PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Rhul-Thaun - Jagged Cliff Halfling (Dark Sun)

M Placeholder
2015-11-08, 10:17 AM
The first mention of the Halflings that originally were the only sentient beings on Athas was first mentioned in the sourcebook City by the Silt Sea, and the Rhul-Thaun were introduced in the sourcebook Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs. The Rhul-Thaun was based on the halfling in the 5th edition handbook. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jZ_-uYQxf8XzFpX2x6VVlicEk/view?pli=1)

Rhul-Thaun - Jagged Cliff Halfling.

From the Jagged Cliffs, the rhul-thaun are the heirs to the blue age, and the ancient arts of life shaping. During the blue age, when the sun was azure and water covered Athas, the rhulisti were the masters of the world, shaping life to their own ends. The present day rhul-thaun still have the knowledge to shape life.

To the people on the cliffs, all life is sacred, and that nature is to be admired and respected. All things in nature serve a purpose, and familiar rituals gives them the assurance that order will be imposed on chaos, and that they are the true heirs to a rich legacy. Few rhul-thaun become clerics of the elements.

Considering their mastery in the shaping of life, few rhul-thaun deal in magic (and Rajaats curse is a factor in this) or Psionics. The Way is not fully understood by most of the rhul-thaun of the burnt world, and it is unknown in the minds of the Halflings of the cliffs that psionics could be manipulated or focused into a greater source of power, and it is unlikely that they ever will.
Life on the cliffs has altered their view of the world. They are a race that have developed an affinity with vertical thinking and positioning, and they excel at activities such as rock climbing. They are as resistant to poison as the feral Halflings of the forests, and they live longer lives. While dying of old age is almost unheard of in the tablelands, but a Halfling can and quite often live to 150 years of age.

As a rhul-thaun, you have –

Ability Score Increase – Your wisdom goes up by 1, and your dexterity score goes up by 2
Speed – Your base land speed is 25 feet
Size – You are a small creature
Halfling Nimbleness – You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.
Master of the Jagged Cliffs – You have proficiency on Acrobatics, advantage on acrobatics when climbing, and when climbing advantage on all attack rolls, due to your upbringing on the jagged cliffs.
Keen Senses – You have proficiency in the perception skill
Shaper of Nature – You have proficiency in the Nature Skill.

LibraryOgre
2015-11-09, 12:26 PM
I'd drop Killing Machine, personally; doesn't fit in with Rhul-Thaun, IMO. I might add Advantage on Acrobatics to climb (they're presented as being more apt to climb 10' up than to walk 10' over), and mention proficiency with their technology.

M Placeholder
2015-11-09, 12:41 PM
I'd drop Killing Machine, personally; doesn't fit in with Rhul-Thaun, IMO. I might add Advantage on Acrobatics to climb (they're presented as being more apt to climb 10' up than to walk 10' over), and mention proficiency with their technology.

I haven't seen much on life shaping (and when WotC get round to Dark Sun, I think thats something they will ignore), so I don't know how that can be implemented as yet.

It was mentioned that the Rhul-Thaun have to deal with Kreen regularly, so I had that in mind with the Killing Machine.

LibraryOgre
2015-11-09, 03:26 PM
Really, I think the combination of Killing Machine and Halfling Nimbleness is going to make them too potent. A bonus to hit EVERYTHING bigger than them, and the ability to move through their square without repercussions? Heck, stick them on a wall and they're getting advantage on their attacks, too.