PDA

View Full Version : Attuning Magic Items

Edgerunner
2015-11-09, 06:20 AM
I am looking at Magic Items that need to be Attuned by a particular class.

Does this mean that Only that class can use it.. or just that you need to get someone of that class to attune it for your use?

Malifice
2015-11-09, 06:24 AM
I am looking at Magic Items that need to be Attuned by a particular class.

Does this mean that Only that class can use it.. or just that you need to get someone of that class to attune it for your use?

Only that class can use it.

Edgerunner
2015-11-09, 06:28 AM
Only that class can use it.

I am looking at a Staff of the Woodlands (requires attunement by a Druid).

I am thinking that a Nature domain Cleric should be able to use it if the DM allows it.
Any reason why this shouldn't be so?

hymer
2015-11-09, 06:42 AM

I am thinking that a Nature domain Cleric should be able to use it if the DM allows it.

Mostly that it's considerably better for a cleric than a druid. The staff gives the druids more of what's already on their spell list. The cleric would (I believe) get access to a handful of spells that s/he wouldn't have otherwise. Clerics are also more prone to whack people with melee weapons than druids, so they can make better use of the bonus to-hit and damage with the staff.
Actually, the staff isn't all that great for a druid. Very thematic, and gives you a little more stuff on a given day, but doesn't expand your options.

Edit: Looks like three spells. Awaken, Locate Animals or Plants and Speak with Plants. The latter is surprisingly versatile.

Shining Wrath
2015-11-09, 06:50 AM
Sure, you can attune anything your DM allows. Rule 0 and all that.

But the argument that WotC should have written RAW differently seems weak.

Malifice
2015-11-09, 07:02 AM

Ask your DM.

gullveig
2015-11-09, 08:13 PM

As hymer said... It is more useful for a cleric than a druid because it gives something the cleric doesn't have.

The consequence of giving to the cleric is that it can make the staff better than it should be.