PDA

View Full Version : New Player, Finding Race+Class

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 03:26 AM
I've recently started playing D&D 3.5 once again, but I usually used to play with all the core classes+races. I wanted to do something new, but I just can't figure out what to use. I've decided that Homebrew Classes+Races will do but I need your help to find somewhat what I'm looking for.

I was thinking an assassin, but my DM's houserules means No evil whatsoever As well as no guns [ they don't mesh well ? ] I've seen that the Artificer is a viable class but I don't really think I'd be able to pull that off starting at lvl 1.

my Race's LA can only be a +1 at most. I really love elves, but I wanted something newish Class-wise I don't really want to rely on many spells, but I want to be able to hold my own later in levels because my DM hinted at possible Arena scenarios where I'd have to fight my Party, one of them is a Duskblade, the other a Dragon Shaman. I'm not against using ranged weapons, but I want my experience to be fast-paced :smalleek: Is there any class that has a good dual-wielding aspect?

I really was looking forward to being a dexterous warrior class but I wanted to mainly use a Spear [ specifically which one, I don't know any suggestions would be appreciated ] I understand that no spells really cuts down class tiers, but I wanted to rely more on raw power, so Spell-like abilities aren't out of the question.

I was wondering if there were any classes that utilize Fire, or some sort of Dark Magic kind of aspect to it, while maintaining the No-Evil side to my class. As for the race, I would roll with whatever fitted the given class best. I know I didn't give much information, but frankly, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for .

Sorry, and thank you:smallfrown::smallbiggrin:

Inevitability
2015-11-08, 03:38 AM
I want to help you here, I really do. It is just that the lack of paragraphs makes this really hard to read. Perhaps edit your post to include a few strategically placed 'enters'?

daremetoidareyo
2015-11-08, 03:43 AM
I like mundanes too! Decide on a build first, then we'll figure out race. Assume that you're gonna be human (that extra feat is so good). Then we'll look at templates (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?281882-3-5-Master-Template-List-(sorted)). If during our research we find a race restricted prestige classes or feats we'll consider not being a templated human. Races list (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1281.msg10985)

A bloodstorm blade build sounds like it could be up your alley.

xyianth
2015-11-08, 03:52 AM
Hmm, well there is a lot of information in your post so I might miss some things, but I'll try and give as many ideas as possible.

Regarding a something new race: There are tons of races out there, and deciding which one will work best is highly dependent on what build you want. Since I can't really give a recommendation here, I will link you to the master lists to make it easier for you to choose:
LA +0 list here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1281.0)
LA +1 (and +2) list here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?189980-3-5-LA-1-amp-LA-2-Player-Race-List)

As for the non-evil dexterous spear warrior with dark magic: if you are okay with using a glaive instead of a spear, a chaotic good/neutral warlock using eldritch glaive, weapon finesse, and combat reflexes sounds almost perfect. Especially if you take a level in binder, bind naberius, and then take all three levels of hellfire warlock.

If you really want to avoid casting of any kind, a good way to remain effective is to use the classes from Tome of Battle. These classes get martial maneuvers that they can use that help keep non-casters relevant at all levels. They are also easy to incorporate in multiclass characters, because all classes grant an inherent 1/2 progression to initiator level.

If you really want to specialize in fire, the pyrokineticist class can create a whip of fire and gets a bunch of useful fire related abilities including heat death, which is basically an at-will fortitude save or die that ignores resistance/immunity to fire. It requires having a psionic power point reserve, but that can be acquired via the wild talent feat and otherwise does not grant psionic progression.

I'd be happy to help give further build advice once you have a better idea of what you want your build to do. Until then, hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Seto
2015-11-08, 07:18 AM
Swordsage with Shadow Hand maneuvers ? They make good assassin-flavored characters. Plus, you can also add in some Desert Wind maneuvers and have their pyrotechnics going for you.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-08, 09:30 AM
] I've seen that the Artificer is a viable class but I don't really think I'd be able to pull that off starting at lvl 1. my Race's LA can only be a +1 at most. I really love elves, but I wanted something newish

Artificer is a strong class but a lot of paper work and needs a steady supply of down time. It may be my second favorite class behind druid but boy does it make you work for it.

Class-wise I don't really want to rely on many spells, but I want to be able to hold my own later in levels because my DM hinted at possible Arena scenarios where I'd have to fight my Party, one of them is a Duskblade, the other a Dragon Shaman.

Duskblade is good at killing things efficiently and not much else. Dragon Shaman is good at disappointing you and literally nothing else.

I'm not against using ranged weapons, but I want my experience to be fast-paced :smalleek: Is there any class that has a good dual-wielding aspect?

Rogue, because it can stack up precision damage and because needing to flank/be invisible/be blinking helps to mitigate the to hit penalties.

I really was looking forward to being a dexterous warrior class but I wanted to mainly use a Spear [ specifically which one, I don't know any suggestions would be appreciated ]

In 3.5 dextrous warrior is doable, but focusing on strength and wielding a long spear will get you more power with less effort.

I understand that no spells really cuts down class tiers, but I wanted to rely more on raw power, so Spell-like abilities aren't out of the question.

Sounds like you might want a warlock with eldritch glaive. Good in melee with a spear-like weapon with some SLAs to back it up.

I was wondering if there were any classes that utilize Fire, or some sort of Dark Magic kind of aspect to it, while maintaining the No-Evil side to my class. As for the race, I would roll with whatever fitted the given class best.

Warlock. Definitely warlock. Warlock also gives you easy usage of magic items starting at 4 so you can get a touch of the artificer fun without all the paperwork.

OldTrees1
2015-11-08, 10:29 AM
my Race's LA can only be a +1 at most. I really love elves, but I wanted something newish Class-wise I don't really want to rely on many spells, but I want to be able to hold my own later in levels because my DM hinted at possible Arena scenarios where I'd have to fight my Party, one of them is a Duskblade, the other a Dragon Shaman.

I understand that no spells really cuts down class tiers, but I wanted to rely more on raw power, so Spell-like abilities aren't out of the question. As for the race, I would roll with whatever fitted the given class best. I know I didn't give much information, but frankly, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for . Sorry, and thank you:smallfrown::smallbiggrin:

You are entering a vast field with several good options. Here are 2 guides that will help you make a functional non caster.
Lists of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items)
Mundanity and how to overcome it handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11381.0)

As for class, this time I would suggest Warblade. Warblades are kinda special in that they can fight as either a Tome of Battle class or as a buffed up Fighter-like class. They hold their own and allow you to get an idea of which fighting style you would want to learn more about. I would supplement this with a flying race (say Dragonborn) and use magic items to over the other necessary areas.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-11-08, 10:56 AM
I would recommend using Whisper Gnome (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=3) from Races of Stone with Swordsage from Tome of Battle. A Swordsage gets combat maneuvers, which are a different system from spells but still extremely useful. You'll have access to the Desert Wind (fire) and Shadow Hand (stealth) disciplines, among others, so it should give you exactly what you're looking for.

Take two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) if possible (more here (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?258440-The-quot-Best-quot-Flaws#30)) for two extra feats. Your feats should include TWF, Shadow Blade, Adaptive Style, Weapon Finesse, Extra Silence, Darkstalker, and possibly Silencing Strike (via Assassin's Stance).

Consider dipping a level of Warlock for the Darkness invocation and the feat Blend Into Shadows from Drow of the Underdark.

Consider dipping a level of Spellthief to get sneak attack to take the feat Craven early, to get trapfinding, and to be able to use wands of any spells on that class spell list. In this case put a wand chamber from Dungeonscape in one of your weapons and keep a Wand of Wraithstrike in that, which is still a swift action to activate per Rules Compendium.

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 12:39 PM
Swordsage with Shadow Hand maneuvers ? They make good assassin-flavored characters. Plus, you can also add in some Desert Wind maneuvers and have their pyrotechnics going for you.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I've reviewed a little itty piece of the swordsage and they look really promising ! :smallsmile: thanks so much, once again

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 12:46 PM
Warlock. Definitely warlock. Warlock also gives you easy usage of magic items starting at 4 so you can get a touch of the artificer fun without all the paperwork.[/QUOTE]

two people so far offered the Warlock with eldritch Glaive, Thanks so much man. I really appreciate it ): <3

Dread_Head
2015-11-08, 12:53 PM
If your DM doesn't allow evil and you stil want to play an assassin then WotC published a non evil version of the class online: The Avenger. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a)

One nice entry would be Swordsage which would be my recommendation but you could also enter with Warlock. Alternatively if you like both Warlock and Swordsage they work quite well together. Something like Swordsage 1 / Warlock 8 / Swordsage 1 can make a strong build.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-08, 12:53 PM
What is nice about 3.5 is these are all good suggestions that fir your criteria. It is just a matter of which you want to explore first

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 12:57 PM
Hmm, well there is a lot of information in your post so I might miss some things, but I'll try and give as many ideas as possible.

Regarding a something new race: There are tons of races out there, and deciding which one will work best is highly dependent on what build you want. Since I can't really give a recommendation here, I will link you to the master lists to make it easier for you to choose:
LA +0 list

As for the non-evil dexterous spear warrior with dark magic: if you are okay with using a glaive instead of a spear, a chaotic good/neutral warlock using eldritch glaive, weapon finesse, and combat reflexes sounds almost perfect. Especially if you take a level in binder, bind naberius, and then take all three levels of hellfire warlock.

If you really want to avoid casting of any kind, a good way to remain effective is to use the classes from Tome of Battle. These classes get martial maneuvers that they can use that help keep non-casters relevant at all levels. They are also easy to incorporate in multiclass characters, because all classes grant an inherent 1/2 progression to initiator level.

If you really want to specialize in fire, the pyrokineticist class can create a whip of fire and gets a bunch of useful fire related abilities including heat death, which is basically an at-will fortitude save or die that ignores resistance/immunity to fire. It requires having a psionic power point reserve, but that can be acquired via the wild talent feat and otherwise does not grant psionic progression.

I'd be happy to help give further build advice once you have a better idea of what you want your build to do. Until then, hopefully this gives you some ideas.

I guess I'll go with eldritch Glaive Warlock, but can I have some more information on the binding aka Links of any kind?
and is Hellfire Warlock a PrC? or am I lost. And which race do you think would supplement the Warlock Best?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-08, 01:05 PM
Hellfire Warlock is a PrC from Fiendish codex II.

As for race I love Strongheart halfling. The penalty to strength is balanced out by the small bonus to hit, you get some other goodies and a bonus feat. Whisper Gnome is also cool. No bonus feat and massive boost to hide so you are more likely to get a flat-footed hit in. Very little in the game has anything but a terrible flat-footed touch AC.

What I like about small here is both the benefits of small, +1 to hit and +1 to AC, are good early on and the biggest downside, a penalty to weapon damage rolls, is negated by your glaive doing damage strictly off of eldritch blast.

The Master Race List III is also a good resource to scout out possible races. Sorry I cannot link you but I am on my phone.

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 01:09 PM
Hellfire Warlock is a PrC from Fiendish codex II.

As for race I love Strongheart halfling. The penalty to strength is balanced out by the small bonus to hit, you get some other goodies and a bonus feat. Whisper Gnome is also cool. No bonus feat and massive boost to hide so you are more likely to get a flat-footed hit in. Very little in the game has anything but a terrible flat-footed touch AC.

What I like about small here is both the benefits of small, +1 to hit and +1 to AC, are good early on and the biggest downside, a penalty to weapon damage rolls, is negated by your glaive doing damage strictly off of eldritch blast.

The Master Race List III is also a good resource to scout out possible races. Sorry I cannot link you but I am on my phone.

Alright, I'll look into it, I usually play medium-sized races. :smallbiggrin: I could use some help with like making the template itself because I am still not sure if my party is going to start off at level 1, or level 6, etc.

As for Naberius, is that a binder-trait , or a warlock bloodline?

Edit: I really love elf subraces, so would an Avariel be possible? or even a Drow? :smallfrown:

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-08, 01:35 PM
If you want Drow try lesser Drow from Player's Guide to Faerun. No la but much of the Drow goodness.

As for Naberius he is a vestige so a binder dip would be preferable to get him.

rrwoods
2015-11-08, 01:44 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback! I've reviewed a little itty piece of the swordsage and they look really promising ! :smallsmile: thanks so much, once again

I'm biased, 'cause I'm playing one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19543801&postcount=6), but: Another vote from me for a Whisper Gnome swordsage. I'll leave the details to the linked thread.

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 01:49 PM
If you want Drow try lesser Drow from Player's Guide to Faerun. No la but much of the Drow goodness.

As for Naberius he is a vestige so a binder dip would be preferable to get him.

I can have my race for a LA+1, any elvish races? or maybe something Completely new that you think I'd like.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-08, 02:13 PM
I can have my race for a LA+1, any elvish races? or maybe something Completely new that you think I'd like.

Only +1 elves I know of are from Dragonlance and are aquatic. Perhaps a +1 template? Most of the juicy races/template are kept at +2.

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 02:24 PM
Only +1 elves I know of are from Dragonlance and are aquatic. Perhaps a +1 template? Most of the juicy races/template are kept at +2.

Well I can probably convince a +2 LA But which would ya suggest?

Troacctid
2015-11-08, 02:28 PM
If you get a free +1 LA, I'd suggest a template, probably either Dark, Draconic, or maybe Quasilycanthrope, although if you went with an outsider race instead of an elf then Mulhorandi Divine Minion would be excellent. Lolth-touched is also good for the Con bonus, but it makes you evil, so you might not want it.

If you can get +2, then Shadow or Phrenic would be fantastic, and Half-Fey would be a solid choice as well. So would Saint, but you need three Exalted feats for that, which could be problematic.

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 02:32 PM
If you get a free +1 LA, I'd suggest a template, probably either Dark, Draconic, or maybe Quasilycanthrope, although if you went with an outsider race instead of an elf then Mulhorandi Divine Minion would be excellent. Lolth-touched is also good for the Con bonus, but it makes you evil, so you might not want it.

If you can get +2, then Shadow or Phrenic would be fantastic, and Half-Fey would be a solid choice as well. So would Saint, but you need three Exalted feats for that, which could be problematic.

Which race shall I chooose with a shadow templateee?
pls :smalleek:

Troacctid
2015-11-08, 02:42 PM
Water Halfling and Strongheart Halfling are both pretty good.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-08, 02:42 PM
Shadow Whisper Gnome seems too hilarious not to do. I believe the Dark Template is a weaker shadow template at +1 IIRC. The gulf between them is huge for a +1 shift though.

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 02:45 PM
Water Halfling and Strongheart Halfling are both pretty good.

Is shadowkin the template? Light Sensitivity doesn't seem promising ): if It's worth it, I'm all for it. but I was wondering if there were medium-sized races that also do good with any of the templates you recommended , so basically. which would you go with as a Hellfire Warlock? :smallbiggrin:

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 02:47 PM
Shadow Whisper Gnome seems too hilarious not to do. I believe the Dark Template is a weaker shadow template at +1 IIRC. The gulf between them is huge for a +1 shift though.

I'm new to smaller base size creatures tbh, would A Shadow Whisper Gnome be under LA+2 Though? and for the Hellfire Warlock with the Eldritch Glaive, would you recommend the race+template build? :smallconfused:

Troacctid
2015-11-08, 02:51 PM
Is shadowkin the template? Light Sensitivity doesn't seem promising ): if It's worth it, I'm all for it. but I was wondering if there were medium-sized races that also do good with any of the templates you recommended , so basically. which would you go with as a Hellfire Warlock? :smallbiggrin:
The Shadow Creature template can be found in Lords of Madness, p167. It is +2 LA and quite strong.

Small size is better than medium. It gives you a +1 bonus to attack and AC. It's actually good enough that I consider a permanent Reduce Person part of the standard equipment for most of my Warlocks. (If they're humanoid, anyway. No such luck for Warforged or Aasimar.)

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-08, 02:57 PM
I'm new to smaller base size creatures tbh, would A Shadow Whisper Gnome be under LA+2 Though? and for the Hellfire Warlock with the Eldritch Glaive, would you recommend the race+template build? :smallconfused:

As I mentioned the biggest downside to being small is the sizable cut in weapon damage. Since eldritch glaive goes strictly off of blast you have to worry about a tiny reduction in carrying capacity (handy haversack a gogo). In return you get a +1 to hit and a +1 to AC which is nice. Shadow gives some hot benefits, such as total concealment in anything but daylight (great for twilight fighting). You can also take fast healing to never worry about out of combat healing again.

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 03:00 PM
As I mentioned the biggest downside to being small is the sizable cut in weapon damage. Since eldritch glaive goes strictly off of blast you have to worry about a tiny reduction in carrying capacity (handy haversack a gogo). In return you get a +1 to hit and a +1 to AC which is nice. Shadow gives some hot benefits, such as total concealment in anything but daylight (great for twilight fighting). You can also take fast healing to never worry about out of combat healing again.

Alright, well the rolls that our DM set as our Default values was 8,10,12,13,14,15 . Where would/should I invest the values? as for Feats is Fast Healing a feat or?

xyianth
2015-11-08, 03:21 PM
Binder is a base class from Tome of Magic. Their main class ability is to bind vestiges with their soulbinding ability. Which vestiges they have available depends on their class level. Naberius is a 1st level vestige, so you only need 1 level of binder to bind him. He gives some really great abilities, but the best is that you heal 1 point of ability damage each round. (useful handbook on binders here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2942.0))

Hellfire Warlock is a prestige class from Fiendish Codex II (also found here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061207a&page=3))

If you want to stick with an elf subrace, I recommend a feytouched painted elf. Feytouched can be found here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a). Painted elves are from Sandstorm. The main bonuses this provides are: +4 dex, -2 con, -2 int, +2 cha, charm person as an SLA, fey type(immunity to humanoid effects), and permanent mind blank.

I will point out an interesting LA+1 option for warlocks, though dexterity isn't their strong suit. Primordial Half-giant gets -2 str, -2 dex, +4 int, +4 cha, powerful build, +1 warlock CL, and an at-will SLA (invisibility, levitate, or invisibility purge). Half-giant is from Expanded Psionic Handbook, Primordial Giant is from Secrets of Xendrik.

If dragon magazine content is allowed, a better way to qualify for primordial giant is to combine it with the half-minotaur template on any medium humanoid. Half-minotaur can be found here (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/half-minotaur.shtml). Fair warning: the half-minotaur template is extremely overpowered; most DMs will ban it.

If LA+2 is available, you have some additional options:

Fey'ri are LA+2 outsiders with elven blood from Races of Faerun. They get alter self at-will for any humanoid form, as well as several other SLAs.
Karsite are LA+2 humans from Tome of Magic. They are healed when magic is used against them and can disrupt magical effects with their attacks.
There are three excellent +2 LA templates: Shadow creature, Half-fey, and Phrenic creature. Any one of these would be a great addition to any LA +0 race. Shadow creature can be found here (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/shadowcreature.shtml), Half-fey can be found under feytouched in the link above, and Phrenic creature can be found here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Phrenic_Creature).

Finally, if you want to play a heavily templated monstrosity, you can use warforged as your base race, apply up to LA+3 in templates, then apply the Incarnate Construct template from Savage Species. This template reduces your LA by 2. This is also considered extremely cheesy by most DMs.

Troacctid
2015-11-08, 03:37 PM
If you want to stick with an elf subrace, I recommend a feytouched painted elf. Feytouched can be found here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a). Painted elves are from Sandstorm. The main bonuses this provides are: +4 dex, -2 con, -2 int, +2 cha, charm person as an SLA, fey type(immunity to humanoid effects), and permanent mind blank.

Feytouched is a race, not a template.

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 03:38 PM
Binder is a base class from Tome of Magic. Their main class ability is to bind vestiges with their soulbinding ability. Which vestiges they have available depends on their class level. Naberius is a 1st level vestige, so you only need 1 level of binder to bind him. He gives some really great abilities, but the best is that you heal 1 point of ability damage each round. (useful handbook on binders
Hellfire Warlock is a prestige class from Fiendish Codex II (also found

If you want to stick with an elf subrace, I recommend a feytouched painted elf. Feytouched can be found . Painted elves are from Sandstorm. The main bonuses this provides are: +4 dex, -2 con, -2 int, +2 cha, charm person as an SLA, fey type(immunity to humanoid effects), and permanent mind blank.

I will point out an interesting LA+1 option for warlocks, though dexterity isn't their strong suit. Primordial Half-giant gets -2 str, -2 dex, +4 int, +4 cha, powerful build, +1 warlock CL, and an at-will SLA (invisibility, levitate, or invisibility purge). Half-giant is from Expanded Psionic Handbook, Primordial Giant is from Secrets of Xendrik.

If dragon magazine content is allowed, a better way to qualify for primordial giant is to combine it with the half-minotaur template on any medium humanoid. Half-minotaur can be found . Fair warning: the half-minotaur template is extremely overpowered; most DMs will ban it.

If LA+2 is available, you have some additional options:
[LIST]
Fey'ri are LA+2 outsiders with elven blood from Races of Faerun. They get alter self at-will for any humanoid form, as well as several other SLAs.
Karsite are LA+2 humans from Tome of Magic. They are healed when magic is used against them and can disrupt magical effects with their attacks.
There are three excellent +2 LA templates: Shadow creature, Half-fey, and Phrenic creature. Any one of these would be a great addition to any LA +0 race. Shadow creature can be found , Half-fey can be found under feytouched in the link above, and Phrenic creature can be found

Finally, if you want to play a heavily templated monstrosity, you can use warforged as your base race, apply up to LA+3 in templates, then apply the Incarnate Construct template from Savage Species. This template reduces your LA by 2. This is also considered extremely cheesy by most DMs.

Thanks for all the info ! but umm. I was convinced by some other posters that the Shadow template Whisper Gnome would be best for my Hellfire Warlock, should I just stick to that?

xyianth
2015-11-08, 03:49 PM
By all means, use whatever option you want, I am just providing information. Shadow whisper gnome is a perfectly good option.

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-08, 05:03 PM
By all means, use whatever option you want, I am just providing information. Shadow whisper gnome is a perfectly good option.

Thanks again ! <3

DEMON
2015-11-09, 11:11 AM
Another option, for a +2 LA Elven character would be a Fey'ri.

Not necessarily better than the Whisper Gnome, but has some nice toys of its own.

And has elven blood mixed with the demonic blood, which would be a good fit for the Warlock RP-wise.

Just some more food for thought.

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-09, 09:44 PM
Another option, for a +2 LA Elven character would be a Fey'ri.

Not necessarily better than the Whisper Gnome, but has some nice toys of its own.

And has elven blood mixed with the demonic blood, which would be a good fit for the Warlock RP-wise.

Just some more food for thought.

In the wiki, what would be the stats and such for a LA+3 . I'm really diggin' a dimension door power pls :smalleek:

xyianth
2015-11-10, 01:09 AM
Fey'ri have the same stats at LA +2 or +3; the only difference is whether they pick one of the SLAs that make them LA +3. (dimension door is one of them)

If you want a dimension door ability, there are better ways to acquire it. Warlocks have access to the invocation 'flee the scene' (lesser invocation) which lets them dimension door 25' +5'/level as a standard action at-will and leaves a major image where you were standing. The shape soulmeld(blink shirt) feat (from Magic of Incarnum) gives you the ability to dimension door 10' + 10'/essentia as a standard action at-will. (a 2-level dip in totemist changes this to a move-equivalent action) The Shadow Jaunt/Stride/Blink maneuvers from Tome of Battle let you teleport 50' as various actions. (you can get these with the martial study feat) Finally, the Horizon Walker prestige class lets you pick a planar terrain (shifting) which lets you dimension door at-will (full distance) every 1d4 rounds. (there are other prestige classes that have teleport abilities as well, depending on your build some may be a better fit)

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-10, 01:18 AM
Fey'ri have the same stats at LA +2 or +3; the only difference is whether they pick one of the SLAs that make them LA +3. (dimension door is one of them)

If you want a dimension door ability, there are better ways to acquire it. Warlocks have access to the invocation 'flee the scene' (lesser invocation) which lets them dimension door 25' +5'/level as a standard action at-will and leaves a major image where you were standing. The shape soulmeld(blink shirt) feat (from Magic of Incarnum) gives you the ability to dimension door 10' + 10'/essentia as a standard action at-will. (a 2-level dip in totemist changes this to a move-equivalent action) The Shadow Jaunt/Stride/Blink maneuvers from Tome of Battle let you teleport 50' as various actions. (you can get these with the martial study feat) Finally, the Horizon Walker prestige class lets you pick a planar terrain (shifting) which lets you dimension door at-will (full distance) every 1d4 rounds. (there are other prestige classes that have teleport abilities as well, depending on your build some may be a better fit)

Ah Alright, thanks man. I've got to be heading to bed soon, but for my Hellfire Warlock [ Eldritch Glaive Style] What kind of feats should I take as a Fey'ri or would the stats I would take as a Whisper Gnome work fine?

xyianth
2015-11-10, 03:00 AM
Whisper gnome is probably better. (especially if it is a shadow whisper gnome) Since you are a high dexterity character, weapon finesse + combat reflexes are basically required feats for you. After those, you have some options.

In order to make the most of eldritch glaive, many acquire a method of swift action movement. The easiest to use is travel devotion. (from complete champion) Once per day, you can use this feat to give yourself swift action movement for 1 minute. In order to use it more than 1/day, you will need to take a level of cleric or death delver. (from heroes of horror) [Sacred exorcist would be best, but qualifying for it as a warlock is not easy; you could also accomplish it by taking 8 total levels of binder, but that is a steep investment] The point of these classes is that they grant you turn/rebuke undead. You can then use those attempts (and related items) to fuel travel devotion uses. It should be noted that this is optional. You can choose to rely on your normal eldritch blasts/invocations until enemies get within range of your eldritch glaive and never need to worry about swift action movement at all.

Due to their somewhat limited invocations, some warlocks benefit from the extra invocation and/or infernal adept feats, which grant additional invocations known.

Other feats are basically open and can be used to support specific abilities. If you end up taking 12+ levels of warlock, (not just effective levels via prestige classes) scribe scroll and/or craft wondrous item become very valuable feats.

If you gain sneak attack from somewhere, craven and staggering strike become useful options. A good way to gain sneak attack is to take 2 levels of swordsage after 6th level. You can pick up assassin's stance and a few maneuvers that way. (including shadow jaunt for teleportation) Another good way to gain sneak attack is to take the infernal adept feat after you have access to greater invocations. You can use it to pick up the humanoid shape invocation from dragonfire adepts. This invocation lets you alter self at will into any humanoid shape. One of these shapes is dark stalker from fiend folio, which gives +3d6 sneak attack. (it is also medium sized, so your glaive would increase from 5' to 10' reach) It should be noted that both of these sources of sneak attack stack with each other, so you can choose to pursue both options if you wish.

Another fairly good trick with warlocks is taking the quicken spell-like ability feat for your favorite invocations, that way you can use them as swift actions a few times per day.

Finally, I'll explain a fairly effective trick for a good aligned sneaky warlock. If you do end up taking 2 levels of swordsage to acquire assassin's stance, use the unarmed variant and grab at least 1 second level setting sun or shadow hand maneuver as well as one maneuver from both of those disciplines. You can then qualify for 4 levels of shadowsun ninja. (from Tome of Battle) The 4th level ability produces a 60' friendly save vs blindness effect as a non-action every time you make a melee attack after hiding. You can make this trick even more effective by selecting the darkness invocation as one of your least invocations known and taking the blend into darkness feat from Drow of the Underdark. That feat lets you hide in plain sight as a swift action. This makes triggering the blindness effect much easier in the middle of combat. This trick does require a bit of investment to set up, so make sure it won't prevent you from doing the other things you want to do before committing to it. If one of your party members is undead or tomb-tainted (or has an undead pet) you can also gain at-will healing for the entire party outside combat this way.

Ninebalthazaar
2015-11-10, 01:38 PM
Whisper gnome is probably better. (especially if it is a shadow whisper gnome) Since you are a high dexterity character, weapon finesse + combat reflexes are basically required feats for you. After those, you have some options.

In order to make the most of eldritch glaive, many acquire a method of swift action movement. The easiest to use is travel devotion. (from complete champion) Once per day, you can use this feat to give yourself swift action movement for 1 minute. In order to use it more than 1/day, you will need to take a level of cleric or death delver. (from heroes of horror) [Sacred exorcist would be best, but qualifying for it as a warlock is not easy; you could also accomplish it by taking 8 total levels of binder, but that is a steep investment] The point of these classes is that they grant you turn/rebuke undead. You can then use those attempts (and related items) to fuel travel devotion uses. It should be noted that this is optional. You can choose to rely on your normal eldritch blasts/invocations until enemies get within range of your eldritch glaive and never need to worry about swift action movement at all.

Due to their somewhat limited invocations, some warlocks benefit from the extra invocation and/or infernal adept feats, which grant additional invocations known.

Other feats are basically open and can be used to support specific abilities. If you end up taking 12+ levels of warlock, (not just effective levels via prestige classes) scribe scroll and/or craft wondrous item become very valuable feats.

If you gain sneak attack from somewhere, craven and staggering strike become useful options. A good way to gain sneak attack is to take 2 levels of swordsage after 6th level. You can pick up assassin's stance and a few maneuvers that way. (including shadow jaunt for teleportation) Another good way to gain sneak attack is to take the infernal adept feat after you have access to greater invocations. You can use it to pick up the humanoid shape invocation from dragonfire adepts. This invocation lets you alter self at will into any humanoid shape. One of these shapes is dark stalker from fiend folio, which gives +3d6 sneak attack. (it is also medium sized, so your glaive would increase from 5' to 10' reach) It should be noted that both of these sources of sneak attack stack with each other, so you can choose to pursue both options if you wish.

Another fairly good trick with warlocks is taking the quicken spell-like ability feat for your favorite invocations, that way you can use them as swift actions a few times per day.

Finally, I'll explain a fairly effective trick for a good aligned sneaky warlock. If you do end up taking 2 levels of swordsage to acquire assassin's stance, use the unarmed variant and grab at least 1 second level setting sun or shadow hand maneuver as well as one maneuver from both of those disciplines. You can then qualify for 4 levels of shadowsun ninja. (from Tome of Battle) The 4th level ability produces a 60' friendly save vs blindness effect as a non-action every time you make a melee attack after hiding. You can make this trick even more effective by selecting the darkness invocation as one of your least invocations known and taking the blend into darkness feat from Drow of the Underdark. That feat lets you hide in plain sight as a swift action. This makes triggering the blindness effect much easier in the middle of combat. This trick does require a bit of investment to set up, so make sure it won't prevent you from doing the other things you want to do before committing to it. If one of your party members is undead or tomb-tainted (or has an undead pet) you can also gain at-will healing for the entire party outside combat this way.

And this is for the feats as a Whisper Gnome , correct? just don't wanna be lost:smalleek:

xyianth
2015-11-10, 09:42 PM
The feats I mentioned are useful for any warlocks that specialize in eldritch glaive, no matter what race they are.