PDA

View Full Version : Best sleight of hand class?

Gambitspades
2015-11-08, 07:06 AM
I am playing a thief. and i need to be great at sleight of hand.
a prc with nifty bonusses would help...is there a good one?

ben-zayb
2015-11-08, 07:18 AM
Not a PrC per se, but this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?142080-3-5-The-Lightning-Thief-Epic-Sleight-of-Hand-Abuse) contains useful information for the easiest to acquire Sleight of Hand bonus

Jowgen
2015-11-08, 08:02 AM
City of Stormreach, Master Pickpocket feat.

Get your DM to let you take it, work out the finer points, and you should never have any problems.

As for using SoH effectively, think along the lines of depriving wizards of their spell components and focuses as a free action in combat.

PrC wise... ummm... master thrower gets an ability that keys of sleight of hand, I believe, that your DM might let you combo with Master Pickpocket for efficiency. Tome of Magic has a shadow-magic version of Mage Hand that lets you sleight of hand at range, I believe. That's about it to my knowledge.

Chronos
2015-11-08, 08:18 AM
There's not much for PrCs, but the best base class for this is factotum, possibly with a splash of incarnate and/or marshal (at least factotum 3/incarnate 1/marshal 1). Factotum lets you add your Int mod to all Str and Dex-based skills and ability checks (including initiative, incidentally), and marshal gives you an aura to add your Cha bonus to all checks based on the ability score of your choice, for both you and your allies (choose Dex, and that also applies to initiative). Incarnate, meanwhile, lets you shape the Theft Gloves soulmeld, which gives an insight bonus, which can be improved further with essentia (you can also pick this up via a feat, but the class level is more efficient).

Eventually, you probably will want to take one level of the Exemplar prestige class. The main ability you pick up there is Skill Mastery, which works like the rogue special ability, but doesn't require you to spend ten levels on rogue to pick it up (which is good, since there are so many class levels better than rogue available).

If you want something simpler, without so many dips in various classes, just go straight factotum, which is much better than rogue across the board.