PDA

View Full Version : Conan in 5e

Ardantis
2015-11-09, 04:18 AM
The Hyborian Age thread got me thinking about Conan and how he'd be statted out in 5e. I've read a decent amount of the early comics, so here are my thoughts:

Conan is a single-classed Barbarian in 5e. Backgrounds account for his other skills and abilities (mainly Stealth proficiency.)

Conan is probably level 8-10. He has single-handedly defeated dinosaurs and giants, but he has not travelled to other planes of existence.

He probably has the Criminal background, given his shady past, bad relationship with certain empires, and interesting contacts. This also accounts for his Stealth proficiency.

Conan is proficient in Athletics and Survival, alternately Athletics and Intimidate.

Conan rolled ridiculuosly well for his physical stats, and is above average for all his mental stats (particularly Charisma, at least a 14.)

Conan is a Frenzy barb in a feat-less game. He mostly rages unless facing a magic-user, in which case he Frenzies for the immunity to mind affecting spells. Also his Charisma is beneficial here.

Conan prefers Two-Handed Great Weapons and no armor (helps with Strealth!)

Thoughts?

Malifice
2015-11-09, 05:44 AM
Rogue (thief) 4/ champion fighter 4/ Barbarian (berserker) 5

Tavern brawler feat. Expertise in athletics and survival.

Initial stats: S16. D14. C16. I8 W10. Ch10. Currently: S20, C16

JellyPooga
2015-11-09, 06:38 AM
Conan is a single-classed Barbarian in 5e. Backgrounds account for his other skills and abilities (mainly Stealth proficiency.)
Single Class Barbarian could about do it, but I'd be tempted by Champion Fighter with a 2-level Barbarian dip.

Conan is probably level 8-10. He has single-handedly defeated dinosaurs and giants, but he has not travelled to other planes of existence.
Agreed. Around level 8-10 seems about right.

He probably has the Criminal background, given his shady past, bad relationship with certain empires, and interesting contacts. This also accounts for his Stealth proficiency.
Sailor (Pirate) might also be appropriate.

Conan is proficient in Athletics and Survival, alternately Athletics and Intimidate.
Athletics, Intimidation, Perception, Stealth and Survival, all told, I reckon.

Conan rolled ridiculuosly well for his physical stats, and is above average for all his mental stats (particularly Charisma, at least a 14.)
Agreed.

Conan prefers Two-Handed Great Weapons and no armor (helps with Strealth!)
Nope. He uses whatever comes to hand! Tavern Brawler is a Feat he almost certainly has. His weapon of choice, I think, would be a Longsword which he can use 1-H OR 2-H.

Summary:

Race: V.Human
Class: Barbarian 2 / Fighter (Champion) 8
Background: Sailor (Pirate) - Bad Reputation
Stats: Godlike
Skills: Athletics, Intimidation, Perception, Stealth and Survival
Feats: Alert, Tavern Brawler, Lucky
Fighting Style: Great-Weapon Fighting(?)
Equipment: Longsword and anything he can steal.

Malifice
2015-11-09, 08:03 AM
Single Class Barbarian could about do it, but I'd be tempted by Champion Fighter with a 2-level Barbarian dip.

Agreed. Around level 8-10 seems about right.

Sailor (Pirate) might also be appropriate.

Athletics, Intimidation, Perception, Stealth and Survival, all told, I reckon.

Agreed.

Nope. He uses whatever comes to hand! Tavern Brawler is a Feat he almost certainly has. His weapon of choice, I think, would be a Longsword which he can use 1-H OR 2-H.

Summary:

Race: V.Human
Class: Barbarian 2 / Fighter (Champion) 8
Background: Sailor (Pirate) - Bad Reputation
Stats: Godlike
Skills: Athletics, Intimidation, Perception, Stealth and Survival
Feats: Alert, Tavern Brawler, Lucky
Fighting Style: Great-Weapon Fighting(?)
Equipment: Longsword and anything he can steal.

Refluffed Uthgardt Tribe background from SCAG also works.

He was also quite frequently called a thief. In fact he was as much nearly as much a thief as he was a warrior.

Second storey work, cunning action, expertise in athletics and perception works well.

I second the Champion idea. I'd still have him as more of a... well... barbarian.

Following his career path, I'd go Barbarian for a few levels, then thief then Champion fighter and more barbarian.

I disagree with the 'amazing stats' bit. He can be represented just fine without godly stats.

He gets (one rogue skill, 2 barbarian skills, 2 background skills, one human skill) with 2 at expertise.

Perception
Athletics (Expertise)
Survival (Expertise)
Steath
Water vehicles
Intimidate
Artisans tools (smith)
Thieves tools

Maybe Barb 5, Champ 4, Thief 3.

JellyPooga
2015-11-09, 09:02 AM
I disagree with the 'amazing stats' bit. He can be represented just fine without godly stats.

He's got very high Str, Dex and Con, at least above average Charisma and probably mid-range Wisdom. Using standard point buy and Standard Human, we're looking at something like (including Racial mods);
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 12

Hardly "mighty thews, catlike reflexes and predatory senses" territory. The above does the job, I guess, but I'd see him as having better than that. I'm not talking all-18's at level one, just better than standard PB would offer.

CNagy
2015-11-09, 09:02 AM
The "Conan has godly stats" idea basically came from Gygax's writeup in Dragon Magazine, where Conan's only low score was Wisdom; Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution clocked in at 18 (human starting maximum), Intelligence creeping up to 18 over time, same with Charisma. And in his prime, Conan is (per Gygax's chart) a 24/12 Fighter/Thief.

But that was basically taking everything Conan has done in every Howard story and writing it up in game form. The Conan of literature was more overpowered than any character of D&D lore that I am aware of... maybe Elminster does enough crazy stuff in his books as opposed to his character writeup, but that's comparing wizards and barbarians. Drizzt's writeup never game close to his in-book exploits, ditto Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle.

So with those necessary power decreases in mind, I'd say you could make Conan without requiring him to have godly stats.

Malifice
2015-11-09, 09:42 AM
He's got very high Str, Dex and Con, at least above average Charisma and probably mid-range Wisdom. Using standard point buy and Standard Human, we're looking at something like (including Racial mods);
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 12

Hardly "mighty thews, catlike reflexes and predatory senses" territory.

Catlike reflexes? They have Dexterity scores of 15. So 1 less than Conan. Not bad reflexes for a bloke carrying his bulk!

Hes also stronger than a black bear with a Str of 16. Presuming a bump to Strength or two as he levels, he's probably as strong as a polar bear while in his prime.

JellyPooga
2015-11-09, 09:53 AM
Catlike reflexes? They have Dexterity scores of 15. So 1 less than Conan. Not bad reflexes for a bloke carrying his bulk!

Hes also stronger than a black bear with a Str of 16. Presuming a bump to Strength or two as he levels, he's probably as strong as a polar bear while in his prime.

Hmm, assuming we're sticking to Level 10, he's got 2 (maybe 3) ASI's. That's enough to get him to Str:20 (which, let's face it, he should have...he beats everything by being stronger than it). Yeah, on consideration I guess I'd be happy-ish with Standard PB Human. I'd still like his Dex/Con to be a little higher and maybe a bit more in Cha, but maybe I'm just being "greedy"!

Longcat
2015-11-09, 09:57 AM
and no armor (helps with Strealth!)

Outside of the movies, Conan usually wore the best armor he could get his hands on. For a 5e game, I'd give him Half-Plate or Breastplate (if he wants to sneak).

JellyPooga
2015-11-09, 10:04 AM
Outside of the movies, Conan usually wore the best armor he could get his hands on.

To be fair, this was still quite often "no armour"!