PDA

View Full Version : Favoured Class question

kkortekaas
2007-05-29, 10:01 AM
Hello,
I've got a question regarding Favoured Classes, am I able to, as a Human Rogue, do the following.

1 - Rogue 1
2 - Rogue 1 / Ranger 1
3 - Rogue 1 / Ranger 1 / Fighter 1 (Declaring Fighter as favoured)
4 - Rogue 1 / Ranger 2 / Fighter 1
5 - Rogue 2 / Ranger 2 / Fighter 1
6 - Rogue 2 / Ranger 2 / Fighter 2
7 - Rogue 3 / Ranger 2 / Fighter 2
8 - At this point either Ranger or Rogue, or Shadowdancer.

Can I do this without incuring the XP penalty, regardless of how gimped the build is?

Thanks a bunch.

Dark Tira
2007-05-29, 10:05 AM
Yes you can. Though as a side note you don't need to declare your favored class, as a human it's always whichever is highest.

DeadlyGrim
2007-05-29, 10:06 AM
Up until level 8, you could do that with no XP penalty even if none of them were your favorite class since all of them were within one level of each other.

After that, your favored class (i.e. the one that doesn't count for purposes of multiclass penalty) is always the highest level one. So, Rogue would probably be your favored class.

EDIT: Oops, second too late.

kkortekaas
2007-05-29, 10:15 AM
Awesome
Thanks.

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-05-29, 10:51 AM
the rules about favored class are a bit funny though
a ranger 4/ rogue 4/fighter 1 will get an XP penalty
and a ranger 5/ rogue 2/fighter 2 won't get an XP penalty.

this has always bothered me.

Lord Tataraus
2007-05-29, 10:55 AM
Wow...you use favored class? People still do that?!?!?!
Personally I sratch the favored class and tell my players to find a teacher, you don't just say "I want to a wizard" and instantly know everything you need to just because you chopped off a dragons head with a lucky shot.

Yuki Akuma
2007-05-29, 11:18 AM
Wow...you use favored class? People still do that?!?!?!
Personally I sratch the favored class and tell my players to find a teacher, you don't just say "I want to a wizard" and instantly know everything you need to just because you chopped off a dragons head with a lucky shot.

Yes, surprisingly, some people do actually play by the rules as written.

Crazy, huh?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-29, 11:28 AM
Note that any race could take a build like this without incurring XP penalties, as none of the base classes are ever more than a single level apart anyway.

Dark Tira
2007-05-29, 11:33 AM
the rules about favored class are a bit funny though
a ranger 4/ rogue 4/fighter 1 will get an XP penalty
and a ranger 5/ rogue 2/fighter 2 won't get an XP penalty.

this has always bothered me.

Actually it depends on the build. For example, a formerly Human Dragonborn can be a ranger 4/ rogue 4/ fighter 1 without an XP penalty.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-29, 11:50 AM
Actually it depends on the build. For example, a formerly Human Dragonborn can be a ranger 4/ rogue 4/ fighter 1 without an XP penalty.
But that's because a dragonborn's favored class becomes fighter. It is no longer just "the highest level class." Therefore you simply ignore fighter levels.

Person_Man
2007-05-29, 01:16 PM
Instead of Rogue 3/Ranger 2/Fighter 2, you may wish to just be a strait Scout.

Scout gets Trapfinding, 8 Skill points per level, bonus feats from a good list, Skirmish, Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, Fast Movement, Flawless Stride, Trackless Step, and other goodies. Depending on what you're going for, it'll probably accomplish everything you want, but better.

Dark Tira
2007-05-29, 01:19 PM
But that's because a dragonborn's favored class becomes fighter. It is no longer just "the highest level class." Therefore you simply ignore fighter levels.

Ok, it was a bad example. It still works with something like Ranger 8/Rogue 4/ Fighter 1 because Dragonborn gives an additional favored class of fighter on top of the favored class: any.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-29, 01:36 PM
Ok, it was a bad example. It still works with something like Ranger 8/Rogue 4/ Fighter 1 because Dragonborn gives an additional favored class of fighter on top of the favored class: any.
Oh. Is that what's in the "Mechanics of Rebirth" sidebar? (I do not own Races of the Dragon and must reference the online description on the WotC website, which doesn't include the sidebar, though, as a strict excerpt, the Favored Class section references it.)