PDA

View Full Version : Undying Light Bladelock Monk Build

DwarfDruid
2015-11-09, 01:45 PM
Considering making a build that I think surpasses the classic Fighter Warlock Multiclass in both DPR and is much less MAD. Prove me wrong--if I am.

Half Elf Level 2 Monk/Level 12 Warlock (Undying Light, Blade Pact)

Use a quarter staff (d8 damage)

Get the Armor of Shadows invocation (Mage armor)

Standard Array Half Elf 16 DEX, 16 CHA , 14 CON, 12 WIS, 10 STR, 9 INT

At Lvl 14 you could do quite a bit of damage.

Thirsting Blade 2(Qtrstf+DEX+Lifedrinker CHA+Hex)+Flurry of blows 2(Unarmed strike+DEX+Hex)

2(1d8+5+5+3.5)+2(1d4+5+3.5)=58 avg damage (STR based Fighter warlock with Polearm master would do 54)

Dex based allows for 18 AC when maxed (same as plate), but also provides higher initiative.

Like a fiend warlock, you get fire shield, but you get to add your charisma as an undying light warlock to it's thorns damage. You can also get right back up, when knocked unconscious, and do AOE Radiant damage And, perhaps my favorite, you can heal.

I know I miss the opportunity attack from polearm master, but is that completely necessary? DM's tend to not charge you when you have it.

Thoughts? Is there something I'm missing that would make the fighter build better, or this build better?

Finieous
2015-11-09, 02:11 PM
At a glance, how are you making concentration checks to keep hex (and other concentration spells) up in melee? Fighter 1 offers Con save proficiency. You probably must burn a feat on Warcaster, but even then, with non-proficient Con +2 you're losing concentration at a 12.25% clip every time you're hit (more for 21+ damage).

DwarfDruid
2015-11-09, 02:50 PM
At a glance, how are you making concentration checks to keep hex (and other concentration spells) up in melee? Fighter 1 offers Con save proficiency. You probably must burn a feat on Warcaster, but even then, with non-proficient Con +2 you're losing concentration at a 12.25% clip every time you're hit (more for 21+ damage).

That is a very good point. Thank you.

EvilAnagram
2015-11-09, 03:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Thirsting Blade requires 14 levels of Warlock, doesn't it?

Santra
2015-11-09, 03:16 PM
Correct me if I'm weong, but Thirsting Blade requires 14 levels of Warlock, doesn't it?

Only twelve levels

bid
2015-11-09, 06:40 PM
Standard Array Half Elf 10 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 8 INT, 12 WIS, 16 CHA
You need Wis13 to MC. And you can't Int9 with standard array.

numerek
2015-11-09, 07:26 PM
Considering making a build that I think surpasses the classic Fighter Warlock Multiclass in both DPR and is much less MAD. Prove me wrong--if I am.

Half Elf Level 2 Monk/Level 12 Warlock (Undying Light, Blade Pact)

Use a quarter staff (d8 damage)

Get the Armor of Shadows invocation (Mage armor)

Standard Array Half Elf 16 DEX, 16 CHA , 14 CON, 12 WIS, 10 STR, 9 INT

At Lvl 14 you could do quite a bit of damage.

Thirsting Blade 2(Qtrstf+DEX+Lifedrinker CHA+Hex)+Flurry of blows 2(Unarmed strike+DEX+Hex)

2(1d8+5+5+3.5)+2(1d4+5+3.5)=58 avg damage (STR based Fighter warlock with Polearm master would do 54)

Dex based allows for 18 AC when maxed (same as plate), but also provides higher initiative.

Like a fiend warlock, you get fire shield, but you get to add your charisma as an undying light warlock to it's thorns damage. You can also get right back up, when knocked unconscious, and do AOE Radiant damage And, perhaps my favorite, you can heal.

I know I miss the opportunity attack from polearm master, but is that completely necessary? DM's tend to not charge you when you have it.

Thoughts? Is there something I'm missing that would make the fighter build better, or this build better?
Your Flurry of Blows round damage is going to be rare, you have to have targeted hex on them the turn before, it has to not die to your friends and it has to survive til your last attack and you have to have 1 of your 2 ki points and your using one of your 3 spell slots.(yes I'm aware both refresh on a short rest)

Your damage calculation doesn't match your build, you won't get +5 from lifedrinker until at least 16th warlock level or 4th monk level which would be 18th or 16th character level respectively, when you get your 4th ASI.
And at 17th character level your eldritch blast deals 4d10+4d6+20 without things competing for your bonus action as long as you take 2 warlock levels and put 2 ability score increases in charisma, and if you stayed warlock the whole time you would get the great foresight.

lordshadowisle
2015-11-09, 08:06 PM
Interesting idea, OP. The main stumbling block is that Flurry of Blows only lasts 2 rounds, after which the DPR drops off quite a bit. Adding in the higher chance of Hex dropping due to worse CON saves, I'll say on average, this build deals less sustained damage than a classic fighter/bladelock.

You need Wis13 to MC. And you can't Int9 with standard array.
His build is still possible, he can buy 8, 15, 13, 8, 13, 14. Just that he'll need to dump both INT and STR.

bid
2015-11-10, 01:11 AM
His build is still possible, he can buy 8, 15, 13, 8, 13, 14. Just that he'll need to dump both INT and STR.
Yeah but then it's not the standard array anymore. :smalltongue::smallwink: