PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Rule question about Shadow Walking. Sonic immunity and silence abuse. Plane Native.

Jowgen
2015-11-08, 01:54 PM
First, a bunch of questions in regards to the ritual of Shadow Walking (LoD). It grants an Su ability to "use shadows as a means of conveyance", which is activated by entering "an area of shadow as a standard action and emerge immediately from another such area that is no more than 100 feet away".

Is this classed as a teleportation effect? A form of Planar travel? Does it require one to be on a plane coterminous with the plane of shadow? Does one require line of sight/effect to the intended location? If not, does one gain awareness of potential exit-areas within 100 ft upon activating the ability? Can it be activated while in a grapple, or while unable to take physical actions?

Second, I am looking for purchase-able sources of Sonic immunity.

Third, in relation to this, I am looking for a way to utilize the protective properties of silence effects without loosing the ability to make listen checks. Basically, I like that silence breaks line of effect for sonic effects but don't like how it shuts of a character's ability to make listen checks. I doubt there's a way to make it work, but I thought I'd ask.

EDIT: Fourth, some questions in relation to being native to a plane.

Is it possible to have the native subytype but not count as being native to the Material Plane?

Other than that one feat, how can one change what plane one counts as native to for the purposes of spells like dismissal?

If the Plane of Faerie (MoTP) is in play, would Fey creatures then by default count as being native to there?

Similarly, if one encounters a creature native to the plane of faerie away from the material plane, does fact that the Plane of Faerie doesn't connect to the astral but only to the material interfere with dismissal type effects?

sleepyphoenixx
2015-11-08, 04:03 PM
First, a bunch of questions in regards to the ritual of Shadow Walking (LoD). It grants an Su ability to "use shadows as a means of conveyance", which is activated by entering "an area of shadow as a standard action and emerge immediately from another such area that is no more than 100 feet away".

Is this classed as a teleportation effect? A form of Planar travel? Does it require one to be on a plane coterminous with the plane of shadow? Does one require line of sight/effect to the intended location? If not, does one gain awareness of potential exit-areas within 100 ft upon activating the ability? Can it be activated while in a grapple, or while unable to take physical actions?
It's a supernatural ability, so it doesn't require any somatic or verbal components. You generally need LoS/LoE unless the effect specifically says you don't.

For the rest i have no clue. The closest analogue would be the Shadowdancer's Shadow Jump ability, which works as Dimension Door, but that would be up to your DM. As written it only requires shadows and isn't blocked by effects that prevent planar travel.

Second, I am looking for purchase-able sources of Sonic immunity.
Ring of Energy Immunity (ELH, 240,000gp) is the only one that comes to mind. There are probably other (and cheaper) options.

Third, in relation to this, I am looking for a way to utilize the protective properties of silence effects without loosing the ability to make listen checks. Basically, I like that silence breaks line of effect for sonic effects but don't like how it shuts of a character's ability to make listen checks. I doubt there's a way to make it work, but I thought I'd ask.
Not quite what you're looking for, but Nezram's Emerald Energy Shield (LEoF) makes you immune to most sonic effects. It doesn't get all of them but it does protect against Holy Word/Dictum/etc. which is probably what you're most worried about.

Is it possible to have the native subytype but not count as being native to the Material Plane?

Other than that one feat, how can one change what plane one counts as native to for the purposes of spells like dismissal?
Every creature has the native subtype on its home plane. If you're not from the material plane you won't have the native subtype there.
You can use a Rod of the Embassy (A&EG, 20,000gp) to count as always being on your native plane (if it's keyed to the right plane).
Some templates also change your native plane (Dark & Shadow, for example).

If the Plane of Faerie (MoTP) is in play, would Fey creatures then by default count as being native to there?
I'd think so, but it's up to your DM in the end if all fey are native to the PoF or if some are native to the material plane.

Similarly, if one encounters a creature native to the plane of faerie away from the material plane, does fact that the Plane of Faerie doesn't connect to the astral but only to the material interfere with dismissal type effects?
There's a list in MotP (p. 32). Neither Banishment nor Dismissal require the Astral Plane (or any other transitive plane).

Ger. Bessa
2015-11-08, 05:15 PM
About silence and listen checks, have you thought of clairaudience ? Silence centered on you protects you from [sonic] los/loe but you still hear...

About being native, I guess "that feat" is "naturalized denizen" from UA, the spelltouched feat ? That's the only one I know of but I could be missing one in a setting book (I don't know what the faerun feat "otherworldly" does precisely). SS might have a ritual for that too.

Deophaun
2015-11-08, 07:07 PM
In addition to clairaudience (which is somewhat expensive to get unless you cheese it through Trapsmith), undead eyes will also work, although you are considered stunned for as long as you're listening through the undead. Fortunately, switching back and forth is a free action.

ben-zayb
2015-11-08, 07:50 PM
Shackles of Silence from MIC affects its wearer with a Silence effect, and it can be taken off with a DC28 Escape Artist check. It's pretty bad for reflexive Listen checks, but at least you still have the option of making the skill check given enough time.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-09, 04:31 PM
Greater Crystal of Energy Resistance (I think) MiC.

Jowgen
2015-11-09, 06:42 PM
-valuable contribution to thread-

In regards to the Shadow Walk thing. Hmm, looking at its "hide in shadow" asepect, I personally think its a bit more similar to Tree Walk, which would take care of a lot of rule-ambiguity. Either case, thank you very much.

About silence and listen checks, have you thought of clairaudience ? Silence centered on you protects you from [sonic] los/loe but you still hear...

About being native, I guess "that feat" is "naturalized denizen" from UA, the spelltouched feat ? That's the only one I know of but I could be missing one in a setting book (I don't know what the faerun feat "otherworldly" does precisely). SS might have a ritual for that too.

Clairaudience you say? Hmmm... that could work in concept, since perception through magical sensors isn't blocked by Silence unless the sensor is within the silence. So, what is needed is a way to have a perpetual sensor outside of one's square that moves along. Really, a sensor on a stick going up from one's backpack or whatever might do. Is there any sort of obscure magical trinket that might work here?

And yes, that one be the one. I'll check SS.

Shackles of Silence from MIC affects its wearer with a Silence effect, and it can be taken off with a DC28 Escape Artist check. It's pretty bad for reflexive Listen checks, but at least you still have the option of making the skill check given enough time.

They do seem like the cheapest source of perpetual silence and come with a thing of limiting the area to only one square, which is handy. As to get around the part about not being able to use one's arms/legs... is "manacled" a defined game term? If not, it simply means "to confine (a person or part of the body) with manacles", so putting both parts of them around a single limb in a non-constraining way could still count provided one has lactose tolerance.

Still, leaves the issue to hearing while silenced though regardless.

Greater Crystal of Energy Resistance (I think) MiC.

That one only gives resistance 15 up to 75 points of prevented damage/day. :smallfrown:

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-09, 06:55 PM
Every creature has the native subtype on its home plane. If you're not from the material plane you won't have the native subtype there.

Incorrect. Only outsiders with a strong connection to the material plane have the native subtype. Native is retained when you leave the material and not gained by outsiders on their home planes unless they already explicitly have it.

ben-zayb
2015-11-09, 07:10 PM
Clairaudience you say? Hmmm... that could work in concept, since perception through magical sensors isn't blocked by Silence unless the sensor is within the silence. So, what is needed is a way to have a perpetual sensor outside of one's square that moves along. Really, a sensor on a stick going up from one's backpack or whatever might do. Is there any sort of obscure magical trinket that might work here?
Third Eye Sense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#sense) gives the psionic equivalent of Clairaudience/Clairvoyance at will, but the sensor is stationary so you have to reactivate the item.

Jack_Simth
2015-11-09, 07:36 PM
Third Eye Sense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#sense) gives the psionic equivalent of Clairaudience/Clairvoyance at will, but the sensor is stationary so you have to reactivate the item.
It is, however, at-will, only a standard action, and does not require Line of Sight or Line of Effect. Also "Command thought". Yeah, you can't make much use of it during a running fight, but normal walking and stuff? Not a problem, doesn't even give away it's use.

Jowgen
2015-11-09, 07:58 PM
It is, however, at-will, only a standard action, and does not require Line of Sight or Line of Effect. Also "Command thought". Yeah, you can't make much use of it during a running fight, but normal walking and stuff? Not a problem, doesn't even give away it's use.

This seems crazy enough to actually work. To my knowledge, perceiving a different location via magic does nothing to impair your normal senses, i.e. you don't stop seeing in front of you because of scrying. So using third eye sense on the immediate vicinity should basically give you a second set of eyes/ears. Realistically, this ought to give one hell of a headache, but no rules say so afaik.

So yeah, even ignoring the potential benefits of hearing/seeing from two different spots at once, as long as you keep moving the not-sensor so its close enough for you to hear/see your immediate surroundings, it should easily get around the lack of listen ability while silenced.

Manacles don't actually have defined effect, or stipulation on their use, so really, one ought to be able to wear the Shackles of silence as fashionable bracelets that don't take up a slot in order to get constant silence. And thus immunity to sonic damage and sonic effects. 30000 gp for the whole lot, plus the third eye sense is just a generally very powerful item worth having. This pleases me :smallbiggrin:

PraxisVetli
2015-11-09, 08:03 PM
There's a feat somewhere, maybe savage species? That gives a bump from resistance to immunity.
So buy an item of continual energy (sonic)resistance and for whatever gold the arms and equipment guide charges to put feats in items, put the feat in it too.
Kinda cheesy though, I'd run it by your DM.

atemu1234
2015-11-10, 12:24 PM
Naturalized Denizen from Unearthed Arcana can allow one to be treated as native.

Ger. Bessa
2015-11-10, 03:00 PM
Naturalized Denizen from Unearthed Arcana can allow one to be treated as native.

It was the feat in the OP.

I vehemently disapprove of the idea of using clairaudiance on a stick in the backpack, even if I was the one suggesting the spell. I refuse to be associated to the idea of using a selfie stick.