PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropes

ZhanStrider
2015-11-09, 01:04 PM
Are there any good spells that make fighting werewolves easier? Force them into human shape or something?
Would it be unreasonable to ask my DM if I could make a "Disrupt lycanthrope" cantrip?

ShurikVch
2015-11-09, 01:55 PM
Countermoon (SpComp) is a 2nd level Druid spell which force Lycanthropes to change back into their natural (Humanoid or Giant) form, then prevent from change for the next 12 hours

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-09, 01:56 PM
Most of your answers can be found in the following thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?92130-3-5-Methods-of-forcing-shapechanger-s-original-form

Or I can quote supermonkeyjoe in another thread, "Discern shapechanger, level 3 sorcerer/wizard spell on page 184 of races of eberron..."

Finally, I can suggest the domain power of the Moon Domain.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-09, 02:38 PM
Church Inquisitor (Complete Divine, pages 26-28) is a nice PrC. It grants the Inquisition domain (http://ftm3.altervista.org/ASMoNM/domains.html#Inquisition) at level 1, and fully advances divine casting.

Force Shapechange (Su): A church inquisitor of 6th level or higher can force a creature into its natural form.

Vizzerdrix
2015-11-09, 03:07 PM
Create water and a bucket always works for me. You just have to grapple them (get the party to dog pile them), and hold their head under until the bubbles stop.

Flickerdart
2015-11-09, 03:09 PM
Create water and a bucket always works for me. You just have to grapple them (get the party to dog pile them), and hold their head under until the bubbles stop.
Given that the average lycanthrope has a pretty heroic Constitution, this might actually be the least efficient way of fighting them.

Vizzerdrix
2015-11-09, 03:14 PM
Given that the average lycanthrope has a pretty heroic Constitution, this might actually be the least efficient way of fighting them.

YUS! But if the OP wants to do it with a cantrip ( without too many shenanigans).

Flickerdart
2015-11-09, 03:35 PM
YUS! But if the OP wants to do it with a cantrip ( without too many shenanigans).
Given the name (disrupt shapeshifter) I am assuming the parallel is disrupt undead (1d6 damage) and not slay living.

ZhanStrider
2015-11-09, 03:59 PM
Given the name (disrupt shapeshifter) I am assuming the parallel is disrupt undead (1d6 damage) and not slay living.

Yes. That.

Flickerdart
2015-11-09, 05:07 PM
Silvered weapon (BoED, Paladin 1, Ranger 2, Consecrated Harrier 2) helps for obvious reasons.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-11-09, 05:42 PM
A general note, anything that forces a [Shapeshifter] like a Werewolf into a different form can change back into any form it normally can due to the subtype. You need something that specifies blocking further shifting like the Countermoon spell mentioned above.

ZhanStrider
2015-11-09, 07:52 PM
A general note, anything that forces a [Shapeshifter] like a Werewolf into a different form can change back into any form it normally can due to the subtype. You need something that specifies blocking further shifting like the Countermoon spell mentioned above.

Countermoon is basically EXACTLY what I needed, I'll just have to talk to my DM about letting me have it dispite being a sorcerer

Inevitability
2015-11-10, 11:06 AM
Countermoon is basically EXACTLY what I needed, I'll just have to talk to my DM about letting me have it dispite being a sorcerer

If he doesn't like the idea, you still have several ways to get the spell. First, you could just point out the tiny 'sorcerers can learn new and unusual spells through study' bit. You could also ask him for a weak runestaff-esque custom item, that would let you add Countermoon to your known spells while you are holding it.

Finally, you could pick Extra Spell (Countermoon) and eventually retrain it after the quest.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-10, 11:11 AM
Spell research is built into the rules. You just negotiate with your DM for the cost (time, gp) required and the adjustments (usually an increase in level) to research a Sorcerer version of the spell.

ZhanStrider
2015-11-10, 12:19 PM
Spell research is built into the rules. You just negotiate with your DM for the cost (time, gp) required and the adjustments (usually an increase in level) to research a Sorcerer version of the spell.

Making it a 3rd level spell would suck for me. Can't cast higher than level 2 spells yet

Inevitability
2015-11-10, 12:31 PM

I believe you don't negotiate with the DM at all RAW, you just pay a flat 1000 GP/level fee.

Then again, that's either ridiculous or negligible and you should probably create a new formula. Perhaps something like five hundred times the spell's level squared (cantrips having an effective level of 0.5)? That way, you get spell research prizes ranging from to 125 GP to 40,500 GP.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-10, 03:00 PM
I believe you don't negotiate with the DM at all RAW, you just pay a flat 1000 GP/level fee.
That's what the negotiation is about: setting the level in your class, as opposed to the class you want to copy from.