PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Icingdeath (the dragon not the sword)

Karnack
2015-11-08, 09:19 AM
Hello folks I am in need of some guidance.

My current group which I am DMing for is currently stomping around the Forgotten Realms year 1354DR and has found themselves up in the icey north and are currently not that far away from the Evermelt area of the Reghed glacier.

This area of course holds the lair of Ingeloakastimizilian/Icingdeath and I have great reason to belive that my group being the loot hungry players that they are going to no doubt want to go kill him and claim his horde.

What I'm lookng for is any information on the layout of his lair if there is any and on him? I've not been able to find anything substantial bar a few battle mats and that he likes to sleep alot.

Any info would be a great help and appreciated.

nedz
2015-11-08, 09:58 AM
Which version of D&D are you playing ?

It might be a good idea to get the mods to move this thread to the appropriate sub-forum. You can do this by reporting your first post and asking them to move it.

Karnack
2015-11-08, 10:05 AM
Which version of D&D are you playing ?

It might be a good idea to get the mods to move this thread to the appropriate sub-forum. You can do this by reporting your first post and asking them to move it.

Ah sorry I didn't think the version would have been that important >.< . It's 5th edition, I'll go ask the mods to move it there just now.

nedz
2015-11-08, 03:07 PM
Ah sorry I didn't think the version would have been that important >.< . It's 5th edition, I'll go ask the mods to move it there just now.

It's just that you will get more, and better, responses.

Darth Ultron
2015-11-08, 04:22 PM
There is a very detailed description of his lair in the Forgotten Realms Atlas, but that has been out of print forever.....but you might find a copy on Ebay or other such sites.

As for the dragon itself, he is just a big white dragon. Stat him however you'd like.

Icingdeath was a 1E dragon, as described in the Crystal Shard. And 1E was a long time ago....

Karnack
2015-11-08, 05:30 PM
There is a very detailed description of his lair in the Forgotten Realms Atlas, but that has been out of print forever.....but you might find a copy on Ebay or other such sites.

As for the dragon itself, he is just a big white dragon. Stat him however you'd like.

Icingdeath was a 1E dragon, as described in the Crystal Shard. And 1E was a long time ago....

Thanks! I'll see if I can hunt one down.

As for the stats I've already dealt with that, placed him somewhere between an adult and ancient white should be about right. Hopefully.

Blackhawk748
2015-11-08, 05:44 PM
He has a Box set in DnD Icons which comes with a very nice flip mat and of course Icingdeath himself. Its not his entire cave complex but its a fair sized section.

Also in 3.5 he was Gargatuan which would make him either a Wyrm or a Great Wyrm.

Karnack
2015-11-09, 03:19 AM
He has a Box set in DnD Icons which comes with a very nice flip mat and of course Icingdeath himself. Its not his entire cave complex but its a fair sized section.

Also in 3.5 he was Gargatuan which would make him either a Wyrm or a Great Wyrm.

I'll see if I can hunt one of those down as well, thank you very much :)

Malifice
2015-11-09, 10:26 AM

Make him an ancient white dragon with the spellcasting variant.

Unless you want your PC's to challenge him.

What level are they?

Micah Watt
2015-11-09, 09:03 PM
I assume your players have read the books and want to take on the 'named' dragon.

Darth Ultron already indicated that his actual lair is layed out in the Atlas of the Forgotten Realms.

I'd add to that advice by suggesting that you give Icingdeath a method of escape (which is not in the atlas map) and make him a recurring challenge.

It makes for a good scene in the books, but it'd be considerably more fulfilling for your players if he becomes a thorn in their side. They can slay any old dragon, but to be hunted by Icingdeath is worthy of a story.

Karnack
2015-11-10, 04:36 AM
Make him an ancient white dragon with the spellcasting variant.

Unless you want your PC's to challenge him.

What level are they?

I've currently got him statted somewhere between an Adult and Ancient White with spellcasting as a
5th level sorcerer with none of the class features. I'm tempted to make him a full on ancient since I found out that he is alot older than I thought he was. The game is sandboxy with a main quest line that the players can focus on as much as they like so they are aware that they can wander into somewhere were they can get squished easily.

As for their level the players are currently level 7 that are due to hit level 9 as they are about to complete a dungeon and a major quest milestone. I would be worried about a TPK but they have shown to be very clever and have managed to take on some nasty threats due to tactics and good gameplay. This and due to magical shenanigains they are pretty tooled up on magic items. And one of the players is a an adult green dragon due to Reincarnation and using a custom table :smallsigh:. Long story on how that happened but I allowed it as the other players we're ok with the massive increase in power and that he was a green dragon so the RP opportunities would be intreasting as he is chromatic not metallic. He has come to realize it's not easy being green :smallamused:.

Life Cleric Level 7
Assassin Rogue Level 7
Old Pact Warlock 2/ Lore Bard 5
Necromancer wizard Level 7
Arcane Trickster Level 7
Way of the Open Fist Monl Level 7 (The dragon player)

I assume your players have read the books and want to take on the 'named' dragon.

Darth Ultron already indicated that his actual lair is layed out in the Atlas of the Forgotten Realms.

I'd add to that advice by suggesting that you give Icingdeath a method of escape (which is not in the atlas map) and make him a recurring challenge.

It makes for a good scene in the books, but it'd be considerably more fulfilling for your players if he becomes a thorn in their side. They can slay any old dragon, but to be hunted by Icingdeath is worthy of a story.

I managed to find a copy of the Atlas, it has given me exactly what I needed so woo for that :)

As for knowing about who the dragon is the group is pretty new to D&D both lore and the system bar two players. The only player I know for sure who knows who Icingdeath is is my wife. The look I got was hilarious when she put two and two together :smallbiggrin: