PDA

View Full Version : Domains and other tidbits for a cleric of BATMAN!

daremetoidareyo
2015-11-08, 05:15 PM
I just finished reading Grant Morrisons Supergods. He talks about how the mythology of comic book heroes are a modern stand in for heroic myths of theseus, ulyssis etc.

Which got me thinking, since the mythological heroes are sometimes statted up for divine worship, what would a cleric of bat man look like? What 4-5 domains would he grant access to. Favored weapon? Turn undead???

I figure he'd have like a vengeance domain if such a thing exists, or maybe a wealth domain. What else, what instead?

Alignment? NG or CG or what?

Don't plan on using this, so no rush.

AriLance
2015-11-08, 05:20 PM
Maybe the Good, Darkness, Death, Protection, Knowledge (or Mind) domains?

daremetoidareyo
2015-11-08, 05:21 PM
Maybe the Good, Darkness, Death, Protection, Knowledge (or Mind) domains?

Death? Please Explain.

AriLance
2015-11-08, 05:25 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of such a cleric being able to access the "Death Ward" spell, and going off of the goddess Wee Jas (with the death domain), she is a sort of place that souls can go to in the afterlife and be reincarnated (something Bruce might do, like how Terry in Batman Beyond is his "genetic" reincarnation in a way).

goto124
2015-11-09, 03:08 AM
Batman Wizard.

I'll show myself out.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-11-09, 10:43 AM
One or two domains each related to crafting/artifice, vengeance/justice, and physical combat/strength. Also the Bat domain, naturally, featuring SMI-SMIX (bat swarms only, and you don't control them). Favoured weapon: cricket bat. His clerics turn undead, because batman, whether he's properly Good or not, really wants to be Good (or at least anti-Evil), much like St. Cuthbert.

I'm not sure what the official alignment for batman is, but I doubt he's lawful, on account of the whole 'lone bat-wolf with no-one to answer to' vibe he's got.

Red Fel
2015-11-09, 03:04 PM
I just finished reading Grant Morrisons Supergods. He talks about how the mythology of comic book heroes are a modern stand in for heroic myths of theseus, ulyssis etc.

Which got me thinking, since the mythological heroes are sometimes statted up for divine worship, what would a cleric of bat man look like? What 4-5 domains would he grant access to. Favored weapon? Turn undead???

I figure he'd have like a vengeance domain if such a thing exists, or maybe a wealth domain. What else, what instead?

Alignment? NG or CG or what?

Don't plan on using this, so no rush.

First, I would actually break Batman out into two separate deities - the Caped Crusader and the Dark Knight. The CC takes non-Evil followers, while the DK takes non-Chaotic followers. Both punish the naughty, but the CC focuses more on fighting Evil to protect Good, while the DK focuses on fighting Evil to support society and prevent anarchy and crime - a focus on the L instead of the G.

The CC's domains would be Good, Knowledge or Inquisition, Hope, and Strength. The DK's domains would be Law, War, Inquisition, and Retribution.

Followers would wear masks and costumes to terrify criminals, who are ever cowardly and superstitious lot.

goto124
2015-11-09, 10:51 PM
I doubt he's lawful, on account of the whole 'lone bat-wolf with no-one to answer to' vibe he's got.

*insert "argument over what Lawful and Chaotic actually means" here*

Red Fel has an interesting solution though! :D

Douche
2015-11-10, 08:34 AM
Batman can't be contained by something as simple as an alignment chart

https://writingiseasier.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/batman-alignment-chart.jpg

daremetoidareyo
2015-11-10, 10:37 AM
Batman can't be contained by something as simple as an alignment chart

https://writingiseasier.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/batman-alignment-chart.jpg

HAHA. Seriously though, batman is like CG with LE tendencies.

Cikomyr
2015-11-10, 06:10 PM
Hmm..

Domains: Shadows, Knowledge, Trickery, City, Planning

Favorite Weapon: Hooks & Ropes or Throwing Knives (bat knives)

Id go with a strange exception to one rule: Batman Cleric always heal (positive energy) but they always Rebuke/Control undeads. They are not allowed to keep Undeads as their thralls. The only purpose Control Undead has is use the undeads as a momentaneous tactical advantage. Undeads have to be disposed of following the end of a fight.