PDA

View Full Version : Guessing High Priest of Balder

2.5 cats
2015-11-08, 03:01 PM
Just a few observations:

Comic 998: Balder votes NO on destroying the world.
Comic 1000: The High Priest of Balder leaves the room (to fetch the demigod priests).
Comic 1002: The Priests who are in the room agree to non-interference in the Roy/Durkon fight.
Comic 1011: The High Priest of Balder Returns.

So effective comic 1011 we have a high priest in the room who is unaware of any non-interference pact, never agreed to it, and whose god voted NO on destroying the world. (And I image the priest personally wouldn't want to see the world end either.)

I'd seen lots of speculation about how Roy can defeat Durkon now. Some folks think Belkar has a role to play, but perhaps their chips are on the wrong halfling?

Morquard
2015-11-08, 03:59 PM
Considering Balder was the one that was "Uh? Huh? Oh right, I guess no?" I'm not so sure about that.

Heksefatter
2015-11-08, 04:06 PM
My personal guess as to what will happen now (and it's just my best guess, far from something I am sure of) is that Durkula's drinking the ushers could well come back to bite him in more ways than one. I can imagine if someone who was wandering about in the halls could discover the dead ushers and that could well have consequences for Durkula, even if it is technically not a violation of the "ceasefire" rules of the Godsmoot.

Morquard
2015-11-09, 01:26 AM
Also just because HPoH thought they're not protected by the Rules, doesn't mean they are in fact not protected.

Sylian
2015-11-09, 04:37 AM
Considering Balder was the one that was "Uh? Huh? Oh right, I guess no?" I'm not so sure about that.That was Balder though, Balder's high priest might be more dedicated to keeping the world intact. Anyway, I think part of the reason Rich decided to spend some time going "No, the high priests have a good reason not to interfere" is to rule out that they would. Others may aid (such as Wrecan), but ultimately it's up to Roy and the rest of the Order to solve this issue, or fail at solving it.

Quebbster
2015-11-09, 04:54 AM
Also just because HPoH thought they're not protected by the Rules, doesn't mean they are in fact not protected.

That would actually be a pretty cool twist. The HPoH reveals his new vampire lackeys and suddenly all the high priests turn against him.

Quartz
2015-11-09, 08:20 AM
Comic 1000: The High Priest of Balder leaves the room (to fetch the demigod priests).

The HPoB doesn't leave the room. There's that force field by the door. See panel 7 of #1005 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1005.html). He does, however, leave the lower chamber ('go to the top of the stairs').

2.5 cats
2015-11-09, 10:54 AM
The HPoB doesn't leave the room. There's that force field by the door. See panel 7 of #1005. He does, however, leave the lower chamber ('go to the top of the stairs').

A fair point, but recent comics very strongly suggest that the High Priest of Balder couldn't hear folks in the lower chamber, and vice-versa.

My personal guess as to what will happen now (and it's just my best guess, far from something I am sure of) is that Durkula's drinking the ushers could well come back to bite him in more ways than one. I can imagine if someone who was wandering about in the halls could discover the dead ushers and that could well have consequences for Durkula, even if it is technically not a violation of the "ceasefire" rules of the Godsmoot.

That's a great thought. A variant of that is what if there's nobody left at this point but vampires, so those "demigod high-priests" all come charging in hungry for blood and everything goes higgledy-piggledy. (Plus Durkon would be in major violation of the rules.) I guess we'll find out soon enough.

brian 333
2015-11-12, 09:10 AM
Durkula appears to be a master of the rules, so I wouldn't hold tightly to any concept that required his not understanding them or making an error in their interpretation. On the other hand, I am not so certain what the new vampire thralls are up to. My guess is that they are vamping as many of their fellow high priests of the demigods as they can.

Quebbster
2015-11-12, 09:18 AM
Durkula appears to be a master of the rules, so I wouldn't hold tightly to any concept that required his not understanding them or making an error in their interpretation. On the other hand, I am not so certain what the new vampire thralls are up to. My guess is that they are vamping as many of their fellow high priests of the demigods as they can.

Wouldn't to them much good - without Malack's staff the demigod priests would just be corpses for three days before they rise as vampires.

Rift_Wolf
2015-11-12, 01:59 PM
I've been thinking about what 'the next phase' might be. My thought is that Durkon isn't putting all his chips in one pile. If the vote goes against him (which is still possible, even if Hel found Secret moot hax) then HpoH could go after the gate himself, along with his Vampire buddies, to destroy it first. The smug Snake that he is, he probably thinks he can beat Xykon to the Punch. Once the gates destroyed, the Moots decision is meaningless; world gets destroyed in ten minutes. Not as satisfying as appearing at the moot and beating the good guys with their own rules, but it gets the job done.

KorvinStarmast
2015-11-12, 02:05 PM
I get a feeling that this HPoB is actually Elan disguise. The inane entrance announcement of free cake is sooo Elan ....

dtilque
2015-11-12, 04:04 PM
At one time, before I realized that the current battle was only going to involve Roy, Durkula and Durkon, I thought Belkar was going to encounter the HP of Baldur when he was at the top of the stairs. I thought that might be interesting, since Belkar has not interacted with any other halflings in the strip so far. Not sure exactly what I expected, but that's the point of reading the strip....

schmunzel
2015-11-12, 04:23 PM

standard Vampire takes 3 days to create.

While the HPoH might have used the stave to hasten the process (how many uses of the spell does the staff give ? )
they cannot create any more vampires in a meaningful time.
Plus it might take resources from HPoH (Spell Slots?) to create them

So Im not sure if there are Vampires in the first place.

He might have drained them just for temporary Hit Points

sch

Malfarian
2015-11-12, 05:21 PM
I fear the next few strips will be a cut away to Xykon and then connect back up here.

137beth
2015-11-12, 05:37 PM
I get a feeling that this HPoB is actually Elan disguise. The inane entrance announcement of free cake is sooo Elan ....

Utterly preposterous! Elan is a pie person. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0561.html)
Also, he wouldn't be allowed in.

EmperorSarda
2015-11-12, 06:02 PM
If the High Priest of Baldur helps, then he reveals that Baldur's good looks do kill. Which might just reveal that the last and final gate is Baldur's Gate.

wingnutx
2015-11-13, 01:41 AM
If the High Priest of Baldur helps, then he reveals that Baldur's good looks do kill. Which might just reveal that the last and final gate is Baldur's Gate.

A den of stinking evil!

Jankmaster98
2015-11-13, 02:29 AM
Cover your nose!

brian 333
2015-11-13, 05:37 AM
Wouldn't to them much good - without Malack's staff the demigod priests would just be corpses for three days before they rise as vampires.

Oops! I was unaware that the staff had anything to do with Durkula's reanimation, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0878.html) thinking it was The Giant's house rule on vamping that voided the three day rule. I even read that page when it was new!

On the other hand, Durkula had the staff in his possession when he vamped the clerics in the hallway, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0995.html) so they may well be up and around, neutralizing the other clerics of the demigods and natural forces and ideologies and whatnot.

Zwiebelchen
2015-11-13, 05:45 AM
When Tiax rules, breeches shall not ride up so wedge-like!

Quebbster
2015-11-13, 03:16 PM
Oops! I was unaware that the staff had anything to do with Durkula's reanimation, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0878.html) thinking it was The Giant's house rule on vamping that voided the three day rule. I even read that page when it was new!

On the other hand, Durkula had the staff in his possession when he vamped the clerics in the hallway, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0995.html) so they may well be up and around, neutralizing the other clerics of the demigods and natural forces and ideologies and whatnot.

Yes, it's possible there are vampires lurking about outside the Moot. Their number won't increase though.