PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Name something you've always wanted to play but haven't gotten to yet.

Ralanr
2015-11-08, 08:56 PM
A psionic pugilist. For a few years I've wanted to play a character that makes forcefields around his hands so he can punch things he shouldn't.

How about you all?

themaque
2015-11-08, 09:02 PM
Friend of mine converted MASS EFFECT into Savage Worlds.

Fantasy AGE that just came out

L5R 4th edition (I've only run this edition, never played.)

DEADLANDS for Savage Worlds (I'm a fan of the first and like what I've read about this incarnation)

A 5th ed game that lasts more than 1 session due to real life?

Actually, I've had about 5 game sessions in the past year so... I would be happy with almost anything these days if I could play semi-regularly.

JNAProductions
2015-11-08, 09:06 PM
Soul Eater

Draconium
2015-11-08, 09:26 PM
Soul Eater

Heh, that's be something I'd like to play...

As for me, I've always wanted to play an 3.5 epic-level character that I leveled up myself (from around level 5 as a starting point). Technically, I have done that, but only because of the Deck of Many Things, and it was barely epic, so I don't count that character. My group doesn't really stick with campaigns long enough for it to happen, though.

Ralanr
2015-11-08, 11:37 PM
Soul Eater
I wonder how that'd work.

Quertus
2015-11-08, 11:51 PM
Myself (no, actually, I played myself for half a session in a home-brew conceptually similar to Rifts. Like a human in Rifts, I hid and cowered and prayed a lot.)

A Marilith.

The ruler of a nation - in a game where that matters.

A deity in a deity campaign. (have played deities "pretending" to be mortals)

A necromancer... that has the ability to create permanent undead for free starting at 1st level... and control an infinite number of them. (Probably could have done all this in 2e)

A Marvel sorcerer. Especially if a _____/sorcerer (mutant, alien, deity, or, heck, robot/sorcerer would be fun).

A competent sniper... in a game where that wouldn't be boring for either myself or the rest of the party.

A WoD Mage up to 5+ in each sphere... in a single campaign.

A 2e D&D wild mage... up from low level... to True Dwoemers. (OK, kinda did this, but he went 3e, where wild magic just isn't the same, and epic spells aren't true dwoemers)

A blind character... with no extra senses to make up for it...

A sentient set of armor (etc).

A version of D&D that has easy to understand rules (3e (+?)) that is as fun as earlier editions.

raygun goth
2015-11-08, 11:52 PM
I wonder how that'd work.

I made it work like Transformative Familiar out of the Pathfinder mythic material.

And it technically wasn't Soul Eater, it was, um. "Essence Feaster," yeah, that's it.

A Marvel sorcerer. Especially if a _____/sorcerer (mutant, alien, deity, or, heck, robot/sorcerer would be fun).

I named mine "Hex Machine."

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-11-08, 11:57 PM
A long-running FATE game.

Edge of the Empire (or one of the sister lines)

A blasty mage in d&d (assuming running them as a DM doesn't count)

An optimised tier 1.

PbP.

Fumble Jack
2015-11-09, 10:25 AM
Fantasy Age

13th Age

Any Nwod game, where I'm a player & not the go choice for ST

ffg Star Wars , where I'm a player & not running the game

I want to try out Numenera

Actually get to finish a Shadowrun or Pathfinder game, as a player before the game fizzles out before the 3-5th session.

nedz
2015-11-09, 11:05 AM
Soul Eater

Ah, so you'd like to play a downtrodden peasant in a party full of Lords and High magic wielders. Good call.

Segev
2015-11-09, 12:12 PM
A necromancer in a game that lasts more than 4 sessions and gets to the point where I have actual minions.

A Fair Folk in Exalted.

Vampire: the Masquerade.

An illusionist.

A beholder mage.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-11-09, 12:43 PM
I have a notebook worth of characters for D&D 3.5/PF that I haven't got to use because either they are too powerful for the party at the time (which is weird because very few of them have caster levels and none of them are even a full caster) or we aren't currently playing said system.

Edit: Actual character I REALLY want to play (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17503269&postcount=187) (Well the build, not necesarilly Kirito)

Pex
2015-11-09, 01:09 PM
A psion.

Started playing one, but then the group broke up. My new group (Pathfinder) doesn't care for psionics since it's 3rd party and cannot be convinced it's not overpowered despite all the usual arguments. Working on it and made some progress, but it's still a long shot.

Segev
2015-11-09, 01:44 PM
Oh, and I have a concept for a 3.5 D&D character that I probably never will get to play because the mechanics are hard to figure out in a balanced fashion:

Wizard 17-20 (somewhere in there) who, prior to the game's start, helped his boon companions since 1st level defeat a BBEG in part by disjoining the BBEG's artifact of doom. Sadly, this cost him his mystical might.

Now, he's hiding from old enemies and away from his party because he doesn't want to hold them back. He's got the skills and BAB of a high-level wizard, but none of the spellcasting prowess. He's posing as a rogue (and may have earned a level of it by game start), and joins the party pretending to be lower level than he is (since, in many ways, he functionally is).

Mechanics are tricky because his BAB and skill ranks are inappropriately high for any level at which he could otherwise meaningfully contribute.

Dgrin
2015-11-09, 01:57 PM
Master of Many Forms. Moreover, if possible, Divine Minion straight into Master of Many Forms, skipping useless for me classes and spellcasting I am not going to use for that concept.

antymattar
2015-11-09, 02:40 PM
Everything. none of my friends want to DM... :(
I just wana play a rogue, maybe a skillmonkey rogue, or a cleric. I wana play a gosh damn fighter. I just wana play SOMETHING. Sure I can DM any of those, but it's not the same.

Spore
2015-11-09, 02:45 PM
A decent Han Solo hommage in ANY medium that is not Star Wars.

Calvin and Hobbes as Pathfinder Summoner and Eidolon.

A Bard: With so many talented writers and well-read people in my group I always feel like the least qualified one for that.

A serious dwarf character that doesn't drown in stereotypes: I've had it with perma-drunk, Warhammer-Slayeresque, smelly short humans that do not do the Dwarven legacy, their intricate lore and their reverence of hard work and their ancestors justice. Good lord, am I pissed when I see those absurd creations my fellow players stick together. They seem to make Dwarfs when they want a justification to dump Charisma and want a character with emotions as deep as a puddle of mud.

A Bear Totem Barbarian: I've always wanted to mix Barbarian and Druid fluff but nothing powerful enough for my taste ever comes up.

No seriously, a Dwarf.

A Wizard, just a wizard: With all the suffering through the first levels until almost ultimate power gained in the mid-teens. With being almost useless for a whole day because you didnt prepare for fast paced combat but for a day of scrying, teleporting and a few blank slots that you lack the time to fill.

Red Fel
2015-11-09, 02:50 PM
I have a whole slew of characters I've written out for games like D&D, PF, Ironclaw, and GURPS. Characters I haven't gotten the chance to play, characters who sit unused, waiting for a chance in the spotlight.

But what's been really itching in the back of my brain for some time, believe it or not, has been DBZ. I would seriously like to play a DBZ-style character, flying around, punching things, firing lasers, having visible personality defects, maintaining a truly frightening hairdo...

That sort of thing.

Cluedrew
2015-11-09, 03:09 PM
Shadow Run or Eclipse Phase

I realized that I have never played a modern or sci-fi role-playing game of any significant length. OK, one but it was post-apocalyptic with giant monsters we fought with swords, shields and the occasional ranged weapon. And none of those even happened recently. So I would really like to get out of fantasy for a change of pace and out of the two I have heard the most good things about are Shadow Run and Eclipse Phase.

Rater202
2015-11-09, 03:54 PM
I'd like to play a Proper hivemaster(home brew class on one of the Wikis. you control Bugs ans turn into a giant bug, specific bug traits come from feats that scale with level)

I've kind of always wanted to play a dragon type character(A proper dragon, not a half dragon or a dragon wrought kobald, though turning into a full dragon over time would be fine)

I've also got some concepts for dungeons the dragoning(Homebrew paraody game combining elements from a load of stuff

I've also, to be honest, got a few ideas for a Free Form game Based on the Nasuverse(Drawing most strongly from Fate/ and Tsukihime), and a character that's a homunucalus turned Demi-servant.

Psykenthrope
2015-11-09, 04:02 PM
-Psychic Warrior.
-Psionic Archer.
-Soulknife.
-Pathfinder Alchemist.
-Warforged Artificier.
-Telekineticist.

MrZJunior
2015-11-09, 04:29 PM
A bard who uses a barrel organ as an instrument.

nedz
2015-11-09, 05:14 PM
I have a list of about a dozen campaigns I'd like to run. As for characters: I tend to use character concepts I'd like to try out as NPCs, now this is not quite the same as running such a character through the levels — but it's quite close.

Lord Raziere
2015-11-09, 05:36 PM
*ahem*
heroic orc, Artificer, pulp scientist, dragon, heroic demon or heroic tiefling, cyborg, pirate, transhuman, Sidereal Exalted, Infernal Exalted, Alchemical Exalted, tech priest, any technological Mage from Ascension or Awakening, anything involving Fae, Duk'zarist, Daimah, cutoff alien hivemind scout, psionics, FF Red Mage, anime-style badass, shapeshifter, DnD warlock, Oath of Ancients Paladin, genasi, good necromancer, gorgon seeking cure for petrifying gaze, hacker, Adepta Sororitas, Commissar, foxfolk, homestuck Prince of Time, red/blue or red/black mana planeswalker, psychic chainsaw-sword wielding bulky armored super-soldier, thrice-cursed Vetala Nephilim, A Liminal Exalted, a Getimian Exalted, an Exigent, a Raksha, sheltered former slave-assassin Night Caste wielding a sword that wants to destroy all evil, heck just any Anima Beyond Fantasy game, and a long-running Eclipse Phase game.

Rater202
2015-11-09, 07:12 PM
*ahem*
heroic orc, Artificer, pulp scientist, dragon, heroic demon or heroic tiefling, cyborg, pirate, transhuman, Sidereal Exalted, Infernal Exalted, Alchemical Exalted, tech priest, any technological Mage from Ascension or Awakening, anything involving Fae, Duk'zarist, Daimah, cutoff alien hivemind scout, psionics, FF Red Mage, anime-style badass, shapeshifter, DnD warlock, Oath of Ancients Paladin, genasi, good necromancer, gorgon seeking cure for petrifying gaze, hacker, Adepta Sororitas, Commissar, foxfolk, homestuck Prince of Time, red/blue or red/black mana planeswalker, psychic chainsaw-sword wielding bulky armored super-soldier, thrice-cursed Vetala Nephilim, A Liminal Exalted, a Getimian Exalted, an Exigent, a Raksha, sheltered former slave-assassin Night Caste wielding a sword that wants to destroy all evil, heck just any Anima Beyond Fantasy game, and a long-running Eclipse Phase game.

You know, any or all of those bold ones would have been perfect for that Nasuverse game I mentioned to you.

Lord Raziere
2015-11-09, 07:20 PM
You know, any or all of those bold ones would have been perfect for that Nasuverse game I mentioned to you.

Really? Do tell.....

themaque
2015-11-09, 07:37 PM
You know, there I another character I had I haven't had a chance to play...

Sir Percy Dribble Paladin who was forced into Undeath due to contractual obligations to a another morally neutral church.

Using an off Skeletal templet in 3.5 he had full control of himself, He just happened to be... undead skeleton.

I had great visuals, background, and personality but the GM was put off about... well you can guess. So I made an archer instead who I accidently made a little to powerful.

The GM did say he regretted not letting me play him, as in hindsight he was pretty fairly balanced and the right campaign/GM just never came up again.

Micah Watt
2015-11-09, 08:02 PM
A decent sci-fi game!

My group are hardcore fantasy players. I got them to play one session of Star Wars (because it was Star Wars), and that was it.

TheOctopus
2015-11-09, 11:59 PM
I've got quite a few of these.

- Anything steampunk.
- Fantasy AGE, specifically Titansgrave.
- A game of Rogue Trader that lasts for more than one session.
- A Star Wars game that doesn't devolve into "we're all going Dark Side!"
- Save Game, the Fate Core video game RPG.
- Eclipse Phase
- A Savage Worlds game that lasts for more than one session.

Ralanr
2015-11-10, 12:01 AM
I've got quite a few of these.

- Anything steampunk.
- Fantasy AGE, specifically Titansgrave.
- A game of Rogue Trader that lasts for more than one session.
- A Star Wars game that doesn't devolve into "we're all going Dark Side!"
- Save Game, the Fate Core video game RPG.
- Eclipse Phase
- A Savage Worlds game that lasts for more than one session.

I prefer dungeon punk myself...why can I not have my magically powered trains!?

blacklight101
2015-11-10, 11:08 AM
Awakened squirrel rogue/fighter. Because yes.

Red Fel
2015-11-10, 11:16 AM
Awakened squirrel rogue/fighter. Because yes.

... Tippy-Toe (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Tippy-Toe_%28Earth-616%29)?

Thisguy_
2015-11-10, 11:22 AM
Regenerator with a split personality whose EVUL side kicks in to up his regenerative power. (GURPS)

Religious barbarian to a grand spirit encompassing domains of a lot of different gods (since the barbarians' religion is different than that of most), who isn't very smart, wise, or even charismatic, but was chosen by his tribe to spread the word because he was really good at fighting and asskicking = authority. (D&D 5th)

Extremely angry old wizard posing as senile after his reality-warping power was lobotomized away. Thought dead, he in fact survived their attempt on his life; earns sorcerer powers because his old abilities weren't stripped perfectly, but mostly works on relearning his craft so that he can torture and then erase from existence those who wronged him. Very, very lawful evil. (D&D 5th)

Bartholemew Helder, NOBLE Fist-Wizard of the Helder Line (who introduces himself that way EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.) Once a 5th ed character, this guy turned out to be incredibly fun to play. I converted him to PF, now he's a meta-shocking grasp wizard/fighter/EK waiting to happen. A wizard who plays as a front-line fighter with decent AC and HP and great damage, but more importantly, a GORGEOUS bald, bearded, musclebound gentleman of magical persuasion whose pecs seem to dance as he speaks. His mage armor makes his abs glow with a subtle light. (Pathfinder)

A Witch. She's got an agenda! (No ****.) A healbot character who, upon reaching 10th level, gets Twin Soul and starts "Magic Jar"ing people whenever she gets too old. By putting them in a goat and letting it digest their soul while she gets the body. Yay healer! (Pathfinder)

Not a Witch. A spellcaster of the bardic persuasion who never speaks a word, communicating only through illusory images, either simple symbols with clear meaning or caricatures of characters performing actions. Uses a stick with a bunch of little hollow balls with sand in them (like a rain stick) for an instrument. She dresses like a witch and acts out the role in plays, but is in fact NOT up to anything sinister despite the motifs. (D&D 5th)

Several others; I make characters with some measure of frequency, but don't have enough campaigns to play them all in.

NovenFromTheSun
2015-11-11, 01:54 AM
An...RPG really :smallredface:.

For characters, I was thinking:

A mage gunman with a talent for finding uses for the random clutter he comes across.

A "warrior-bureaucrat" who's main thing is pushing papers and getting people to do stuff, but can keep up in personal combat if need be.

If a Star Wars game, a force sensitive without enough power to make it as a Jedi, but enough to be noticeable.

Steampunkette
2015-11-11, 04:25 AM
Night Shift. A tabletop game where vampires, werewolves, and flesh golems work with the Seattle PD to keep the streets safe from what goes bump in the night.

Black Earth. A zombie apocalypse tabletop game where Vampires and Werewolves both have to rally with humans to protect and tend to their dwindling food source.

Clockwork Symphony. Tabletop steampunk set in San Francisco, where Mad Science crashes headlong into Civil War sentiment while Nikola Tesla was still a pimpled teenager.

Deffers
2015-11-11, 05:38 AM
Exalted.

5th Edition DnD.

A rules-not-quite-lite RPG setting that has some mechanical crunch to it. Think a slightly more expansive Microlite d20 or something. GURPS Lite looked like it'd be it, but it seems pretty... limited, too, in its own way.

The Glyphstone
2015-11-11, 07:29 AM
A knight by the name of Sir Ahm N'Ahm, of the house of N'Ahm.

chainer1216
2015-11-11, 08:31 AM
Fairy paladin with celestial corgi mount. They'd be super upbeat and optimistic about everything.

Grog, the orc who felt the call of the sea and left his people to join a whaling vessel then gets shanghaied into being a pirate. Fights with a harpoon and gauntleted punches.

Of also love to give some sort of cyperpunk game a try.

blacklight101
2015-11-11, 08:44 AM
... Tippy-Toe (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Tippy-Toe_%28Earth-616%29)?

Makes me wish I was more into comics. That may be a good approximation though.

Lord Torath
2015-11-11, 09:21 AM
Spelljammer.

Robotech (Invid Invasion/Third Invid War time frame).

I've got several Shadowrun (2E) characters I'd love to play, also. Unfortunately, I'm usually the GM.

nedz
2015-11-11, 09:22 AM
A knight by the name of Sir Ahm N'Ahm, of the house of N'Ahm.

Sir Ni de Ni, of the order of Ni, surely? (Tends to say Ni a lot)

Steampunkette
2015-11-11, 09:27 AM
The new Storm Sorceror for 5e as a hal-elf genasi.

Telonius
2015-11-11, 12:56 PM
A Gnome Bard/Cleric/Divine Prankster. This little guy knows that comedy is Serious Business, and dreams of one day attaining Final Enlightenment and comprehending the True Cosmic Joke.

Hunter Noventa
2015-11-11, 01:19 PM
I've been waiting ages to play Battle Century G (http://gimmicklabs.blogspot.com/) Good thing that'll be our next campaign when we get tired of playing D+D Detectives.

I've also wanted to play a Warforged Warlock for a very long time.

Silus
2015-11-11, 02:56 PM
D20 Warcraft in a cross-faction-save-the-world scenario.
Rifts Robotech (Whilst playing "We Will Win" and "The Sky Is Falling" on repeat)
A followup to the last Star Wars game I played in.
A properly evil anarchist type character.
A Sam Vimes expy.

Milodiah
2015-11-11, 05:04 PM
A Sam Vimes expy.

I'm running practically a campaign of that. All the PCs started off as the poor faceless NPC city watchmen sods that most adventurers disrespect the crap out of.

Personally, I'd just like to play a continuous campaign. I have two groups, and both of them have very short attention spans when it comes to sticking to a system...sadly, that usually means also not sticking to a campaign. There have been some very interesting games recently.

Some examples I'd love to have continued playing:

2nd Edition AD&D, an absolute twit of a nobleman grey elf wizard who wandered into a town plagued by underhanded guild politics and declared he'd get it all sorted out right quick before he headed off on that expedition he was leading.

Rifts, a freelance spy who tended to act as both the straight man and the face for the party, as well as providing his knowledge to the mostly combat-focused party when the GM veered off into stealth missions.

Traveller, as a myriad of characters; my favorite being a naval gunner who, in his spare time, essentially became a Shadowrun-style rigger running multiple remote-control combat drones. I also had a retired Solomani naval officer who, surprise surprise, was also a SolSec informant. Poor guy killed himself after an assassination mission ended up killing 749,999 other people...

I also find it very frustrating to actually run games with one of my groups because the guy who usually GMs is an intense powergamer as a player. It's not that he goes out of his way in-game to get the upper hand, nor does he do it out of any particular bad spirit, but he is one of the best janky character-builders I have ever met, so the characters he ends up putting down have this very annoying special quality about them. Most of them don't look overpowered or broken, at least not so much that they will ruin the fun of the game, but then the first time they really step up he pulls off some combination his devious little mind picked up on that technically isn't against the rules, and usually isn't even against the general spirit of them either. It all pulls together to form an unpleasant taste in the mouth of anyone who is GMing for him, because they usually realize anything strong enough to take his character out will by extension probably be strong enough to be a campaign-killing nuke, while anything balanced against the rest of the party will be brushed aside by him while the rest of the party looks on.

So, yeah...I can be bitter about that sometimes.

GPuzzle
2015-11-11, 05:40 PM
D&D 4e, I've always wanted to play as Hulk Hogan.

I kid you not, I actually have a build for it.

Telwar
2015-11-11, 08:33 PM
I've really always wanted to play Exalted.

Feng Shui 2 looks fun as hell.

And I'll never get to play the minotaur cleric||ranger/monk werebear I built as 4e was ending.

tgva8889
2015-11-12, 12:30 AM
A 3.5/Eberron-style Changeling. Not the Pathfinder Changelings, which are inspired by the actual history of the word, but the Doppelganger-lite, no LA race from MM3 and the Eberron campaign setting. I wonder if anyone has updated that race to Pathfinder, now that I think about it... I don't really care about class, or really system, I've just always wanted to roleplay one.
"
A bard who wants to be present at historical events for little reason other than to say she was there.

Any prestige-classed character, as I've never done that before. Almost did once, but didn't actually end up doing it because the party needed something different.

A spontaneous caster, because I've played prepared casters and they're awesome but require a lot more bookkeeping.

Any race with LA, which I've never wanted to play due to the downsides and having to figure out how to make it work. Actually, really any exotic races.

One of those non-typical caster classes, like Shugenja or Wu Jen or potentially one of the alternate power source classes like Binders or Essentia-based classes. Just totally never had the opportunity to play any of those types of characters.

Khedrac
2015-11-12, 07:25 AM
Ars Magica

goto124
2015-11-12, 09:13 AM
A penguin.

Cutest things ever.

Hunter Noventa
2015-11-12, 12:45 PM
Rifts Robotech (Whilst playing "We Will Win" and "The Sky Is Falling" on repeat)

I've played this, well, it was more Rifts Macross (We found some forbidden homebrew for stuff from the later Macross stuff) and it was pretty epic. We ended the campaign by headbutting an eldritch abomination with our unholy fusion of a stealth frigate and Macross-Quarter cruiser and firing all the cannons into its face. it was pretty cool.

Shame that it was rifts though, that system man, just, that system.

Silus
2015-11-12, 01:45 PM
I've played this, well, it was more Rifts Macross (We found some forbidden homebrew for stuff from the later Macross stuff) and it was pretty epic. We ended the campaign by headbutting an eldritch abomination with our unholy fusion of a stealth frigate and Macross-Quarter cruiser and firing all the cannons into its face. it was pretty cool.

Shame that it was rifts though, that system man, just, that system.

I'd be down for something like that but only if the guy running it was more interested in facilitating awesome stuff like that as opposed to making things super challenging.

Also, while Rifts is pretty....not good as a system, it beats the pants off of RoleMaster. *Shudders*

Spore
2015-11-12, 03:44 PM
A penguin.

Cutest things ever.

http://orig11.deviantart.net/83bd/f/2014/043/1/5/ygotas_valentines_card_1_by_edible_food-d7679t4.jpg

DigoDragon
2015-11-12, 04:02 PM
A pony Shadowrunner.

I've got a good bit of 4th edition modified with pony races and ideas off-and-on over the past year. Little ponies working for Megacorps where this week's rumor is that Sunshine was sent to the glue factory for leaving the mainframe unencrypted when that runner team hit last week. It's more believable than last week's rumor about Summer in accounting being replaced by a changeling. I mean, how silly is that? Summer is a sweet mare and everyone loves her. I can't imagine no one would notice her being replaced. There's also an AI running around that thinks it's the spirit of the legendary Princess Celestia, but there's something off in the way it talks. Oh, and did you check out the commercial for the new cyberware hoof that comes with retractable fingers? I totally want to get a pair of those. Stupid unicorns showing off that they can levitate their morning cup of coffee. Humph!

Fable Wright
2015-11-12, 04:49 PM
Ars Magica, Changeling: the Lost, or Mummy: the Curse.

Because those systems sound awesome.

Mr. Mask
2015-11-12, 04:52 PM
I was considering starting an RPG book club, where we'd play a short adventure through a series of RPGs, for the very reason I want to try a whole bunch of games.

Everyone has mentioned many of the games that I want to play. From Ars Magica to Twilight 2013 and Aces and Eights. I'll add in Harnmaster and The Dark Eye while I'm at it.

Ralanr
2015-11-13, 12:29 AM
A pony Shadowrunner.

I've got a good bit of 4th edition modified with pony races and ideas off-and-on over the past year. Little ponies working for Megacorps where this week's rumor is that Sunshine was sent to the glue factory for leaving the mainframe unencrypted when that runner team hit last week. It's more believable than last week's rumor about Summer in accounting being replaced by a changeling. I mean, how silly is that? Summer is a sweet mare and everyone loves her. I can't imagine no one would notice her being replaced. There's also an AI running around that thinks it's the spirit of the legendary Princess Celestia, but there's something off in the way it talks. Oh, and did you check out the commercial for the new cyberware hoof that comes with retractable fingers? I totally want to get a pair of those. Stupid unicorns showing off that they can levitate their morning cup of coffee. Humph!

I've been wanting to play regular shadowrun...actually anything that's urban fantasy.

DuxAstrorum
2015-11-13, 06:33 AM
I have loved shadowrun for quite a while now, but every campaign has been in Seattle or a nearby town. I'd love to play a game either in russia, germany or ireland. Although, I'm not sure if ANY of my characters would fair well overseas.

Fri
2015-11-13, 06:56 AM
A cat supernatural detective.

No really, either using Call of Cattulhu or Secret of Cats system (Check those system, they're interesting).

And have you read Carole Nelson Douglas' Midnight Louie stories? Well, especially the original short story. Cat as noir detective just sounds so... cool.

the_david
2015-11-13, 08:24 AM
Thar Thunderhammer/Bor Bliksembijl.
A dwarf ranger who was working as a mercenary/bounty hunter to make enough money for a bride token, so he could marry the love of his life. Upon his return he found his ancestral home destroyed and his clan missing. He vows that he will find his surviving clanmembers, their stolen relics (2 craghammers/dwarven waraxes) and kill the monsters responsible for this atrocity.
I can make it work in 3.5 or 4e D&D, but it works best in a sandbox and that's not really the kind of game we play.

Joe the Rat
2015-11-13, 08:57 AM
Well, Palladium Robotech, at least. Our big problem was the players. GM is dropping an Invid Scout into a Macross era game (which is like holy plot point!), but once the fighting was over, everyone else was like "meh."

For them, it was "Palladium Battletech."

I've got me some love of Dragon Shamans (and DFAs), but only ever got 2 sessions in. I didn't get to use my Godzilla sound bite! I've got this non-Dragonwrought Kobold Dragon wanna-be that I'd love to try out sometime.

Lord Torath
2015-11-13, 09:30 AM
My favorite Robotech mecha are the Macross veritechs, but I really like the story line of Invid Invasion. But the old VF-1s aren't as tough as the VAFs and VBFs.

ComatosePhoenix
2015-11-13, 10:10 AM
A halfling that Duel wields hand crossbows.

I almost pulled it off, but never got a chance to get the second crossbow.

The Fury
2015-11-13, 10:29 AM
For a while I've wanted to play a character in a medieval fantasy game that has a prosthetic iron hand, kind of like the one that Götz Von Berlichingen had.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/G%C3%B6tz-eiserne-hand1.jpg

The fingers could be moved by manipulating them with the other hand, so an iron hand like this one could hold objects but it's still rather clumsy. Hard to say why, but I think it'd be cool.

I also thought it might be cool to play a character with a terminal illness of some kind. I never got the chance to do it, mainly because in the kinds of RPGs that most people play that would either require a crazy amount of Hand-Waving or just flat out wouldn't work.

DragonBaneDM
2015-11-13, 10:36 AM
I've always wanted to let loose as a high level Wizard in an older edition, like 3.5. Really just use all of the knowledge about the system I've read about on here and in guides and put it to use as the archetypical Archmage.

Mindtour
2015-11-13, 05:47 PM
Fallout 4.

LnGrrrR
2015-11-15, 01:48 AM
Doomtown/Deadlands. I love steampunk.

Also, what the guy above me said.

Ralanr
2015-11-15, 02:06 AM
Fallout 4.

Haha, I know what you mean. Will be a while for me.

DigoDragon
2015-11-15, 08:48 AM
Fallout 4.

Haha, I know what you mean. Will be a while for me.

Ditto. Though I also could use a second Fallout RP in my life. I'll even play without the ponies if it matters. :smallbiggrin:

Velaryon
2015-11-15, 01:45 PM
D&D Characters:

I really want to play a silver dragon. Not a half-dragon, not a dragonborn, not a dragon shaman, dragonfire adept, etc. An actual, straight-out-of-the-Monster-Manual silver dragon; Large size or bigger, breath weapon, alternate form, spellcasting, the whole thing. Heck, it doesn't even have to be a silver, that's just my first choice. Unfortunately the ECL on them is just too damn high (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5SwyTvAHw)

I want to play an archer who doesn't suck. That requires creativity in 3.5 for some crazy reason, but I have a few build ideas. I've used them as NPCs, even helped other people do it, but it never seems to come up myself.

Other Games:

Deadlands - I don't know why but it just seems like a hard sell to any of the people I regularly game with.

WWE Know Your Role - Sure, it's the corniest thing ever, but that's why it looks fun. I've owned the book for many years, and taught the game to the group I was gaming with several times, but I've never actually gotten to play it myself. Every time, the same thing happens: I help everyone else build characters and schedule one session where I help them playtest the game. Most of the group is totally on board, but there's one person who absolutely will not play, and as a concession to that person we end up playing something else. Every. Damn. Time. :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:

I'd like to play a Star Wars campaign where the party doesn't end up fantastically rich, owning their own heavily tricked-out capital ship and with all the best equipment credits can buy. But somehow, this happens every time we play. Either people decide to randomly turn smuggler for a bit and get their hands on a full cargo of spice to sell, or we steal a ship way more easily than it should ever happen, or someone gets lucky in high-stakes gambling. It's fun, sure, but it's not really an authentic Star Wars experience to me.

Inevitability
2015-11-15, 02:13 PM
A character (probably wizard) who just remains at the party's home base, occasionally visiting nearby libraries. He'd use magical communication to keep in touch with the party, and mainly contribute to combat through summoned creatures (which he subsequently buffs) able to teleport at-will (such as Archons and several kinds of Devils).

Of course, such a character would be very hard to play.

teaontoast
2015-11-15, 03:38 PM
A goblin warlock who channels his eldritch blast through a piece of metal crafted to resemble a gun. Goblins with guns! MAGIC guns! How is that not cool?

DM: There's a flash of brilliant light, and a shining winged figure appears in fr--
Me: I shoot it with my gun! Hell yeah!
DM: What? It's a celestial! You had no reason to do tha--
Me: 20! I crit the flying dude!
DM: That's completely out of character! Why would you--
Me: Hey, can you hand me those d6s?
DM: Oh for-- let me see your character sheet a min--
Me: No, all of the d6s. Gonna need lots. Gonna be sweeeeet.
DM: Please, just let this guy talk! I wrote like six pages of dialogue for hi--
Me: *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll*
DM: Wow.
Me: 115 damage!
DM: Why are you like this?
Me: Chaotic Evil bro. I don't shiv. :smallcool:

Ralanr
2015-11-15, 03:42 PM
A goblin warlock who channels his eldritch blast through a piece of metal crafted to resemble a gun. Goblins with guns! MAGIC guns! How is that not cool?

DM: There's a flash of brilliant light, and a shining winged figure appears in fr--
Me: *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll* *roll*

I'm now convinced that warhammer orcs can be played as 5e warlocks. Just grab a stick and channel eldritch blast through it.

LnGrrrR
2015-11-17, 09:09 AM

This is the reason why I don't usually allow Chaotic Evil characters in my games...

Inevitability
2015-11-17, 10:49 AM
This is the reason why I don't usually allow Chaotic Evil characters in my games...

I'd just disallow this specific kind of CE. There are plenty of ways to be CE without being wantonly destructive like this.

LnGrrrR
2015-11-17, 11:07 AM
I'd just disallow this specific kind of CE. There are plenty of ways to be CE without being wantonly destructive like this.

Yes, but I find most people who want to play CE want to play the full CE. Sure, they'll pretend they're just a little selfish... until a demon pops up and says, "Hey, want this +3 sword? All you have to do is lead one of your fellow adventurers into a trap so I can steal his soul!" Then the CE guy is telling the LG Paladin about this nice little coffee shop he found in this little travelled portion of the nearby town...

Talion
2015-11-17, 11:30 AM
So, first and foremost, I've never had a proper go at playing a Ranger. My last successful attempt was probably 5+ years ago....in RIFTS...as a Wilderness Scout...with a DM who gave us no chance to get away from Chi-Town, in which I was forever conveniently lost. Other than that, every ranger (specifically archer ranger) that I've played has failed to be used for more than two sessions due to the campaign falling apart. It's been disappointing.

Second, I'd really like to try to Summoning, as heavily influenced by FF IV's Rydia as possible. Summoning the Dragon-God of the Eidolons from the moon to nuke my enemies (at high level of course) sounds like fun! As does summoning a lot of other things in general. Remember: Friendship is magic! :smallbiggrin:

SkipSandwich
2015-11-17, 12:46 PM
Any Mutants & Masterminds game

An Intelligent Item (preferably a weapon of some kind)

An Orc Wizard

A "wrestler" built around using Dungeoncrasher fighter to bull-rush people into the floor to represent body slams. (not valid under RAW, would require DM cooperation)

Talion
2015-11-17, 01:51 PM
An Intelligent Item (preferably a weapon of some kind)

Funny story regarding that. I was playing a greedy dwarf rogue, but I died quite brutally in the first session. Well, turns out the spell that killed me (it was on a scroll the party used in desperation when we got ambushed by...well...an army) also had the power to bind souls to gems. So I ended up possessing a diamond and....a few sessions later, after various hijinks, it turns out my character had become an artifact now known as the Jewel of Avarice. Which had illusion and compulsion effects, on top of being basically indestructible. It was great for tormenting the character who used the scroll (ironically enough an orc wizard) and, by extension, 'killed' my character. Because she wouldn't go away. Not for long anyway. Even when given to a dragon she was back within a week, because the dragon couldn't deal with the insanity of a DIAMOND trying to claim the rest of the treasure trove as 'its' loot. Or there was the time they threw it overboard into the sea, only for a Kraken to put it back on deck....

My replacement character took to hocking the Jewel of Avarice at pawn shops to fuel her drinking habit, knowing that it'd find a way back to the party.

That being said, I have an unnatural proclivity in causing items to spontaneously gain sentience. So, rather bewilderingly, I've had the chance to play THOSE more often than simple things like a core ranger. But it is great fun.

Oh, and I'd like to try TOON sometime. I've got the rulebook, but no one who wants to join in for some reason...

DigoDragon
2015-11-17, 02:01 PM
Oh, and I'd like to try TOON sometime. I've got the rulebook, but no one who wants to join in for some reason...

Ah, good memories of TOON. My brother once ran a pretty good one-shot mystery adventure where the villain had "The Dip" from Who Framed Roger Rabbit and we had to uncover his motives for killing specific toons.

Thisguy_
2015-11-17, 02:51 PM
Death Knight in denial. We were going to do an Evil campaign, and he was going to be clad in enough armor (and old enough) to look (and smell) the part of a creepy, living person under there. When confronted about it, he'd either be evasive or bold-facedly purport that he was a living human. Another party member agreed to be an enabler for this behavior, would've been pretty funny.

He wasn't going to be too smart, but he certainly would have a presence about him, even if it was one of a particular kind.

SkipSandwich
2015-11-17, 03:32 PM
I've always wanted to play through a full Fall-to-Redemption Paladin arc, but never got the chance, mostly due to only playing shorter pick-up games rather then full campaigns as I don't have a regular gaming group.

Raimun
2015-11-17, 09:15 PM
A dragon.

A knight riding a dragon.

A cool non-combative.

A robot renegade cop.

... Actually, any kind of robot.

A Bard. (Yes, from D&D, etc.)

Fonzie.

The Great Detective (I've been a hardboiled detective).

A ronin.

A jedi.

An orc barbarian. (Totally different from mere half-orc barbarian.)

An Adventuring Archaeologist.

A regular anthropologist.

A police chief... who is also a "cowboy cop".

A stereotypical Bond-villain with lots and lots of minions.

An actual giant.

An actual giant made of water. (Separate things)

Some characters from different sketch shows, like Monty Python, etc..

****-ton of different kinds of superheroes.

The Most Interesting Man in the World.

JetThomasBoat
2015-11-22, 11:19 AM
Anything in Mutants and Masterminds. I have a lot of super hero ideas, but no one will run it around here.

A PC in anything. I'm the only one willing to initiate a game, so naturally I have to DM/GM it.

I've not yet gotten to play anything in 5e. Monks, wizards, and wild magic sorcerors are about the only things in it that don't interest me.

A binder in 3.5. Got to play one during one session in close to 20th level game, but the DM blatantly ignored many rules about magic items at the constant nagging of his girlfriend, so it was kind of a joke. Although it was kind of funny that even though her fighter had spent like two million in gold to get as much magical protection as possible, I could usually just change my vestiges around and be more prepared for the situation. "Oh, you need a water breathing potion? I'll just take a minute to switch my things around." "Oh, we're fighting aboleths and you're gonna drop some gold on a ring of freedom of movement? Yeah, let me just see who has freedom of movement."

I really just would like to play a binder from a low level.

Other 3.5 classes I always wanted to try...a scout, a hexblade with some fixes I've only recently found, a dragonfire adept, an archivist, a dread necromancer, a beguiler, a cleric of a god I actually like (maybe Mask or Farlanghn or the Traveler), a sorceror, a bard I take seriously and play from low level to high, a Seeker of the Song, an Arcane Hierophant, a scout/Blade of Orien, an artificer, something from Incarnum, a gestalt character.

Qwes'tyonaer Treeface -(pronounced like questionare) A super cliched elf druid who always talks about how much better and closer to nature elves are than everyone else, but not in a disdainful way, but like a super condescending, patronizing way. Ideally, this would be in a game with my friend's wife, because she is super into elves and to this day has only played one non-elf character.

A super convoluted class combination, like taking 3 wizard levels, 3 cleric levels, and three warlock levels (3.5) so then I can start taking levels in Mystic Theurge (wizard/cleric), Eldritch Theurge (warlock/wizard), and Eldrithc Disciple (warlock/cleric). I actually did some tinkering and I think you might also be able to throw in druid through Arcance Hierophant and Fochlucan Lyrist and bard through FL and Ultimate Magus or something? I don't quite remember. But you could do some combination where you end up with like 9th level spells in several classes without having seventeen or eighteen levels in each class. I think making Ven diagrams helped with figuring it out.

I'd love to play a PC in Eberron. A Gatekeeper druid, a Blade of Orien, an orc paladin of Kalok Shaash(I think I spelled that right) And inquisitive.

Tobarth Gilleray - A young man who comes from a long line of mages, but being the youngest of five children, he was always treated as an afterthought and slacked off and acted out for attention. Then, in wizard school, the girl he likes gets kidnapped by some mustache twirling villian and he decides to re-dedicate himself to his studies so he can learn magic and save the girl!
But then he decides mastering magic is too hard, but he's always been bigger and stronger than his older brothers because he would moonlight as a dock worker to save money when he had been considering running away from his family's mansion, so he decided he would give martial training a try.
Basically he would be a super un-optimized wizard turned fighter who's kinda dumb and apathetic for a wizard, but thinks highly of the common man from having spent years surrounded by foppish mages. And he can swing a sword rather well, and knows a few magical tricks to help him do it.

A character that is trained in the arts of stealth but is also trained to kill with anything that happens to be on hand, with emphasis on doing it messy. Honestly, my inspiration for such a character was when I played Hotline Miami. In the fantasy idea, basically, he was a young man going to prison, but the kingdom's intelligence network instead decided to train him. They were fighting a war with the neighboring elves and it wasn't going well, so as a form of psychological warfare, these prisoners where trained to blend in in occupied territories by day, and by night, do what they could to disrupt the occupation, but largely they were supposed to murder occupiers and sympathizers in brutal fashion while wearing stylized monster masks made out of animal hides. I'd like to play one of these people who is trying to live his life after that war has ended.

For 5e, a character concept I thought of was an human Eldritch Knight who was raised by an elven warrior and a dwarven wizard, who are a couple, and both women. He was staying with an uncle while his two moms went on an adventure, but they never returned, and now that he's of age, he's looking for what happened to them.

Sorry for the length of post. I have a lot more, actually.

TheRedFox201
2015-11-26, 07:53 PM
I've always wanted to play a dedicated grappler. Not in dnd 3.5 or the like (God(s) forbid). Just want the feeling of power that comes from moving an opponent.

Related:
A sharkman "paladin" uses a coral sword and his natural toothy scales to be a powerful grappler.

The Shadowdove
2015-11-26, 10:47 PM
Kobald bard.

Fri
2015-11-27, 07:02 AM
Ugh, I'm gming an mnm2e game now and that reminded me on something I always want to play on that system, for a lighthearted superhero game, especially something in the lower pl level.

Spinkicker. A superhero with just one super power. He/she can spinkick really, really well.

That idea branched into two things. One is that a hero that pile everything into one power, his spinkick. The hero has middling stats and few feats (a couple improved critical and power attack at least), and one power, the spinkick, but you pile every power imagineable into that power, and not as alternate power, but as additional ones. Example that I can think: Strike, Disintegrate, Stun, Drain, Nauseate... But the hero has no other power or movement power at all. I imagine one of the premise of a game with this character is other characters trying to position and protect The Spinkicker so he can kick the (flying, submerged, invinsible, whatever) villain on the face.

The other branch is, The Spinkicker can do all the thing by spinkicking. So the hero will have this main spinkick power, something decent. Maybe Strike+Disintegrate. Then you put various alternate power there and rationalize it as different kind of spinkicks. For example, stun, deflect, flight (he spinkick so fast that he became an organic helicopter!), heal (he spinkick your ailments away/he spinkick your pressure points to heal you), and what else.

Sigh, please someone start an mnm game so I can play this character.

Wraith
2015-11-27, 09:34 AM
A 3.5 Cleric who can use his Turn ability on everything. A Sovereign Speaker (Cleric variant from Faiths of Eberron) with some unusual Domain Choices and a few specific spells could do it, but I just don't have a group. :smallfrown:

Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play: An ex-Blood Bowl player (Think NFL where you get sacked by a Minotaur and the Goblin Blitzer comes at you with a steampunk Chainsaw....) who has fallen on hard times and is forced to turn to adventuring to get by. His only possessions are his 'Masterwork Platemail Armour' (his Blood Bowl helmet and shoulder pads) and all of his combat skills are variants on tackling people to the ground and then stomping on their face while 'the referee isn't looking'.

AD&D: Minotaur Paladin of Bhaal, the God of Murder. Purely whimsical, it just sounds like fun.

deadEarth: Anything. The system is so inherently broken and the character generation process so unbelievably borked that the entire game would consist of rolling up characters and then everyone trying to decide which one was playable, let alone sensible or competent.

Starcofski
2015-11-27, 11:53 AM
In no particular order of interest:

A Psionic Thrallherd version of Artemis Fowl (Complete with Thrall Butler)
Awakened Artificer Tyrannosaurus with a respectable academic repertoire
Charr of the Iron Legion
Krogan Biotic, first Krogan Council member
Anthro Whale with Monkey Grip shenanigans and dual oversized greatswords
Chinese Technomancer Troll
Doctor Doolittle
A Dragonite (little beyond that, but somewhat half-baked currently)
And a Half Dragon that doesn't suck mechanically (or have heavy level adjustments)

Fable Wright
2015-11-27, 01:18 PM
And a Half Dragon that doesn't suck mechanically (or have heavy level adjustments)

You could do this in 5e with permission of the DM. I just wish you luck in finding such a GM.

Silus
2015-11-27, 01:27 PM
A Pre-Burning Crusade World of Warcraft game with a heavy Sword Art Online/Log Horizon plot where the players play themselves transported into the game.

*Hefts like half the D20 Warcraft books with pride*

Starcofski
2015-11-27, 04:48 PM
You could do this in 5e with permission of the DM. I just wish you luck in finding such a GM.

I am that GM; just need to playtest this variant and check it's balance.

But then I need to find another GM who would allow to be a player.

Continued: Megamind (from the dreamworks movie)
Saitama (Because when combat means nothing, social interactions get real interesting)
A tachicoma
A Magical girl, maybe as a raptor (Senpai please let me shred your face to show my love!~)
And a spy game closer to Tinker, Tailor than Bond

DaveSonOfDave
2015-11-27, 04:52 PM
After playing Dark Souls as a Deprived and Bloodborne as Waste of Skin, I want to do something similar in D&D, where my character is statistically weaker and generally more useless than the rest of the party, but then trying to find a way to keep him alive, make him be useful, and hopefully level up to the point where he might actually contribute something to the team.

BootStrapTommy
2015-11-27, 06:13 PM
A character not motivated by money

A non-Mandalorian

A Druid

A Barbarian

A water-based Cleric

A non-blasty caster

Dark Cider
2015-11-27, 07:16 PM
Soul Eater

Would love to play a Warhammer fantasy, or 40k campaign.

Also interested in playing one of the mythic tiers in pathfinder.

Fable Wright
2015-11-27, 07:53 PM
Saitama (Because when combat means nothing, social interactions get real interesting)
Apocalypse World can do this, I think. Not sure, but I recall hearing the option is there.

After playing Dark Souls as a Deprived and Bloodborne as Waste of Skin, I want to do something similar in D&D, where my character is statistically weaker and generally more useless than the rest of the party, but then trying to find a way to keep him alive, make him be useful, and hopefully level up to the point where he might actually contribute something to the team.

Can't you level up rather quickly as Deprived/Waste and get on level, more specialized playing fields in just a couple of hours?

Otherwise, depending on edition, you might be able to either a) use another player's cohort as your new PC and let them take a new one, or b) take the average stat array of 10s and 11s and then level on that. Or a stat array that's all under 10. And then, just let your levels/proficiency bonus/ability score improvements/feats/item boosts speak for literally all of your bonuses.

DaveSonOfDave
2015-11-27, 08:09 PM
Can't you level up rather quickly as Deprived/Waste and get on level, more specialized playing fields in just a couple of hours?

You definitely can; it's just a little harder at the start, and takes you a little longer to get your levels up to the point where you can start using the better weapons.

Tetraplex
2015-11-27, 08:29 PM
A werewolf detective

A robot butler that's lost its adventuresome master and latches onto the party

A foppish metal oracle/bladebound scarf dancer magus. Lots of fancy clothes, doesn't like getting dirty, can kill you with every article of fine silk on him.

A pixie Titan Mauler barbarian

A magical girl

Mothman
2015-11-27, 09:09 PM
After me and my friends saw the Brad Pitt movie "Fury" we wanted to do a medieval/fantasy/steampunk tank campaign where we all have some menial task that would help power the "tank"

so i had this idea of a bunch of dwarves and gnomes in a tank fighting in different areas with different terrain challenges and huge colossal things to fight

so far i've planned the tank itself but the actual combat needs to be worked out

Jay R
2015-11-27, 10:30 PM
A low-Smarts Toon who routinely attempts the absurd. In TOON, if you try something clearly impossible (an elephant trying to run through a mousehole, for instance), you roll on your Smarts, and if you *fail* the roll, you succeed at the task.

A gentleman or noble in Flashing Blades (I've only played one campaign. Jean-Louis was a great Rogue, but the game is built around higher society.)

A knight in Pendragon.

A 2E dual class Fighter 5/Wizard 6, if I ever start a game at 60,000 xps or more. [Basically, for a trifling investment in early hit points, the wizard's first five hit dice are d10s, and he can wield any magic weapon. But the character only really comes into his own at 56,000 xps.]