PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Warshaper and Monster Natural Weapons

Zzachary37
2015-11-08, 04:10 PM
Hello there, long time lurker and DM here. I am building a Warshaper Shifter, and I was wondering if the Warshaper ability would allow me to emulate natural weapons of Monsters, such as the Howler's Quills.

Also what would you guys recommend for an entry class? I was thinking just Barbarian, but would it help me more to go for a ToB martial class? Any advice is appreciated, as I don't get to do a whole lot of character creation, as I usually get stuck being DM (Which I love but I don't get to play much).

sleepyphoenixx
2015-11-08, 05:35 PM
At least one level of Barbarian is a good idea. Not only can you get pounce, it also qualifies you for Shifter Savagery.
If your DM allows it you can also take the second level to get Improved Trip without needing the prerequisite. It works out by RAW, but some DMs don't allow two different totems.

After that it depends on what you want. Dipping into a martial adept class is better when you have a few more levels. Doing it at level 3-4 will restrict your maneuver choices a lot.
You could take two levels of Fighter for Dungeoncrasher - it's pretty solid even if you don't get the level 6 upgrade, especially if you can get into pre-errata Weretouched Master later and get Knockback.

If you still want ToB you can then finish up the build with Bloodclaw Master.

daremetoidareyo
2015-11-08, 05:37 PM
At least one level of Barbarian is a good idea. Not only can you get pounce, it also qualifies you for Shifter Savagery.
If your DM allows it you can also take the second level to get Improved Trip without needing the prerequisite. It works out by RAW, but some DMs don't allow two different totems.

After that it depends on what you want. Dipping into a martial adept class is better when you have a few more levels. Doing it at level 3-4 will restrict your maneuver choices a lot.
You could take two levels of Fighter for Dungeoncrasher - it's pretty solid even if you don't get the level 6 upgrade, especially if you can get into pre-errata Weretouched Master later and get Knockback.

shifter savagery?

Does that work with totemist extra attacks?

sleepyphoenixx
2015-11-08, 05:40 PM
shifter savagery?

Does that work with totemist extra attacks?

It grants your natural weapons improved crit chance and a 2 step size increase for damage when you're raging and shifting at the same time.
And yes, it works with all natural weapons.

Zzachary37
2015-11-08, 05:49 PM

Thanks! I didn't know about the Shifter Savagery, that's an awesome feat right there!

I don't think he'll allow me to get two totems, but he has said he'll allow me to use the pre-errata Weretouched Master, so I'll probably go for that.

daremetoidareyo
2015-11-08, 06:01 PM
Thanks! I didn't know about the Shifter Savagery, that's an awesome feat right there!

I don't think he'll allow me to get two totems, but he has said he'll allow me to use the pre-errata Weretouched Master, so I'll probably go for that.

You might be able to swing it if you throw in 2 levels of totemist. I mean, Your whole thing is totems. Switching a totem from lion to wolf aint nearly as big a deal as shifting it from sphinx to tarrasque, which your other class can do willy nilly.

nijineko
2015-11-08, 06:41 PM
Hello there, long time lurker and DM here. I am building a Warshaper Shifter, and I was wondering if the Warshaper ability would allow me to emulate natural weapons of Monsters, such as the Howler's Quills.

generally speaking, yes.