PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Science Fiction PC Game?

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-05-29, 05:52 AM
I'm a big fan of VSF (Jules Verne and the like), and I've been looking for a VSF PC game- there just don't seem to be many. The closest I've come is with Rise of Legends, but it isn't the same. Can anyone make any recommendations?

Tengu
2007-05-29, 06:12 AM
Arcanum? There is also magic in it though.

Om
2007-05-29, 06:12 AM
Its not exactly science fiction but Arcanum is set in a steampunk environment.

Driderman
2007-05-29, 06:13 AM
Well, there is Arcanum... Just a shame the game sucks

Om
2007-05-29, 06:16 AM
Well, there is Arcanum... Just a shame the game sucksPffft its merely flawed. Okay... very flawed. I'd still recommend it to anyone as a classic though.

Driderman
2007-05-29, 06:23 AM
Pffft its merely flawed. Okay... very flawed. I'd still recommend it to anyone as a classic though.

Flawed? It's the Mr. Hyde of computer rpgs

Om
2007-05-29, 06:33 AM
If Mr. Hyde was a brilliant RPG in a fascinating setting, which positively oozed innovation, but was somewhat let down by poor execution... well then I'd agree with you.

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-29, 06:45 AM
Fear my army-trained halfling summoner!

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-29, 06:50 AM
I'd suggest Thief II: The Metal Age for a certain Steampunkness.

Well, it has gas-lamps, robots that can only be killed by putting out their boiler and a submarine. It's some kind of bizare mix of victorian and medieval in that everyone still uses bows, arrows, swords and hammers.

Still, if you don't like stealth games it's no help.

Driderman
2007-05-29, 07:30 AM
If Mr. Hyde was a brilliant RPG in a fascinating setting, which positively oozed innovation, but was somewhat let down by poor execution... well then I'd agree with you.

I'm not entirely sure we're talking about the same game here.
Actually, I'm pretty sure we couldn't be...

Om
2007-05-29, 07:36 AM
Aside from a few major issues (both in concept and execution) I found Arcanum to be a highly enjoyable game. In particular the steampunk setting (with the conflict between industry and magic) was fantastic.

What did you not like about the game?

kjones
2007-05-29, 08:52 AM
Wait for On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_The_Rain-Slick_Precipice_of_Darkness.) to come out.

Were-Sandwich
2007-05-29, 09:25 AM
Try Space: 1999. You can get it form Home of the Underdogs.

Tengu
2007-05-29, 09:29 AM
Ah, Arcanum. Here's what I didn't like about it:
-bugs, bugs, bugs
-magic being much more powerful than technology
-depending on your build, everything is either ridiculously easy or absurdly hard (the latter most of the time if you're a techie)
-ridiculously slow travel time on the world map, which is (absurdly) much lower if you decide to walk on your feet, without using the map
-ugly graphics: it was released by the same people who made Fallout, yet looked much worse!
-it gives you little incentive to continue with the main plot

Apart from that, it was good. But those points were enough to keep me from finishing this game.

Try Space: 1999. You can get it form Home of the Underdogs.

Isn't it Space: 1899?

Were-Sandwich
2007-05-29, 10:32 AM
<_<
>_>

Might be.:smallredface:

Vorkuta
2007-05-29, 10:36 AM
Isn't it Space: 1899?I thought "Space 1889"..

Tengu
2007-05-29, 10:38 AM
Let's call it "Space 1888, +-111 years" and be done with it.

Driderman
2007-05-29, 06:13 PM
Aside from a few major issues (both in concept and execution) I found Arcanum to be a highly enjoyable game. In particular the steampunk setting (with the conflict between industry and magic) was fantastic.

What did you not like about the game?

Well, aside from what Tengu already mentioned, the cut-n-paste dialogue choices were horrible and I found the plot uninteresting and dull, perhaps mainly because plot progression was slow. Also, character building was annoying, especially since you had a wide range of useless choices that were interesting on the theoritical level but no good in the game
I've played the game several times but I've never had the patience to actually finish the game. I have it, it's not even mine but the mate I borrowed it from back when it was new didn't want it back. Why? Because he thought it was horrible as well

Wojiz
2007-05-29, 06:20 PM
Final Fantasy VIII isn't quite steampunk, but it has that kind of feel to it.

It's an interesting setting I like a lot myself, I saw a movie trailer that used it as a setting when I was watching POTC3. Unfortunate it's so rare.

J_Muller
2007-05-29, 07:49 PM
FFIX is nicely done steampunk.

Corlindale
2007-05-30, 03:41 AM
I personally love Arcanum, played it several times with various different builds.
I think it's one of the most well-done RPGs in term of getting the freedom of choice aspect integrated in the game - rarely have I experienced such a diversity of dialogue options to accommodate various playstyles, and many quests came with multiple solutions. I'm also quite impressed that they did a whole subset of dialogue options for stupid characters - complete with NPC reactions to you being a blithering idiot.
I was particularly impressed by the way Arcanum manages to allow for Evil characters, something that is too often neglected in CRPGs. Many quests have evil solutions - and on more than one occasion the evil solution will be the most straightforward one. This is probably the only CRPG where I tried being Evil on my first playthrough, and actually found that it worked.
I liked the NPCs in this game, too, though it is a bit sad that only a couple of them have voice-acting. Virgil seems to be the most fleshed-out, and it's fun to turn him evil...

Character development allows for much freedom, though it is true that magic is considerably more powerful than technology, particularly early in the game. Once you get your hands on some of the nastier schematics, technology starts to catch up - but still I think the techie weapons consume a bit too much ammunition, at least the ones that run on batteries.

I found the game-world interesting, with a lot of fun details and sidequests, not to mention the Master Quests for each and every skill. There's plenty of stuff to do, and locations to explore.

The main issue with the game is its bugs. You will probably run into a few of these, though with luck it won't be too much of a problem. I haven't run into some seriously game-breaking ones myself, but I've heard of people who have. Hopefully the latest patch will resolve some of these issues.

Om
2007-05-30, 04:59 AM
Ah, Arcanum. Here's what I didn't like about it:
-bugs, bugs, bugs
-magic being much more powerful than technology
-depending on your build, everything is either ridiculously easy or absurdly hard (the latter most of the time if you're a techie)
-ridiculously slow travel time on the world map, which is (absurdly) much lower if you decide to walk on your feet, without using the map
-ugly graphics: it was released by the same people who made Fallout, yet looked much worse!
-it gives you little incentive to continue with the main plot
The first three I'd fully agree with (the harm spell was badly broken) and I'll add in one of my own - the stupid XP system didn't reward you for completing quests or killing things so much as it did hitting people repeatedly. If you wanted to level up then you had to travel around the wilderness hitting, but not killing, animals.

But the travel time (?) and graphics were non-issues while I felt that the plot progression was very nicely handled.

Despite this I love that game. Its character, setting and dialogue are far above the norm in an RPG. The little things were great - like how your appearance had a tangible effect on gameplay (with different dialogue options available) - and to my mind they more than make up for the major flaws.

Well, aside from what Tengu already mentioned, the cut-n-paste dialogue choices were horrible and I found the plot uninteresting and dull, perhaps mainly because plot progression was slow.Each to their own. I do wonder what you mean by "cut-n-paste dialogue" though.

Also, character building was annoying, especially since you had a wide range of useless choices that were interesting on the theoritical level but no good in the gameI very much disagree. in every game there are some skills that are better than others but there were very few "duds" in Arcanum.

Driderman
2007-05-30, 07:01 AM
Each to their own. I do wonder what you mean by "cut-n-paste dialogue" though.

Generic (and poorly written for that matter), recurring dialogue options.

Corlindale: I assume you have never played Fallout I & II then?
The only freedom of choice I found in Arcanum was the freedom to break the main plot with a rude comment or two, essentially making it impossible for me to advance the plot just because of a few insults.
Seemed to me that the the "diversity of dialogue options to accommodate various playstyles" were simply nothing more than rude, polite, racist or stupid option, with the predictable outcomes thereof.

One thing I liked about the game was when my Half-orc Bandit intimidated Constable Owens which raised his reaction to me, but when the conversation was over it fell. Nicely done I thought. Unfortunately, that was the only character in the game where that technique worked.
Every other person I wanted to talk to, my vicious half-orc bandit had to grovel, beg and kiss ass to even get to ask a question.
Diversity of dialogue, indeed!

NB: To each their own of course, if you like this game by all means continue to do so, I just don't understand how you can praise it so much, honestly

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-30, 07:27 AM
One thing I liked about the game was when my Half-orc Bandit intimidated Constable Owens which raised his reaction to me, but when the conversation was over it fell. Nicely done I thought. Unfortunately, that was the only character in the game where that technique worked.
Every other person I wanted to talk to, my vicious half-orc bandit had to grovel, beg and kiss ass to even get to ask a question.
Diversity of dialogue, indeed!

Morrowwind does the same thing. Except Intimidation and threats are based off the same skill as complementing so there's no point.

Driderman
2007-05-30, 07:45 AM
Morrowwind does the same thing. Except Intimidation and threats are based off the same skill as complementing so there's no point.

...And it's not as if Morrowind is a particularily good game, but at least it's consistent on that particular account

Om
2007-05-30, 07:50 AM
Generic (and poorly written for that matter), recurring dialogue options. *Shrugs* I had absolutely no issues with the dialogue. Aside from the commoners everyone major character seemed to have individual conversation trees, many of which were extremely interesting. You could, for example, get into a lengthy and thought provoking discussion on Dwarven philosophy with the Dwarven chief/king.

Diversity of dialogue, indeed!You do know that the responses you get are directly related to your charisma/appearance? If you had been a beautiful elf then NPCs would have fallen over themselves to provide you with helpful information.

Driderman
2007-05-30, 07:59 AM
*Shrugs* I had absolutely no issues with the dialogue. Aside from the commoners everyone major character seemed to have individual conversation trees, many of which were extremely interesting. You could, for example, get into a lengthy and thought provoking discussion on Dwarven philosophy with the Dwarven chief/king.

You do know that the responses you get are directly related to your charisma/appearance? If you had been a beautiful elf then NPCs would have fallen over themselves to provide you with helpful information.

Yes I do know, my point was that a sword-wielding, gun-toting half-orc with a mean streak a mile wide who could rip off a persons head with his bare hands might actually be able to intimidate people, instead the only choice was to grovel, beg and blubber like a whiny child

Corlindale
2007-05-30, 11:16 AM
Corlindale: I assume you have never played Fallout I & II then?

I have. Love them both, for many of the same reasons that I like Arcanum. Great diversity in character building, good dialogue, quests with multiple solutions.
I've not tried playing a traditional bully, so you may very well be right that the game does little to accommodate such a playstyle. I do recall using intimidation on some occasions, but I found that the most efficient way of forcing people to divulge information was to kill them and conjure their spirit, an option which is of course not available to all character builds or all alignments. I agree that more attention could have been paid to traditional intimidation.
Still, I remain impressed by the dialogue in Arcanum, and the attention to detail with regards to very specific situations. Of course it is not as impressive as that of Planescape, which is in a class entirely of its own, but as CRPGs in general go I think the conversations are very diverse and fleshed out.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-05-30, 02:15 PM
I'm looking for for a game where you can really use some of the stuff, like airships... Are there any airship games? I remember a mod for Unreal Tournament 2004 called Air Buccaneers, which is the same idea only technology is a few hundred years back.

Driderman
2007-05-30, 03:22 PM
Corlindale: I tried the Dark Necromancy thing, yeah. That was somewhat amusing I admit. I've played the game with several builds as I am wont to do with RPGs, an ogre fighter/mage (which is very much a winning build), half-orc ranged/technologist, Elven charisma/mage and lot of others. The game simply couldn't keep my attention, I always stopped playing it around the time I reach the Stillwater/Dark Elves areas...

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree... Although I might install it one of these days, give it another chance and see if I find it anymore interesting

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-30, 03:37 PM
I'm looking for for a game where you can really use some of the stuff, like airships... Are there any airship games? I remember a mod for Unreal Tournament 2004 called Air Buccaneers, which is the same idea only technology is a few hundred years back.

Crimson Skies has airships, but I don't like that sort of thing so I don't know how good it is.

Final Fantasy has airships for getting around but I'm sure that isn't what you want.

Driderman
2007-05-30, 08:01 PM
You could try and find the old Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace, although that's just a Spelljammer computer game based on the Forgotten Realms, rather that Victorian Sci-Fi. Honestly. I think you'll be hard pressed to find any game that fits your bill better than Arcanum... And both Spelljammer and Arcanum are sub-average games, in my opinion at least.

If you also want advice on PnP stuff, try finding Paris: The Spectral City and the rule books that go with that, that should be pretty much what you're looking for and Paris: TSC is a very interesing a well-written 3rd party D20 book

Assasinater
2007-06-01, 01:41 PM
If Arcanum is sub-average, I seriously wonder which games can be marked as average (though I recognize it's flaws alright). Not every game is a classic like Fallout, you know.

Driderman
2007-06-01, 08:27 PM
If Arcanum is sub-average, I seriously wonder which games can be marked as average (though I recognize it's flaws alright). Not every game is a classic like Fallout, you know.

Well the singleplayer version of Neverwinter Nights was pretty damn average