras
2007-05-30, 02:54 AM
If they are smart, people with infractions should soon start to post here.

"Oh, how I love my infraction points! It's soo great to have them around!"

:smallbiggrin:

That would be funny.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-05-30, 06:43 AM
I love my infraction points! It gives me something to look at in the little box below my avatar! The more stuff the better I say!

Well, I did it. Now, who's paying me for doing this? Anyone? *looks around*

ufo
2007-05-30, 07:47 AM
The Post Reply button takes helluva bandwidth, so now, we're conversing in thread names!:smallbiggrin:

Demented
2007-05-30, 06:23 PM
And on that note, I hate smileys! And I hate avatars. And I absolutely despise signatures.
Oh, but those forum rules? I love those. I look at them seven times every day just to see if a new one has popped up, and eight times on weekends! I've got them bookmarked, homepaged, and even subscribed to. :smallbiggrin:
But seriously now.
Since we can't preview threads anymore, think we could chalk up a new rule that says your thread title must be descriptive? I can only open up so many threads called "I have a question" at a single time. :smallannoyed:

(How many use that quick links thing, btw?)

Raistlin1040
2007-05-30, 06:26 PM
I feel empty. All my nice features are gone! I wish we could donate to this site to increase bandwidth, because I'd donate. I miss multiquote, quick reply, and polls.

DreadArchon
2007-06-01, 02:10 PM
No, that can't be it.

On a completely unrelated note, I absolutely love the huge table section with a site menu that appears to the left of the forums. Waiting for it to load with each successive page is a joy and I sincerely hope that it never goes anywhere. :smallwink:

Demented
2007-06-01, 04:23 PM
Thought I'd try calculating out how much each feature actually uses...
Naturally, by counting the letters used in the page source. (Thank goodness for counting programs.) Listed are mostly items that looked less than totally essential, and were composed of a healthy amount of letters...

Metanames: 324 letters

Pagenav Popup (Whatever that is): 597 letters

Global Announcement Message: 637 letters

Nav Buttons Bar: 1213 letters

Navbar Popup Menu (Quicksearch): 1337 letters

Navbar Popup Menu (Quicklinks): 1461 letters

Sidebar Site Menu (A.k.a. Ray's Code): 3705 letters

End of Ray's Code: 108 letters

Stylesheet: 4960 (!)

Total: 14342 (!!)

The entire sample page (content was a brief vbulletin message): 20499

Of course, the most effective method would be to reduce features until people stop coming to the forum. Then the features can be turned back on and the few die-hards remaining can live in bandwidth-hogging freedom!

Mysticaloctopus
2007-06-03, 06:17 PM
Any FireFox users out there (Seeing as this is GitP, I guess enough of us are geeks for that to mean "80% of the userbase") could use the Cooliris Preview extension to duplicate this functionality across the entire interweb.

Edit: Counting letters in a function won't determine how much processor power it uses compared to others, as one hundred lines would not be much compared to a "For n = 1 to 1000" loop containing three lines, and if something is half the size but gets used four times as much, it still uses twice the system resources.
Still, nice idea there. Perhaps if The Giant just arranged for a ninja clan to abduct the servers, which he has just a week before insured for a massive sum against ninja revenge-kidnappings...

Demented
2007-06-03, 06:50 PM
I am well aware it has a very insignificant representation of the processing requirements. I was mainly doing it for bandwidth consideration. And that's not total either... Mostly it's just a measurement of the text only features that are sent over.

Some, like the little "posting rules" tablet near the bottom of the page, don't even show up that way.

Dr._Weird
2007-06-03, 06:51 PM
Of course, the most effective method would be to reduce features until people stop coming to the forum. Then the features can be turned back on and the few die-hards remaining can live in bandwidth-hogging freedom!

Oh man, that's so... so evil... you're horrible.

Mysticaloctopus
2007-06-03, 07:09 PM
*facepalm* I hadn't thought about what's being sent to us and bandwidth.

I'll just be over here in the corner, being embarrassed.

May I contribute to the "reduce forum until it ceases to work" idea?
Do what was done to a certain part of a certain imageboard - make the default style a flat colour. That way, only users who figure out changing styles (and use firefox) can continue posting unhindered, while those who clearly do not deserve such an awesome forum sit there thinking "Why is it broken?" and consume next to no bandwidth.