PDA

View Full Version : Charisma based pure melee?

Talya
2007-05-29, 08:54 AM
I've got a party-member in a non-good (mostly evil) swashbuckling-type campaign asking me for a non-caster pure melee class based on charisma.

Anybody know of any? Poor bastard said "What book is Elan's Dashing Swordsman PrC in?" Sorry, Giant made that up from scratch...

SITB
2007-05-29, 08:59 AM
Demented did a PrC based on the dashing sword. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29882)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-29, 09:01 AM
I made several charisma based Prcs. One is a intimidate based one that won't be useful but I did make a feinting based one that I posted a while ago. I'll find it when the search function lets me.

edit: ah hah http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39327

Oh well, it's more Int based but still has bluff synergy.

Person_Man
2007-05-29, 09:47 AM
Hexblade 4/Paladin of Tyranny 4/full BAB PrC X. Buy a Ring of Evasion and a reach weapon. You're now 95% immune to all magic that allows a Save. Get something that will let you fly, and you're immune to most battlefield control magic. Max out Cha and Con. Take the Mageslayer feat (so casters can't cast defensively) and Divine Might (burn turn/control undead use for Cha to damage for 1 round).

Crusader X also works, if you have Tome of Battle.

Seffbasilisk
2007-05-29, 09:56 AM
Get the Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows from Dragon 314 page 22. 12,000gp. Add Cha bonus as fire damage to all melee and touch attacks.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-29, 09:57 AM
Hexblade 4/Paladin of Tyranny 4/full BAB PrC X. Buy a Ring of Evasion and a reach weapon. You're now 95% immune to all magic that allows a Save. Get something that will let you fly, and you're immune to most battlefield control magic. Max out Cha and Con. Take the Mageslayer feat (so casters can't cast defensively) and Divine Might (burn turn/control undead use for Cha to damage for 1 round).

Crusader X also works, if you have Tome of Battle.

I wouldn't call that a swashbuckling type, just a load of powerful abilities slapped together.

Stam
2007-05-29, 10:08 AM
Snowflake Wardance feat, from Frostburn. Allows you to add Cha mod to attack rolls for 2 rounds per Perform (dance) rank.

Bassetking
2007-05-29, 10:09 AM
What level character, Talya?

Taking the "Ghost" Template, with a Lesser Aaismar, and a ghost touch weapon, you can produce a stunningly effective Melee creature.

But... If you're going to do that, it's more fun to go into an all-out Charisma-fest, Heavily boost the Ghost's Ghosty-attacks DC's, and use the enemy's own fighters against him through Possession.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-29, 10:11 AM
Might I recommend slippers of battledancing?

Cha to damage and attack (subs for str/dex), if you move 10 ft while wearing them in a round.

Cost about 25K though, so that's an issue.

Snowflake wardance, cha to attack with slashing weapons. Battle dancer, +2 to hit when moving and using bardic music. Arcane strike, for sacrificing spell slots for damage (i.e. high CHA bard).

Slippers or the wardance are your best bet, the others are tied to bard.

DeadlyGrim
2007-05-29, 10:11 AM
Don't know any off hand that haven't been mentioned. However, check here X stat to Y bonus (http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=4584975) for every single "change what-goes-where" abilities. (Obviously, look under Charisma). Quite useful.

Tellah
2007-05-29, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't call that a swashbuckling type, just a load of powerful abilities slapped together.

What's to stop a Hexblade4/Paladin of Tyranny4 from swinging from the deck of the Black Pearl onto the deck of the Flying Dutchman, standing in the rigging and dueling with Davy Jones? The player can roleplay it however he likes--Person Man has offered up a solid Charisma-based build.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-29, 10:13 AM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a

It involves magic but only for 1 level.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-29, 10:14 AM
Dervish with slippers of battledancing? So appropriate.

Tengu
2007-05-29, 10:26 AM
Bard/Cleric/Arcane Duelist with Snowflake Wardance and Divine Might. Constant charisma to AC, charisma to attack and damage many times a day.

If you do not want 3.0 stuff, replace Arcane Duelist with Monk (or Chaos Monk to avoid alignment issues with Bard) and take Ascetic Mage.

ocato
2007-05-29, 10:27 AM
Battle Bard

Get snowflake wardance, power attack, song of the heart, arcane strike, etc etc

Buff yourself up good and get a crystal echoblade from the magic items compendium and you can divvy up a bard slap that'll leave em crying. Then if they're a'runnin', throw your sword via whirling blades.

You can make a bard that is fairly good at the fightin'.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-29, 10:44 AM
What's to stop a Hexblade4/Paladin of Tyranny4 from swinging from the deck of the Black Pearl onto the deck of the Flying Dutchman, standing in the rigging and dueling with Davy Jones? The player can roleplay it however he likes--Person Man has offered up a solid Charisma-based build.

Well, there's the fact that Person Man suggested he use a reach weapon for increased effectiveness.

Still, I dislike seemingly illogical ability picking up.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-29, 10:46 AM
It makes sense. He was ostracized as a child for curses, etc, and learned how to curse better, then became a paragon of angsty cursing. Thus, a paladin.
:smalltongue:

Droodle
2007-05-29, 12:38 PM
Well, there's the fact that Person Man suggested he use a reach weapon for increased effectiveness.

Still, I dislike seemingly illogical ability picking up.Use a whip dagger. I'd say that would be more than flashy enough to use for swashbuckling.

LeeMon
2007-05-29, 12:54 PM
There was also the Battledancer base class from Dragon Compendium. It was originally in Dragon #159, but the Compendium ported it to 3.5 rules.

It's a full BAB class that can add CHA to defense. It gains a monk's unarmed damage and has a variety of class abilities and attacks that are based on Tumble checks.

F.L.
2007-05-29, 08:38 PM
I'd recommend Ki Shout and Greater Ki Shout, if available. What's nicer than a fighter who can force other fighters in the vicinity to make will saves?

JaronK
2007-05-29, 09:48 PM
Iajuitsu Master 5 lets you deal your charisma modifier many times over in damage on any hit where you catch your opponent flat footed and draw your weapon in the same round. This can be as much as 10 times your bonus, I believe. Combine it with a level of Warblade for Sapphire Nightmare Blade, plus some Hexblade and Paladin of Tyranny, and you're good to go.

One solid build: OA Samurai 2/Monk 2/Swashbuckler 3/Warblade 3/Shou Disciple 5/Iajuitsu Master 5

That lets you flurry (at -1 to hit) with a katana, adding Int to damage as well as reflex saves, and then if you use quick draw with Sapphire Nightmare Blade you can do huge amounts of damage based on charisma. Kung Fu Genius would help cut down on MAD here.

Another option would be OA Samurai 2/Warblade 2/Hexblade 4/Paladin of Tyranny 3/Iajuitsu Master 9

That grants the charisma to damage of IM, plus charisma to saves twice. Not too shabby.

JaronK