PDA

View Full Version : Aces & Eights

kjones
2007-05-29, 07:58 AM
Sometimes, I feel like I'm the only one in the world who's played this little gem by KenzerCo, but they're coming out with the Shattered Frontiers sourcebook pretty soon, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else has ever played it.

It's a Wild West RPG, and the gunfights are incredibly rules-intensive, especially once you start laying on the "Advanced" rules (gunplay being so complex in and of itself that movement counts as "advanced), and it captures the realism of how damn hard it can be to hit somebody with a pistol pretty well. They have this neat little mechanic called the Shot Clock, which is a transparent grid you place over a silhouette to determine where your shot went (since hit location matters, and a near miss can still cause a "flinch").

Anyways, I love this game, and when I get tired of the hyper-fantasy D&D combat of "I hit him nine times in six seconds, and unless he drops to below 1HP he doesn't even notice", I can appreciate a realistic game with detailed combat. Anyone else ever play? (Or find it intriguing?)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-29, 08:00 AM
You may just be alone. I might be interested though.

Dizlag
2007-05-29, 11:04 AM
You're not alone kjones! I was part of a group that played Hackmaster, the tongue-in-cheek roleplaying system based on AD&D 1st Edition. I had a wild elf shaman with short-term memory loss, scoliosis and a goiter. Muhahaha!

They're gonna be playing Aces and Eights soon. It looks pretty kewls.

Have fun!

Dizlag

Were-Sandwich
2007-05-29, 11:16 AM
sounds interesting.

kjones
2007-05-29, 08:41 PM
You're not alone kjones! I was part of a group that played Hackmaster, the tongue-in-cheek roleplaying system based on AD&D 1st Edition. I had a wild elf shaman with short-term memory loss, scoliosis and a goiter. Muhahaha!

They're gonna be playing Aces and Eights soon. It looks pretty kewls.

Have fun!

Dizlag

Hackmaster isn't Tounge-In-Cheek. It's serious.

Deadly serious.

Oh, who am I kidding? They've got a frickin' module called "The Temple Of Existential Evil" for cryin' out loud!

However, KenzerCo does pretty much have the "incredibly complicated RPG" genre down pat. I was considering DMing a HackMaster campaign but gave it up after I read through the Alignment Infraction Points rules. I mean, how the Sam Frick am I supposed to keep track of something like that? Impossible.

Anyway, a few tips about A&E: Don't fire two pistols at once, no matter how tempting it is. Never fanfire. Use rifles if they're available. Stay under cover.

Oh, and also, set aside at least 6 hours for a moderately sized gunfight... we played for that long without killing anyone, and making it through about 30 seconds of game time.

AMAZING game.

Matthew
2007-06-06, 05:36 PM
Haha. sounds like MERP. Aces & Eights is certainly one game I would like to have a go at, but I'm not sure if I can cope with such a Byzantine rule structure (six hours for one thirty second gunfight... gah!)