PDA

View Full Version : [Psionics] Deja Vu on Friendlies?

vartan
2015-11-07, 09:18 PM
I just noticed this power. Can it be used on friendlies like a 3.5 version of the 4.0 Warlord's Commander Strike or whatever?

MesiDoomstalker
2015-11-07, 11:58 PM
No. The effect forces them to repeat their last action, not to repeat it immediately, out of turn. You'd essentially be locking your allies' action into a repeat of the last one.

elonin
2015-11-08, 12:01 AM
That didn't really answer the question. You answered the question if it would be helpful to the group. I might use that on friendlies for laughs.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-11-08, 12:07 AM
I did answer your question. You asked if it is similar to 4e's Warlord's Commander's Strike. The answer is no. That maneuver lets an ally do an action out of turn. Deja Vu does not do this. You can use it on an ally, and piss them off by forcing them to repeat their turn. It doesn't bypass initiative count, nor grant extra actions. It only forces repetition of the last action. If that's not your question, then you need to rephrase, because that is the question your asking.

StreamOfTheSky
2015-11-08, 03:28 PM
You could, but it seems pointless. Using it on enemies means forcing someone who you have no influence over to do something. With your allies....you could presumably just ask them to do the action again and they would.

It would not give them another use of a daily resource they just expended. Nor would it bypass the cooldown time of stuff like breath weapons.

So the only real use I could see is in a party that doesn't get along very well, to the point that you feel the need to *make* them do what you want. Or if you're just role-playing a jerk. In those cases, it's just like a poor man's psionic domination. Sure, you can do it. But...why have things deteriorated that far?

nijineko
2015-11-08, 07:09 PM
the power says 'one creature' as the valid target. it does not specify enemy or ally. so as long as it is a creature and it is one, you can target it.

make sure you time it with someone saying, "you can say that again". ^^

Rubik
2015-11-08, 07:46 PM
Just think about what happens to a metamind who manifests Temporal Reiteration and Deja Vu on himself (and voluntarily fails his save) while under the effect of Font of Power.

Necroticplague
2015-11-08, 08:47 PM
Just think about what happens to a metamind who manifests Temporal Reiteration and Deja Vu on himself (and voluntarily fails his save) while under the effect of Font of Power.

All's well and good until he comes down with Cascade Fever.

Rubik
2015-11-08, 08:51 PM
So, are the effects of Deja Vu repeated as objective or subjective from the target's point of view? Is it, "Target charges the enemy kobold wizard" or is it, "target runs west 40', makes an attack against whatever's in that space"?

Necroticplague
2015-11-08, 09:05 PM
So, are the effects of Deja Vu repeated as objective or subjective from the target's point of view? Is it, "Target charges the enemy kobold wizard" or is it, "target runs west 40', makes an attack against whatever's in that space"?

Give, the lack or rules for facing, I have to believe the latter (in the first sentence, the former in the second).

Rubik
2015-11-08, 09:07 PM
Give, the lack or rules for facing, I have to believe the latter (in the first sentence, the former in the second).Facing there may not be, but directions are still extant.

vartan
2015-11-08, 09:15 PM
Yeah I failed to notice the duration line on the power'supply description until after I posted this. Thanks though.

Segev
2015-11-09, 01:40 PM
The only use I can see for using deja vu on an ally would be if that ally were under an effect which prevents him from acting in the best interests of the party, but had just done something useful.

e.g. if your ally had just attacked the sorceress, then she charmed him, you could use deja vu to force him to attack her again.

elonin
2015-11-09, 04:24 PM
I'm wondering what the devs thought it would be used for. That might be pointless cause some of the more broken effects are due to devs misunderstanding how some of us would use spells beyond what was intended.

Maybe it could be used to create a socially awkward situation if the caster isn't part of the conversation and can cast it without being obvious.

Segev
2015-11-09, 04:29 PM
I'm wondering what the devs thought it would be used for. That might be pointless cause some of the more broken effects are due to devs misunderstanding how some of us would use spells beyond what was intended.

Maybe it could be used to create a socially awkward situation if the caster isn't part of the conversation and can cast it without being obvious.

Well, as a psionic power, it CAN be done inobviously.

But its primary purpose is to disable an enemy, I think. Force them to keep moving rather than doing whatever they were moving in position to do. Force them to repeat an attack that was proven useless (e.g. use of fire breath on the character the monster didn't realize was fire-proof). Make them use up expensive ammunition. Make them waste a turn.

icefractal
2015-11-09, 06:23 PM
I've found it pretty useful. If an enemy just moved forward to get into range, for example, you can make them move forward again, which potentially:
* Wastes their turn.
* Provokes AoOs from your party.
* Put them in a position where they're surrounded, instead of being on the front-line like they wanted.

That good a case isn't always available, but you can usually make someone waste a turn at least. Also, it can be used an extension for other action-controlling powers, like Death Urge. Stabbed yourself once? Now do it again!

TIPOT
2015-11-09, 06:53 PM
Snake's swiftness and Snake's swiftness mass would work though if you're wanting that effect, both from the spell compendium

Necroticplague
2015-11-09, 07:19 PM
Also, it can be used an extension for other action-controlling powers, like Death Urge. Stabbed yourself once? Now do it again!
Ooooh....that's actually pretty clever. 1/7ths the cost in exchange for the save being 3 lower.

elonin
2015-11-09, 11:56 PM
That last use is good. I'm just dubious of trading your action for the same number of actions of an enemy. Guess it could be useful if your enemy just double moved and they are near a precipice.

Rubik
2015-11-10, 12:02 AM
That last use is good. I'm just dubious of trading your action for the same number of actions of an enemy. Guess it could be useful if your enemy just double moved and they are near a precipice.Linked Power? That way you trade one of your actions for (potentially) two of your opponent's.

atemu1234
2015-11-10, 12:36 PM
Linked Power? That way you trade one of your actions for (potentially) two of your opponent's.

An interesting idea.

StreamOfTheSky
2015-11-10, 07:58 PM
Brain Lock is another example of trading your action for the enemy's, but over a longer time period (well, optionally...you can end it any round you want before the duration ends).

When your side has the advantage in action economy, especially when it's really lopsided (single monster vs. the party, for example), trading your turns away so the enemy loses his too is a really good deal. Against a solo foe, it means insta-winning the fight.

Rubik
2015-11-10, 08:14 PM
Brain Lock is another example of trading your action for the enemy's, but over a longer time period (well, optionally...you can end it any round you want before the duration ends).

When your side has the advantage in action economy, especially when it's really lopsided (single monster vs. the party, for example), trading your turns away so the enemy loses his too is a really good deal. Against a solo foe, it means insta-winning the fight.Sometimes, Deja Vu beats out Brain Lock. Consider a fight in a volcano where manifesting Deja Vu means the (non-fire resistant) target would run headlong into a pool of magma. Brain Lock, on the other hand, would require additional actions to kill.