PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Synesthete Power (Psionics) Questions

Laurellien
2015-11-08, 12:02 PM
For reference: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm

One of my player's characters is a psion who has used this power. I have a few questions about it:

1) Is the power specifically limited to feeling light and feeling sound?
2) If no, could a character choose to feel smell? If so, would you be immune to a creature's stench ability?
3) Relatedly, could a character choose to use another sense than touch - e.g. tasting sound?
4) Would the immunity to gaze attacks function only while the eyes were closed? (and would the +4 bonus Spot & Search checks be negated?)
5) Would a captivating song from a harpy or other such creature (or any other auditory attack) work on somebody who is choosing to feel sound?

Uncle Pine
2015-11-08, 12:20 PM
1) No, you can also use it to see sound or hear light.
2) No: you can either use Synesthete to feel light, feel sound, see sound or hear light. No.
3) No, see 2).
4) Even if it sounds reasonable, the power doesn't place such restrictions. So no and no.
5) Yes.

Somewhat related, I'm surprised I've never seen this power mentioned in the various "how do I build a blind archer/monk/wizard/etc.?" threads.

Tohsaka Rin
2015-11-08, 12:48 PM
It seems like the majority people people either dislike, or don't understand Psionics.

Spread the word, people! It makes life better!

nijineko
2015-11-08, 11:11 PM
I think most people are not familiar with the skill of critical reading... not in the least the ones who write the rules in the first place. ^^