PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming for steampunk/clockpunk gadgets

D-naras
2015-11-07, 07:20 PM
Hey everyone. I have layed out the basic framework for a gadgeteering splat for my game and now I need some help fleshing it out.

The basic idea is that there are wacky gadgets that everyone can use but only gadgeteer characters can really exploit. The gadgets come in 3 kinds:

Enhancing gadgets that are attached to existing objects and enhance an existing property of the item.
Altering gadgets that are attached to existing objects and grant an entirely new property or radically alter an existing property.
Stand-alone gadgets. These are the usual nutty gadgets found in stories like girl genius. Flame-throwers, flashlights, gliding capes and such.

Standalone gadgets are easy to brew for but I really need help coming up with new ideas for enhancing and altering gadgets. As of now I have come up with the following:

Enhancing: Accelerator (causes things to go faster), Animator (causes the object to perform simple motions), Amplifier (causes the object to exert more force), Fine-ator and Exquisitizer (causes objects to function as objects of better quality).
Altering: Reverser (causes objects to move in reverse), Folder (causes objects to be foldable to hald size for easier carrying).

I would like you to share any wacky gizmos and gadgets you think might fit these criteria. I don't really care for plausible science so go wild. The setting they will be used in is one very reminiscent of 1800s Europe if it matters, so cannons and guns are fair game. Of course, feel free to use my ideas as well.

Debihuman
2015-11-09, 05:30 AM
Which edition?

Bladewing2013
2015-11-09, 09:11 AM
Not sure what category this would be but, because you said steam-punk, I'm thinking you should have a flying gadget. :smallbiggrin:

D-naras
2015-11-10, 05:34 AM
The system doesn't really matter since it's homebrew and most importantly, I'd like for this thread to be system agnostic so anyone can use it.

Debihuman
2015-11-10, 07:16 AM
Normally, I only make things for 3.5 (and some Pathfinder) because those are the systems that I know. If you are looking for something else, I'm probably not the right person to help so I'll just bow out as gracefully as I can. Good luck.

brian 333
2015-11-10, 08:39 AM
Iron Horse

This steampunk item requires copious quantities of water and some combustible material such as wood, charcoal, or coal. So long as it maintains a 'hot' furnace it will operate. It can be instructed to 'eat' a 4 hour supply of wood, an 8 hour supply of charcoal, or a 16 hour supply of coal. Such a 'meal' is about 4 cubic feet in volume. In addition, it must consume a gallon of water per hour of normal activity, or twice that for heavy work, (such as carrying a knight into battle.) It's water reservoir is limited to 4 hours of heavy work, or 8 hours of normal work, after which it must 'drink' more. If it's fuel or water is ever completely depleted, the Iron Horse is rendered immobile until it can be replenished. Starting a cold Iron Horse requires at least one hour, (but this does not count toward fuel and water consumption.) A clever wizard may make use of pyromancy spells to start the horse faster, but I'd rather be somewhere I can watch but not participate in the results!

Clockwork Soldiers

These tiny, (1' tall) soldiers appear to be children's toys, dressed and equipped like troops native to the land in which they were constructed. When wound up they can be activated and they will obey 'military' orders from the one who triggered them into activity. They can march, attack, retreat, guard, and otherwise maneuver like real combat troops for up to ten minutes, but if instructed to 'do the dishes' or some other non-combat related activity they simply remain idle. They are typically constructed of wood, (AC 15, 3 HP,) or tin, (AC 18, 6 HP) and their weaponry inflicts 1D3 points of damage regardless of its appearance. (A Clockwork Soldier bearing a greatsword does the same damage as one bearing a shortsword.) They attack as if they were masterwork weapons, but gain no BAB due to level. If ranged weapons are used, a supply of ammunition must be available and suitable for the soldier's use. Attempting to use regular arrows, for example, will not work. The ammunition must be specifically manufactured for the Clockwork Soldiers' use, and sized appropriately for the weapons they bear.

Clockwork Spy-der

What appears to be a wind-up timepiece worn on a band about the wrist is actually a complicated gadget that is extremely useful for those who wish to observe a scene unobtrusively. The dial of this wristband is a crystal lens which, when opened, releases a fine size mechanical 'spider' which has a single small lens for its 'eye'. This Spy-der may travel a total of 200 yards before its spring winds down. The wearer of the wristband can see what the Spy-der sees in the lens of the wristband, and can hear the sounds the Spy-der hears as reproduced in a tinny tone by the wristband. The wristband is also the control unit of the item, allowing the wearer to direct the movements of the Spy-der as it crawls along surfaces, climbs walls, and scrambles along ceilings at a 10'/round movement rate. Since the Spy-der must be re-wound to function, any cumulative movement exceeding it's maximum travel distance renders the Spy-der inoperative, and it cannot transmit images or sounds to the wristband. Any successful attack on the Spy-der, (including area-of-effect attacks which do not target it specifically,) completely destroys it.

Dragon Ship

This longboat is designed to appear to be a swimming dragon, with overlapping steel or wooden scales to provide armor and a vicious head wreathed in smoke and shooting sparks from its mouth. The Dragon Ship requires copious amounts of fuel to power its banks of oars along each side, which operate without the need for oarsmen. It is fast and nimble compared to most ships, and it has a reinforced ram at its prow. Additionally, it can spew forth a gout of flame from the dragon head in a 30 foot cone. This flame automatically ignites combustible material such as cloth sails and wooden hulls. The complete lack of any provisions for a sail or for oarsmen limits this ship's usefulness on long-range missions unless significant portions of its meager cargo capacity are used for fuel.

Elevator Shoes

What appears to be oversized footwear are actually useful mechanical devices which can increase the height of the wearer from a few inches to several feet. A clever disguise artist can conceal the fact that these shoes are anything unusual, allowing a person to appear taller. It can also allow the party's halfling to reach the cookie jar on the top shelf. Expanding like scissor-tongs, these shoes can elevate to various maximum heights depending upon the needs of the maker. With practice, these spring-operated devices can be used to improve the wearer's ability to jump, but a critical failure result indicated the shoes experienced a mechanical failure and require repair before further use is possible.